Total Posts:17|Showing Posts:1-17
Jump to topic:

People

YYW
Posts: 42,711
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2015 3:04:36 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
It is amazing to me how careless some people can be.

A 17 or 18 year old kid almost walked in front of a bus today, and got killed, right in front of me. I had to shout at him to get him back off the road, because he wasn't paying attention. His girlfriend gasped audibly.

A very old Floridian driver almost backed into a car in front of my apartment today. She was centimeters away when I walked past. I helped her finish parallel parking, preserving the car behind her.
Mike Pence's Criminal Liability for Trump Related Felonies:

http://www.debate.org...

Trump's Criminal Campaign and Presidency:

http://www.debate.org...

Where we were, on Trump:

http://www.debate.org...

Russia: The Update

http://www.debate.org...
bsh1
Posts: 28,975
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2015 3:24:49 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 6/7/2015 3:04:36 PM, YYW wrote:
It is amazing to me how careless some people can be.

A 17 or 18 year old kid almost walked in front of a bus today, and got killed, right in front of me. I had to shout at him to get him back off the road, because he wasn't paying attention. His girlfriend gasped audibly.

A very old Floridian driver almost backed into a car in front of my apartment today. She was centimeters away when I walked past. I helped her finish parallel parking, preserving the car behind her.

People are careless, and everyone has lapses, but people are also often generous and helpful. Your actions there demonstrate that. Perhaps many people aren't as caring as they should be, but insofar as people are willing to lend a hand or do good, there is always a ray of hope for humanity, however hapless we may seem.

*hugs*
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
YYW
Posts: 42,711
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2015 3:27:33 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 6/7/2015 3:24:49 PM, bsh1 wrote:
At 6/7/2015 3:04:36 PM, YYW wrote:
It is amazing to me how careless some people can be.

A 17 or 18 year old kid almost walked in front of a bus today, and got killed, right in front of me. I had to shout at him to get him back off the road, because he wasn't paying attention. His girlfriend gasped audibly.

A very old Floridian driver almost backed into a car in front of my apartment today. She was centimeters away when I walked past. I helped her finish parallel parking, preserving the car behind her.

People are careless, and everyone has lapses, but people are also often generous and helpful. Your actions there demonstrate that. Perhaps many people aren't as caring as they should be, but insofar as people are willing to lend a hand or do good, there is always a ray of hope for humanity, however hapless we may seem.

*hugs*

I suppose.

*hugs*
Mike Pence's Criminal Liability for Trump Related Felonies:

http://www.debate.org...

Trump's Criminal Campaign and Presidency:

http://www.debate.org...

Where we were, on Trump:

http://www.debate.org...

Russia: The Update

http://www.debate.org...
RevNge
Posts: 13,835
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2015 3:38:24 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 6/7/2015 3:04:36 PM, YYW wrote:
It is amazing to me how careless some people can be.

A 17 or 18 year old kid almost walked in front of a bus today, and got killed, right in front of me. I had to shout at him to get him back off the road, because he wasn't paying attention. His girlfriend gasped audibly.

For a second I thought you meant that he actually did get killed.

Cross both ways before you look the street...or something like that.
A very old Floridian driver almost backed into a car in front of my apartment today. She was centimeters away when I walked past. I helped her finish parallel parking, preserving the car behind her.

Not sure if her lack of driving skills is due to age or the state she's from.
RevNge
Posts: 13,835
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2015 3:41:02 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 6/7/2015 3:04:36 PM, YYW wrote:
It is amazing to me how careless some people can be.

A 17 or 18 year old kid almost walked in front of a bus today, and got killed, right in front of me. I had to shout at him to get him back off the road, because he wasn't paying attention. His girlfriend gasped audibly.

A very old Floridian driver almost backed into a car in front of my apartment today. She was centimeters away when I walked past. I helped her finish parallel parking, preserving the car behind her.

Also, I like how Fitzgerald put it in The Great Gatsby:

"You're a rotten driver," I protested. "Either you ought to be more careful, or you oughtn't to drive at all."

"I am careful."

"No, you're not."

"Well, other people are," she said lightly.

"What's that got to do with it?"

"They'll keep out of my way," she insisted. "It takes two to make an accident."

"Suppose you met somebody just as careless as yourself."

"I hope I never will," she answered. "I hate careless people. That's why I like you."
YYW
Posts: 42,711
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2015 3:51:28 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 6/7/2015 3:41:02 PM, RevNge wrote:
At 6/7/2015 3:04:36 PM, YYW wrote:
It is amazing to me how careless some people can be.

A 17 or 18 year old kid almost walked in front of a bus today, and got killed, right in front of me. I had to shout at him to get him back off the road, because he wasn't paying attention. His girlfriend gasped audibly.

