Jump to topic:

Leadership Advices

XLAV
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2015 10:32:53 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
So any advice for leading a squad of soldiers?

I'm playing a game where I am a leader of a squad, soon I might be a leader of a company. We aren't always in combat so I also need advices in how a leader should act in a passive situation.
Conservative12
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2015 11:05:08 PM
It's funny actually a lot of a leader's 'good qualities' were actually made on the battlefield. In order to be a good leader for a squad of soldiers you just need to be a good leader but with one change you are in constant conflict

You need to focus on moral, anyone will tell you this as soldiers need to be motivated to fight in battles (good examples: imperial Japan, North Korea and yes ISIS. Bad examples: The Iraqi army, the French army). Be strong do not let anything get you down, but be rational you need to understand the risks and rewards going into any fight. You need to speak loudly and clearly do not let fear get to you, in a way a good battle commander has to be unaffected by the situation around him. If the risks outweigh the rewards then you need to call a retreat. The rewards will come in the form of orders so listen carefully, some things are worth loosing millions for and other things are not worth loosing anyone for.

I hope this helps
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2015 1:08:52 AM
At 6/29/2015 10:32:53 PM, XLAV wrote:

I'm playing a game where I am a leader of a squad, soon I might be a leader of a company. We aren't always in combat so I also need advices in how a leader should act in a passive situation.

Keep your troops well paid and well fed, and try to keep them in battle constantly. The more you can keep them fighting and away from home, the more loyal they'll grow to you, and before long you can create a coup, and become supreme dictator.
XLAV
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2015 1:09:27 PM
Thanks for the tips.

I'm not asking what a leader should do, I'm asking how a leader should act.

Here a little bit more info.
I feel like I don't have the respect of my men. I also feel like they don't trust me as their leader. I need to gain their respect and trust.
Harper
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2015 8:33:58 PM
At 6/30/2015 1:09:27 PM, XLAV wrote:
Thanks for the tips.

I feel like I don't have the respect of my men. I also feel like they don't trust me as their leader. I need to gain their respect and trust.
Have high standards for them, and make your praise something they want to go after. Of course, you yourself need to achieve those high standards, don't be hypocritical. Don't act like their friend, don't be a pushover. Be stern and stoic. At least that's what I think.
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2015 8:38:13 PM

You need to have a good grasp of strategy, and the ability to maintain control over your men. It's that simple.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
XLAV
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2015 9:02:59 PM
At 6/30/2015 8:38:13 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

You need to have a good grasp of strategy, and the ability to maintain control over your men. It's that simple.

How do I control them exactly?
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2015 10:29:18 PM
At 6/30/2015 9:02:59 PM, XLAV wrote:
At 6/30/2015 8:38:13 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

How do I control them exactly?

Show them that you're a competent leader. That and don't be an @$$hole.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2015 6:15:21 PM

Depends on several factors.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2015 6:16:29 PM
Thanks for the tips.

Well what's your leadership style? Authoritarian, Democratic, or voluntary?

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

XLAV
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2015 9:55:34 PM
At 7/1/2015 6:16:29 PM, lannan13 wrote:
Thanks for the tips.

Uh its military.
can you explain these styles for me?
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2015 5:29:56 PM
At 7/1/2015 9:55:34 PM, XLAV wrote:
At 7/1/2015 6:16:29 PM, lannan13 wrote:
Thanks for the tips.

Uh its military.
can you explain these styles for me?
I realize military, but this truely applies to the military. It's even taught at PI.

Authoritarian: Just as the name suggests you, the leader, are in total commander, you make every decision for the unit.
Ups: Good for a tight situation.
Downs: De-motivation of Group. Unable for them to preform where they specialize.

Democratic: Still as the name sounds. The leader sits down with less senior leadership or the unit as a whole and the unit, collectively decides what is going to happen, BUT the leader has the overall authority to make the finial deccision.
Ups: Gain some respect among unit for collectivity. People do what they specialize in.
Downs: Can hurt in a tight situation. Things might not get all done.

Voluntary: Sometimes called the anarchy or lassie leadership style. People choose when to do things and how to do things. This was mainly seen in the Soviet miliatry towards the end of World War 1.
Ups: People do it when they want to.
Downs: Things may not always be done. Lack of strong leadership. Holes in Military unity.

XLAV
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2015 10:54:31 PM
At 7/2/2015 5:29:56 PM, lannan13 wrote:

Democratic: Still as the name sounds. The leader sits down with less senior leadership or the unit as a whole and the unit, collectively decides what is going to happen, BUT the leader has the overall authority to make the finial deccision.
Ups: Gain some respect among unit for collectivity. People do what they specialize in.
Downs: Can hurt in a tight situation. Things might not get all done.
Democratic fits my style.
Paradox_7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/3/2015 2:22:39 AM

Situational Leadership.

Each member of the team is an individual, and progresses through 4 possible stages:
S1-S4.

S1 = High Direction, Low Support (Directing)
S2 = High Direction, High Support (Coaching)
S3 = Low Direction, High support (Supporting)
S4 = Low Direction, Low Support (Delegating)

Each level ranges between Competence(Direction) and Commitment(Support). Everyone is different, and as a leader you need to figure out witch Leadership Situation will help them grow/progress the most. If you use S2 on and S3m you could potentially ruin the potential of a good team member.

