Jump to topic:

I Need to Vent

Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2015 7:43:25 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Recently I graduated. Now, when someone in my family graduates they're typically given a car (to be fair, the car in question is generally very cheap, often very old, and a poorly functioning vehicle that my dad usually has to make numerous repairs on to get it working). Still, the cost of the car, combined with all those repairs (that is, the extra parts that are ordered for the repairs), should be at least like a thousand dollars or more, right?

So anyway, my parents don't trust me on the road. They think I'd crash, and they're probably right. So, instead I got a laptop. I was okay with this arrangement; after all, a laptop that can use the internet AND have Microsoft Office is an improvement over a Kindle Fire with no Microsoft Office, right? (I mean, after all, when I type up my debates I have to do it all in one sitting, instead of being able to prepare it gradually over several days; same went for my fanfictions).

At first, it worked fine. It had internet and Microsoft Office, and it was working great. I do not think that I ever put the laptop through anything that would break it or cause it to not work as good. But then, the internet stopped working on it. I learned that if I plugged it in to a certain thing in a certain room of the house the internet on it would work.
But then, like the next day, the internet stopped working even when plugged in to that thing. So now the internet on it isn't working at all.

I was certainly upset about this, but at least there was one bright side. The Microsoft Office still worked. So, I was typing on it. But then about an hour ago (I think), it started acting funny. I'm bad at describing things like this, but let's just say it's causing multiple files of the same document to pop up for no reason at all and I've got to "pick one" to save, though none of the options have everything that I wrote in that document on them (that is, they all contain most but not all of what I wrote). Whole paragraphs are deleted and it's done this repeatedly. Not only that, but now it's freezing up on me and forcing me to exit the document without being able to save my progress.

Bottom line: my graduation gift doesn't even work right, and it's brand new. Is it really too much to ask for brand new technology to work the way it's supposed to and not be total crap? I mean, really?
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2015 9:34:03 PM
At 5/31/2015 7:43:25 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
*hugs*
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
SolonKR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2015 9:46:20 PM
Hmm... what do you mean by "certain thing"? The router? If that's the case, try turning it off for ~30 seconds, and then turning it back on. If that doesn't work, try doing the same thing for the modem. If the internet still isn't working, and it was before, you could always do a system refresh or restore. If it still doesn't work, you should contact your ISP and see if there's some issue on that end. If it still doesn't work, it's probably a faulty component of the laptop and you should be able to replace it, if it's still under warranty.

As for Word, you could always try uninstalling and reinstalling it. If there's no bigger issue with your computer caused by something else, that might solve the problem.

Still, that's a real nuisance. Sorry, man.
SO to Bailey, the love of my life <3
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2015 10:17:07 PM
At 5/31/2015 9:46:20 PM, SolonKR wrote:
Hmm... what do you mean by "certain thing"? The router? If that's the case, try turning it off for ~30 seconds, and then turning it back on. If that doesn't work, try doing the same thing for the modem. If the internet still isn't working, and it was before, you could always do a system refresh or restore. If it still doesn't work, you should contact your ISP and see if there's some issue on that end. If it still doesn't work, it's probably a faulty component of the laptop and you should be able to replace it, if it's still under warranty.

As for Word, you could always try uninstalling and reinstalling it. If there's no bigger issue with your computer caused by something else, that might solve the problem.

Still, that's a real nuisance. Sorry, man.

The Microsoft Office started working again, but I don't know when it'll mess up next.

The DDO Blog:

Lee001
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2015 10:22:15 PM
Try taking it to a computer repair shop. Does it have a warranty?
"Condoms are societal constructs created by the government to restrain 'Murican freedom!"-SolonKR

"But I jest and digress (sick rhymes, yo); every boob is equal in the eyes of the Lord."- SolonKR

"Oh Hey, Seeing Artichokes Makes Me Want to Have Sex."- SolonKR

"Yep, but anyone who touches my hair immediately ascends to the heavens..You're already an angel, so touching my hair can do nothing <3" -SolonKR

My hubby Hayd <3 <3
Nivek
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2015 1:25:57 AM
Calling Microsoft support centers won't help, they'll just transfer you to a person in another CONTINENT, annoying as hell. Just pirate the damn thing off kat.cr
Lee001
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2015 5:39:01 AM
At 6/1/2015 1:25:57 AM, Nivek wrote:
Calling Microsoft support centers won't help, they'll just transfer you to a person in another CONTINENT, annoying as hell. Just pirate the damn thing off kat.cr

Very true..lol. They would tranfer you to someone who can *hardly* speak English lol.
"Condoms are societal constructs created by the government to restrain 'Murican freedom!"-SolonKR

"But I jest and digress (sick rhymes, yo); every boob is equal in the eyes of the Lord."- SolonKR

"Yep, but anyone who touches my hair immediately ascends to the heavens..You're already an angel, so touching my hair can do nothing <3" -SolonKR

My hubby Hayd <3 <3
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2015 5:15:12 PM
Well, internet kicked in and now it's working fine.

The DDO Blog:

Lee001
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2015 6:58:22 PM
At 6/1/2015 5:15:12 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
Well, internet kicked in and now it's working fine.

For now...lol

My hubby Hayd <3 <3
Nivek
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2015 9:40:15 PM
At 6/1/2015 5:39:01 AM, Lee001 wrote:
Very true..lol. They would tranfer you to someone who can *hardly* speak English lol.

Hahaha so you've been there before. lmao
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2015 9:46:25 PM
Recently I graduated. Now, when someone in my family graduates they're typically given a car (to be fair, the car in question is generally very cheap, often very old, and a poorly functioning vehicle that my dad usually has to make numerous repairs on to get it working). Still, the cost of the car, combined with all those repairs (that is, the extra parts that are ordered for the repairs), should be at least like a thousand dollars or more, right?

