Jump to topic:

I am a chronic insomniac

1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2015 6:21:53 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
It is past 7 AM, and I don't feel relatively tired - and people in my family are eating breakfast before I've fallen asleep. This has been going on for countless months (over a year) - and I even made a thread about being an insomnia 8 or 9 months ago. It almost gets to a point of utter ridiculousness - when I would sleep for as little as 30 minutes to about 3 hours on days I was going to school. Now in the summer, I don't remember the last time I fell asleep before 6:00 AM. I usually wake up between 8:00 and 11:00 AM, depending on when exactly I finally fall asleep.

I don't know if I can even use help from people at this point. It doesn't hurt, however, to get advice. And so, I've made this thread - in hopes that I finally find something that can improve my sleep.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
XLAV
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2015 11:19:04 AM
No wonder you're always cranky.

I suggest you excercise/workout until you tire your body out. That way, not only will you get girls to like your new sexy abs and muscles, but you will also fall asleep earlier than you're usual time.
Sharku
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2015 11:44:06 AM
At 7/11/2015 11:19:04 AM, XLAV wrote:

I suggest you excercise/workout until you tire your body out. That way, not only will you get girls to like your new sexy abs and muscles, but you will also fall asleep earlier than you're usual time.

I have mild insomnia. I also have a baby. The two are probably interlinked somehow...

Exercise in the afternoon if your intention is to wear yourself out. I exercise at night and it wakes me up for a few more hours.

My problem isn't my body, my body is exhausted. My brain won't slow down and stop going a mile a minute. I have no solution for this that doesn't involve sleep medication.
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2015 12:21:26 PM
At 7/11/2015 7:18:07 AM, Mirza wrote:
Do you feel more motivated and energetic during evening and night?

More energetic: yes, but not necessarily motivated.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
Jacob151
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2015 2:03:29 PM
I am sorry to hear that.

There are many things you can do to improve sleep hygiene.
1. Exercise daily.
2. Don't eat close to bedtime.
3. Don't use the computer close to bedtime.
4. Go to bed and get up the same time every day.

Try these for a week and see how you feel. If they don't work, you can always try medication.
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2015 2:07:56 PM

<3

I suggest you excercise/workout until you tire your body out. That way, not only will you get girls to like your new sexy abs and muscles,

(I am gay)

but you will also fall asleep earlier than you're usual time.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
XLAV
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2015 2:08:25 PM
At 7/11/2015 2:07:56 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

<3

I suggest you excercise/workout until you tire your body out. That way, not only will you get girls to like your new sexy abs and muscles,

(I am gay)
Then guys, lol.
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2015 2:09:43 PM
At 7/11/2015 2:08:25 PM, XLAV wrote:
At 7/11/2015 2:07:56 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

<3

(I am gay)
Then guys, lol.

I'm not too concerned about "sexy abs and muscles" anyway. That sort of thing doesn't motivate me.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2015 5:35:22 PM
At 7/11/2015 6:21:53 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
It is past 7 AM, and I don't feel relatively tired - and people in my family are eating breakfast before I've fallen asleep. This has been going on for countless months (over a year) - and I even made a thread about being an insomnia 8 or 9 months ago. It almost gets to a point of utter ridiculousness - when I would sleep for as little as 30 minutes to about 3 hours on days I was going to school. Now in the summer, I don't remember the last time I fell asleep before 6:00 AM. I usually wake up between 8:00 and 11:00 AM, depending on when exactly I finally fall asleep.

I don't know if I can even use help from people at this point. It doesn't hurt, however, to get advice. And so, I've made this thread - in hopes that I finally find something that can improve my sleep.

How is your diet? Caffeine intake? Do you smoke? Take any prescription meds?

What is your "pre-bedtime" ritual? That is, what are you usually doing in the evening hours, about 1-3 hours before you would like to be going to bed?

Let me know, I have dealt with this issue before, both personally and in my work, perhaps I can be of some assistance.
Science Flies Us to the Moon. Religion Flies us Into Skyscrapers.
ironslippers
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2015 6:09:17 PM

Tyler Durden is that you?

