Total Posts:8|Showing Posts:1-8
Jump to topic:

Thought Experiment (not in the wrong forum)

Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2015 8:29:26 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Imagine that the Government currently had mind-reading technology. The Government had recorded the thoughts of all 40,000 or so Americans who were on a "terrorist threat" list. You were on that list because of some stupid comment you made on the internet at 13 years of age. So, the Government had a record of almost every thought you ever had.

Then, suddenly, a malicious hacker steals all this information and posts it on the internet. So, suddenly, anybody on the internet can view just about every thought that you've ever had. Several of your family members and friends go through the records.

How would you feel? Please describe it in detail.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2015 11:24:06 PM
At 6/20/2015 8:29:26 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
Imagine that the Government currently had mind-reading technology. The Government had recorded the thoughts of all 40,000 or so Americans who were on a "terrorist threat" list. You were on that list because of some stupid comment you made on the internet at 13 years of age. So, the Government had a record of almost every thought you ever had.

Then, suddenly, a malicious hacker steals all this information and posts it on the internet. So, suddenly, anybody on the internet can view just about every thought that you've ever had. Several of your family members and friends go through the records.

I sure don't want everyone to know whom I was crushing on when I was 15... or the silly murderous thoughts I had (at a time, whenever I felt sleepy, I imagined I was stabbing a villain to death. The adrenaline rush would keep me awake.)

In a word, I'd be super embarrassed.
The thing is, I hate relativism. I hate relativism more than I hate everything else, excepting, maybe, fibreglass powerboats... What it overlooks, to put it briefly and crudely, is the fixed structure of human nature. - Jerry Fodor

Don't be a stat cynic:
http://www.debate.org...

Response to conservative views on deforestation:
http://www.debate.org...

Topics I'd like to debate (not debating ATM): http://tinyurl.com...
greatkitteh
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2015 5:58:53 AM

I have two versions:

Reallistic Version: First off all, I dont Have friends. But Anyway, I would probably Not care, As i think about Alot of nerdy stuff, Any my "Freinds" Will go to sleep Before looking at my personnal buisness. Also, Ill purposely Think of More nerdy stuff to bore my "freinds".

Unrrallistic Version: Go To north Korea, Tell them All U.S. secrets, Make them nuke the USA, and it will be done.
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2015 12:01:07 PM
At 6/20/2015 11:24:06 PM, Diqiucun_Cunmin wrote:

I sure don't want everyone to know whom I was crushing on when I was 15... or the silly murderous thoughts I had (at a time, whenever I felt sleepy, I imagined I was stabbing a villain to death. The adrenaline rush would keep me awake.)

In a word, I'd be super embarrassed.

Would you say that virtually all humans would feel the same way?

The DDO Blog:

sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2015 12:02:44 PM

I would have long been in prison for my thoughts about govt. Govt already has said it considers me a terrorist for my beliefs. Everyone I know already knows what I think so that wouldn't be any big deal other than blushing from the profanity in my mind about govt.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2015 12:16:44 PM
At 6/21/2015 12:02:44 PM, sadolite wrote:

I would have long been in prison for my thoughts about govt. Govt already has said it considers me a terrorist for my beliefs. Everyone I know already knows what I think so that wouldn't be any big deal other than blushing from the profanity in my mind about govt.

Let's be more specific though. At any point in your life did you ever actually decide to take an illegal course of action against the U.S. Government (and later decide not to)?
Questions like this are a challenge to laws concerning intent to commit crimes.

But other than this, let's talk about your life in general. You may have in your teenage years entertained some really retarded ideas, or entertained erotic thoughts about a family member (if only for a very brief moment) or entertained the thought of very graphically killing somebody. Or you may recall a time that you used or hurt someone in a way that you're ashamed of now.
Every human being, I think, has at least some baggage that they'd do everything they could to keep secret.

The DDO Blog:

DollarStoreSushi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2015 12:40:36 PM
I can imagine some things would be embarrassing, the thoughts of a hormonal, teenage boy and all. But for the most part its all stuff that any of my friends would laugh about with me, not at me. My siblings would probably just make fun of me, but Im used to that already, being the youngest of the family.

I think my mom might be troubled, because I always present myself as very positive and strong to her. I share my feelings with her, but Im always very conscious to speak in a certain way as not to stress her out or worry her. To be able to read some of my darker, sadder thoughts. I think that would worry her. But then again, she doesnt seem the type who would knowingly read my thoughts anyway,

Other than sexual thoughts or periods of sadness, I don't think there is too much in my thoughts that would shock anyone or embarrass me. I am for the most part patient and positive. I think a lot about the same things I talk about. The worst things I think about enter my mind during my morning commute, and I dont think I really think anything that much worse than anyone else in the subway at that time of the day.

Ive certainly had thoughts Ive felt guilty about, but there are fleeting things, not things I obsess over. Most of my obsessive, repetitive thoughts are all about work and school.

All that said, I would feel violated by the government that they were tracking and recording the thoughts of people for over ten years. I dont like the idea that such private information could be collected and would be left vulnerable enough to be hacked.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2015 1:48:44 PM
At 6/21/2015 12:16:44 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
At 6/21/2015 12:02:44 PM, sadolite wrote:

Let's be more specific though. At any point in your life did you ever actually decide to take an illegal course of action against the U.S. Government (and later decide not to)?
Questions like this are a challenge to laws concerning intent to commit crimes.

But other than this, let's talk about your life in general. You may have in your teenage years entertained some really retarded ideas, or entertained erotic thoughts about a family member (if only for a very brief moment) or entertained the thought of very graphically killing somebody. Or you may recall a time that you used or hurt someone in a way that you're ashamed of now.
Every human being, I think, has at least some baggage that they'd do everything they could to keep secret.

This may come as a surprise to you but everything about your life that has been documented by the authorities is on record even as a child. If your name was written down, it's on record and duly recorded. It's just that your juvenile record is not available to the public. It doesn't mean govt erased it. It will use it to their advantage if it needs to. Everyone thinks things. Govt would focus on recorded actions in the past that mirror current thoughts.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%