Jump to topic:

Working out gym or no gym?

Defro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2015 2:05:40 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
My friends keep pestering me to go work out at the gym with them.
But I'm too lazy to leave the house.
I work out at home. I do situps, pushups, lift weights, run around the neighborhood.
That's sufficient right?
I know that the gym has all these fancy machines that I can use, but they aren't neccessary for me to get ripped as long as I workout at home right?

Seriously, are gyms really effective and how?
Sharku
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2015 2:19:59 PM
Depends, does working out with a group motivate you? If it does, gyms are great because there's a sense of camaraderie. You can motivate and encourage each other. It's also harder to fall off the wagon when you have people helping you stay accountable.

If you like being alone or feel self conscious working out in front of other people, working out at home is fine.

Depends on your style really.
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2015 4:33:39 PM
At 7/2/2015 2:05:40 PM, Defro wrote:
I work out at home. I do situps, pushups, lift weights, run around the neighborhood.
That's sufficient right?
I know that the gym has all these fancy machines that I can use, but they aren't neccessary for me to get ripped as long as I workout at home right?

Well, if you do those exercies you mentioned with any sort of regularity, and at at least a moderate level of intensity, I suppose your non-Gym routine is sufficient.

Add these non-gym exercises to your repertoire: Burpees (nuthin' like 'em, man!); pull-ups; squat thrusts (No! Not with your girlfriend. LOL); and also lunges. If you have some dumbbells use those when you do the lunges. Light ones: like maybe 10 lbs.

Do your cardio (running) at least three times a week, for 30-45 minutes. Make sure you get your HR up to the target rate (THR) which should be about 70% of your max HR.

(To figure your Max HR take the number 220; subtract your age, and then take 70% of THAT number. This is the HR you should attain for 45 mins., and for three-four times a week so as to reap optimum cardio benefits.)
Science Flies Us to the Moon. Religion Flies us Into Skyscrapers.
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2015 6:33:12 PM
That's sufficient right?

It is sufficent if you only see improvement. How much can you do and in what time period. The only time a gym is sufficent is if you're on a program to push yourself and target certain areas. If you just go to lift you're not going to get anywhere.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2015 8:14:03 PM
That's sufficient right?

I might have a weird outlook on this, but I've always preferred to workout at the gym. Albeit, I workout solo at the gym. The reason I prefer the gym even though I workout solo is because the fine girls motivate me to push my hardest. Seriously, if I'm at home I might do my sets with a safe weight, but at the gym I'm pushing myself to the extreme because I'm trying to look cut up like a Greek god in front of these ladies.

So, for me, working out at the gym adds a whole other level of motivation for my workouts. I literally see better results after a month at the gym vs. a month in my garage.
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2015 8:54:11 PM
That's sufficient right?

If "ripped" is your goal, probably not. Just a bunch of cardio, good diet and whatever your doing now, seems good. I work out when I can and should probably do something to be more consistent at it, so while people are answering your question, hopefully some advice about consistency would be nice.
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2015 9:16:36 PM
That's sufficient right?

I run three miles every day (unless I can't due to time constraints) and do pullups/bench press, on top of ice hockey (I'm currently not playing right now, though, because the season's been over for a while).

In other words, no, I don't go to the gym, and I don't see how there's an improvement from a personal workout to a gym workout.

By the way, you might want to do something else than sit-ups. I was able to do over 200 at a time before I realized that they're ineffective as hell. FML
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2015 9:35:02 PM
At 7/2/2015 9:16:36 PM, RevNge wrote:
That's sufficient right?

I run three miles every day (unless I can't due to time constraints) and do pullups/bench press, on top of ice hockey (I'm currently not playing right now, though, because the season's been over for a while).

In other words, no, I don't go to the gym, and I don't see how there's an improvement from a personal workout to a gym workout.

By the way, you might want to do something else than sit-ups. I was able to do over 200 at a time before I realized that they're ineffective as hell. FML

I like decline crunches with a 10lb weight ball held right behind my head. That's a good one if you have a bench that allows for decline positions and either a dumbbell or weight ball.
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2015 9:42:53 PM
At 7/2/2015 9:35:02 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
That's sufficient right?

I like decline crunches with a 10lb weight ball held right behind my head. That's a good one if you have a bench that allows for decline positions and either a dumbbell or weight ball.

Sadly, I don't have any weight balls. Do those help for the abdomen?
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2015 10:21:23 PM
That's sufficient right?