Organize your team into these groups, and lead them accordingly.

Example:

S2, very excited to be a part of the team, pumped to be in the game, give this person instructions-- detailed instructions on what to do. Don't waste time pumping them up.

S3, very competent, but going through the motions, reinforce their confidence in themselves. Let them know their place on the team is solid, and that you're there for them. Let them know how valuable they are.

S4, let them do their thing, and give them responsibility; namely, taking care of the S1-S2's... lol
: At 10/23/2012 8:06:03 PM, tvellalott wrote:
: Don't be. The Catholic Church is ran by Darth Sidius for fvck sake. As far as I'm concerned, you're a bona fide member of the Sith.
Paradox_7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/3/2015 2:24:10 AM
Oops* Correction.. S2 you will need to pump up, I meant to type S1 on the first example.
: Don't be. The Catholic Church is ran by Darth Sidius for fvck sake. As far as I'm concerned, you're a bona fide member of the Sith.
XLAV
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/3/2015 2:35:49 AM
At 7/3/2015 2:24:10 AM, Paradox_7 wrote:
Oops* Correction.. S2 you will need to pump up, I meant to type S1 on the first example.

What do you mean by pumping them up?
Paradox_7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/3/2015 2:38:07 AM
At 7/3/2015 2:35:49 AM, XLAV wrote:
At 7/3/2015 2:24:10 AM, Paradox_7 wrote:

What do you mean by pumping them up?

Encourage them. Help them keep their head in the game.

A huge part of productivity has to do with attitude, so you need to reinforce their self-esteem and their confidence.
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2015 4:23:22 PM
Make clear decisions about what exactly should be done immediately, not stuff about general guidelines or worthy goals. Then follow through by doing what you said should be done. As soon as you discover a mistake, own up and correct it. Even if you crash and burn, people respect bold commitment and honest reappraisal.
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2015 7:44:31 PM
At 6/30/2015 1:08:52 AM, Wylted wrote:

Keep your troops well paid and well fed, and try to keep them in battle constantly. The more you can keep them fighting and away from home, the more loyal they'll grow to you, and before long you can create a coup, and become supreme dictator.

Good advice. It sounds like something from "The Art of War."
Science Flies Us to the Moon. Religion Flies us Into Skyscrapers.
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2015 7:47:34 PM
Thanks for the tips.

You can only learn their trust and respect over time. That is, after you have proved yourself to be a competent and fair leader who values the lives of him troops, and who will not ask them to do anything he would not do himself. Or herself. LOL

This does not come automatically. It must be earned. And often, even when it is earned, it comes in the from of a "grudging respect."
Science Flies Us to the Moon. Religion Flies us Into Skyscrapers.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2015 8:45:05 PM
At 7/4/2015 7:44:31 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
At 6/30/2015 1:08:52 AM, Wylted wrote:

Good advice. It sounds like something from "The Art of War."

I modeled that after what I observed of Julia's Caeser, and Ghengis Khan. Mostly Caeser though.
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2015 10:32:13 PM
Thanks for the tips.

When you say something mean it.

Don't appoligize except for a personal attack.

Don't make personal attacks.

Your already designated the in charge act like it.

Get to know your subordinates so you know what motivates, so you can influence their actions.

Perfect a look of distantly uninterested, and stay quite. People will ramble on as you nod and you will learn what motivates them.

It takes a team effort to accomplish great things, your role as a leader is to provide direction, motivation, and tempo. That is to say what the goal is, make the goal achievable and how soon that goal needs to be accomplished.

Divide large goals into smaller attainable goals.

Use the right style of leadership with the right person at the right time.

Authoritative: Tell a soldier what to do, how to it, when to do it. This is the most common leadership style for the amateur Supervisor. It takes more than this to be a leader. Takes more time to explain to soldier, but good for soldiers who are untrained or lost in the soup at the moment.

Delegative: Tell a soldier what needs to be done and when. use when the soldier is trained in accomplishing the task already. As the soldier becomes more proficient and higher in level of Command and Control, the "what to do" can be larger in scope but not any more vague"

Cooperative: Discuss what to do and how to do it in the allotted time to hit mission goals. When a team is composed of many well trained soldiers time permitting use this method. two heads are better than one. Requires experience, mutual respect and articulate soldiers. use most often by professional teams. As leader you make the decision of what plan to follow out of the team suggestions. then every one on board with that single plan 100%.

Some tips to gain respect. Respect is a two way treat. just because someone is suggesting an alternative way is not team destructive. Publicly demeaning or going against your explicit orders are. Try saying " I understand your point. I want to see it done the way I said, because..."

Another key to respect is punishment. Don't allow anyone to do what you expressly forbid. You don't speak about punishment or use it to threaten compliance. When it comes down it comes down hard, cold, fair, and swift. Small unit non-administrative punishment should be on-the-spot corrections to reaffirm the team and the soldiers place in it.

Use peoples name. Do not use demeaning nicknames.

Don't use vulgarity.

If while you are talking, others begin to interrupt or get loud. Stop talking. Pause your brief and speech and wait patiently and calmly for silence. When you have their attention again then you continue.

Well there is more but hope this helps.
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2015 4:24:01 PM

You know how you usually play mafia? Play like the opposite of that. ;-p