Any veterans in the house?

Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2015 8:44:49 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Hey guys...

My name is Drew and I am a Navy veteran. Nuclear submarines for six years--deployed on both an LA Class Fast Attack sub and on an Ohio Class Boomer. (The USS Dallas and the USS Florida, respectively.)

So I was wondering if there are any other vets on DDO. Please share your branch and enlistment time and MOS or NEC.

And..thanks for your service. I also currently work for the VA.

Too..if anybody has questions about Navy Submarines..or the VA and vet bennies for that matter..please feel free to ask that instead of, or in addition to, sharing your military experience.

Thanks!
Science Flies Us to the Moon. Religion Flies us Into Skyscrapers.
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2015 4:24:39 PM
At 6/14/2015 8:44:49 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
Hey guys...

My name is Drew and I am a Navy veteran. Nuclear submarines for six years--deployed on both an LA Class Fast Attack sub and on an Ohio Class Boomer. (The USS Dallas and the USS Florida, respectively.)

So I was wondering if there are any other vets on DDO. Please share your branch and enlistment time and MOS or NEC.

Too..if anybody has questions about Navy Submarines..or the VA and vet bennies for that matter..please feel free to ask that instead of, or in addition to, sharing your military experience.

Thanks!

I was in the US Army from 1976 until 1989, my MOS was 26Q, Tactical and Satellite Microwave Communications. I did two tours in Germany during which I stood four tours of duty on a tactical nuclear missile site ready to fire on a moment's notice if the balloon went up. Our expected lifespan was about eight minutes.
That was a long time ago when I was much younger and didn't even consider death an option.

Oh, and I know what BOHICA means as well as FUBAR and a lot of other acronyms that we don't use in mixed company.
Kyle_the_Heretic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2015 4:36:53 PM
Air Force '76 to '80: Security and missile convoys.

6 months in Texas. 2 years in Upper Heyford, England. 18 months in Minot, N.D.
Thinking is extremely taxing on the gullible, and it takes hours to clear the smoke.
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2015 4:39:33 PM
At 6/15/2015 4:24:39 PM, dhardage wrote:
Hey guys...

Thanks!

I was in the US Army from 1976 until 1989, my MOS was 26Q, Tactical and Satellite Microwave Communications. I did two tours in Germany during which I stood four tours of duty on a tactical nuclear missile site ready to fire on a moment's notice if the balloon went up. Our expected lifespan was about eight minutes.
That was a long time ago when I was much younger and didn't even consider death an option.

Oh, and I know what BOHICA means as well as FUBAR and a lot of other acronyms that we don't use in mixed company.

Nice!

26Q....um... tactical satellite/microwave systems technician? (Our NEC's were different that yours).

So you jut missed the Vietnam era. This is a good thing.

I sort of miss the Cold War. Ya knew who your enemy was, at least.

So you have a technical background. When you got out of the Army did you use any of that training in a related field? I think those would be good skill sets to have today, what with the leaning more and more towards wireless and satellite stuff and away from landlines and hardwire.

Thank you for your service. I am glad that balloon never went up.
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2015 4:46:14 PM
At 6/15/2015 4:39:33 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
At 6/15/2015 4:24:39 PM, dhardage wrote:
Hey guys...

Thanks!

Nice!

26Q....um... tactical satellite/microwave systems technician? (Our NEC's were different that yours).

So you jut missed the Vietnam era. This is a good thing.

Yeah, I missed all the fighting and left before the Middle East really blew up.

I sort of miss the Cold War. Ya knew who your enemy was, at least.

So you have a technical background. When you got out of the Army did you use any of that training in a related field? I think those would be good skill sets to have today, what with the leaning more and more towards wireless and satellite stuff and away from landlines and hardwire.

I went back to college and got my Electronics degree and now I'm an Instrumentation and Controls Technician in the 2nd largest cheese plant in North America.

Thank you for your service. I am glad that balloon never went up.

That makes two of us. That conflict would have had no real winners.
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2015 12:21:32 PM
Hey guys...

Thanks!

I almost was, but I got discharged before I shipped.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2015 9:38:36 PM
At 6/16/2015 12:21:32 PM, lannan13 wrote:
Hey guys...

Thanks!

I almost was, but I got discharged before I shipped.

Do you mind telling us why? Just curious. No biggie is you would rather not say.

Thanks.
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2015 9:39:39 PM
At 6/15/2015 4:36:53 PM, Kyle_the_Heretic wrote:

How did ya like those winters in Minot? LOL.

In Texas...I am guessing you were in San Antonio?
Kyle_the_Heretic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2015 9:45:10 PM
At 6/16/2015 9:39:39 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:

Because I was a low life enlisted cop, I did a lot of snow shoveling at missile sites, so I wasn't too fond of the winters.

Next to San Antonio. Lackland and Camp Medina. That's where they trained security.
Thinking is extremely taxing on the gullible, and it takes hours to clear the smoke.
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2015 9:47:23 PM
At 6/16/2015 9:45:10 PM, Kyle_the_Heretic wrote:
At 6/16/2015 9:39:39 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:

Because I was a low life enlisted cop, I did a lot of snow shoveling at missile sites, so I wasn't too fond of the winters.

Next to San Antonio. Lackland and Camp Medina. That's where they trained security.

Ahh. Thanks for your post.

And your service.

Drew.