Jump to topic:

Plagiarism?

tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2015 11:02:04 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
In a recent debate of mine, lannan13 accused me of plagiarism via. the plagiarism checker. I found via. the plagiarism checker that his own argument was non-unique, but obviously his argument was unique since I found it no where else -- the plagiarism checker is nonsense.

Now, I have a question to all DDO users. Do you honestly think I, as a person, am capable of plagiarism? Why would I plagiarize? Am I *that* abysmal a debater and misconducted a person? I want people's honest opinion, since I was genuinely hurt by the accusation.
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
Sharku
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2015 11:29:28 PM
Depends. Source?

Some arguments are non-unique simply because they've been done ad nauseam, for instance, there are exactly zero new arguments about abortion since about 2004 when forums started getting popular.

If you know you didn't plagiarize, why care what some guy on the internet thinks? It's not like anything done on this site is going to affect your life more than just making you feel a bit frustrated for a bit.
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2015 11:42:26 PM
At 7/10/2015 11:29:28 PM, Sharku wrote:
Depends. Source?

Some arguments are non-unique simply because they've been done ad nauseam, for instance, there are exactly zero new arguments about abortion since about 2004 when forums started getting popular.

If you know you didn't plagiarize, why care what some guy on the internet thinks? It's not like anything done on this site is going to affect your life more than just making you feel a bit frustrated for a bit.

I know I didn't plagiarize.
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
Sharku
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2015 12:04:24 AM
At 7/10/2015 11:42:26 PM, tejretics wrote:
Depends. Source?

Then don't worry about it. ;)

We're just people on the internet. Don't put too much stock into what anyone here says.
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2015 12:33:50 AM
At 7/11/2015 12:04:24 AM, Sharku wrote:
At 7/10/2015 11:42:26 PM, tejretics wrote:
Depends. Source?

Then don't worry about it. ;)

It was on a debate which I might have lost because of his accusation, though I managed to refute his claim.

We're just people on the internet. Don't put too much stock into what anyone here says.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2015 1:39:32 AM
At 7/10/2015 11:02:04 PM, tejretics wrote:
In a recent debate of mine, lannan13 accused me of plagiarism via. the plagiarism checker. I found via. the plagiarism checker that his own argument was non-unique, but obviously his argument was unique since I found it no where else -- the plagiarism checker is nonsense.

Now, I have a question to all DDO users. Do you honestly think I, as a person, am capable of plagiarism? Why would I plagiarize? Am I *that* abysmal a debater and misconducted a person? I want people's honest opinion, since I was genuinely hurt by the accusation.

If somebody accuses you of plagiarism, they need to directly point to where you plagiarized from, otherwise it's just a rude and unfounded accusation.
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2015 3:21:28 PM

No, it's the soul fact that you created a multi. I knew it was you. The soul fact that you did something of this reguards is ban worthy. I personally thought you were working with the noob, not the noob itself.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2015 3:22:29 PM
I also love how you drug this issue out here. Oh the mad disrespect you've shown me here.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2015 3:37:10 PM
At 7/11/2015 1:39:32 AM, Wylted wrote:

If somebody accuses you of plagiarism, they need to directly point to where you plagiarized from, otherwise it's just a rude and unfounded accusation.

You plagiarized that sentence.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2015 5:23:50 PM
At 7/11/2015 3:37:10 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 7/11/2015 1:39:32 AM, Wylted wrote:

You plagiarized that sentence.

I didn't think anyone would notice.
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2015 5:40:03 PM

Well, I only know you from here, from your posts, that is. But I would have to answer your OP question with, "Sure you are. Most people are at least capable of committing plagiarism. Either intentionally or un-intentionally. Sometimes the words of somebody else are ingrained in your memory, and so when you yourself go to write about that subject, you unconsciously refer back to those original sources, in the mistaken belief they are your own.

Now, a case of verbatim plagiarism would seem to rule out this possibility, and pretty much indicate that the plagiarism was intentional. I do not know how close your words were to the source you were accused of plagiarizing, however. SO I can offer no further advice or opinion on your specific incident.
Science Flies Us to the Moon. Religion Flies us Into Skyscrapers.
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2015 11:29:50 PM
At 7/11/2015 3:21:28 PM, lannan13 wrote:

No, it's the soul fact that you created a multi. I knew it was you. The soul fact that you did something of this reguards is ban worthy. I personally thought you were working with the noob, not the noob itself.

No, it isn't. I *deactivated* this account while on that.
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2015 11:30:33 PM
At 7/11/2015 3:22:29 PM, lannan13 wrote:
I also love how you drug this issue out here. Oh the mad disrespect you've shown me here.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean any disrespect. I wanted to know if people thought I were capable of plagiarism. I wasn't accusing you of anything.