Jump to topic:

Are you bored?

Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2015 5:48:25 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
I'm not talking about regular boredom. I'm talking about a very specific existential boredom that only rises in highly intelligent people.

Are you bored?
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2015 5:59:06 AM
I feel like such boredom arises from a lack of exterior stimuli from equivalent beings. Environment can certainly play a factor in all this, as well as other pursuits of a higher order that seemingly fall short. Perhaps a lack of a true challenge in the grand scheme of things would also be a reason. Needless to say, such a phenomenon didn't hit me personally until I reached college.

I'm currently very active in a certain pursuit right now myself but I'm ultimately curious if anyone else has experienced such existential boredom, similar to my own in previous times, and what you believe the cause was.
Hoppi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2015 6:02:37 AM
At 7/27/2015 5:48:25 AM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
I'm not talking about regular boredom. I'm talking about a very specific existential boredom that only rises in highly intelligent people.

Are you bored?

No. I'm completely stressed out. How can you be so sure that your kind of boredom only arises in highly intelligent people? How do you know that stupid people don't feel the same way?
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2015 12:33:22 PM
At 7/27/2015 5:59:06 AM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
I feel like such boredom arises from a lack of exterior stimuli from equivalent beings. Environment can certainly play a factor in all this, as well as other pursuits of a higher order that seemingly fall short. Perhaps a lack of a true challenge in the grand scheme of things would also be a reason. Needless to say, such a phenomenon didn't hit me personally until I reached college.

I'm currently very active in a certain pursuit right now myself but I'm ultimately curious if anyone else has experienced such existential boredom, similar to my own in previous times, and what you believe the cause was.

I've been bored like this before. The cause was lack of intellectual stimulation and lack of new ideas expanding my thinking. The solution was work. Now I'm too tired to worry about such things.
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2015 1:40:16 PM

Are you bored?

I'm not very smart, so I've never been bored like that, lol.
You cannot choose whether or not you will live by rules, but you can choose which rules you will live by. --Me

"I was wrong. Squirrels are objectively superior to bunnies in every conceivable dimension."
--Joey

"Silence is golden, duct tape is silver" --PetersSmith

Nunc aut Numquam
xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2015 4:43:50 PM

Are you bored?

Not at all. Maybe because I'm not a nihilist and I actually believe everything I do is working towards a greater and more permanent goal.
Nolite Timere
xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2015 4:45:22 PM
At 7/27/2015 12:33:22 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:

I've been bored like this before. The cause was lack of intellectual stimulation and lack of new ideas expanding my thinking. The solution was work. Now I'm too tired to worry about such things.

I can't imagine there will ever be a lack of ideas in this world.
Nolite Timere
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2015 9:08:36 PM
At 7/27/2015 6:02:37 AM, Hoppi wrote:

Are you bored?

No. I'm completely stressed out. How can you be so sure that your kind of boredom only arises in highly intelligent people? How do you know that stupid people don't feel the same way?

Because I've never seen or heard of a stupid person experiencing the same kind of existential boredom I've faced at times. I've spent hours looking online for related cases and it seems to be something that only happens with intelligent people. I shouldn't have said *highly* intelligent though, because it seems that alot of geniuses have very specific projects they are focused on.
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2015 9:11:05 PM
At 7/27/2015 12:33:22 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:

That's been the general cause for me as well in the past. Work/Study was also the solution for me, and still is, lol!
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2015 9:14:16 PM
At 7/27/2015 4:43:50 PM, xXCryptoXx wrote:

Are you bored?

Not at all. Maybe because I'm not a nihilist and I actually believe everything I do is working towards a greater and more permanent goal.

I'm not a nihilist either, lol. I do believe, however, that sometimes the cause or trigger was a lack of direction in a long-term goal.
ShabShoral
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2015 11:36:26 PM

Are you bored?

The new Woody Allen movie, Irrational Man, deals with this in an interesting way. I recommend it if it's playing near you (it's in limited-release right now and I only saw it because I'm in nyc right now).
"This site is trash as a debate site. It's club penguin for dysfunctional adults."

~ Skepsikyma <3

"Your idea of good writing is like Spinoza mixed with Heidegger."

~ Dylly Dylly Cat Cat

"You seem to aspire to be a cross between a Jewish hipster, an old school WASP aristocrat, and a political iconoclast"

~ Thett the Mighty

"fvck omg ur face"

~ Liz
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2015 11:57:47 PM

Are you bored?

Well, to be honest, I think you are writing about (without knowing it) is of one of the arguments for God - a variation on the argument of Desire.

