Total Posts:49|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Any foreign language speakers en la casa?

Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2015 6:23:30 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I have always loved linguisitics. (Thought about majoring in it in college for a bit.) And I love learning and studying about foreign languages.

It is a rare thing in my country..to speak a 2nd language. Only 10% of all Americans are even proficient in a foreign language. (And many of them have trouble with English!) LOL--

So...I was wondering if anybody here speaks a second--or third or fourth--language. I am guessing there will be a lot more of our European amigos here on DDO that do so.

Me? I am fluent en Espanol..and have been studying German for a few years. Not proficient yet, but I can get by and if I lived in a place where they spoke only German I think I could just about communicate enough to get by.

So...who else? What languages. Perhpas give us a few words in it--with translation of course!

Muchas gracias para te tiempo, mis amigos!
Science Flies Us to the Moon. Religion Flies us Into Skyscrapers.
PatriotPerson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2015 7:03:13 PM
I'm fluent in English (duh) and learning Spanish and Danish.
"Victory has a thousand fathers, but defeat is an orphan" -JFK
"You all stink like poo poo" - Rich Davis
"That idea may just be crazy enough... TO GET US ALL KILLED!" -Squidward Tentacles
"My heart is always breaking for the ghosts that haunt this room." -Nate Ruess
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2015 7:11:06 PM
At 6/24/2015 7:03:13 PM, PatriotPerson wrote:
Why Danish? I am curious.
PatriotPerson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2015 7:12:48 PM
At 6/24/2015 7:11:06 PM, Mirza wrote:
At 6/24/2015 7:03:13 PM, PatriotPerson wrote:
Why Danish? I am curious.

Its just a cool language, and Denmark is a cool place. For example:
English: The man eats the cheese.
Danish: Manden spiser osten.
"That idea may just be crazy enough... TO GET US ALL KILLED!" -Squidward Tentacles
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2015 7:17:06 PM
At 6/24/2015 7:12:48 PM, PatriotPerson wrote:
Indeed.

FYI, if you learn Danish, you'll easily understand written Norwegian and Swedish. However, the accents are very different, so in spoken form you probably will not.
PatriotPerson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2015 7:19:02 PM
At 6/24/2015 7:17:06 PM, Mirza wrote:
Indeed.

FYI, if you learn Danish, you'll easily understand written Norwegian and Swedish. However, the accents are very different, so in spoken form you probably will not.

How would the accents effect how they're spoken? I mean, they just sound different is all.

Danish, Norwegian, and Swedish are obviously all different languages, but how similar are they?
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2015 7:25:42 PM
At 6/24/2015 7:19:02 PM, PatriotPerson wrote:
How would the accents effect how they're spoken? I mean, they just sound different is all.
That's what I meant - excuse me. The pronunciation is very different. For instance, "Sweden" in Danish and Swedish are spelled the same way, but listen to how they are pronounced: https://translate.google.dk... There are regional differences as well, though.

Danish, Norwegian, and Swedish are obviously all different languages, but how similar are they?
They are more like different dialects than languages.
belladb8s
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2015 2:47:17 PM
At 6/24/2015 6:23:30 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
I have always loved linguisitics. (Thought about majoring in it in college for a bit.) And I love learning and studying about foreign languages.

It is a rare thing in my country..to speak a 2nd language. Only 10% of all Americans are even proficient in a foreign language. (And many of them have trouble with English!) LOL--

So...I was wondering if anybody here speaks a second--or third or fourth--language. I am guessing there will be a lot more of our European amigos here on DDO that do so.

Me? I am fluent en Espanol..and have been studying German for a few years. Not proficient yet, but I can get by and if I lived in a place where they spoke only German I think I could just about communicate enough to get by.

So...who else? What languages. Perhpas give us a few words in it--with translation of course!

I am fluent in English (of course) and Greek. I am working on Spanish.
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2015 3:38:15 PM
At 6/25/2015 2:47:17 PM, belladb8s wrote:

I am fluent in English (of course) and Greek. I am working on Spanish.

Cool. (BTW: hello gorgeous!)

Say something in Greek for me. Please?

How about: "Drew...you are so hot it makes me dizzy."

LOL--or something like that.

ttyl.
Juan_Pablo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2015 3:59:59 PM
I speak spanish (mucho gusto, joven!); I know a smattering of French (Ou sont les toilettes?); and I know how to count from zero to ten in Japanese (rei, ichi, ni, san, yon, go, ruku, nana, hachi, kyuu, juu).

Plus I'm fluent in the mysterious language of cosmic matter (taps finger against desk three times as evidence).
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2015 4:58:24 PM
At 6/25/2015 3:59:59 PM, Juan_Pablo wrote:
I speak spanish (mucho gusto, joven!); I know a smattering of French (Ou sont les toilettes?); and I know how to count from zero to ten in Japanese (rei, ichi, ni, san, yon, go, ruku, nana, hachi, kyuu, juu).

Plus I'm fluent in the mysterious language of cosmic matter (taps finger against desk three times as evidence).

LOL---thanks!
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2015 5:03:02 PM
At 6/24/2015 7:17:06 PM, Mirza wrote:
Indeed.

Danish is Dutch, right?

Reminds me a bit of German. "The man eats the cheese" in German would be....