So anyway, my parents don't trust me on the road. They think I'd crash, and they're probably right. So, instead I got a laptop. I was okay with this arrangement; after all, a laptop that can use the internet AND have Microsoft Office is an improvement over a Kindle Fire with no Microsoft Office, right? (I mean, after all, when I type up my debates I have to do it all in one sitting, instead of being able to prepare it gradually over several days; same went for my fanfictions).

At first, it worked fine. It had internet and Microsoft Office, and it was working great. I do not think that I ever put the laptop through anything that would break it or cause it to not work as good. But then, the internet stopped working on it. I learned that if I plugged it in to a certain thing in a certain room of the house the internet on it would work.
But then, like the next day, the internet stopped working even when plugged in to that thing. So now the internet on it isn't working at all.

I was certainly upset about this, but at least there was one bright side. The Microsoft Office still worked. So, I was typing on it. But then about an hour ago (I think), it started acting funny. I'm bad at describing things like this, but let's just say it's causing multiple files of the same document to pop up for no reason at all and I've got to "pick one" to save, though none of the options have everything that I wrote in that document on them (that is, they all contain most but not all of what I wrote). Whole paragraphs are deleted and it's done this repeatedly. Not only that, but now it's freezing up on me and forcing me to exit the document without being able to save my progress.

Bottom line: my graduation gift doesn't even work right, and it's brand new. Is it really too much to ask for brand new technology to work the way it's supposed to and not be total crap? I mean, really?

First World Problems.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2015 10:30:16 PM
At 6/3/2015 9:46:25 PM, PetersSmith wrote:

First World Problems.

Yeah, I know.

The DDO Blog:

Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2015 10:35:24 PM
At 6/3/2015 10:32:51 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:
Try Linux?

It started working (but now the internet's messing up again). Anyway, it'll probably start working soon (and then mess up again) in a continuous cycle.

The DDO Blog:

bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2015 10:37:21 PM
At 6/3/2015 10:35:24 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
Try Linux?

It started working (but now the internet's messing up again). Anyway, it'll probably start working soon (and then mess up again) in a continuous cycle.

In all seriousness, do you want some help with troubleshooting? You need to find out if you've got a hardware or software problem. And the Office thing sounds bad. Which makes me think possibly virus? Do you have antivirus installed?
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2015 10:40:50 PM
At 6/3/2015 10:37:21 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:
Try Linux?

In all seriousness, do you want some help with troubleshooting? You need to find out if you've got a hardware or software problem. And the Office thing sounds bad. Which makes me think possibly virus? Do you have antivirus installed?

The Microsoft Office thing hasn't happened since. There's the possibility of a hardware or software problem, but it's probably just trouble connecting to the internet at my house. It's probably not a virus, because I used it for the exact same websites I use on the Kindle Fire I'm currently using, and I doubt this thing has virus protection.

The DDO Blog:

Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2015 10:42:23 PM
The real issue here is simply that I have very little patience dealing with technology.

The DDO Blog:

bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2015 10:49:50 PM
At 6/3/2015 10:40:50 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
Try Linux?

The Microsoft Office thing hasn't happened since. There's the possibility of a hardware or software problem, but it's probably just trouble connecting to the internet at my house. It's probably not a virus, because I used it for the exact same websites I use on the Kindle Fire I'm currently using, and I doubt this thing has virus protection.

Viruses can only attack things they can attack. Windows is the most common OS on computers worth hacking, and Linux (which is what android is, which is what the Fire uses IIRC) is, for a variety of reasons, more difficult to exploit. But that's neither here nor there.

The wifi problem is interesting, sinc eyou said you have to plug in in a specific spot to get it to work? IFF its not hardware on the laptop's end, and IFF it's not a virus, that would lead me to think perhaps interference of some kind and the plug helps act almost as an antenna (I've actually had a few weird experiences like that). You could try a simple channel switch.
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2015 11:03:00 PM
At 6/3/2015 10:49:50 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:
Try Linux?

Viruses can only attack things they can attack. Windows is the most common OS on computers worth hacking, and Linux (which is what android is, which is what the Fire uses IIRC) is, for a variety of reasons, more difficult to exploit. But that's neither here nor there.

The wifi problem is interesting, sinc eyou said you have to plug in in a specific spot to get it to work? IFF its not hardware on the laptop's end, and IFF it's not a virus, that would lead me to think perhaps interference of some kind and the plug helps act almost as an antenna (I've actually had a few weird experiences like that). You could try a simple channel switch.

Channel switch?

The DDO Blog:

bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2015 11:06:30 PM
At 6/3/2015 11:03:00 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
At 6/3/2015 10:49:50 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:
Try Linux?

Channel switch?

Wifi transmits on channels. Some routers pick a specific channel, some try to choose it dynamically--so sometimes, you can manually change it to a channel and suddenly have no issues, because the channel it was on before was a great channel and all, but 10 other people on your block are using it. It's in the router settings.
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2015 10:25:06 AM

Just a suggestion... you can use many of the notebook sites on the Internet if you don't want to type everything in one sitting.
The thing is, I hate relativism. I hate relativism more than I hate everything else, excepting, maybe, fibreglass powerboats... What it overlooks, to put it briefly and crudely, is the fixed structure of human nature. - Jerry Fodor

Don't be a stat cynic:
http://www.debate.org...

Response to conservative views on deforestation:
http://www.debate.org...

Topics I'd like to debate (not debating ATM): http://tinyurl.com...