Jump to topic:

Near Death Experiences?

Defro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2015 5:08:53 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Anyone have any near death experiences? Share please!

My uncle once fell asleep while driving up and down a mountain and I was in the backseat. The car hit a telephone pole and I flew to the front of the car. My head hit something, I think it was either the windshield or the gear shift, and then I went unconscious.

Whatever I hit, I hit it hard. It dented my skull like a ping pong ball. Part of my head was literally caved in. It also destroyed one of my sinuses, so now I have one less sinus than everyone else. I stayed in the hospital for a month and got surgery on my skull. They popped the dent back up.

The thing is, had the car not hit the pole, it would have fell off a cliff and killed us.

The good thing was it was around the end of the semester, so I was exempt from taking final exams, which is awesome because I was worried I would fail some of them. I had to do individual projects instead, and it saved my grades.

I also have a really cool scar that runs from one ear over my head to the other ear, because the surgeon had to pull the skin on my forehead down so he could pop my dent back up.

The bad thing was that for half a year after that, it was really hard for me to concentrate at school. I'd find myself randomly daydreaming during a lecture even though I intended to focus.

I also have really bad sense of smell because one of my sinuses broke.
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2015 8:33:29 AM
At 7/17/2015 5:08:53 AM, Defro wrote:

My uncle once fell asleep while driving up and down a mountain and I was in the backseat. The car hit a telephone pole and I flew to the front of the car. My head hit something, I think it was either the windshield or the gear shift, and then I went unconscious.

Whatever I hit, I hit it hard. It dented my skull like a ping pong ball. Part of my head was literally caved in. It also destroyed one of my sinuses, so now I have one less sinus than everyone else. I stayed in the hospital for a month and got surgery on my skull. They popped the dent back up.

The thing is, had the car not hit the pole, it would have fell off a cliff and killed us.

The good thing was it was around the end of the semester, so I was exempt from taking final exams, which is awesome because I was worried I would fail some of them. I had to do individual projects instead, and it saved my grades.

I also have a really cool scar that runs from one ear over my head to the other ear, because the surgeon had to pull the skin on my forehead down so he could pop my dent back up.

The bad thing was that for half a year after that, it was really hard for me to concentrate at school. I'd find myself randomly daydreaming during a lecture even though I intended to focus.

Sapphique
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2015 9:47:32 AM
Almost got run over by a motorcycle in China when I was 8. Literally no one stops for pedestrians.
DDO Beginners' Mafia Moderator -- PM me if you'd like to learn how to play mafia!

"We wondered what happiness would look like if we could give it a physical form...the shape of happiness might resemble glass...even though you don't usually notice it, it's still definitely there. You merely have to change your point of view slightly, and then that glass will sparkle when it reflects the light. I doubt that anything else could argue its own existence more eloquently." ~Lelouch
Sapphique
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2015 10:03:44 AM
At 7/17/2015 10:02:19 AM, RevNge wrote:
I got a B on my assignment and my dad found out.

;D

GTFO
DDO Beginners' Mafia Moderator -- PM me if you'd like to learn how to play mafia!

"We wondered what happiness would look like if we could give it a physical form...the shape of happiness might resemble glass...even though you don't usually notice it, it's still definitely there. You merely have to change your point of view slightly, and then that glass will sparkle when it reflects the light. I doubt that anything else could argue its own existence more eloquently." ~Lelouch
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2015 10:04:11 AM
At 7/17/2015 10:03:44 AM, Sapphique wrote:

;D

GTFO

Y U HATE MEH
Sapphique
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2015 10:05:27 AM
At 7/17/2015 10:04:11 AM, RevNge wrote:

;D

GTFO

Y U HATE MEH

Why is it that I never know precisely what to say after you do that?

RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2015 10:14:28 AM
At 7/17/2015 10:05:27 AM, Sapphique wrote:

;D

GTFO

Y U HATE MEH

http://www.debate.org...
Sapphique
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2015 10:21:22 AM
At 7/17/2015 10:14:28 AM, RevNge wrote:
At 7/17/2015 10:05:27 AM, Sapphique wrote:

;D

GTFO

Y U HATE MEH

http://www.debate.org...

LOL Endark I love you

Midnight1131
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2015 4:44:39 PM
All of mine just involve really close calls with cars while crossing the street. Not the most entertaining way to go, that's for sure.
#GaryJohnson2016
#TaxationisTheft
#TheftisTaxation
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2015 5:03:51 PM
My skull was broken with an aluminum bat once. My doctor said it was "miraculous" I didn't at least have brain damage.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
Defro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2015 11:39:52 PM
At 7/17/2015 8:33:29 AM, RevNge wrote:

In Thailand, the law only requires you to use seat belts if you sit in the front of a vehicle. Of course, wearing a seat belt at the back would be significantly safer, but the car I was in didn't have seat belts in the back.
Defro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2015 11:40:49 PM
At 7/17/2015 5:03:51 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
My skull was broken with an aluminum bat once. My doctor said it was "miraculous" I didn't at least have brain damage.

LOL WHAT????

Did someone hit you or something? What happened?
XLAV
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2015 1:51:07 AM
At 7/17/2015 11:39:52 PM, Defro wrote:

In Thailand, the law only requires you to use seat belts if you sit in the front of a vehicle. Of course, wearing a seat belt at the back would be significantly safer, but the car I was in didn't have seat belts in the back.

Same in the Philippines.
SamStevens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2015 2:03:07 AM

My uncle once fell asleep while driving up

That sucks.
and down a mountain and I was in the backseat. The car hit a telephone pole and I flew to the front of the car. My head hit something, I think it was either the windshield or the gear shift, and then I went unconscious.