You would be better off holding that weight on your chest. It is much easier on the neck and shoulders that way, and just as efficient in tightening those core muscles.
Defro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/3/2015 1:03:41 AM

I do different variations of crunches, which are much more effective than sit-ups because a huge part of sit-ups is just using momentum to get up instead of using your abs. You can't use momentum to get up when you do crunches.
Defro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/3/2015 1:05:31 AM

I also usually hold a 10 kg weight while I do sit-ups, which I think is pretty effective because it reduces momentum.
Defro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/3/2015 1:09:30 AM
At 7/2/2015 8:54:11 PM, Wylted wrote:
That's sufficient right?

If "ripped" is your goal, probably not. Just a bunch of cardio, good diet and whatever your doing now, seems good. I work out when I can and should probably do something to be more consistent at it, so while people are answering your question, hopefully some advice about consistency would be nice.

I guess the only way to be more consistent is good time management and being able to make time available for you to work out. I'm on break right now, so I have a lot of time, which is why I work out everyday now, but during the school year, sometimes I go weeks without working out.
Defro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/3/2015 1:10:13 AM
At 7/2/2015 8:54:11 PM, Wylted wrote:
That's sufficient right?

I guess the only way to be more consistent is good time management and being able to make time available. I'm on break right now, so I have a lot of time, which is why I work out everyday now, but during the school year, sometimes I go weeks without working out.
Defro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/3/2015 1:25:11 AM
Ok so I just gave the gym a shot, and I can see why people prefer going to the gym rather than working out in the comfort of your home.

1. My city is very polluted and I think it affects my breathing when I run outdoors. I've noticed a huge difference in my breathing when I tried the treadmill indoors. It was much easier for me to breathe.

2. The atmosphere of the gym just really gets you feeling the hype.

3. The "fancy machines" I mentioned earlier are very useful. They have machines that work muscles that I wouldn't be able to work at home.

4. There's a punching bag for me to practice Muay Thai on.

5. Blade-of-Truth mentioned this. There are some pretty hot girls at the gym holy sh*t. There are also some pretty hot ladyboys, which is rare because ladyboys in Northern Thailand are usually ugly af. There are also really ripped guys. Just seeing all this motivates me to get ripped.

So yeah I think I'll be going to the gym everyday now, it only costs 60 baht (less than $2) each time.

But I have another question:

If one were to smoke, should one do it before or after one works out? Does it even matter? I looked it up but all I got were people saying that one shouldn't smoke because it's bad for oneself.

I have a friend who smokes before he works out because he thinks it would improve his work out. He claims that smoking inhibits his lungs, making it harder for him when he works out, therefore working him out harder than normal, kind of like running with weights on your legs.
Defro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/3/2015 1:26:23 AM
At 7/2/2015 9:42:53 PM, RevNge wrote:

Significantly.
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/3/2015 8:27:43 AM
At 7/3/2015 1:05:31 AM, Defro wrote:

I also usually hold a 10 kg weight while I do sit-ups, which I think is pretty effective because it reduces momentum.

Hm, I might actually try that. Do you hold it behind your head?
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/3/2015 8:29:20 AM
At 7/3/2015 1:26:23 AM, Defro wrote:

Significantly.

Goddamn it. *jumps off a cliff*
Defro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/3/2015 10:38:47 AM
At 7/3/2015 8:27:43 AM, RevNge wrote:

No. I hold it on my chest.
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/3/2015 10:44:55 AM
At 7/3/2015 10:38:47 AM, Defro wrote:

Mmh. I don't weigh all that much to begin with, so I might not be able to do many with 22 pounds, lol.
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/3/2015 4:43:36 PM
That's sufficient right?

Oh yeah, decline crunches are excellent for the abdomen. You don't necessarily need a weight ball, if you have some dumbbells sitting around then those can get the job done just as well. If you're an ectomorph like myself, abs are incredibly hard to define because they can take so much.
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/3/2015 4:44:46 PM
At 7/2/2015 10:21:23 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
That's sufficient right?

You would be better off holding that weight on your chest. It is much easier on the neck and shoulders that way, and just as efficient in tightening those core muscles.

I used to hold it on my chest, but I feel like it's a much better workout and certainly more challenging when I hold it behind my head.
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/3/2015 6:36:57 PM
At 7/3/2015 4:43:36 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
That's sufficient right?

Oh yeah, decline crunches are excellent for the abdomen. You don't necessarily need a weight ball, if you have some dumbbells sitting around then those can get the job done just as well. If you're an ectomorph like myself, abs are incredibly hard to define because they can take so much.

After Googling it, I am, so I guess I'll try some reps. And yes, I agree; I don't have a belly and there are some very slight lines, but it's nowhere near a six-pack (and this was after).
Defro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/3/2015 9:07:36 PM
At 7/3/2015 10:44:55 AM, RevNge wrote:

Mmh. I don't weigh all that much to begin with, so I might not be able to do many with 22 pounds, lol.

