Jump to topic:

I have a problem

1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2015 11:49:33 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
So I am playing football for my freshman year of high school, and so far I've already missed most practices due to having to be cleared by a doctor because I have scoliosis. I have curves in two parts of the spine - one by the neck and one in the lower back. Today I went to practice, and I've now had sharp pains in my neck since halfway through practice, and touching the spine at the neck is considerably painful.

So should I just not play? Also note that this pain came from limited contact as I had not yet been given pads or a helmet.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
Lee001
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2015 12:00:13 AM
At 7/8/2015 11:49:33 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
So I am playing football for my freshman year of high school, and so far I've already missed most practices due to having to be cleared by a doctor because I have scoliosis. I have curves in two parts of the spine - one by the neck and one in the lower back. Today I went to practice, and I've now had sharp pains in my neck since halfway through practice, and touching the spine at the neck is considerably painful.

So should I just not play? Also note that this pain came from limited contact as I had not yet been given pads or a helmet.

I defineatly would take a break. You need to give your body a rest & not continue to put it through extensive physical actions. Football is a very tough sport. I wouldn't do it..
"Condoms are societal constructs created by the government to restrain 'Murican freedom!"-SolonKR

"But I jest and digress (sick rhymes, yo); every boob is equal in the eyes of the Lord."- SolonKR

"Oh Hey, Seeing Artichokes Makes Me Want to Have Sex."- SolonKR

"Yep, but anyone who touches my hair immediately ascends to the heavens..You're already an angel, so touching my hair can do nothing <3" -SolonKR

My hubby Hayd <3 <3
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2015 10:13:35 AM

I would also advise a break. I have an idea of how hard it is to be prevented in doing stuff you want because of your health because I have diabetes. But your health comes first, and if you're getting pain like that, I recommend you try to at least find a solution. If you haven't already, talk to your coach and ask them for advice, or ask another adult familiar with your condition.
You cannot choose whether or not you will live by rules, but you can choose which rules you will live by. --Me

"I was wrong. Squirrels are objectively superior to bunnies in every conceivable dimension."
--Joey

"Silence is golden, duct tape is silver" --PetersSmith

Nunc aut Numquam
differentveiw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2015 4:05:45 PM

I also have scoliosis and have continued to play sports. If possible, you might want to try schroth physical therapy. It's been proven to reduce back pain and also can decrease your curves. If you really like football, I would continue to play, but make sure you're not hurting yourself. At the end of the day, it's your choice. Do what you feel is right.
- Ag
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2015 4:18:17 PM

Play through it bro. Man up.
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2015 4:18:35 PM
At 7/9/2015 4:18:17 PM, Wylted wrote:

Play through it bro. Man up.

lol
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2015 4:21:01 PM
When you play sports, at least as hard as I did, you feel intense pain every single day. It's good for you. I quit playing because of bad grades, not because of pain.
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2015 4:35:26 PM
Maybe I should also note that there's a cyst growing on my spine at the curve in my neck and that alone may or may not require surgery in the relatively near future, let alone the curves themselves.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2015 4:42:30 PM
At 7/9/2015 4:35:26 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
Maybe I should also note that there's a cyst growing on my spine at the curve in my neck and that alone may or may not require surgery in the relatively near future, let alone the curves themselves.

Don't do what Wylted does, btw. I did and I got banned, remember? LOL
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2015 4:46:13 PM
At 7/9/2015 4:42:30 PM, RevNge wrote:

I'm good at sports, I'll box anybody 16 or younger on this site to prove it too just get some waivers signed by your parents
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2015 4:46:54 PM
At 7/9/2015 4:46:13 PM, Wylted wrote:

I'm good at sports, I'll box anybody 16 or younger on this site to prove it too just get some waivers signed by your parents

You're fvcking 32.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2015 4:48:08 PM
At 7/9/2015 4:46:54 PM, RevNge wrote:

You're fvcking 32.

I'm aware of this, fine I'll box anybody over 16 who is a female or is jewish also on this site. Better?
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2015 4:48:31 PM
At 7/9/2015 4:48:08 PM, Wylted wrote:
At 7/9/2015 4:46:54 PM, RevNge wrote:

You're fvcking 32.

I'm aware of this, fine I'll box anybody over 16 who is a female or is jewish also on this site. Better?

LOL
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2015 4:50:53 PM
I think we've established my advice is good, now proceed with reckless abandon to your goals in highschool football.
Hayd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2015 5:08:18 PM

Dont play, heal then play.
Lee001
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2015 5:50:26 PM

I could soooo kick your a**.
"Condoms are societal constructs created by the government to restrain 'Murican freedom!"-SolonKR

"But I jest and digress (sick rhymes, yo); every boob is equal in the eyes of the Lord."- SolonKR

"Yep, but anyone who touches my hair immediately ascends to the heavens..You're already an angel, so touching my hair can do nothing <3" -SolonKR

My hubby Hayd <3 <3
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2015 5:52:08 PM
At 7/9/2015 5:50:26 PM, Lee001 wrote:

I beat up girls all the time, I'm quite experienced.
Lee001
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2015 5:52:54 PM
At 7/9/2015 5:52:08 PM, Wylted wrote:

Lol...

I'd like to see that.

My hubby Hayd <3 <3
VietTurtle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2015 12:24:09 AM

You arent suppose to squat with out a gear... U only suppose to like stretch n work out.. U not supposed to do contact of any kind with out a gear... YOur Coachs are stupid if they let u play with out gear . Our schools u dont get gear for your first week so u get used to doing stuff n make sure u dont quit
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2015 12:35:16 AM

Don't continue to play. Join the debate-team instead. Seriously.

