Jump to topic:

Weird Things You Think About

Harper
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2015 12:59:09 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
What are some things that freak you out/ amaze you every time you think about them?

Mine are thinking about how I could have been born into any one of millions of different situations or families, thinking about how big the universe is, imagining the out-of-work lives of cashiers or teachers (who would've thunk, they have lives, loves, and fears too), imagining how violent people/ people you hate were like as a child, trying to imagine death, thinking about how a bundle of nerves came to produce my consciousness, looking at a stranger and thinking "we are part of the same species-- we're practically related.", wondering if I really have free will when I'm making a decision, de ja vu, aand remembering that even people I think are stunningly beautiful have to deal with all the less-than-graceful details of human life (like pooping!).
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2015 4:50:25 PM
I often think about if anyone else looks down at their watch or cell phone to see what time it is and it's always the same time of day when they look. Me for instance 9:11 and 4:27 more than anything else. It's weird.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2015 6:39:23 PM
At 5/31/2015 12:59:09 PM, Harper wrote:
What are some things that freak you out/ amaze you every time you think about them?

Mine are thinking about how I could have been born into any one of millions of different situations or families, thinking about how big the universe is, imagining the out-of-work lives of cashiers or teachers (who would've thunk, they have lives, loves, and fears too), imagining how violent people/ people you hate were like as a child, trying to imagine death, thinking about how a bundle of nerves came to produce my consciousness, looking at a stranger and thinking "we are part of the same species-- we're practically related.", wondering if I really have free will when I'm making a decision, de ja vu, aand remembering that even people I think are stunningly beautiful have to deal with all the less-than-graceful details of human life (like pooping!).

It doesn't work as well to make a thread about such random things, it's best to concentrate on one - any one of those - as to keep the thread focused. Not that I'm an expert on thread-making or anything, my last three threads got zero replies... Either I'm finally outgrowing this site completely or else this site just sucks now lol
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2015 6:44:31 PM
At 5/31/2015 4:50:25 PM, sadolite wrote:
I often think about if anyone else looks down at their watch or cell phone to see what time it is and it's always the same time of day when they look. Me for instance 9:11 and 4:27 more than anything else. It's weird.

https://www.youtube.com...

This speech seems to be somewhat appropriate to describe why you see these numbers. Once you tune into them, you notice them more...
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2015 6:23:16 AM
At 5/31/2015 4:50:25 PM, sadolite wrote:

It's confirmation bias. Because of the obvious association with 9/11 and 24/7, and the fact that you are more likely to check your watch near the start and end of a working day, these times register with you more than others. Probably.