Jump to topic:

What are you reading right now?

Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2015 8:13:30 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Any readers in the house? especially of non-fiction? But I am also interested in what novels you guys might be reading.

I try to read at least one non-fiction book and one novel every week or so.

Currently I am reading..........

Inferno....By Dan Brown

And......."Sex, Murder, and the Meaning of Life: How an Evolutionary Psychologist Explains Why we do what we Do".... By Douglas Kenrick

How about you?

Thanks!

https://play.google.com...
Science Flies Us to the Moon. Religion Flies us Into Skyscrapers.
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2015 8:29:07 PM
Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion Paperback by Robert Cialdini. I've only read maybe 30 books in my life, but this is by far the most eye-opening.

It essentially details the automatic switches in human psychology that are perennially exploited by marketers, con-artists, salesmen, and the political class.

Once you read even the first few chapters, you'll start seeing the principles illuminated all around you (e.g. the homeless guy who wipes your windshield and then asks for money--reciprocation principle). It gives you so much defensive power, being able to quickly understand what technique someone is using on you, so that you don't fall prey to them.

Without these psychological tricks government would be impossible to sustain.
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2015 9:03:41 PM
At 6/28/2015 8:29:07 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion Paperback by Robert Cialdini. I've only read maybe 30 books in my life, but this is by far the most eye-opening.

It essentially details the automatic switches in human psychology that are perennially exploited by marketers, con-artists, salesmen, and the political class.

Once you read even the first few chapters, you'll start seeing the principles illuminated all around you (e.g. the homeless guy who wipes your windshield and then asks for money--reciprocation principle). It gives you so much defensive power, being able to quickly understand what technique someone is using on you, so that you don't fall prey to them.

Without these psychological tricks government would be impossible to sustain.

If your like that sort of thing you would dig this book: "Cool--How the Brain's Hidden Quest for Cool Drives our Economy and Shapes our World."

Check it out..........http://www.amazon.com...
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2015 9:15:41 PM
Guns, Germs, and Steel - Jared Diamond

It's an extremely valuable sweep of human history designed to provide an alternative to the implied genetic/innate explanation for the disparity between today's developed and developing nations. I just with it didn't get so darn boring in the middle....
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
belladb8s
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2015 10:55:18 PM
Quantum Computing Since Democritus
A Century of War: Anglo-American Oil Politics and the New World Order
Slaughterhouse Five
The Poetry of Robert Frost
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2015 1:04:22 AM
The Great Mortality. It's a book about the Black Death. The most interesting part so far was the account of a plague chronicler whose work ends something along the lines of "And this plague ended_________." He intended to return and fill in the blank, but instead caught the plague and died. As fitting an end to a plague chronicle as any.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2015 1:21:02 AM
A book called how to debate, originally written in the 1930. I think I'll stop reading it though. I wanted to use it to talk about various things with people but then I realized, nobody wants to discuss that stuff. Maybe I'll change my mind and finish reading it, though. It is more for amusement than anything else.
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2015 1:06:07 PM
At 6/28/2015 9:15:41 PM, 000ike wrote:
Guns, Germs, and Steel - Jared Diamond

It's an extremely valuable sweep of human history designed to provide an alternative to the implied genetic/innate explanation for the disparity between today's developed and developing nations. I just with it didn't get so darn boring in the middle....

That is an awesome book, my friend.

I read it about three years ago.

Not an easy read. Very comprehensive and complex. Took me about a month to finish. But well worth the effort!
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2015 1:07:57 PM
At 6/28/2015 10:55:18 PM, belladb8s wrote:
Quantum Computing Since Democritus
A Century of War: Anglo-American Oil Politics and the New World Order
Slaughterhouse Five
The Poetry of Robert Frost

Ahh..Slaughterhouse Five.

RIP Kurt Vonnegut. One of my all-time favorite novelists. I have read everything he ever wrote. Well, at least all of his novels. I bet I read Slaughterhouse five times.

Long live Kilgore Trout!
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2015 1:08:51 PM
At 6/29/2015 1:04:22 AM, thett3 wrote:
The Great Mortality. It's a book about the Black Death. The most interesting part so far was the account of a plague chronicler whose work ends something along the lines of "And this plague ended_________." He intended to return and fill in the blank, but instead caught the plague and died. As fitting an end to a plague chronicle as any.

Ahh..nothing like a little light Summer time reading, eh?