A very old Floridian driver almost backed into a car in front of my apartment today. She was centimeters away when I walked past. I helped her finish parallel parking, preserving the car behind her.

Also, I like how Fitzgerald put it in The Great Gatsby:

"You're a rotten driver," I protested. "Either you ought to be more careful, or you oughtn't to drive at all."

"I am careful."

"No, you're not."

"Well, other people are," she said lightly.

"What's that got to do with it?"

"They'll keep out of my way," she insisted. "It takes two to make an accident."

"Suppose you met somebody just as careless as yourself."

"I hope I never will," she answered. "I hate careless people. That's why I like you."


lol I remember that :)
Mike Pence's Criminal Liability for Trump Related Felonies:

http://www.debate.org...

Trump's Criminal Campaign and Presidency:

http://www.debate.org...

Where we were, on Trump:

http://www.debate.org...

Russia: The Update

http://www.debate.org...
RevNge
Posts: 13,835
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2015 3:57:55 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 6/7/2015 3:51:28 PM, YYW wrote:
At 6/7/2015 3:41:02 PM, RevNge wrote:
At 6/7/2015 3:04:36 PM, YYW wrote:
It is amazing to me how careless some people can be.

A 17 or 18 year old kid almost walked in front of a bus today, and got killed, right in front of me. I had to shout at him to get him back off the road, because he wasn't paying attention. His girlfriend gasped audibly.

A very old Floridian driver almost backed into a car in front of my apartment today. She was centimeters away when I walked past. I helped her finish parallel parking, preserving the car behind her.

Also, I like how Fitzgerald put it in The Great Gatsby:

"You're a rotten driver," I protested. "Either you ought to be more careful, or you oughtn't to drive at all."

"I am careful."

"No, you're not."

"Well, other people are," she said lightly.

"What's that got to do with it?"

"They'll keep out of my way," she insisted. "It takes two to make an accident."

"Suppose you met somebody just as careless as yourself."

"I hope I never will," she answered. "I hate careless people. That's why I like you."


lol I remember that :)

Yeah...I liked that book. I can't say the same for the sophomores, though.
Sapphique
Posts: 4,306
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2015 8:37:01 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 6/7/2015 3:57:55 PM, RevNge wrote:
At 6/7/2015 3:51:28 PM, YYW wrote:
At 6/7/2015 3:41:02 PM, RevNge wrote:
At 6/7/2015 3:04:36 PM, YYW wrote:
It is amazing to me how careless some people can be.

A 17 or 18 year old kid almost walked in front of a bus today, and got killed, right in front of me. I had to shout at him to get him back off the road, because he wasn't paying attention. His girlfriend gasped audibly.

A very old Floridian driver almost backed into a car in front of my apartment today. She was centimeters away when I walked past. I helped her finish parallel parking, preserving the car behind her.

Also, I like how Fitzgerald put it in The Great Gatsby:

"You're a rotten driver," I protested. "Either you ought to be more careful, or you oughtn't to drive at all."

"I am careful."

"No, you're not."

"Well, other people are," she said lightly.

"What's that got to do with it?"

"They'll keep out of my way," she insisted. "It takes two to make an accident."

"Suppose you met somebody just as careless as yourself."

"I hope I never will," she answered. "I hate careless people. That's why I like you."


lol I remember that :)

Yeah...I liked that book. I can't say the same for the sophomores, though.

Eh...it was okay. The characters were so...ugh. I didn't like it the same way I liked, say, To Kill a Mockingbird when we read it last year. That book was nice.
DDO Beginners' Mafia Moderator -- PM me if you'd like to learn how to play mafia!

"We wondered what happiness would look like if we could give it a physical form...the shape of happiness might resemble glass...even though you don't usually notice it, it's still definitely there. You merely have to change your point of view slightly, and then that glass will sparkle when it reflects the light. I doubt that anything else could argue its own existence more eloquently." ~Lelouch
YamaVonKarma
Posts: 7,570
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2015 8:44:52 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 6/7/2015 8:37:01 PM, Sapphique wrote:
At 6/7/2015 3:57:55 PM, RevNge wrote:
At 6/7/2015 3:51:28 PM, YYW wrote:
At 6/7/2015 3:41:02 PM, RevNge wrote:
At 6/7/2015 3:04:36 PM, YYW wrote:
It is amazing to me how careless some people can be.

A 17 or 18 year old kid almost walked in front of a bus today, and got killed, right in front of me. I had to shout at him to get him back off the road, because he wasn't paying attention. His girlfriend gasped audibly.

A very old Floridian driver almost backed into a car in front of my apartment today. She was centimeters away when I walked past. I helped her finish parallel parking, preserving the car behind her.

Also, I like how Fitzgerald put it in The Great Gatsby:

"You're a rotten driver," I protested. "Either you ought to be more careful, or you oughtn't to drive at all."

