Jump to topic:

Songs you like in genres you don't

thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2015 12:40:55 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
What are some songs you really like in genres you typically dislike, and why?

I'll start. I generally dislike Christian music except for old timey Christmas and Gospel music. We live in a spiritual wasteland, and almost all of our Christian music reflects that with it's non<x>stop emphasis on feelings and the relief God brings are important yet, but not typically the kind of thing that lends itself to compelling song.

However this song is an exception. The spiritual element that gives modern Christian music it's appeal is certainly there as the miracle witnessed by the outlaw changes his heart, but it's not the entirety of the song. The miracle witnessed is not some wishy washy, debatable spiritual experience like the Pulp Fiction shooting scene, it's a bona fide miracle. Moreover while the outlaw is certainly the subject of the song, he also is secondary to God Himself and he realizes this--he was not saved by any merit of his own, but rather because "The Master had a reason, life is His to take or give". There's an element of humility there.

This song is a model for all religious songs to follow. What are some unlikely favorites of yours?
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2015 12:41:26 AM
stupid DDO didn't let me post the link
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
daytonanerd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2015 12:53:13 AM
I don't like new wave. However...

"We can dance if we want to
We can leave your friends behind
'Cause your friends don't dance and if they don't dance
Well they're
No friends of mine"
#FeeltheFreezerBern
ShabShoral
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2015 3:04:00 AM
At 6/15/2015 12:41:26 AM, thett3 wrote:

stupid DDO didn't let me post the link

That perfectly mirrors your experience with drugs.
"This site is trash as a debate site. It's club penguin for dysfunctional adults."

~ Skepsikyma <3

"Your idea of good writing is like Spinoza mixed with Heidegger."

~ Dylly Dylly Cat Cat

"You seem to aspire to be a cross between a Jewish hipster, an old school WASP aristocrat, and a political iconoclast"

~ Thett the Mighty

"fvck omg ur face"

~ Liz
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2015 6:03:39 PM
At 6/15/2015 12:40:55 AM, thett3 wrote:

I usually don't like pop, but I love this song.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2015 8:34:00 AM
I like "Someone Like You" by Adele, but I don't generally like the kind of music Adele does. I'm not sure what you call it. Maybe "pop."
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2015 8:53:10 AM
At 6/15/2015 12:40:55 AM, thett3 wrote:

I'll start. I generally dislike Christian music except for old timey Christmas and Gospel music. We live in a spiritual wasteland, and almost all of our Christian music reflects that with it's non<x>stop emphasis on feelings and the relief God brings are important yet, but not typically the kind of thing that lends itself to compelling song.

However this song is an exception. The spiritual element that gives modern Christian music it's appeal is certainly there as the miracle witnessed by the outlaw changes his heart, but it's not the entirety of the song. The miracle witnessed is not some wishy washy, debatable spiritual experience like the Pulp Fiction shooting scene, it's a bona fide miracle. Moreover while the outlaw is certainly the subject of the song, he also is secondary to God Himself and he realizes this--he was not saved by any merit of his own, but rather because "The Master had a reason, life is His to take or give". There's an element of humility there.

This song is a model for all religious songs to follow. What are some unlikely favorites of yours?

I don't usually like Tchaikovsky, but I love the violin concerto. That's the only one I can think of at the moment.
The thing is, I hate relativism. I hate relativism more than I hate everything else, excepting, maybe, fibreglass powerboats... What it overlooks, to put it briefly and crudely, is the fixed structure of human nature. - Jerry Fodor

Don't be a stat cynic:
http://www.debate.org...

Response to conservative views on deforestation:
http://www.debate.org...

Topics I'd like to debate (not debating ATM): http://tinyurl.com...
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2015 12:23:25 PM
Here are two songs from genera's I generally don't care for. But they are old songs. There are no new songs from these genera's that I like.

https://www.youtube.com...

https://www.youtube.com...
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2015 1:00:00 PM
I hate Country, but here's some good country songs I like.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2015 1:01:03 PM
At 6/17/2015 8:34:00 AM, philochristos wrote:
I like "Someone Like You" by Adele, but I don't generally like the kind of music Adele does. I'm not sure what you call it. Maybe "pop."

