Jump to topic:

What books are you currently reading?

UtherPenguin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2015 12:21:58 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Just got Warbreaker by Brandon Sanderson, and like 99% of his books, I'm already addicted. I swear, the moment I finish that book I might be facing some "Cosmere Withdrawal symptoms"
"Praise Allah."
~YYW
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2015 1:02:58 PM
Symphony - Ou-fan Lee
Modern Linguistics: Morphology
Chomsky: A Guide for the Perplexed

Mostly that.
The thing is, I hate relativism. I hate relativism more than I hate everything else, excepting, maybe, fibreglass powerboats... What it overlooks, to put it briefly and crudely, is the fixed structure of human nature. - Jerry Fodor

Don't be a stat cynic:
http://www.debate.org...

Response to conservative views on deforestation:
http://www.debate.org...

Topics I'd like to debate (not debating ATM): http://tinyurl.com...
DollarStoreSushi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2015 8:03:16 PM
A Geography of Time - The Temporal Misadventures of a Social Psychologist, or How Every Culture Keeps Time Just a Little Bit Differently by Robert Levine
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2015 9:39:19 AM
At 7/12/2015 12:21:58 PM, UtherPenguin wrote:
Just got Warbreaker by Brandon Sanderson, and like 99% of his books, I'm already addicted. I swear, the moment I finish that book I might be facing some "Cosmere Withdrawal symptoms"

Capitalism and Freedom- Milton Friedman
Security Challenges on the Korean Pen.
The Blue Collar Conservative- Rick Santorum
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Surrealism
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2015 10:45:20 AM
Rereading the Foundation novels, now that I understand their historical symbolism.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2015 3:59:50 PM

"The Rise and Fall of the Bible--The Unexpected History of an Accidental Book"

By Timothy Beal
Science Flies Us to the Moon. Religion Flies us Into Skyscrapers.
SpitNow2015
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2015 6:41:49 PM
"The Third Circle Theory" by The Entourage

It's a great read for entrepreneurs or for anyone really. Helps you find your purpose in life and aids in creating a blueprint for yourself.

This article(How to Dominate Life) may also help: http://spitnow.com...
SpitNow.com
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2015 1:47:14 PM

The Philosophy of Jesus - Peter Kreeft
The Brothers Karamazov - Fyodor Dostoevsky
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2015 4:11:24 PM
At 7/16/2015 1:47:14 PM, Geogeer wrote:

You are trying to read TBK by Doestoevsky, eh?

Good luck with it! LOL. I have tried it twice, the last time being a couple years ago, when I made it about halfway through. I like Doestoyevsky, and really enjoyed "The Idiot" (my favorite) and of course "Crime and Punishment." But TBK was just too long and slow and hard-to-follow for me.

So I ended up taking the advice that an ex English Lit proff gave me--and others who have trouble with reading the entire book. And that is: I just read "the Letter from the Grand Inquisitor." He said that gives you all you really need from it; encapsulating FD's primary idea in the book.

I would not mind, in fact, doing a thread on the Inquisitor Letter--but I doubt more than maybe three or four DDO regulars have read it.

Let me know.
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2015 4:19:15 PM
At 7/16/2015 4:11:24 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:

Good luck with it! LOL. I have tried it twice, the last time being a couple years ago, when I made it about halfway through. I like Doestoyevsky, and really enjoyed "The Idiot" (my favorite) and of course "Crime and Punishment." But TBK was just too long and slow and hard-to-follow for me.

So I ended up taking the advice that an ex English Lit proff gave me--and others who have trouble with reading the entire book. And that is: I just read "the Letter from the Grand Inquisitor." He said that gives you all you really need from it; encapsulating FD's primary idea in the book.

I would not mind, in fact, doing a thread on the Inquisitor Letter--but I doubt more than maybe three or four DDO regulars have read it.

Let me know.

I'll let you know when I'm done. I haven't had a whole lotta reading time since we had kids... lol. It'll hopefully be by Christmas...
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2015 4:22:21 PM
At 7/16/2015 4:19:15 PM, Geogeer wrote:

Let me know.

I'll let you know when I'm done. I haven't had a whole lotta reading time since we had kids... lol. It'll hopefully be by Christmas...

OK.

Oh....BTW..hopefully you are reading the translation by David MDuff. Or at least by Pevear and Volokhonsky. I have found those guys to be the best FD English translators.
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2015 4:24:50 PM
At 7/16/2015 4:22:21 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:

Let me know.

OK.

Oh....BTW..hopefully you are reading the translation by David MDuff. Or at least by Pevear and Volokhonsky. I have found those guys to be the best FD English translators.

I asked for it as a gift, so I didn't specify the translation - t'would be a bit presumptuous.
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2015 4:25:44 PM
At 7/16/2015 4:24:50 PM, Geogeer wrote:
At 7/16/2015 4:22:21 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:

Let me know.

OK.

I asked for it as a gift, so I didn't specify the translation - t'would be a bit presumptuous.

Yeah...t'would indeed.
Midnight1131
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2015 4:46:14 PM

You've got to read the Way of Kings by Sanderson if you haven't already.
#GaryJohnson2016
#TaxationisTheft
#TheftisTaxation
August_Burns_Red
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2015 7:04:09 PM

The Cross-Examination of Jesus Christ....by Randy Singer
Tomorrow's forecast: God reigns and the Son shines!