Jump to topic:

"Niggard niggard niggardly niggard"

Ajabi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2015 6:19:18 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
If this offended you, you need to take and English class on Chauncer. Or buy a dictionary.

In all honesty people need a dictionary. The word niggardly is not a racial slur, it is the adjective to the noun "niggard". It has no etymological relevance to the racial slur "nig*er".

The word niggardly means cheap or mean. It has been used since the 16th century. For God's sake people stop acting niggardly about the word "niggard".

I had an incident where someone read my writing and went utterly insane. The Oxford Dictionary or The Canterbury Tales doing little.to clamp them down.

/end rant
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2015 6:26:52 PM
At 6/19/2015 6:19:18 PM, Ajabi wrote:
If this offended you, you need to take and English class on Chauncer. Or buy a dictionary.

In all honesty people need a dictionary. The word niggardly is not a racial slur, it is the adjective to the noun "niggard". It has no etymological relevance to the racial slur "nig*er".

The word niggardly means cheap or mean. It has been used since the 16th century. For God's sake people stop acting niggardly about the word "niggard".

I had an incident where someone read my writing and went utterly insane. The Oxford Dictionary or The Canterbury Tales doing little.to clamp them down.

/end rant

They also have completely different etymologies.
Ajabi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2015 6:35:31 PM
At 6/19/2015 6:26:52 PM, RevNge wrote:
It has no etymological relevance to the racial slur "nig*er".

You don't say...
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2015 6:37:02 PM
At 6/19/2015 6:35:31 PM, Ajabi wrote:
At 6/19/2015 6:26:52 PM, RevNge wrote:
It has no etymological relevance to the racial slur "nig*er".

You don't say...

Sarcasm much?
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2015 3:50:56 PM

/end rant

Yeah...so what.

Anyone even moderately educated in the English language and its nuances and attendant vernaculars is already aware of the difference in those two words.

I am guessing you just learned it yourself, however; and wanted to show us all?

LOL.

Good job.

BTW: I love Geoffrey Chaucer. Although I have been trying to complete The Canterbury Tales for a couple years now. I think I might just read "A Knight's Tale" and be done with it.

He is a gifted author, no doubt, but deciphering the Middle English can be a chore.
Science Flies Us to the Moon. Religion Flies us Into Skyscrapers.
Ajabi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2015 1:19:20 AM
At 6/20/2015 3:50:56 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:

/end rant

Yeah...so what.

Anyone even moderately educated in the English language and its nuances and attendant vernaculars is already aware of the difference in those two words.

I am guessing you just learned it yourself, however; and wanted to show us all?

LOL.

Good job.

BTW: I love Geoffrey Chaucer. Although I have been trying to complete The Canterbury Tales for a couple years now. I think I might just read "A Knight's Tale" and be done with it.

He is a gifted author, no doubt, but deciphering the Middle English can be a chore.

I got in a terrible fight with someone who insisted that I was being racist. That angered me quite a bit. Chaucer is part of my English course.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2015 12:08:21 PM

/end rant

You have given the facts and now they don't matter. People will believe what they want to believe. Most will say it is a racial slur because they have been indoctrinated since birth to believe that. End of story. Gay means Happy and joyful. It has nothing what so ever to do with homosexuality. Does that matter? Not one bit. People have been indoctrinated to believe it means homosexuality.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2015 12:13:02 PM
At 6/21/2015 12:08:21 PM, sadolite wrote:

/end rant

You have given the facts and now they don't matter. People will believe what they want to believe. Most will say it is a racial slur because they have been indoctrinated since birth to believe that. End of story. Gay means Happy and joyful. It has nothing what so ever to do with homosexuality. Does that matter? Not one bit. People have been indoctrinated to believe it means homosexuality.

It's an indication of the complete failure of the education system to educate the use of English language properly.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
ShabShoral
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2015 12:22:11 PM

/end rant

I've seen someone get offended at Aristotle for being a racist whilst I was listening to him on audio... I know that feeling.
"This site is trash as a debate site. It's club penguin for dysfunctional adults."

~ Skepsikyma <3

"Your idea of good writing is like Spinoza mixed with Heidegger."

~ Dylly Dylly Cat Cat

"You seem to aspire to be a cross between a Jewish hipster, an old school WASP aristocrat, and a political iconoclast"

~ Thett the Mighty

"fvck omg ur face"

~ Liz
Ajabi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2015 12:50:27 PM
At 6/21/2015 12:22:11 PM, ShabShoral wrote:

/end rant

I've seen someone get offended at Aristotle for being a racist whilst I was listening to him on audio... I know that feeling.

That day I was reading Heidegger and someone called me a neo-Nazi...I'm not kidding when I say my teacher actually asked me why I was spreading Nazi propoganda...
ShabShoral
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2015 12:53:15 PM
At 6/21/2015 12:50:27 PM, Ajabi wrote:

/end rant

That day I was reading Heidegger and someone called me a neo-Nazi...I'm not kidding when I say my teacher actually asked me why I was spreading Nazi propoganda...

The difference is that Heidegger was actually a nazi, lol.
"This site is trash as a debate site. It's club penguin for dysfunctional adults."

~ Skepsikyma <3

"Your idea of good writing is like Spinoza mixed with Heidegger."

~ Dylly Dylly Cat Cat

"You seem to aspire to be a cross between a Jewish hipster, an old school WASP aristocrat, and a political iconoclast"

~ Thett the Mighty

"fvck omg ur face"

~ Liz
Ajabi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2015 1:04:01 PM
At 6/21/2015 12:53:15 PM, ShabShoral wrote:
At 6/21/2015 12:50:27 PM, Ajabi wrote:

/end rant

The difference is that Heidegger was actually a nazi, lol.

Yes, but his works hardly propagate Nazism. To appraise his works on his beliefs is ad hominem.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2015 12:20:55 PM
At 6/21/2015 6:28:17 PM, no1special wrote:
At 6/21/2015 1:36:30 PM, XLAV wrote:
Niggard is the new nigger.

inb4...

Who is more likely to be a niggard, a white or a black?
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2015 12:42:42 PM

/end rant

The intent of you using this word is racist.
no1special
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2015 7:51:24 PM
At 6/22/2015 12:20:55 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 6/21/2015 6:28:17 PM, no1special wrote:
At 6/21/2015 1:36:30 PM, XLAV wrote:
Niggard is the new nigger.

inb4...

Who is more likely to be a niggard, a white or a black?
More in the Godwin vein