That reminded me of "No one like you" by Scorpions. Good song and band.

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

Subutai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2015 3:59:36 PM
At 6/17/2015 3:34:47 PM, slo1 wrote:

I'm curious what genre you think that song belongs in. It's a cover of an industrial rock song played by a country rock artist.
I'm becoming less defined as days go by, fading away, and well you might say, I'm losing focus, kinda drifting into the abstract in terms of how I see myself.
Subutai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2015 4:02:50 PM
I don't generally like country, much less country with a love theme. Although it's hard to classify Johnny Cash as country, considering he was also strongly influenced by folk, rock and roll, gospel, and blues, among others, I include this because it sounds rather country to me.
I'm becoming less defined as days go by, fading away, and well you might say, I'm losing focus, kinda drifting into the abstract in terms of how I see myself.
Kyle_the_Heretic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2015 4:24:07 PM
Being pretty old, I generally dislike everything that came out after the 70s. High on my list of dislikes is Ska Punk, but I enjoy listening to No Doubt's song, Don't Speak.
Thinking is extremely taxing on the gullible, and it takes hours to clear the smoke.
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2015 5:00:33 PM
At 6/17/2015 3:59:36 PM, Subutai wrote:

I'm curious what genre you think that song belongs in. It's a cover of an industrial rock song played by a country rock artist.

I'm not certain how I would classify that, angst-y rock. What I can say that Johnny's cover of Hurt and I hung my head is much much better than the originals.

Johnny's country stuff like Walk the Line you posed makes me want to literally puke. It is not so much his voice as the sophomoric music.
Subutai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2015 6:49:33 PM
At 6/17/2015 5:00:33 PM, slo1 wrote:
At 6/17/2015 3:59:36 PM, Subutai wrote:

I'm not certain how I would classify that, angst-y rock. What I can say that Johnny's cover of Hurt and I hung my head is much much better than the originals.

Johnny's country stuff like Walk the Line you posed makes me want to literally puke. It is not so much his voice as the sophomoric music.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "sophomoric music". How is it so?
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2015 4:14:25 PM
Well....I cut my teeth and rock and roll. Grew up with it. It has always been my life's blood!

I have been a drummer for almost 20 years now. Been in several bands, mostly rock, but a couple country when I lived in Austin. I am currently in a metal band called Vehemence. (Like is on Facebook! LOL)

But over the years I have broadened my spectrum. I now dig, and listen to: Blues, Jazz, and Classical. My 1st wife was an MFA major and played classical violin, so she exposed me to a lot of it.)

I even like Celtic stuff. My friend plays bagpipes and I love to listen to his stuff.

About the only music genre I never liked is Rap. In fact, I am not sure it can even be called music. But as a white guy in his late 30s maybe Rap wasn't meant for me anyway. LOL.
Science Flies Us to the Moon. Religion Flies us Into Skyscrapers.
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/3/2015 8:18:58 PM
At 6/17/2015 1:01:03 PM, lannan13 wrote:

Aw man...I freakin' LOVE Das Scorps! One of my all-time favorite hard rock bands.
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2015 7:18:43 AM
At 7/3/2015 8:18:58 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:

Aw man...I freakin' LOVE Das Scorps! One of my all-time favorite hard rock bands.

Pretty good band, I agree.

Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2015 12:32:40 PM
At 7/6/2015 7:18:43 AM, lannan13 wrote:
At 7/3/2015 8:18:58 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:

Pretty good band, I agree.

Yeah...they were a big influence on my band. Back in Austin, TX about 10 years ago the first "real" gigging, working band I was in was a tribute band to the Scorpions. We called ourselves "Stinger." Man. those UT frats loved us for their parties. LOL