Were you wearing a seat belt?

My closest near death experience was in preschool. I leaned over the top of a slide to look down, leaned too far, fell off, and landed on my head.
"This is the true horror of religion. It allows perfectly decent and sane people to believe by the billions, what only lunatics could believe on their own." Sam Harris
Life asked Death "Why do people love me but hate you?"
Death responded: "Because you are a beautiful lie, and I am the painful truth."
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2015 4:12:46 AM
At 7/17/2015 11:40:49 PM, Defro wrote:
At 7/17/2015 5:03:51 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

LOL WHAT????

Did someone hit you or something? What happened?

Yes - playing baseball, I was hit when someone swung a bat when they probably weren't supposed to as I was getting something right next to them.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2015 8:47:29 AM
I have at least 6 a year. Stone slabs falling and breaking while moving them. Ya never know when they will let loose. Always have to be on high alert and stand in the right places. Complacency can set in real easy.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Defro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2015 9:21:08 AM
At 7/18/2015 8:47:29 AM, sadolite wrote:
I have at least 6 a year. Stone slabs falling and breaking while moving them. Ya never know when they will let loose. Always have to be on high alert and stand in the right places. Complacency can set in real easy.

does your profession require you to move stone slaps?
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2015 9:23:10 AM
At 7/17/2015 11:39:52 PM, Defro wrote:

Wuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut

THAT'S A STUPIDASS RULE M8

And yet I'm envious.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2015 9:39:58 AM
At 7/18/2015 9:21:08 AM, Defro wrote:

Yep, everyday. Run a marble and granite bridge saw and CNC machines.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2015 9:45:50 AM
At 7/18/2015 9:39:58 AM, sadolite wrote:

In this picture all three people are standing in the death zone if the slab breaks
http://www.stonelinedesigns.com...

sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2015 9:49:28 AM
At 7/18/2015 9:45:50 AM, sadolite wrote:
At 7/18/2015 9:39:58 AM, sadolite wrote:

In this picture all three people are standing in the death zone if the slab breaks
http://www.stonelinedesigns.com...

If the slab were to break in half it will violently swing and hit either person standing on the ends depending on which way it swings then it will spin and take out the guy on the truck who has no where to go.

Cermank
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2015 10:26:25 AM
I had loads of close calls when I was a kid because i was hyperactive

once when i was two i fell in a manhole while my extended family was having a street food party. my family didnt notice for like half an hour while i was covered in filth and chest deep in dirty water.

when i was 5 i was running around the house and slipped. my head smacked into the glass table. i had to get like 13 stitches and i still have a scar.

when i was 9-10 i was playing cricket with the colony thugs and one of them scored a six and celebrated by swinging his bat around at full speed. The bat was cheap and its front part broke of and smacked me in the face. I passed out but luckily it was just a few stitches.

And when i was 12 i almost drowned once. thank god for lifeguards.
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2015 2:50:55 PM
At 7/18/2015 2:24:07 PM, XLAV wrote:
One time, I was so bored I almost masturbated myself to death.

.-.
Ajabi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2015 7:27:39 PM

Damage to the pre-frontal lobe can do that. That or there could be minor damage to the parietal or temporal lobes, I'd need your fMRI to be sure. From your concentration issues tho, it seems damage to the pre-frontal lobe is most likely.

As for my near death experience, here it is:

I have not had it. lol. I have been hit by cars multiple times, I've been terribly sick, and a host of other things which could easily kill me (especially the car) but I never thought I was going to die. (Other than minutes of weakness and fear).
Ajabi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2015 7:32:28 PM

Actually taking into account your erratic behavior, and your complexedly kind attitude I have no doubt it was damage to the pre-frontal cortex. The BA46 of the pre frontal cortex causes memory problems, no doubt you damaged a synapse on there.

Fortunately your brain is your greatest organ, and has something called "neuroflexibility" which means eventually (~10 yrs) your brain will be a mimic in function of a healthy brain (assuming you don't drink alcohol (neuro toxin) or intake certain chemicals which release large amounts of blah blah blah).

Unfortunately it takes *ages* and a lot of hard work for the brain to evolve using its flexibility if one is over 5 years. Or there are people who have half their brain cut out to prevent seizures and function just fine.
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2015 8:37:36 PM
At 7/18/2015 2:24:07 PM, XLAV wrote:
One time, I was so bored I almost masturbated myself to death.

Gross.

TMI.
Science Flies Us to the Moon. Religion Flies us Into Skyscrapers.
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2015 8:46:57 PM
When I was in the Navy serving on the fast-attack submarine the USS Dallas I was a rescue swimmer, as well as a Hospital Corpsman.

One day we were off the coast of Scotland, in rough seas (10 foot swells) in the North Atlantic. An Electonics Tech was topside--we were surfaced, obviously--repairing a photonic mast. (Part of the periscope, used to see at night.)

He got washed overboard by a wave. I jumped in to rescue him and after I got him and handed him to the guys on deck with a lifeline, another wave came along and bashed me against the steel hull. I was almost knocked unconscious, and actually went down below. Swallowed in a couple mouth-fulls of water. I actually got water in my lungs.

Just as I was about to pass out, I had one last ounce of strength left and as I was sinking to the bottom, I saw out of the corner of my eye the red flag on the end of the life-line cable. I just grabbed it in time. And as I was being hauled on deck my a couple crew members I passed out.

Turns out I was concussed, and if that lifeline flag had not been in that exact spot at that exact moment I would have drowned. Visibility in the water was only a couple feet!
Science Flies Us to the Moon. Religion Flies us Into Skyscrapers.