Jump to topic:

Would you Engage in Pre-martial Sex?

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2015 2:35:29 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
This is a rather personal question, but I am curious as to whether you would engage in sex before wedlock, or at least before getting engaged? There are a variety of views on this subject (religious, philosophical, practical, etc.), and I know DDO has a diversity of views on the issue.

What would you do, and what is your reasoning for the stance you take?
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
Paradox_7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2015 2:47:45 AM
I'm married now, so I don't think it applies.

Have I? Oh yeah... farrrr too much.

It has caused a ton of pain and trouble in my life as a result as well. Especially in my marriage; we had my son out of wedlock-- the lil b@stard! lol jk...

So, should I? No, absolutely not.

Knowing what I know now, would I refrain? I don't know... =/ I'm flooded with temptation and lust now and its a pain in the butt, so I could only imagine if I was single again...
: At 10/23/2012 8:06:03 PM, tvellalott wrote:
: Don't be. The Catholic Church is ran by Darth Sidius for fvck sake. As far as I'm concerned, you're a bona fide member of the Sith.
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2015 2:52:22 AM
At 6/20/2015 2:35:29 AM, bsh1 wrote:
This is a rather personal question, but I am curious as to whether you would engage in sex before wedlock, or at least before getting engaged? There are a variety of views on this subject (religious, philosophical, practical, etc.), and I know DDO has a diversity of views on the issue.

Hell yes.

1. Sex is pleasurable & fun
2. Satisfies your sex drive
3. It's a way of being more intimate with your partner

There are a number of studies which show a strong link between sex life and marriage quality too - although I don't know if causation has been established. If there is a causal effect from good sex to improved marriage - then it would also serve as a good puts us test for a potentially bad marriage, too.

But rather than beating around a bush, #1 and 2 are the most obvious, and arguably the most substantive reasons to have sex regardless of martial status. No need to dress it up in Shakespeare.
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2015 2:54:02 AM
At 6/20/2015 2:47:45 AM, Paradox_7 wrote:

It has caused a ton of pain and trouble in my life as a result as well. Especially in my marriage; we had my son out of wedlock-- the lil b@stard! lol jk...

I was born out of wedlock too, to hell with my unreasonable parents...

So, should I? No, absolutely not.

Knowing what I know now, would I refrain? I don't know... =/ I'm flooded with temptation and lust now and its a pain in the butt, so I could only imagine if I was single again...
Paradox_7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2015 2:56:29 AM
At 6/20/2015 2:54:02 AM, Envisage wrote:
At 6/20/2015 2:47:45 AM, Paradox_7 wrote:

I was born out of wedlock too, to hell with my unreasonable parents...

As was I, and my pops was never really around... but luckily I got a legit step-dad!

so its all good.. lol
: At 10/23/2012 8:06:03 PM, tvellalott wrote:
: Don't be. The Catholic Church is ran by Darth Sidius for fvck sake. As far as I'm concerned, you're a bona fide member of the Sith.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2015 9:32:33 AM
I believe it's better to wait, at the very least waiting is correlated with a ton of positive things. If I could go back, I'd remain a virgin until marriage.
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2015 11:20:20 AM
I think it's immoral to engage in extra-marital sex because God forbids it. The good Lord blessed me with being ugly and weird, so being abstinent has not been difficult at all for me.
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2015 12:04:55 PM
No. But then again, I'm not going to marry either.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2015 2:56:42 PM
At 6/20/2015 12:04:55 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

Why?
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

Follow the DDOlympics

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2015 3:10:01 PM
At 6/20/2015 3:05:00 PM, RevNge wrote:
At 6/20/2015 2:56:42 PM, bsh1 wrote:
Answer your own question. :3

Now I won't, just to frustrate you ;)
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

Bennett91
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2015 3:30:52 PM

I have engaged in pre-marital sex with a variety of people. My reasoning being horny and not believing moral restrictions behind such things.
ironslippers
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2015 3:43:37 PM

Though I don't answer your question you might find my story interesting:
When I was younger. I always asked my date at the end of the night "We can either go to my place ;-) OR I can take you home and we can go on to date some more, what would you like? Not once did I ever get the response that they would like to date again. Subsequently I have had more one night stands than I can count and I have never been married. I always wanted to be in somebody, heart, mind and soul, but what I got was enjoyable freaky sex. Though my peers were quite envious of my sexual prowness, I was always left sad and lonely. This could be because of my own flaw in character or my willingness to take advantage of other's character flaws.

MHO Delay of gratification is a top qualifier of someones character. If you know you're going to get some whats the hurry (let the personal relationship climax first).

note: many of those one night stands didn't understand the gravity of what I had proposed and would call or come over with gifts as if they were my girlfriend after the fact and I feel bad for the number of broken hearts I left in my wake.
Feel free to psychoanalyse.
Everyone stands on their own dung hill and speaks out about someone else's - Nathan Krusemark
Its easier to criticize and hate than it is to support and create - I Ron Slippers
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2015 4:08:54 PM
At 6/20/2015 12:04:55 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

Why?

