Total Posts:11|Showing Posts:1-11
Jump to topic:

Hi, DDO

debatability
Posts: 1,160
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2015 1:03:36 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
I'm going to keep this post brief.

A lot of you seem to be curious about my inactivity. My inactivity came from me trying to juggle my job and my college classes. Prior to the election, I never expected to be working 30 hours a week, but I was offered more hours at work and I took the offer. My future in much more important to me than being president of this site, and I need to save up money for college. I would have resigned if I actually thought I had a chance at winning.

Anyone who thinks I became inactive because of BSH is wrong; I believe BSH ran a very clean campaign, and I think he will make a great president.

I do have a few thoughts pertaining to the election. To be honest, I think that a limit should be put on how many campaign posts candidates can make during election times because it felt like BSH was posting ten threads a day, lol. Once I realized my situation, I lost all motivation to try campaign to the extent that he was. Next election I hope that the DDO forum will be much less cluttered with stuff no one cares about. One platform thread, one AMA thread, and an interview or so should be enough to run a campaign. Anything beyond that is overboard.

Also, it's kind of sh1tty to passive aggressively attack other candidates in hopes of getting a rise out of them in order to try help their opponents. I wish that didn't happen on this website, but it is quite a problem. There's nothing wrong with supporting a candidate, and vocalizing one's support. There is something wrong with attacking candidates, and claiming that they are unfit for presidency. It's always better to explain rationally why one candidates platform is better than another's as opposed to simply saying that a candidate is incapable of making a good president.

Both BSH and I are capable of being good presidents. Even if I did have a job and college classes, if I won, I would stay highly active even though I wouldn't be very happy with having to make such a commitment.

However, because I knew I would lose, I wasn't too worried about having to make an unwanted commitment and the past week I was quite literally too busy to actually get on DDO and resign.

I'm going to be much less active. If you've messaged me in the past week, message me again because chances are I have had to ignore you due to how busy I am. Working 30 hours a week, going to college, and maintaining a social life doesn't leave much time for an online debate community.

I still want to do some high quality debates and play some mafia, but I can't handle any commitment beyond that.
bsh1
Posts: 27,504
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2015 2:17:20 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/16/2015 1:03:36 AM, debatability wrote:
Anyone who thinks I became inactive because of BSH is wrong; I believe BSH ran a very clean campaign, and I think he will make a great president.

Thank you. I appreciate that.

I do have a few thoughts pertaining to the election. To be honest, I think that a limit should be put on how many campaign posts candidates can make during election times because it felt like BSH was posting ten threads a day, lol.

Actually, between my announcing my candidacy and the election, I made exactly 10 campaign related threads if you include the 2 polling topics I made (which weren't promoting my platform) and the AMAs (which weren't in the main thread). Excluding those, then, I made 8 threads over 29 days, which is not excessive at all, and it's certainly not 10 threads a day. The ratio is more like 4 threads every 15 days. While I understand what you were saying was hyperbolic, it is also still disingenuous. I also don't think the main forum was ever really "cluttered."

Also, it's kind of sh1tty to passive aggressively attack other candidates in hopes of getting a rise out of them in order to try help their opponents. I wish that didn't happen on this website, but it is quite a problem.

I don't think I or my campaign team engaged in those kind of tactics. I hope you're not implying that we did; we tried to run a very clean campaign with a positive message.

I still want to do some high quality debates and play some mafia, but I can't handle any commitment beyond that.

Good luck with your job! Making time for yourself is important--don't get overloaded :)
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
debatability
Posts: 1,160
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2015 3:31:20 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/16/2015 2:17:20 AM, bsh1 wrote:
At 6/16/2015 1:03:36 AM, debatability wrote:
Anyone who thinks I became inactive because of BSH is wrong; I believe BSH ran a very clean campaign, and I think he will make a great president.

Thank you. I appreciate that.

I do have a few thoughts pertaining to the election. To be honest, I think that a limit should be put on how many campaign posts candidates can make during election times because it felt like BSH was posting ten threads a day, lol.

Actually, between my announcing my candidacy and the election, I made exactly 10 campaign related threads if you include the 2 polling topics I made (which weren't promoting my platform) and the AMAs (which weren't in the main thread). Excluding those, then, I made 8 threads over 29 days, which is not excessive at all, and it's certainly not 10 threads a day. The ratio is more like 4 threads every 15 days. While I understand what you were saying was hyperbolic, it is also still disingenuous. I also don't think the main forum was ever really "cluttered."

