Jump to topic:

People

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2015 3:04:36 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
It is amazing to me how careless some people can be.

A 17 or 18 year old kid almost walked in front of a bus today, and got killed, right in front of me. I had to shout at him to get him back off the road, because he wasn't paying attention. His girlfriend gasped audibly.

A very old Floridian driver almost backed into a car in front of my apartment today. She was centimeters away when I walked past. I helped her finish parallel parking, preserving the car behind her.
Tsar of DDO
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2015 3:24:49 PM
At 6/7/2015 3:04:36 PM, YYW wrote:

A 17 or 18 year old kid almost walked in front of a bus today, and got killed, right in front of me. I had to shout at him to get him back off the road, because he wasn't paying attention. His girlfriend gasped audibly.

A very old Floridian driver almost backed into a car in front of my apartment today. She was centimeters away when I walked past. I helped her finish parallel parking, preserving the car behind her.

People are careless, and everyone has lapses, but people are also often generous and helpful. Your actions there demonstrate that. Perhaps many people aren't as caring as they should be, but insofar as people are willing to lend a hand or do good, there is always a ray of hope for humanity, however hapless we may seem.

*hugs*
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2015 3:27:33 PM
At 6/7/2015 3:24:49 PM, bsh1 wrote:

People are careless, and everyone has lapses, but people are also often generous and helpful. Your actions there demonstrate that. Perhaps many people aren't as caring as they should be, but insofar as people are willing to lend a hand or do good, there is always a ray of hope for humanity, however hapless we may seem.

*hugs*

I suppose.

*hugs*
Tsar of DDO
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2015 3:38:24 PM

For a second I thought you meant that he actually did get killed.

Cross both ways before you look the street...or something like that.

Not sure if her lack of driving skills is due to age or the state she's from.
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2015 3:41:02 PM

Also, I like how Fitzgerald put it in The Great Gatsby:

"You're a rotten driver," I protested. "Either you ought to be more careful, or you oughtn't to drive at all."

"I am careful."

"No, you're not."

"Well, other people are," she said lightly.

"What's that got to do with it?"

"They'll keep out of my way," she insisted. "It takes two to make an accident."

"Suppose you met somebody just as careless as yourself."

"I hope I never will," she answered. "I hate careless people. That's why I like you."
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2015 3:51:28 PM
At 6/7/2015 3:41:02 PM, RevNge wrote:

"You're a rotten driver," I protested. "Either you ought to be more careful, or you oughtn't to drive at all."

"I am careful."

"No, you're not."

"I hope I never will," she answered. "I hate careless people. That's why I like you."

lol I remember that :)
Tsar of DDO
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2015 3:57:55 PM
At 6/7/2015 3:51:28 PM, YYW wrote:

"I am careful."

"No, you're not."

Yeah...I liked that book. I can't say the same for the sophomores, though.
Sapphique
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2015 8:37:01 PM
At 6/7/2015 3:57:55 PM, RevNge wrote:

"I am careful."

"No, you're not."

Eh...it was okay. The characters were so...ugh. I didn't like it the same way I liked, say, To Kill a Mockingbird when we read it last year. That book was nice.
DDO Beginners' Mafia Moderator -- PM me if you'd like to learn how to play mafia!

"We wondered what happiness would look like if we could give it a physical form...the shape of happiness might resemble glass...even though you don't usually notice it, it's still definitely there. You merely have to change your point of view slightly, and then that glass will sparkle when it reflects the light. I doubt that anything else could argue its own existence more eloquently." ~Lelouch
YamaVonKarma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2015 8:44:52 PM
At 6/7/2015 8:37:01 PM, Sapphique wrote:

"I am careful."

"No, you're not."

Eh...it was okay. The characters were so...ugh. I didn't like it the same way I liked, say, To Kill a Mockingbird when we read it last year. That book was nice.

The movies are better, in both cases.
As a class, we all hated Daisy. Then a debate broke out about if she's a murderer.
People who I've called as mafia DP1:
TUF, and YYW
Sapphique
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2015 8:54:11 PM
At 6/7/2015 8:44:52 PM, YamaVonKarma wrote:

"I am careful."

"No, you're not."

As a class, we all hated Daisy. Then a debate broke out about if she's a murderer.

Yeah, our class also did not like Daisy at all. The Great Gatsby actually fits in really well with YYW's OP since literally everyone in the book is so careless it's ridiculous.
DDO Beginners' Mafia Moderator -- PM me if you'd like to learn how to play mafia!

"We wondered what happiness would look like if we could give it a physical form...the shape of happiness might resemble glass...even though you don't usually notice it, it's still definitely there. You merely have to change your point of view slightly, and then that glass will sparkle when it reflects the light. I doubt that anything else could argue its own existence more eloquently." ~Lelouch
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2015 10:23:41 PM

"I am careful."

"No, you're not."

Oh, I hate most of the characters. I appreciate the themes and what the characters represented, though--I think it was an accurate depiction of the chaos in the 1920's.

I liked To Kill a Mockingbird as well. I think there was a meme of the court scene called "Justice for Treyvon" or something, actually.
Rubikx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2015 10:56:55 PM

I don't know how many of you would have heard of it. But where I live we have a thing every year called "The Calgary Stampede" and its called "the greatest outdoor show on earth". Because its so huge tons of people come every year. I worked at directing traffic/pedestrians at one of the main entrances and it was ridiculous how clueless people are. I mean a person in a florescent vest yelling at you while signalling you to stop with their hands would be a big enough hint to stop. But I was consistently proved wrong and am honestly surprised nobody was killed by walking through traffic.
ShabShoral
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2015 11:15:18 PM
At 6/7/2015 8:44:52 PM, YamaVonKarma wrote:

"I am careful."

"No, you're not."

I mean, Daisy isn't really meant to be a character you sympathize with. Really, the only two characters in that book worth a damn are Gatsby and Nick, which is kind of the point.
"This site is trash as a debate site. It's club penguin for dysfunctional adults."

~ Skepsikyma <3

"Your idea of good writing is like Spinoza mixed with Heidegger."

~ Dylly Dylly Cat Cat

"You seem to aspire to be a cross between a Jewish hipster, an old school WASP aristocrat, and a political iconoclast"

~ Thett the Mighty

"fvck omg ur face"

~ Liz
PeacefulChaos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2015 11:26:03 PM

It looks like I'm not the only one who thinks the Great Gatsby was just "meh" and that To Kill a Mockingbird was better.

Good thing, too, or else I would've started raging.
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2015 3:51:23 AM

Almost? If he *almost* walked in front of a bus then how did he get killed?

As a side note - I've witnessed someone getting killed via car accident right in front of me and it's no joke. My friend driving was in prison for 6 years before getting out on appeal. If you're being serious then I can honestly say that you'll never get that image out of your head. If anything, just take solace in the fact that you had done everything in your power to stop the situation.

Old Floridians suck. Although, to be fair, they probably moved to Florida recently in their twilight years.
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2015 7:00:56 AM
I wonder if people think I'm careless because of how absent minded I can be. I've literally done stuff like walk out of the house to grab the morning paper only to realize it was drafty, look down and notice I'm naked while hearing the voice of my Fiance shout "get in the house, you're naked you idiot"!

I honestly don't know how an incredible memory and absent mindedness go together, but they do. Fortunately for me, I'm with a woman who notices every detail of every little thing, so I can hide my absent mindedness better.