"I am careful."

"No, you're not."

"Well, other people are," she said lightly.

"What's that got to do with it?"

"They'll keep out of my way," she insisted. "It takes two to make an accident."

"Suppose you met somebody just as careless as yourself."

"I hope I never will," she answered. "I hate careless people. That's why I like you."


lol I remember that :)

Yeah...I liked that book. I can't say the same for the sophomores, though.

Eh...it was okay. The characters were so...ugh. I didn't like it the same way I liked, say, To Kill a Mockingbird when we read it last year. That book was nice.

The movies are better, in both cases.
As a class, we all hated Daisy. Then a debate broke out about if she's a murderer.
People who I've called as mafia DP1:
TUF, and YYW
Sapphique
Posts: 4,306
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2015 8:54:11 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 6/7/2015 8:44:52 PM, YamaVonKarma wrote:
At 6/7/2015 8:37:01 PM, Sapphique wrote:
At 6/7/2015 3:57:55 PM, RevNge wrote:
At 6/7/2015 3:51:28 PM, YYW wrote:
At 6/7/2015 3:41:02 PM, RevNge wrote:
At 6/7/2015 3:04:36 PM, YYW wrote:
It is amazing to me how careless some people can be.

A 17 or 18 year old kid almost walked in front of a bus today, and got killed, right in front of me. I had to shout at him to get him back off the road, because he wasn't paying attention. His girlfriend gasped audibly.

A very old Floridian driver almost backed into a car in front of my apartment today. She was centimeters away when I walked past. I helped her finish parallel parking, preserving the car behind her.

Also, I like how Fitzgerald put it in The Great Gatsby:

"You're a rotten driver," I protested. "Either you ought to be more careful, or you oughtn't to drive at all."

"I am careful."

"No, you're not."

"Well, other people are," she said lightly.

"What's that got to do with it?"

"They'll keep out of my way," she insisted. "It takes two to make an accident."

"Suppose you met somebody just as careless as yourself."

"I hope I never will," she answered. "I hate careless people. That's why I like you."


lol I remember that :)

Yeah...I liked that book. I can't say the same for the sophomores, though.

Eh...it was okay. The characters were so...ugh. I didn't like it the same way I liked, say, To Kill a Mockingbird when we read it last year. That book was nice.

The movies are better, in both cases.
As a class, we all hated Daisy. Then a debate broke out about if she's a murderer.

Yeah, our class also did not like Daisy at all. The Great Gatsby actually fits in really well with YYW's OP since literally everyone in the book is so careless it's ridiculous.
DDO Beginners' Mafia Moderator -- PM me if you'd like to learn how to play mafia!

"We wondered what happiness would look like if we could give it a physical form...the shape of happiness might resemble glass...even though you don't usually notice it, it's still definitely there. You merely have to change your point of view slightly, and then that glass will sparkle when it reflects the light. I doubt that anything else could argue its own existence more eloquently." ~Lelouch
RevNge
Posts: 13,835
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2015 10:23:41 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 6/7/2015 8:37:01 PM, Sapphique wrote:
At 6/7/2015 3:57:55 PM, RevNge wrote:
At 6/7/2015 3:51:28 PM, YYW wrote:
At 6/7/2015 3:41:02 PM, RevNge wrote:
At 6/7/2015 3:04:36 PM, YYW wrote:
It is amazing to me how careless some people can be.

A 17 or 18 year old kid almost walked in front of a bus today, and got killed, right in front of me. I had to shout at him to get him back off the road, because he wasn't paying attention. His girlfriend gasped audibly.

A very old Floridian driver almost backed into a car in front of my apartment today. She was centimeters away when I walked past. I helped her finish parallel parking, preserving the car behind her.

Also, I like how Fitzgerald put it in The Great Gatsby:

"You're a rotten driver," I protested. "Either you ought to be more careful, or you oughtn't to drive at all."

"I am careful."

"No, you're not."

"Well, other people are," she said lightly.

"What's that got to do with it?"

"They'll keep out of my way," she insisted. "It takes two to make an accident."

"Suppose you met somebody just as careless as yourself."

"I hope I never will," she answered. "I hate careless people. That's why I like you."


lol I remember that :)

Yeah...I liked that book. I can't say the same for the sophomores, though.

Eh...it was okay. The characters were so...ugh. I didn't like it the same way I liked, say, To Kill a Mockingbird when we read it last year. That book was nice.

Oh, I hate most of the characters. I appreciate the themes and what the characters represented, though--I think it was an accurate depiction of the chaos in the 1920's.

I liked To Kill a Mockingbird as well. I think there was a meme of the court scene called "Justice for Treyvon" or something, actually.
Rubikx
Posts: 226
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2015 10:56:55 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 6/7/2015 3:04:36 PM, YYW wrote:
It is amazing to me how careless some people can be.