I played football my freshman and sophomore year and it led to what? Cheerleader pvssy. There's literally no other benefits it provides in terms of your own life development, and in your case I know that the benefits that attracted me aren't the same for you. Find a sport or hobby that you can actually flourish in without causing yourself unnecessary body pain. There's plentyyyyy of options.

Especially if this pain stems from just limited contact. Full contact football is rough, at-least in my south florida league it was. Hood niggas standing 6'5" slamming into you will f*ck you up over time.
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
SamStevens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2015 1:14:04 AM

The fact that your doctor cleared you from attending practice is a good indication that you may want to stay away from physical contact sports such as foot ball. Your neck pain seems serious and you may further injure yourself by participating.

"In general, sports or activities that jar[a physical shock or jolt] the spine, such as long distance running, is not recommended."
http://scoliosis3dc.com...

"The fact that back pain is more frequent in scoliosis patients, competing in strenuous sports at a high level can be difficult for the patient. In older athletes, early development of osteoarthritis in the spine may hamper sports participation. Patients with severe scoliosis, leading to impaired pulmonary function, may be restricted in strenuous exercise."
http://www.fims.org...

"The authors found that scoliosis patients experienced more impairment to their sporting activities in the long term than did age-matched controls."
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

Additional information:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

http://www.niams.nih.gov...

http://www.southpointechiropractic.com...
"This is the true horror of religion. It allows perfectly decent and sane people to believe by the billions, what only lunatics could believe on their own." Sam Harris
Life asked Death "Why do people love me but hate you?"
Death responded: "Because you are a beautiful lie, and I am the painful truth."
SamStevens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2015 1:19:39 AM
At 7/9/2015 5:52:54 PM, Lee001 wrote:

Lol...

I'd like to see that.

Do you have any fighting experience?
"This is the true horror of religion. It allows perfectly decent and sane people to believe by the billions, what only lunatics could believe on their own." Sam Harris
Lee001
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2015 1:23:12 AM
At 7/10/2015 1:19:39 AM, SamStevens wrote:

Lol...

I'd like to see that.

I have my blue belt in Karazenpoe karate. Had to quit due to college.

My hubby Hayd <3 <3
SamStevens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2015 1:26:34 AM
At 7/10/2015 1:23:12 AM, Lee001 wrote:

Lol...

I'd like to see that.

I have my blue belt in Karazenpoe karate. Had to quit due to college.

So you feel confident in opening a can of whop as*s on a 32 year old man?
SamStevens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2015 1:43:44 AM
At 7/10/2015 1:23:12 AM, Lee001 wrote:

Lol...

I'd like to see that.

Had to quit due to college.

That's unfortunate.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2015 1:59:25 AM
At 7/10/2015 12:35:16 AM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:

I played football my freshman and sophomore year and it led to what? Cheerleader pvssy. There's literally no other benefits it provides in terms of your own life development, and in your case I know that the benefits that attracted me aren't the same for you. Find a sport or hobby that you can actually flourish in without causing yourself unnecessary body pain. There's plentyyyyy of options.

Especially if this pain stems from just limited contact. Full contact football is rough, at-least in my south florida league it was. Hood niggas standing 6'5" slamming into you will f*ck you up over time.

Every other player in pahokee and bell glades, makes an NFL roster. I doubt he's facing the same level of competition.
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2015 2:25:20 AM

Don't play. If you're having severe pain from limited/no contact, once you get your pads and gear and start actually hitting each other you're going to be in for a world of hurt.

You should also probably take the hint from your doctor. If he's not clearing you to practice, there's probably a reason behind that. Risking your spine over highschool football just isn't worth it.
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2015 2:36:11 AM
At 7/10/2015 1:59:25 AM, Wylted wrote:
At 7/10/2015 12:35:16 AM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:

Every other player in pahokee and bell glades makes an NFL roster. I doubt he's facing the same level of competition.

I'm surprised you know about it. But yeah, these sugar-cain towns (literally, that's what surrounds these towns, sugarcains) are all about it because it's the only escape they have. Highschool football was no joke, and if it wasn't for the fact that I was a 2nd string free safety I prob wouldn't have even lasted that 2nd year.

We were the state champs in 2008, my senior year, and one of the two schools that beat us was Bell Glade. http://www.maxpreps.com...-(palm-beach-gardens,fl)/football-fall-08/schedule.htm
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2015 2:37:01 AM
At 7/10/2015 2:25:20 AM, Zaradi wrote:

Don't play. If you're having severe pain from limited/no contact, once you get your pads and gear and start actually hitting each other you're going to be in for a world of hurt.

You should also probably take the hint from your doctor. If he's not clearing you to practice, there's probably a reason behind that. Risking your spine over highschool football just isn't worth it.

He cleared me for sports. I missed most of the first few weeks because I needed to be cleared first.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2015 3:38:45 AM
Real talk, if you aren't planning on playing in the NFL, there is no long-term gains that you can find in football that you couldn't find elsewhere. You can find a sense of team collaboration in any number of sports, including ones that utilize your mental abilities rather than physical ones. You can win awards and prestige in a multitude of things other than football.

The reason I stopped playing football was because I got a neck injury that popped two discs out of place. I had to go to physical therapy for 6 months including electrical muscle stimulation. It was after that when I joined the debate team and took up surfing. I'm sure you'll find other outlets that would provide the same rewards.

Unless you're doing it for the sake of your family, in which case, that's a much bigger demon to battle - if so, pm me if you'd like.