Personal reasons.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2015 11:22:19 PM

I'm against it for moral reasons - secular ones, though. I've explained this in an opinion:

http://www.debate.org...

BTW, one of the reasons I support gay marriage is that it will reduce sex without marriage among homosexuals.
The thing is, I hate relativism. I hate relativism more than I hate everything else, excepting, maybe, fibreglass powerboats... What it overlooks, to put it briefly and crudely, is the fixed structure of human nature. - Jerry Fodor

Don't be a stat cynic:

Response to conservative views on deforestation:

Topics I'd like to debate (not debating ATM): http://tinyurl.com...
belladb8s
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2015 12:53:24 PM
I have a ton. Far, far too much.

I know this is strange due to both my age and the fact I am a female. But it is for these two reasons that I believe my opinion is interesting and my story even more so...and a bit sad.

The reason I started so early was not due to a higher than normal sex drive. It was as a result of sexual abuse that went on for about two years, and I began sleeping around afterwards because I didn't like being in the gray. By some people's definitions I was a virgin, and by others I wasn't, and I didn't want other people to decide for me. So I decided for myself, and became addicted in the process.

Overall, despite all my experiences good and bad, I am still a proponent for pre-marital sex. But I think it is very important for a person to have maturity and a backbone, and thus can determine if the sex is safe, meaning not damaging emotionally or physically.

Necessities for Safe Sex:
1. You feel one hundred percent comfortable with your partner and vice versa, and there is strong mutual trust. You guys are honest to each other and yourselves about what you want and where you see your relationship.
2. You and your partner engage in sex in a safe and comfortable place.
3. You and your partner are protected (condom, birth control, etc..)

Pre-marital sex isn't the enemy. It's immature people not following those guidelines.
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2015 2:53:33 PM

No. I got married in my 30s and there was nothing before marriage. I would make arguments, but they would mostly deny gay sex as well - so probably not interested.
Lee001
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2015 4:32:52 PM

I would have to say no. I believe sex after marriage is best. Not only that, but you're saving it for someone special and who you love ^_^
"Condoms are societal constructs created by the government to restrain 'Murican freedom!"-SolonKR

"But I jest and digress (sick rhymes, yo); every boob is equal in the eyes of the Lord."- SolonKR

"Oh Hey, Seeing Artichokes Makes Me Want to Have Sex."- SolonKR

"Yep, but anyone who touches my hair immediately ascends to the heavens..You're already an angel, so touching my hair can do nothing <3" -SolonKR

My hubby Hayd <3 <3
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2015 4:43:43 PM
At 6/20/2015 3:10:01 PM, bsh1 wrote:
At 6/20/2015 3:05:00 PM, RevNge wrote:
Answer your own question. :3

Now I won't, just to frustrate you ;)

*scoffs* Tease.
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2015 4:44:10 PM
At 6/23/2015 4:32:52 PM, Lee001 wrote:

I would have to say no. I believe sex after marriage is best. Not only that, but you're saving it for someone special and who you love ^_^

Why not have sex with someone special and who you love BEFORE marriage?
Lee001
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2015 4:45:44 PM
At 6/23/2015 4:44:10 PM, RevNge wrote:

Because some people just want women for sex. They pretend to love you and treat you special. Then once you have sex with them, they're off. I'm not saying all men are like that because it isn't true, but allot are sad to say.
"Condoms are societal constructs created by the government to restrain 'Murican freedom!"-SolonKR

"But I jest and digress (sick rhymes, yo); every boob is equal in the eyes of the Lord."- SolonKR

"Yep, but anyone who touches my hair immediately ascends to the heavens..You're already an angel, so touching my hair can do nothing <3" -SolonKR

My hubby Hayd <3 <3
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2015 4:50:01 PM
At 6/23/2015 4:45:44 PM, Lee001 wrote:

Because some people just want women for sex. They pretend to love you and treat you special. Then once you have sex with them, they're off. I'm not saying all men are like that because it isn't true, but allot are sad to say.

So, in other words, you can't trust people until after marriage.
Lee001
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2015 4:50:43 PM
At 6/23/2015 4:50:01 PM, RevNge wrote:

If they love you enough, they will wait till after marriage.

My hubby Hayd <3 <3
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2015 4:58:47 PM
At 6/23/2015 4:50:43 PM, Lee001 wrote:

Will you marry me?
Lee001
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2015 4:59:25 PM
At 6/23/2015 4:58:47 PM, Envisage wrote:

Will you marry me?

Never.

My hubby Hayd <3 <3
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2015 5:01:51 PM
At 6/23/2015 4:59:25 PM, Lee001 wrote:

Will you marry me?

OMG YES

How sweet.
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2015 5:02:13 PM
At 6/23/2015 4:59:25 PM, Lee001 wrote:

Will you marry me?

Never.

What if I offered to buy the ribbed condoms?