St. Augustine wrote: "You have made us for yourself, and our hearts are restless, until they can find rest in you."

What he was saying is that this is a condition of humanity. We are created for a purpose, and that purpose is to know, serve and love God. If we do not perform these actions we find that we have a continual hunger that cannot be sated. While we can divert ourselves, even these diversions become ultimately unsatisfying.
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2015 11:59:11 PM

Are you bored?

Yes.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2015 4:22:43 AM

Are you bored?

Yep, bored and disinterested in mundane things. I have to pretend to care if somebody gives me a hundred dollar gift card as a gift. I had to pretend I was excited about my Fiance's pregnancy, but really I was just thinking "that's nice". I literally don't get excited about anything.

I think it's why I'm so attracted to adderall. Adderal and all uppers really, allow you to find mundane tasks more tolerable. Sometimes I play some extremely odd games with people to kill the boredom.

Occasionally people will tell me a childhood friend I was close to died, and I'll be like "cool story bro", in my head but instead I act broken up about it. I wish society would just accept that I don't give a shitt, so I don't have to pretend to.

The only reason I get out of bed in the morning to do anything is because I feel some sort of obligation to a future me, who actually might give a shitt about stuff.

I don't even see the point in my intellectual pursuits, they're so scattered and I hop from one thing to the next, and none of that stuff is profitable. I'm an expert in cults, policing, personal finance and pimping (not kidding), but what the hell is the point?

Oh I'm also really good at poker, but I've quit my job to play that for about 18 months and had plenty of money, but everyone had this image of me that I was a mooch or always broke. They'd see me lose $500 dollars and not be smart enough to understand that it's high variance for me, though profitable. I don't understand the idiots thinking nothing of $200 in profit a day for 3 days then panicking when you lose $300 on day 4. I got tired of being judged, so that's an expertise that is useless.

I don't hate life, I could just care less about anything. If you find a solution, let me know
katie.snappy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2015 11:58:17 PM
I'm always bored. And it's not like people help (99.99% of the human population annoys me beyond belief). If I'm not constantly intellectually stimulated I tend to shut down. I guess it's just part of my personality type (INTJ).
fazz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2015 3:52:58 AM
At 7/27/2015 1:40:16 PM, mishapqueen wrote:

lol
fazz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2015 3:54:49 AM
At 7/28/2015 11:58:17 PM, katie.snappy wrote:
I'm always bored. And it's not like people help (99.99% of the human population annoys me beyond belief). If I'm not constantly intellectually stimulated I tend to shut down. I guess it's just part of my personality type (INTJ).

Sorry, I dont know you but you do know this INTJ stuff is crap.
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2015 2:27:22 PM
At 7/29/2015 3:52:58 AM, fazz wrote:
At 7/27/2015 1:40:16 PM, mishapqueen wrote:

lol
It's true, lol. I find interest in the smallest things. :P
You cannot choose whether or not you will live by rules, but you can choose which rules you will live by. --Me

"I was wrong. Squirrels are objectively superior to bunnies in every conceivable dimension."
--Joey

"Silence is golden, duct tape is silver" --PetersSmith

Nunc aut Numquam
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2015 6:48:18 PM
At 7/27/2015 11:36:26 PM, ShabShoral wrote:

Are you bored?

The new Woody Allen movie, Irrational Man, deals with this in an interesting way. I recommend it if it's playing near you (it's in limited-release right now and I only saw it because I'm in nyc right now).

I checked my local theaters but none of them are showing it. After scanning the website for the film it does say that it'll be in my town Aug. 7th, so when it gets here I'll go see it. I personally love Woody Allen films, people keep hating on the man but his films are brilliant.
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2015 6:52:35 PM
At 7/27/2015 11:57:47 PM, Geogeer wrote:

Are you bored?

Well, to be honest, I think you are writing about (without knowing it) is of one of the arguments for God - a variation on the argument of Desire.

St. Augustine wrote: "You have made us for yourself, and our hearts are restless, until they can find rest in you."

What he was saying is that this is a condition of humanity. We are created for a purpose, and that purpose is to know, serve and love God. If we do not perform these actions we find that we have a continual hunger that cannot be sated. While we can divert ourselves, even these diversions become ultimately unsatisfying.

I have a relationship with The Great Architect of the Universe (God), and speak with the Divine on a daily basis. I'm simply not a Christian, nor subscribe to any one particular religion. I know what you're saying, but for me I don't think that's ever been the reason or cause of the random spouts of existential boredom I've faced.
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2015 7:12:57 PM
At 7/28/2015 4:22:43 AM, Wylted wrote:

Are you bored?