LOL...thanks!
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2015 1:10:18 PM
I have one to add...it just came in from a Hold I put on it from my campus library.....

CODE--The Hidden Language of Computer Hardware and Software..by Charles Petzold.
Conservative12
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2015 11:11:14 PM
Ya a lot of scholars and stuff or just people who read advanced books in da house

Me I'm no help as of about March I have only been reading legal cases, so odds are no one will know what the hell I'm taking about.

But right now I am reading The Queen vs Truscott (the appeal)
Surrealism
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2015 2:16:56 AM
I did recently start to read The Information by James Gleick. It's a great history of our understanding of information, math, and computer science. But it is lengthy, so I'm taking a break.

And during that break I am reading the Foundation series by Isaac Asimov. Mainly because I've now learned enough history to understand all the symbolism for the Roman Empire and whatnot.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
n7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2015 2:06:44 PM
At 6/30/2015 2:16:56 AM, Surrealism wrote:
And during that break I am reading the Foundation series by Isaac Asimov. Mainly because I've now learned enough history to understand all the symbolism for the Roman Empire and whatnot.

Damn good series. I'm on second foundation.

I recommend not reading the prequels unless you've already read the robot series. They tie into each other and a lot wont make sense if you haven't. The ending of the first prequel will be completely lost on you.
404 coherent debate topic not found. Please restart the debate with clear resolution.

Uphold Marxist-Leninist-Maoist-Sargonist-n7ism.
Surrealism
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2015 8:07:23 PM
At 6/30/2015 2:06:44 PM, n7 wrote:
At 6/30/2015 2:16:56 AM, Surrealism wrote:

Damn good series. I'm on second foundation.

I recommend not reading the prequels unless you've already read the robot series. They tie into each other and a lot wont make sense if you haven't. The ending of the first prequel will be completely lost on you.

When I said reading, I actually meant rereading. I read the entire series and the extra books (Nemesis and Pebble in the Sky) back in middle school. I just didn't appreciate them as much then.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Sharku
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2015 11:44:50 PM
At 6/29/2015 5:03:29 PM, UtherPenguin wrote:
All you people reading smart books and I'm just here reading manga.

Don't worry, my reading consists of buzzfeed gifs.
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2015 12:18:31 PM
At 6/28/2015 8:13:30 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
Capitalism and Freedom by Milton Friedman
Security Challenges along the Korean Peninsual.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2015 1:17:49 PM
At 7/2/2015 12:20:20 PM, Varrack wrote:
I just finished America: Imagine a World Without Her by Dinesh D'Souza.

How did you like it?

I sort of like D'Souza. I think he is my favorite Christian apologist. I read his "Evidence for God" or whatever the title was, last year. While, as an Atheist I cannot say I wholly agreed with his, I did enjoy his thoughts and he seemed sincere and fairly objective.
Varrack
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2015 1:22:48 PM
At 7/2/2015 1:17:49 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:

How did you like it?

I enjoyed it a lot. His book is basically dedicated to refuting the critique that the existence of America is based on theft, and he goes about it on many different angles.

I sort of like D'Souza. I think he is my favorite Christian apologist. I read his "Evidence for God" or whatever the title was, last year. While, as an Atheist I cannot say I wholly agreed with his, I did enjoy his thoughts and he seemed sincere and fairly objective.

Interesting. I read his other book on religion, "What's so Great About Christianity", which does provide arguments for God's existence but also attempts to show why Christianity is unique in comparison to other world views.
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2015 1:25:18 PM
At 7/2/2015 1:22:48 PM, Varrack wrote:
At 7/2/2015 1:17:49 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:

How did you like it?

I enjoyed it a lot. His book is basically dedicated to refuting the critique that the existence of America is based on theft, and he goes about it on many different angles.

Interesting. I read his other book on religion, "What's so Great About Christianity", which does provide arguments for God's existence but also attempts to show why Christianity is unique in comparison to other world views.

Actually....THAT was the book I read!. I read so many theology books I get them mixed up at times. "The Evidence For God" must have been by somebody else.

"What's So Great....?" was not bad as far as those sort of books go.

My other favorite Christian writer....by far...is John Shelby Spong.
Paradox_7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/3/2015 2:26:44 AM
The label of my Bud Light platinum...
: At 10/23/2012 8:06:03 PM, tvellalott wrote:
: Don't be. The Catholic Church is ran by Darth Sidius for fvck sake. As far as I'm concerned, you're a bona fide member of the Sith.