That's why I used the term "what felt like." There were at least three threads circulating at almost any point in time pertaining to your campaign, which I felt was excessive. My statement was certainly an exaggeration; I apologize for not being so precise. It's not a problem now. I just feel that a successful campaign can and should be run with much fewer posts.


Also, it's kind of sh1tty to passive aggressively attack other candidates in hopes of getting a rise out of them in order to try help their opponents. I wish that didn't happen on this website, but it is quite a problem.

I don't think I or my campaign team engaged in those kind of tactics. I hope you're not implying that we did; we tried to run a very clean campaign with a positive message.


You, Zaradi, and BlackVoid had excellent conduct all throughout the election. I have no doubt that you three are capable of conducting a clean campaign and I'm thrilled that this election was absent of conflict directly among candidates.

I still want to do some high quality debates and play some mafia, but I can't handle any commitment beyond that.

Good luck with your job! Making time for yourself is important--don't get overloaded :)

I will! Thanks for the well wishes :)
Nac
Posts: 326
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2015 9:54:58 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/16/2015 1:03:36 AM, debatability wrote:
I'm going to keep this post brief.

A lot of you seem to be curious about my inactivity. My inactivity came from me trying to juggle my job and my college classes. Prior to the election, I never expected to be working 30 hours a week, but I was offered more hours at work and I took the offer. My future in much more important to me than being president of this site, and I need to save up money for college. I would have resigned if I actually thought I had a chance at winning.

Anyone who thinks I became inactive because of BSH is wrong; I believe BSH ran a very clean campaign, and I think he will make a great president.

I do have a few thoughts pertaining to the election. To be honest, I think that a limit should be put on how many campaign posts candidates can make during election times because it felt like BSH was posting ten threads a day, lol. Once I realized my situation, I lost all motivation to try campaign to the extent that he was. Next election I hope that the DDO forum will be much less cluttered with stuff no one cares about. One platform thread, one AMA thread, and an interview or so should be enough to run a campaign. Anything beyond that is overboard.

Also, it's kind of sh1tty to passive aggressively attack other candidates in hopes of getting a rise out of them in order to try help their opponents. I wish that didn't happen on this website, but it is quite a problem. There's nothing wrong with supporting a candidate, and vocalizing one's support. There is something wrong with attacking candidates, and claiming that they are unfit for presidency. It's always better to explain rationally why one candidates platform is better than another's as opposed to simply saying that a candidate is incapable of making a good president.

Both BSH and I are capable of being good presidents. Even if I did have a job and college classes, if I won, I would stay highly active even though I wouldn't be very happy with having to make such a commitment.

However, because I knew I would lose, I wasn't too worried about having to make an unwanted commitment and the past week I was quite literally too busy to actually get on DDO and resign.

I'm going to be much less active. If you've messaged me in the past week, message me again because chances are I have had to ignore you due to how busy I am. Working 30 hours a week, going to college, and maintaining a social life doesn't leave much time for an online debate community.

I still want to do some high quality debates and play some mafia, but I can't handle any commitment beyond that.

I can completely understand your decision. Maintaining a focus on your future should be a top priority, and your actions are wholly rational in this context.

However, for the sake of myself and my fellow competitors, I have to ask, what does this mean for the Beginner's tournament? I feel this must be addressed, as you made no mention of it, save for an inference from your concluding paragraph.
Saint_of_Me
Posts: 2,402
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2015 6:57:57 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Um...yeah.

OK.

You've been gone?

Hadn't noticed.

LOL.

What do you call 1000 dead politicians at the bottom of the sea?

A good start.
Science Flies Us to the Moon. Religion Flies us Into Skyscrapers.
Lee001
Posts: 3,168
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2015 1:43:43 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/17/2015 6:57:57 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
Um...yeah.

OK.

You've been gone?

Hadn't noticed.

LOL.


What do you call 1000 dead politicians at the bottom of the sea?

A good start.

Wtf...lol
"Condoms are societal constructs created by the government to restrain 'Murican freedom!"-SolonKR

"But I jest and digress (sick rhymes, yo); every boob is equal in the eyes of the Lord."- SolonKR

"Oh Hey, Seeing Artichokes Makes Me Want to Have Sex."- SolonKR

"Yep, but anyone who touches my hair immediately ascends to the heavens..You're already an angel, so touching my hair can do nothing <3" -SolonKR

My hubby Hayd <3 <3
Saint_of_Me
Posts: 2,402
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2015 2:23:47 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/18/2015 1:43:43 PM, Lee001 wrote:
At 6/17/2015 6:57:57 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
Um...yeah.