Der mann isst den Kase

Mm..I think! LOL
debate_power
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2015 5:21:38 PM
I speak Russian in addition to English.
You can call me Mark if you like.
debate_power
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2015 5:28:21 PM
At 6/25/2015 5:21:38 PM, debate_power wrote:

Signature change
You can call me Mark if you like.
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2015 5:31:32 PM

I speak some Spanish, but I do love studying Russian and Japanese.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2015 5:43:15 PM
At 6/25/2015 5:03:02 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
Danish is Dutch, right?
No, not at all

Reminds me a bit of German.
Danish, Dutch, and German are all Germanic languages, and therefore have similarities. But, they are nonetheless very different.
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2015 6:34:15 PM
At 6/25/2015 5:28:21 PM, debate_power wrote:

Signature change

Russian is an awesome language and I thought about trying to learn it, but it seemed a bit too difficult. I mean, wow--for an English speaker--we have to learn that whole Cyrillic alphabet. And THEN the language. So it's like really learning TWO languages. But I love the sound of Russian. Do you have a Cyrillic keyboard or App for writing in russki?
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2015 6:36:10 PM
At 6/25/2015 5:43:15 PM, Mirza wrote:
At 6/25/2015 5:03:02 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
Danish is Dutch, right?
No, not at all

Reminds me a bit of German.
Danish, Dutch, and German are all Germanic languages, and therefore have similarities. But, they are nonetheless very different.

Exactly right.

And..many English speakers--at least here in America--do not know that English is a member of the Germanic language tree. You can really see that influence when you read Old English. I had to read it in college when I read Beowulf. That was tough!
UtherPenguin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2015 6:36:50 PM
At 6/25/2015 5:28:21 PM, debate_power wrote:

Signature change

Could I call you Mike also?
"Praise Allah."
~YYW
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2015 8:21:51 PM
At 6/25/2015 7:47:13 PM, Scratch wrote:
Fluent in Spanish. I flirted with German for a while and plan on learning more.

donde aprendiste tu espanol? Para quantos anos?
Scratch
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2015 8:43:56 PM
At 6/25/2015 8:21:51 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:

Vivi en Argentina unos cuantos anos; asi que aprendi castellano como un joven.
Trump Trump Trump
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2015 9:01:59 PM
At 6/25/2015 8:43:56 PM, Scratch wrote:
At 6/25/2015 8:21:51 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:

Vivi en Argentina unos cuantos anos; asi que aprendi castellano como un joven.

Ahh...castelleno.

Para mi, no. LOL. Porque, he aprendido la mayor parte de mi espa"oles de vivir en Texas durante 10 anos. Yo tengo mi propio negocio paisaje, y tuve varios empleados mexicanos ! "por favor: hable con mio solomente en espanol!"

Esta es el mejor escuela!

Grasias.
Sapphique
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2015 9:20:01 PM
I'm fluent in English (obviously) and Mandarin. Learning French at school--I can carry on a conversation somewhat but I'm not that fluent.
DDO Beginners' Mafia Moderator -- PM me if you'd like to learn how to play mafia!

"We wondered what happiness would look like if we could give it a physical form...the shape of happiness might resemble glass...even though you don't usually notice it, it's still definitely there. You merely have to change your point of view slightly, and then that glass will sparkle when it reflects the light. I doubt that anything else could argue its own existence more eloquently." ~Lelouch
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2015 3:19:32 PM
At 6/25/2015 6:34:15 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
Russian is an awesome language and I thought about trying to learn it, but it seemed a bit too difficult. I mean, wow--for an English speaker--we have to learn that whole Cyrillic alphabet. And THEN the language. So it's like really learning TWO languages.
Cyrillic is a lot easier to learn than the language. I learned it by reading when I was very young. Never got to learn it in school in my homeland because I moved. But, without a doubt language is harder.
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2015 3:43:51 PM
At 6/26/2015 3:19:32 PM, Mirza wrote:
At 6/25/2015 6:34:15 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
Russian is an awesome language and I thought about trying to learn it, but it seemed a bit too difficult. I mean, wow--for an English speaker--we have to learn that whole Cyrillic alphabet. And THEN the language. So it's like really learning TWO languages.
Cyrillic is a lot easier to learn than the language. I learned it by reading when I was very young. Never got to learn it in school in my homeland because I moved. But, without a doubt language is harder.

Yeah..makes sense. i think they key is to learn a language that differs so very much from your native tongue is to learn it, as you did with the Cyrillic, when we are young.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2015 3:47:57 PM
At 6/26/2015 3:43:51 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
Yeah..makes sense. i think they key is to learn a language that differs so very much from your native tongue is to learn it, as you did with the Cyrillic, when we are young.
Cyrillic is our official script alongside Latin, so I just had to learn the letters, as the alphabet corresponds with Latin. It differs in other Slavic languages, but very little. As for learning a language when we are young, it is indeed easier; the older we grow, the harder it is.
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2015 4:12:17 PM
At 6/26/2015 3:47:57 PM, Mirza wrote:
At 6/26/2015 3:43:51 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
Cyrillic is our official script alongside Latin, so I just had to learn the letters, as the alphabet corresponds with Latin. It differs in other Slavic languages, but very little. As for learning a language when we are young, it is indeed easier; the older we grow, the harder it is.

Yep. We are more set in our ways. And psychologists say our brain just simply slows down in becoming "sponge like" in absorbing new knowledge, as it is in our childhoods.
Adults are also less patient; we want results faster. Thus are more apt to quit when we get frustrated by our slow pace. This is a prime reason for kids learning musical instruments faster as well.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2015 4:18:11 PM
At 6/26/2015 4:12:17 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
Yep. We are more set in our ways. And psychologists say our brain just simply slows down in becoming "sponge like" in absorbing new knowledge, as it is in our childhoods.
Adults are also less patient; we want results faster. Thus are more apt to quit when we get frustrated by our slow pace. This is a prime reason for kids learning musical instruments faster as well.
Yes. In the physical aspect as well; foot-eye coordination seems extremely difficult compared to hand-eye, which is why football (soccer) is mastered from a very young age. I don't think any football player became very good after starting in adolescence.