Jump to topic:

Programming

Rubikx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2015 10:38:23 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
First off, how many people here have any programming experience?

I just thought of a summer programming project that I have no idea how to do and I was wondering how hard it might be.

My idea was to make a program that stores what ingredients you have and suggests recipes from the internet and learns based off of your food habits. Like if you consistently choose italian it will suggest italian recipes more often.

I have some self-taught experience in python, and I took a computer science course in school this year in Java (grade 11).

Would this be an impossible project considering my experience or should I go for it?
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2015 10:47:30 PM
At 6/7/2015 10:38:23 PM, Rubikx wrote:

I just thought of a summer programming project that I have no idea how to do and I was wondering how hard it might be.

My idea was to make a program that stores what ingredients you have and suggests recipes from the internet and learns based off of your food habits. Like if you consistently choose italian it will suggest italian recipes more often.

I have some self-taught experience in python, and I took a computer science course in school this year in Java (grade 11).

Would this be an impossible project considering my experience or should I go for it?

I'm more of an HTML/ja<x>vascript guy, but what you're proposing doesn't sound too far-fetched. Difficult, but not impossible.
Rubikx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2015 10:50:15 PM
At 6/7/2015 10:47:30 PM, RevNge wrote:

I'm more of an HTML/ja<x>vascript guy, but what you're proposing doesn't sound too far-fetched. Difficult, but not impossible.

Ok, thats kinda what I was thinking but I didn't really want to start a project that I knew I couldn't finish. Just out of curiosity, do you program as a job or more of a hobby?
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2015 10:53:43 PM
At 6/7/2015 10:50:15 PM, Rubikx wrote:

Ok, thats kinda what I was thinking but I didn't really want to start a project that I knew I couldn't finish. Just out of curiosity, do you program as a job or more of a hobby?

Oh, I'm 14. I don't have a job. XD

More of a hobby, but I'm still good enough at coding and programming to assess the difficulty of a program. :P
Rubikx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2015 10:59:40 PM
At 6/7/2015 10:53:43 PM, RevNge wrote:
At 6/7/2015 10:50:15 PM, Rubikx wrote:

Oh, I'm 14. I don't have a job. XD

More of a hobby, but I'm still good enough at coding and programming to assess the difficulty of a program. :P

oh haha ya i should've checked to see how old you where lol.
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2015 8:44:03 PM
Hi!

Sounds like a good idea for the culinary types, yes!

I don't think so.

The main stuff you have to do seem to be (correct me if I'm wrong):
-Think of a data structure to store ingredients and recipes (just JSON your way, unless you love the XML DOM too much)
-Think of some way to embed Google search, and an algorithm to construct Google searches from your preferences
The thing is, I hate relativism. I hate relativism more than I hate everything else, excepting, maybe, fibreglass powerboats... What it overlooks, to put it briefly and crudely, is the fixed structure of human nature. - Jerry Fodor

Don't be a stat cynic:
http://www.debate.org...

Response to conservative views on deforestation:
http://www.debate.org...

Topics I'd like to debate (not debating ATM): http://tinyurl.com...
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2015 4:23:39 AM

Not an impossible project but too much work for what you would get out of it. You would need a small database to store the contents of your fridge. Then you would have the hassle of maintaining it on a daily basis. It would be of no value if it wasn't current when you needed to use it. Way too much effort, especially the learning part of it which would require some expertise with AI software.

Wouldn't you be better off just typing in a list of the ingredients you have and doing a Google search for a recipe? There are probably cooking sites on the web which provide this function already. Certainly there are dozens of apps out there for this specific purpose:

http://www.digitaltrends.com...
Rubikx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2015 3:16:56 PM
At 6/10/2015 4:23:39 AM, dee-em wrote:

Not an impossible project but too much work for what you would get out of it. You would need a small database to store the contents of your fridge. Then you would have the hassle of maintaining it on a daily basis. It would be of no value if it wasn't current when you needed to use it. Way too much effort, especially the learning part of it which would require some expertise with AI software.

I've already found, and used, a way to store data permanently that is easy to access through Java.

Wouldn't you be better off just typing in a list of the ingredients you have and doing a Google search for a recipe? There are probably cooking sites on the web which provide this function already. Certainly there are dozens of apps out there for this specific purpose:

Thats not the point though. Of coarse i can just google it or download another app, but i'm learning how to program and this is I project I want to do to challenge myself.

dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2015 10:48:15 PM
At 6/10/2015 3:16:56 PM, Rubikx wrote:
At 6/10/2015 4:23:39 AM, dee-em wrote:

I've already found, and used, a way to store data permanently that is easy to access through Java.

Thats not the point though. Of coarse i can just google it or download another app, but i'm learning how to program and this is I project I want to do to challenge myself.

When I was learning to program, I wrote games in my spare time. Chess, for example, is a good challenge. You learn a lot about iteration and weighting of outcomes. I also wrote a program to record results from basketball games and then analyze them to produce various statistics by player. That wasn't much of a challenge but it was very useful.

Good luck with your recipe project. :-)
UndeniableReality
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2015 10:59:19 PM

The only challenging part would be the automated recommendation system, depending on how strong of a system and how sophisticated of a system you want it to be. The easy approach is to have pre-defined categories and have it generate recommendations based on frequency of selection. But modern recommender systems will use learning algorithms that discover and make use of changing patterns in data and essentially rewrite themselves over time. So a non-trivial recommender system will probably be a challenge to implement if you don't already have a strong background in a related area.