Total Posts:10|Showing Posts:1-10
Jump to topic:

I am the jack of all trades, master of none.

Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2015 8:10:23 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
I think my resume means that I am unable to commit mentally to anything long term, and lose interest more rapidly than most people do. Let me know what you guys think:

Resume:
Taekwondo Blue Belt (one below a black belt), ~ 6 years commitment, stopped about 11 years ago
1-1 Record in Amateur boxing - junior middleweight, 2 years commitment, stopped 9 years ago
Rugby, 3 years commitment, stopped 12 years ago
Salsa, 3 years commitment, stopped 6 years ago
Chemical researcher, 7 years commitment, stopped earlier this year
Sabre fencer, 3 years commitment, top-100 UK ranking, stopped 5 years ago
Foil fencer, 2 years commitment, top-150 UK ranking, stopped 3 years ago
RTS Gaming (TA & AOE), 8 years commitment, top-10 & top-100, stopped 5 years ago
Squash, 2 years commitment, stopped 2 years ago
Badminton, 5 years commitment, sub-country level, ongoing
Online debating, 2 years commitment, average ability, ongoing
Equistrian, 1 year commitment, ongoing
Bouldering, few months, ongoing
Tour cycling, 5 years, occasional & ongoing

When I begin teaching full time I have a few more things I want to do. Often I do things and commit to them to achieve at least a decent club-level, but only rarely do I stick with something enough to be considered very good at it, even if I was progressing at the rate one would expect for such. Is this a bad thing?
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2015 8:37:10 AM
At 7/13/2015 8:10:23 AM, Envisage wrote:
I think my resume means that I am unable to commit mentally to anything long term, and lose interest more rapidly than most people do. Let me know what you guys think:

Resume:
Taekwondo Blue Belt (one below a black belt), ~ 6 years commitment, stopped about 11 years ago

Seriously? I thought brown and red were after blue and before black. I got to red before I had to move away (and I took up hockey then).
1-1 Record in Amateur boxing - junior middleweight, 2 years commitment, stopped 9 years ago
RTS Gaming (TA & AOE), 8 years commitment, top-10 & top-100, stopped 5 years ago

When I begin teaching full time I have a few more things I want to do. Often I do things and commit to them to achieve at least a decent club-level, but only rarely do I stick with something enough to be considered very good at it, even if I was progressing at the rate one would expect for such. Is this a bad thing?

Well, it might be nice to specialize in one thing, as it might not be so much of note if you're only somewhat decent at it, regardless of the number of talents you have.
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2015 9:12:21 AM
At 7/13/2015 8:37:10 AM, RevNge wrote:

Resume:

Seriously? I thought brown and red were after blue and before black. I got to red before I had to move away (and I took up hockey then).

It varies across schools. Some have red before black, others do not. I have been to three such schools and their grading systems were all very different. The only thing they agreed upon was that white is entree level and black was of mastery, lol.

Well, it might be nice to specialize in one thing, as it might not be so much of note if you're only somewhat decent at it, regardless of the number of talents you have.
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2015 9:41:22 AM
At 7/13/2015 9:12:21 AM, Envisage wrote:
At 7/13/2015 8:37:10 AM, RevNge wrote:

Resume:

It varies across schools. Some have red before black, others do not. I have been to three such schools and their grading systems were all very different. The only thing they agreed upon was that white is entree level and black was of mastery, lol.

I still remember when one of my friends from elementary school said that he had a "gold belt" in karate (it might have been taekwondo but he didn't know the difference), lol.
Emilrose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2015 10:03:34 AM
Shame on you for not having long-term fokus.
Commentator on a picture with David Cameron and a Cat: 'Amazing what you can achieve with photoshop these days. I'm sure that used to be a pig.'

Commentator on Hillary Clinton: 'If Clinton is now what passes for progressive, maybe this country deserves Trump.'

Commentator on British parliament: 'All that talent in one place, where is Ebola when you need it?'

John Kerry on words: 'These aren't just words, folks.'
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2015 11:17:54 AM

Resume:

I want to box you as revenge for your people drawing my people into two different world wars.
n7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2015 3:44:26 PM
Envisage is hereby known as "The Dabbler" he knows a little bit about everything.
404 coherent debate topic not found. Please restart the debate with clear resolution.

Uphold Marxist-Leninist-Maoist-Sargonist-n7ism.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2015 5:21:04 PM
I only see one trade, the rest are sports. I am a man of many Trades not so much sports though. But you do have sporting ability, tough to make a living at it and a short career at any of them.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
SNP1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2015 10:19:13 PM

Resume:

I was also one away from Black Belt before quitting. I quit for 2 reasons.
1) Injury. A rare thing where part of your elbow decays.
2) Didn't want it. It is much easier to get into legal trouble for fighting if you have a black belt.

Any papers you've written that might be an interesting read?

I took Kendo for a while once. I am more of a sword collector then a fighter though.

I do not think so. I have an extremely broad range of interests. I force myself to focus on a few at a time, but still make sure I dabble into my others.
#TheApatheticNihilistPartyofAmerica
#WarOnDDO
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2015 11:16:37 AM
I'm a jack of all trades and master of none too. Kinda depressing.
You cannot choose whether or not you will live by rules, but you can choose which rules you will live by. --Me

"I was wrong. Squirrels are objectively superior to bunnies in every conceivable dimension."
--Joey

"Silence is golden, duct tape is silver" --PetersSmith

Nunc aut Numquam