Jump to topic:

I've decided to learn Japanese

daytonanerd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2015 9:54:04 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
I've been interested with Japanese culture for a while now, and would like to take a trip there for my graduation gift in about 2 years. So I've decided to learn Japanese on my own, and I've started work through the textbooks.

Has anyone else self studied a language on here? How did you enjoy it?
#FeeltheFreezerBern
daytonanerd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2015 4:56:48 PM
At 6/15/2015 4:52:47 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
Well, in transliteration, anyway.

In romanization of its kana form, it does come to have two o's. It means that the o sound has double the length.
#FeeltheFreezerBern
daytonanerd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2015 4:57:57 PM
At 6/15/2015 4:52:29 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
Self-studying is far more difficult than actually having a teacher.

Don't have much of a choice. Luckily, I got the Genki books, which apparently are really good for self study. And they seem to be good, from what I've done.

And I always thought sayonara had one o.
#FeeltheFreezerBern
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2015 5:00:13 PM
At 6/15/2015 4:57:57 PM, daytonanerd wrote:

Don't have much of a choice. Luckily, I got the Genki books, which apparently are really good for self study. And they seem to be good, from what I've done.

Well, I wish you the best of luck!

daytonanerd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2015 5:02:34 PM
At 6/15/2015 5:00:13 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 6/15/2015 4:57:57 PM, daytonanerd wrote:

Well, I wish you the best of luck!

Thanks Endark. If you'd like to make my OuADDO character some unlikable Otaku, I'll allow you. That'd be a good bit of legacy to leave behind.

#FeeltheFreezerBern
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2015 5:07:37 PM
At 6/15/2015 9:54:04 AM, daytonanerd wrote:
I've been interested with Japanese culture for a while now, and would like to take a trip there for my graduation gift in about 2 years. So I've decided to learn Japanese on my own, and I've started work through the textbooks.

Thoughtsandthoughts either is learning or has learned Japanese.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2015 5:15:27 PM
At 6/15/2015 5:07:37 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

Then again, he/she hasn't been on DDO for several months.

The DDO Blog:

UtherPenguin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2015 5:35:27 PM

I've been learning the Japanese for about a year and a half now. My tip: Learn Hiragana/Katakana in two weeks, then dive straight into Kanji.
"Praise Allah."
~YYW
daytonanerd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2015 5:36:27 PM
At 6/15/2015 5:15:27 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
At 6/15/2015 5:07:37 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

Then again, he/she hasn't been on DDO for several months.

Yeah, I wasn't familiar with that user when you mentioned them.
#FeeltheFreezerBern
daytonanerd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2015 5:37:03 PM
At 6/15/2015 5:35:27 PM, UtherPenguin wrote:

I've been learning the Japanese for about a year and a half now. My tip: Learn Hiragana/Katakana in two weeks, then dive straight into Kanji.

I'd say I'm pretty good with the kana now. I'll be diving into some kanji pretty soon.
#FeeltheFreezerBern
UtherPenguin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2015 5:39:17 PM
At 6/15/2015 5:37:03 PM, daytonanerd wrote:

I'd say I'm pretty good with the kana now. I'll be diving into some kanji pretty soon.

Start by learning basic radicals, then work your way up. Once you have a good grasp on radicals then stroke order becomes overrated :P. Also, you can't learn Kanji without first learning to write the word "hentai" http://www5.big.or.jp...
"Praise Allah."
~YYW
daytonanerd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2015 5:41:58 PM
At 6/15/2015 5:39:17 PM, UtherPenguin wrote:

Start by learning basic radicals, then work your way up. Once you have a good grasp on radicals then stroke order becomes overrated :P. Also, you can't learn Kanji without first learning to write the word "hentai" http://www5.big.or.jp...

Why do I feel like that's the only reason you started to learn Japanese?
#FeeltheFreezerBern
UtherPenguin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2015 5:46:37 PM
At 6/15/2015 5:41:58 PM, daytonanerd wrote:
At 6/15/2015 5:39:17 PM, UtherPenguin wrote:

Why do I feel like that's the only reason you started to learn Japanese?

So that I have an excuse to go their without being accused of weeaboism. I'll just say I went their for "economic opportunity" ( cough cough: http://images2.fanpop.com... ) and for "their culture" (cough cough: http://images2.fanpop.com...) and "their rich and vibrant history (cough cough: http://images2.fanpop.com... )
"Praise Allah."
~YYW
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2015 5:49:56 PM

By the way, whenever you find some good resources for learning the language, could you please tell me where you found it?

The DDO Blog:

daytonanerd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2015 5:57:11 PM
At 6/15/2015 5:49:56 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

By the way, whenever you find some good resources for learning the language, could you please tell me where you found it?

Well, I'm using the Genki textbooks and workbooks. They're pretty expensive, but I'd say they are worth it. They are pretty comprehensive for the beginning level, and they have a VERY good reputation in the community. Currently, my plan for books(along with their respective textbooks) are, in order:

Genki I+II
An Integrated Approach to Intermediate Japanese
Tobira
Authentic Japanese: Progressing from Intermediate to Advanced
I presume native materials after that, as you'd probably be on a good enough level.

Also, around the same time as 'Integrated Approach', I'll probably get 'Kanji in Context' and its workbooks, and work through that as I go through the three remaining textbooks.
#FeeltheFreezerBern
UtherPenguin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2015 5:59:45 PM

Self-studying isn't that difficult. (Except for Kanji, Kanji is evil.)
"Praise Allah."
~YYW
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2015 7:11:30 PM
At 6/15/2015 5:57:11 PM, daytonanerd wrote:

Well, I'm using the Genki textbooks and workbooks. They're pretty expensive, but I'd say they are worth it. They are pretty comprehensive for the beginning level, and they have a VERY good reputation in the community. Currently, my plan for books(along with their respective textbooks) are, in order:

Genki I+II
Tobira
I presume native materials after that, as you'd probably be on a good enough level.

Also, around the same time as 'Integrated Approach', I'll probably get 'Kanji in Context' and its workbooks, and work through that as I go through the three remaining textbooks.

How expensive are we talking about?

The DDO Blog:

daytonanerd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2015 7:16:54 PM
At 6/15/2015 7:11:30 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
At 6/15/2015 5:57:11 PM, daytonanerd wrote:

Genki I+II
Tobira

How expensive are we talking about?

About $75 for both the textbook and the workbook for each half, so $150 total for both half of the Genki series. But this covers essentially the entire beginning level of Japanese.
#FeeltheFreezerBern
ronaldgary
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2015 6:55:44 AM
Do you believe that blogs will become a common way of educating people in the future? No, http://www.pureassignments.com...
I think that we will use other platforms to do more "real time" sharing. I do think that there will still be a place for asynchronous learning though.