OK.

You've been gone?

Hadn't noticed.

LOL.


What do you call 1000 dead politicians at the bottom of the sea?

A good start.

Wtf...lol

lawyer joke!

I love 'em.

Most of the good ones I get from my brother, an attorney. LOL
Science Flies Us to the Moon. Religion Flies us Into Skyscrapers.
bsh1
Posts: 27,504
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2015 1:06:10 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/16/2015 3:31:20 AM, debatability wrote:
At 6/16/2015 2:17:20 AM, bsh1 wrote:
At 6/16/2015 1:03:36 AM, debatability wrote:
I do have a few thoughts pertaining to the election. To be honest, I think that a limit should be put on how many campaign posts candidates can make during election times because it felt like BSH was posting ten threads a day, lol.

Actually, between my announcing my candidacy and the election, I made exactly 10 campaign related threads if you include the 2 polling topics I made (which weren't promoting my platform) and the AMAs (which weren't in the main thread). Excluding those, then, I made 8 threads over 29 days, which is not excessive at all, and it's certainly not 10 threads a day. The ratio is more like 4 threads every 15 days. While I understand what you were saying was hyperbolic, it is also still disingenuous. I also don't think the main forum was ever really "cluttered."

That's why I used the term "what felt like." There were at least three threads circulating at almost any point in time pertaining to your campaign, which I felt was excessive. My statement was certainly an exaggeration; I apologize for not being so precise. It's not a problem now. I just feel that a successful campaign can and should be run with much fewer posts.

Right, I understand that you qualified what you said with "what felt like." But, it was still disingenuous. And, there were not 3 threads posted our campaign circulating at once. And perhaps a successful campaign can be run with less, but it should be the duty of a Presidential candidate to give DDO the maximum amount of information possible, so that voters can make the most informed decision.

You, Zaradi, and BlackVoid had excellent conduct all throughout the election. I have no doubt that you three are capable of conducting a clean campaign and I'm thrilled that this election was absent of conflict directly among candidates.

Thank you :) I think you ran a great, clean campaign as well.

I still want to do some high quality debates and play some mafia, but I can't handle any commitment beyond that.

Good luck with your job! Making time for yourself is important--don't get overloaded :)

I will! Thanks for the well wishes :)

Sure thing :)
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
Paradox_7
Posts: 1,870
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2015 3:00:32 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Oh ok... uh, who are you again? lol

Was there an election I missed recently? hahah
: At 10/23/2012 8:06:03 PM, tvellalott wrote:
: Don't be. The Catholic Church is ran by Darth Sidius for fvck sake. As far as I'm concerned, you're a bona fide member of the Sith.
YYW
Posts: 36,289
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2015 8:34:40 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/16/2015 1:03:36 AM, debatability wrote:
I'm going to keep this post brief.

I'm going to be real with you, which is something that everyone who told you to run, or supported your candidacy should have done but failed to do.

A lot of you seem to be curious about my inactivity. My inactivity came from me trying to juggle my job and my college classes. Prior to the election, I never expected to be working 30 hours a week, but I was offered more hours at work and I took the offer. My future in much more important to me than being president of this site, and I need to save up money for college. I would have resigned if I actually thought I had a chance at winning.

Good luck on your future undertakings. I think that's a responsible decision.

Anyone who thinks I became inactive because of BSH is wrong; I believe BSH ran a very clean campaign, and I think he will make a great president.

Well, even if you did become inactive because of the election's outcome, people should understand that and cut you some slack.

I do have a few thoughts pertaining to the election. To be honest, I think that a limit should be put on how many campaign posts candidates can make during election times because it felt like BSH was posting ten threads a day, lol. Once I realized my situation, I lost all motivation to try campaign to the extent that he was. Next election I hope that the DDO forum will be much less cluttered with stuff no one cares about. One platform thread, one AMA thread, and an interview or so should be enough to run a campaign. Anything beyond that is overboard.

I will never support this, and I can basically promise you that as long as I am on this site, I will do what I can to prevent any policy that limits content from being implemented. While I think your ideas are good there, you are literally championing limiting free speech in a way that in no way advances any meaningful end. Moreover, it's not any candidate's place to ascertain what content should/should not be allowed. It's also not any other members.

Moreover, if it is your contention that bsh1 was "too active," then you're wrong. This campaign was very clean, and it was kept positive on balance. The only actively negative direct personal attack came from Bluesteel against bsh1 (and me) which ended after he -I think- realized the gravity of how screwed up what he did was.