A 17 or 18 year old kid almost walked in front of a bus today, and got killed, right in front of me. I had to shout at him to get him back off the road, because he wasn't paying attention. His girlfriend gasped audibly.

A very old Floridian driver almost backed into a car in front of my apartment today. She was centimeters away when I walked past. I helped her finish parallel parking, preserving the car behind her.

I don't know how many of you would have heard of it. But where I live we have a thing every year called "The Calgary Stampede" and its called "the greatest outdoor show on earth". Because its so huge tons of people come every year. I worked at directing traffic/pedestrians at one of the main entrances and it was ridiculous how clueless people are. I mean a person in a florescent vest yelling at you while signalling you to stop with their hands would be a big enough hint to stop. But I was consistently proved wrong and am honestly surprised nobody was killed by walking through traffic.
ShabShoral
Posts: 4,013
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2015 11:15:18 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 6/7/2015 8:44:52 PM, YamaVonKarma wrote:
At 6/7/2015 8:37:01 PM, Sapphique wrote:
At 6/7/2015 3:57:55 PM, RevNge wrote:
At 6/7/2015 3:51:28 PM, YYW wrote:
At 6/7/2015 3:41:02 PM, RevNge wrote:
At 6/7/2015 3:04:36 PM, YYW wrote:
It is amazing to me how careless some people can be.

A 17 or 18 year old kid almost walked in front of a bus today, and got killed, right in front of me. I had to shout at him to get him back off the road, because he wasn't paying attention. His girlfriend gasped audibly.

A very old Floridian driver almost backed into a car in front of my apartment today. She was centimeters away when I walked past. I helped her finish parallel parking, preserving the car behind her.

Also, I like how Fitzgerald put it in The Great Gatsby:

"You're a rotten driver," I protested. "Either you ought to be more careful, or you oughtn't to drive at all."

"I am careful."

"No, you're not."

"Well, other people are," she said lightly.

"What's that got to do with it?"

"They'll keep out of my way," she insisted. "It takes two to make an accident."

"Suppose you met somebody just as careless as yourself."

"I hope I never will," she answered. "I hate careless people. That's why I like you."


lol I remember that :)

Yeah...I liked that book. I can't say the same for the sophomores, though.

Eh...it was okay. The characters were so...ugh. I didn't like it the same way I liked, say, To Kill a Mockingbird when we read it last year. That book was nice.

The movies are better, in both cases.
As a class, we all hated Daisy. Then a debate broke out about if she's a murderer.

I mean, Daisy isn't really meant to be a character you sympathize with. Really, the only two characters in that book worth a damn are Gatsby and Nick, which is kind of the point.
At 7/22/2013 7:50:22 PM, 000ike wrote:
How does he have the time and energy to write all that? geez. Never get in an argument with YYW, he'll lecture you to death. I think that's quite a talent

I would prefer not to.
PeacefulChaos
Posts: 2,649
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2015 11:26:03 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 6/7/2015 8:37:01 PM, Sapphique wrote:

Eh...it was okay. The characters were so...ugh. I didn't like it the same way I liked, say, To Kill a Mockingbird when we read it last year. That book was nice.

It looks like I'm not the only one who thinks the Great Gatsby was just "meh" and that To Kill a Mockingbird was better.

Good thing, too, or else I would've started raging.
Blade-of-Truth
Posts: 5,632
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2015 3:51:23 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 6/7/2015 3:04:36 PM, YYW wrote:
It is amazing to me how careless some people can be.

A 17 or 18 year old kid almost walked in front of a bus today, and got killed, right in front of me. I had to shout at him to get him back off the road, because he wasn't paying attention. His girlfriend gasped audibly.

Almost? If he *almost* walked in front of a bus then how did he get killed?

As a side note - I've witnessed someone getting killed via car accident right in front of me and it's no joke. My friend driving was in prison for 6 years before getting out on appeal. If you're being serious then I can honestly say that you'll never get that image out of your head. If anything, just take solace in the fact that you had done everything in your power to stop the situation.

A very old Floridian driver almost backed into a car in front of my apartment today. She was centimeters away when I walked past. I helped her finish parallel parking, preserving the car behind her.

Old Floridians suck. Although, to be fair, they probably moved to Florida recently in their twilight years.
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator & Official Voting Group Czar
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
Wylted
Posts: 24,273
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2015 7:00:56 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
I wonder if people think I'm careless because of how absent minded I can be. I've literally done stuff like walk out of the house to grab the morning paper only to realize it was drafty, look down and notice I'm naked while hearing the voice of my Fiance shout "get in the house, you're naked you idiot"!

I honestly don't know how an incredible memory and absent mindedness go together, but they do. Fortunately for me, I'm with a woman who notices every detail of every little thing, so I can hide my absent mindedness better.