Use lighter weights
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/3/2015 10:20:18 PM
At 7/3/2015 9:07:36 PM, Defro wrote:

Use lighter weights

I tried using 15 lb today with sit-ups. I couldn't even do forty in a minute, lol.
Defro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2015 3:28:39 AM
At 7/3/2015 10:20:18 PM, RevNge wrote:
At 7/3/2015 9:07:36 PM, Defro wrote:

Use lighter weights

I tried using 15 lb today with sit-ups. I couldn't even do forty in a minute, lol.

yeah it's pretty hard haha
j50wells
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2015 11:48:48 AM
Working out at home is the way I have always done it. It works great too. The only reason to go to the gym is if you want to become a body sculptor. For instance, if you are really into body building then you'd need to do four different kinds of exercises just for you pecks. You'd need incline and decline presses, as well as flat presses and cable pulls.
Home workouts are perfect if you just want to keep in shape and build a little muscle. My home workout involved two dumbbells and that's it. With these I can do biceps, triceps, pecks, shoulders, and then sit ups. For my legs I go trail running up in the mountains three days a week. Those trails will build some big leg muscles, no weights needed.
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2015 9:52:40 PM
At 7/3/2015 1:25:11 AM, Defro wrote:
Ok so I just gave the gym a shot, and I can see why people prefer going to the gym rather than working out in the comfort of your home.

1. My city is very polluted and I think it affects my breathing when I run outdoors. I've noticed a huge difference in my breathing when I tried the treadmill indoors. It was much easier for me to breathe.

2. The atmosphere of the gym just really gets you feeling the hype.

3. The "fancy machines" I mentioned earlier are very useful. They have machines that work muscles that I wouldn't be able to work at home.

4. There's a punching bag for me to practice Muay Thai on.

5. Blade-of-Truth mentioned this. There are some pretty hot girls at the gym holy sh*t. There are also some pretty hot ladyboys, which is rare because ladyboys in Northern Thailand are usually ugly af. There are also really ripped guys. Just seeing all this motivates me to get ripped.

So yeah I think I'll be going to the gym everyday now, it only costs 60 baht (less than $2) each time.

But I have another question:

If one were to smoke, should one do it before or after one works out? Does it even matter? I looked it up but all I got were people saying that one shouldn't smoke because it's bad for oneself.

I have a friend who smokes before he works out because he thinks it would improve his work out. He claims that smoking inhibits his lungs, making it harder for him when he works out, therefore working him out harder than normal, kind of like running with weights on your legs.

No man, Definitely wait until AFTER your workout to burn one.

While the nicotine can act as a stimulant, increasing your heart rate, it also constricts blood vessels, which are of course very useful (duh!) in providing your muscles with oxygenated-blood during physical exercise.

And on those days you do cardio--like maybe the treadmill of the bike--you surely don't want any residual smoke or tar in your lungs.

Also, you will fin that a cigarettes is much more enjoyable afterwards rather than before. For a regular smoker, after an hour so if heavy breathing and exertion, the body begins to slowly eliminate some of that nicotine from your body, So you crave it all the more. You'll see? About 10-20 mins. after you finish your workout you will be really wanting that smoke! LOL
Defro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2015 1:21:32 AM
At 7/4/2015 9:52:40 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:

No man, Definitely wait until AFTER your workout to burn one.

While the nicotine can act as a stimulant, increasing your heart rate, it also constricts blood vessels, which are of course very useful (duh!) in providing your muscles with oxygenated-blood during physical exercise.

And on those days you do cardio--like maybe the treadmill of the bike--you surely don't want any residual smoke or tar in your lungs.

Also, you will fin that a cigarettes is much more enjoyable afterwards rather than before. For a regular smoker, after an hour so if heavy breathing and exertion, the body begins to slowly eliminate some of that nicotine from your body, So you crave it all the more. You'll see? About 10-20 mins. after you finish your workout you will be really wanting that smoke! LOL

Thank you so much!
intellectuallyprimitive
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2015 10:08:46 PM
That's sufficient right?

This depends on a few factors and questions:

What equipment or apparatuses does the facility possess, that you do not have access to other than to purchase it yourself?
Do you have reliable transportation to this facility?
Does this facility offer sensible rates that are affordable according to your budget?
Am I capable of attending this facility within operation hours?
What are my goals with fitness? Do I want to become stronger, gain muscular endurance, strength, power, and stamina?
Am I willing to commute to this facility as often as desired?
If I commit to this facility, will I ensure that I maintain frequent utilization of this facility?
Does this facility provide personal consultation (personal trainers) in regards to fitness?

I'm going to avoid developing this post into an endless onslaught of information, and end it here. I am a certified personal trainer if you interested in any subject matter relating to health and fitness, specifically strength and resistance training.