Just Joking I'm empathetic to your plight I'm unable to add anything that hasn't already been shared on this thread
Everyone stands on their own dung hill and speaks out about someone else's - Nathan Krusemark
Its easier to criticize and hate than it is to support and create - I Ron Slippers
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2015 2:58:20 AM

I've just come to accept it. I mean, here it's 4 am and I've got to be at work in 6 hours. I've tried changing my diet, doing sleep-inducing stretches or meditation, and even herbal remedies. Nothing really works except prescribed medicine - but that always gave me ridiculous dreams, so I stopped that quickly after starting and have just come to accept insomnia as a part of my life. Hasn't really affected my health as some claim, still as active as ever both physically and socially.
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2015 2:59:35 AM

Oh, and working out does make it easier to fall asleep. I still won't fall asleep until 4 - 5, sometimes 6 -7 am, but at-least when my head hits the pillow I go right out vs. laying in bed for 2 hours thinking about anything and everything.
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
UndeniableReality
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2015 11:52:30 AM

Ever had any neurological assessments? Around 20% of insomniacs are nonrespondent to any of the common treatments, but do exhibit some typical neurophysiological features which can be used as targets in neurofeedback treatments.
Dennybug
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2015 12:18:37 PM

as someone who used to struggle with this a lot i can tell you what helped me but i think our circumstances are kinda different, just want you to know that you got bros who deal with this stuff too.

last year i'd always struggle to fall asleep and i'd be up every night till like 4-5 because my mind was really active and then the next morning i'd just have sporadic urges to nap throughout the day

usually id be thinking about stuff, and what finally helped me was getting regular exercise and eating proper meals and quit smoking. I found that it improved my social life and daily activity to the point where i'd have something to look forward to in the next day and i'd sleep like a baby

im usually in bed by 11 now and wake up at 7 ready to go and eat that breakfast :)

hope you can figure out whats keeping you up and change some sh!t up
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2015 7:14:11 PM
My advice:
1) Gets lots of physical exercise. Whether it be actual productive work or working out, find something that gets that heart beating. 20 min a day or more is ideal, but anything you can do to increase your heart-rate is going to pay tremendous dividends throughout your entire body. And of course it makes you exhausted and more ready to sleep.

2) Study. Just like your body, your brain needs to regenerate if you use it a lot. Mixing physical exercise with lots of learning really gives your body no choice but to sleep a lot.

3) Establish a healthy routine. If you are training your body to stay up late, well, your body is not going to want to pass out when it should. There's no such thing as a "night owl," there are only people who are increasingly undisciplined in getting to bed at a good early time. Once you get your body used to going to bed and waking up early, it becomes easier to hold the routine.

4) Don't eat a few hours before bed. Your brain needs blood to regenerate, and your stomach needs blood to digest. When you eat before bed you make your body choose which one to do because it can't do both very well simultaneously.

5) Establish a healthy sleeping environment. This is a general tip; there are all types of things that can make sleeping harder than it needs to be and that interference should be minimized. Loud roommates, stress, uncomfortable sleeping quarters... I used to sleep in a trailer when I worked at camp and the heater would kick on loudly at certain times during the night, which was knocking me out of R.E.M. sleep and causing me certain problems. If you find yourself dwelling on certain issues and unable to go to sleep because of worrying, then you need to deal with these issues and get them off your mind!
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
JohnDenning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2015 7:10:40 AM

http://www.telegraph.co.uk...

This is a link to the 478 breathing technique to induce sleep. I'd all but given up, until I discovered this. It worked for me. Give it a go :)

JD
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2015 8:54:59 AM
I've been awake for about 45 hours. I think the only thing for me at this point is melatonin supplements...meh.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2015 9:06:43 AM
At 8/4/2015 8:54:59 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
I've been awake for about 45 hours. I think the only thing for me at this point is melatonin supplements...meh.

Melatonin regulates sleep cycle, not puts you to sleep. I take them to regulate my sleep cycle on occasion, because I work overnight. Try valerian root.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2015 9:07:59 AM
Also, avoid all screens when trying to go to bed. Cut off the television, get away from all electronic devices. Electronic devices are like the number one cause of insomnia.
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2015 9:10:25 AM
At 8/4/2015 9:07:59 AM, Wylted wrote:
Also, avoid all screens when trying to go to bed. Cut off the television, get away from all electronic devices. Electronic devices are like the number one cause of insomnia.

Electronic devices are what I turn to when I can't sleep.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2015 9:11:34 AM
At 8/4/2015 9:10:25 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

Have you tried going to a sleep doctor? They actually exist, and can help.
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2015 9:15:09 AM
At 8/4/2015 9:11:34 AM, Wylted wrote:
At 8/4/2015 9:10:25 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

Have you tried going to a sleep doctor? They actually exist, and can help.

Meh. I don't really feel like going to a doctor when the answers aren't that hard to see.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2015 12:57:52 PM

your circadian rhythm is jacked up. You might try meletonin, which is a simple over the counter supplement which is responsible to create sleepiness when gets dark. I know my system works OK. I sometimes for work do overnights after working all day I hit 3 am and am dead. As soon as the sun starts getting up and the body stops producing meletonin, I catch a second wind and ready to rock and roll.

http://my.clevelandclinic.org...