Yep, bored and disinterested in mundane things. I have to pretend to care if somebody gives me a hundred dollar gift card as a gift. I had to pretend I was excited about my Fiance's pregnancy, but really I was just thinking "that's nice". I literally don't get excited about anything.

There's got to be something that gets you excited... I don't get excited about much, but the one thing that always gets me excited is the idea of adventure hikes. They're these random hikes I'll go on in the surrounding woodlands. I'll have my machete and water container hanging off my belt and just head into any random patch of woods. I have a great sense of direction so I've never needed a compass, I just follow the sun. Those are probably one of the few things that truly excite me. Also pursuits of knowledge. For instance, last night I read a fantastic interview featuring Nikola Tesla and I was genuinely excited to scroll through it. Lastly, sex. I love making love to someone I love, that excites me alot. Those are the only 3 things though, not much else for now.

Occasionally people will tell me a childhood friend I was close to died, and I'll be like "cool story bro", in my head but instead I act broken up about it. I wish society would just accept that I don't give a shitt, so I don't have to pretend to.

Whenever someone I knew dies I tend to get sent on this existential journey through death. I imagine where they are now, I think about our times together, and I cherish those good memories (if they were indeed good memories). I don't really ever cry though, but that's mostly because I haven't lost someone that I was truly close with. I did, however, cry when my dog died several months ago. She was my best friend and was with me everyday growing up though, which is probably why.

The only reason I get out of bed in the morning to do anything is because I feel some sort of obligation to a future me, who actually might give a shitt about stuff.

Same. For instance, I got up today for work because I know the future self will be really pissed when bills come around and I have no money to pay em. Plus I gotta feed my cats.

I don't even see the point in my intellectual pursuits, they're so scattered and I hop from one thing to the next, and none of that stuff is profitable. I'm an expert in cults, policing, personal finance and pimping (not kidding), but what the hell is the point?

I sometimes feel the same way about my own intellectual pursuits. I've come to accept that even though they seem pointless now - at the time they didn't, and that's what counts. Plus I also view this world as cyclic, where certain things need to be explored in order to move further/deeper into higher pursuits. My own interests in the occult in the past led me to shape my own views further on religion by merely exploring the other side.

Oh I'm also really good at poker, but I've quit my job to play that for about 18 months and had plenty of money, but everyone had this image of me that I was a mooch or always broke. They'd see me lose $500 dollars and not be smart enough to understand that it's high variance for me, though profitable. I don't understand the idiots thinking nothing of $200 in profit a day for 3 days then panicking when you lose $300 on day 4. I got tired of being judged, so that's an expertise that is useless.

I wouldn't say it's useless. If ever in need of quick money you can use that expertise to your advantage. Plus, who cares what others think of you? I used to care so much about my image, and what people thought of me, but I learned that at the end of the day that caring actually ends up harming oneself. Just do what you truly desire, within reason, and those who are attracted will come. Going back to Nikola Tesla, he was a man who could care less about the opinion of others, and look at what he created and achieved in his lifetime. The man invented: flourescent lights, X-rays, the electron microscope, microwave transmission, satellite communications, solar energy, guided missiles, computers, the automobile speedometer, television, vertical-takeoff aircraft and radar. The point being, I think when we stop caring so much about the opinion others have of us, we start being more free to focus on ourselves in our own way, and by doing so - we can potentially accomplish greater things, rather than wasting time and emotion on caring about our image.

I don't hate life, I could just care less about anything. If you find a solution, let me know

I'm working on it haha, it's a day-to-day process.
ShabShoral
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2015 8:28:31 PM
At 7/30/2015 6:48:18 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
At 7/27/2015 11:36:26 PM, ShabShoral wrote:

Are you bored?

I checked my local theaters but none of them are showing it. After scanning the website for the film it does say that it'll be in my town Aug. 7th, so when it gets here I'll go see it. I personally love Woody Allen films, people keep hating on the man but his films are brilliant.

Seriously... It has like a 40% on Rotten Tomatoes but I thought it was the best movie of the year. I felt the same way about his last one, Magic in the Moonlight, as well - maybe I'm just his target audience, lol.
"This site is trash as a debate site. It's club penguin for dysfunctional adults."

~ Skepsikyma <3

"Your idea of good writing is like Spinoza mixed with Heidegger."

~ Dylly Dylly Cat Cat

"You seem to aspire to be a cross between a Jewish hipster, an old school WASP aristocrat, and a political iconoclast"

~ Thett the Mighty

"fvck omg ur face"

~ Liz