Also, it's kind of sh1tty to passive aggressively attack other candidates in hopes of getting a rise out of them in order to try help their opponents.

I'm not sure who/what you're referring to, but to the extent that you're referring to Bluesteel's "snake oil" comment with regard to bsh1's campaign platform, then I agree. Except, that wasn't really "passive" aggressive. It was obnoxious and absurd; highly reminiscent of the garbage that Bluesteel had with Mirza in the previous election.

The problem, though, is that I'm reasonably confident that you're not referring to Bluesteel's moment of petulance. In the alternative, I think you're probably referring to me, and my expressing doubts about both your viability as a candidate and my lack of faith in your ability to be president.

Liz, it's not personal. It's that I (perhaps better than anyone on this site other than Max) know what is required of a good president, and I know -more or less- who fits that criteria because I've been a part of a successful presidential administration. I also have interacted with Juggle in the past (although I think the representatives of Juggle I've corresponded with no longer work there), and I've been here for considerably longer than you have. Maybe in a few years you'll be presidential material, but now is not the time.

That said, if you want to know why, I'm happy to talk about that. In two years, I might be willing to vote for you depending on where you are at that time. But not now. Putting you in the position of president now would have been irresponsible.

There are many on DDO who think they know things that they don't. Ore-Ele's and Bluesteel's absurd plan to blackmail juggle into updating the site by way of reporting them to Google is the most recent screw-up that comes to mind. If you like, we can talk about that at length via PM. I see no reason to elaborate further here.

I wish that didn't happen on this website, but it is quite a problem. There's nothing wrong with supporting a candidate, and vocalizing one's support. There is something wrong with attacking candidates, and claiming that they are unfit for presidency.

This is false. The reason it's false is because your qualifications matter. There is an issue as to what "counts" with regard to presidential qualifications. And I can tell you that there were multiple problems that came up with you. It's not that you're dumb or a bad person. It's that you would be in over your head, and I know that having been involved in multiple presidential administrations and having dealt with Juggle myself in the past, as well as having been privy to all the multifaceted issues that have come up between DDO-Juggle interrelations over the course of my more than 4 years on this site.

And, while I'm sure it's hard not to take that personally, there were multiple areas of legitimate concern that surrounded your candidacy -and the standard that you're advocating would limit all candidates to only saying nice things about the other, which is not how elections should be decided. The issue in all elections is this: who is the best fit for the job.

I asked you in the beginning of this election why you were a better candidate than bsh1. He had announced, and you never answered my question. You didn't even articulate what you thought a candidate should do other than indirectly mirror Bluesteel's cynical and inaccurate vision of what the presidency is based on an equally cynical and inaccurate misunderstanding of Juggle's intent regarding the site based on their ignoring him. You couldn't say why you were a better option than the other guy, and that's a problem.

But, the bigger problem is that you didn't really get what the president had to do here, or really demonstrate a coherent understanding of how to basically work with other people who have interests that are different than yours. I've seen bsh1 do that in numerous settings, but I have't seen that on your end. Instead, what I saw were threads that basically said "the presidency is useless" and then later "Hey! I want to run for president!" and "Juggle is useless" while at the same time running for a position whose primary position is to work with Juggle. Those were legitimate concerns, and to the extent that you don't see it, you're not being honest with yourself.

All of that said, I don't think you're a bad person. What I think is that you got a big idea in response to a really unfortunate situation that came about as a result of Ore-Ele's monumental failure as a president, that you might like to take up where he left off -but you didn't think it through. I knew in the moment that you announced your candidacy that this was going to hurt your feelings, and you should have expected that. There is no world in which a person's history in the site isn't going to be considered when they're running for president. But, you ran as if you thought that all the things you said about Juggle and the presidency in the past should just be disregarded. (And then, Bluesteel wrote an absurd pledge that might very well have limited any and all discussion to only positive things, despite the fact that there were legitimate concerns regarding the facts and circumstances surrounding your presidency.)

All in all, you're a good member, and I think you'll learn from this. You're likely to be mad about what I'm saying now, but eventually I think it will sink in and we'll be able to move past it. I think that you deserve to know all of this, because I don't think anyone has said it yet. [continued in next
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Posts: 36,289
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2015 8:36:50 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
@Liz

One way or another, I hope in the coming months you'll be able to move past this, and that if you decide to run again in two years or so, the facts and circumstances surrounding your candidacy are different than they were here. No one, I think, will reasonably consider what happened with Ore'e presidency (or anything else that went on) then.
Tsar of DDO