Jump to topic:

Handwriting

XLAV
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2015 4:35:31 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I have horrible handwriting. My whole family writes better than me and I thought their handwriting trait would passed on to me.

Why do I have bad handwriting?

Is it possible to improve my handwriting?

If so, how?
The-Voice-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2015 4:42:00 PM
At 8/13/2015 4:35:31 PM, XLAV wrote:
I have horrible handwriting. My whole family writes better than me and I thought their handwriting trait would passed on to me.

It is not genetic -- if if was, my handwriting would be flawless -- it is how you develop your style over the course of time

Yes.... Practice. That is what I am doing right now; my handwriting has gotten a lot better.

If so, how?

Answered above.
Suh dude

"Because we all know who the most important snowflake in the wasteland is... It's YOU, champ! You're a special snowflake." -Vaarka, 01:30 in the hangouts

"Screw laying siege to Korea. That usually takes an hour or so." -Vaarka

"Crap, what is my religion again?" -Vaarka

I'm Rick Harrison and this is my pawn shop. I work here with my old man and my son, Big Hoss, and in 23 years I've learned one thing. You never know what is gonna come through that door.
ShabShoral
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2015 7:46:07 PM

Lack of practice / practice of bad habits.
Yes. I went from chicken scratch to fairly good cursive in a matter of weeks.
If so, how?

Do lots of practices. I recommend using the Palmer Method - a guide is found here: http://palmermethod.com...

Also, buy a good pen (preferably a fountain pen with a stub or flex nib) and good paper (Clairefontaine, Rhodia, &c.) It actually does make a difference.
"This site is trash as a debate site. It's club penguin for dysfunctional adults."

~ Skepsikyma <3

"Your idea of good writing is like Spinoza mixed with Heidegger."

~ Dylly Dylly Cat Cat

"You seem to aspire to be a cross between a Jewish hipster, an old school WASP aristocrat, and a political iconoclast"

~ Thett the Mighty

"fvck omg ur face"

~ Liz
Lee001
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2015 8:38:56 PM

If so, how?

Cause you suck.
"Condoms are societal constructs created by the government to restrain 'Murican freedom!"-SolonKR

"But I jest and digress (sick rhymes, yo); every boob is equal in the eyes of the Lord."- SolonKR

"Oh Hey, Seeing Artichokes Makes Me Want to Have Sex."- SolonKR

"Yep, but anyone who touches my hair immediately ascends to the heavens..You're already an angel, so touching my hair can do nothing <3" -SolonKR

My hubby Hayd <3 <3
August_Burns_Red
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2015 11:40:20 PM
At 8/13/2015 8:38:56 PM, Lee001 wrote:

If so, how?

Cause you suck.

LOL. I guess its not very Christian of me to laugh at this but I can't help it, you're funny! talk about as O'Reilly would say, "pithy." God Bless.
Tomorrow's forecast: God reigns and the Son shines!
Lee001
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2015 11:43:40 PM
At 8/13/2015 11:40:20 PM, August_Burns_Red wrote:

If so, how?

Cause you suck.

LOL. I guess its not very Christian of me to laugh at this but I can't help it, you're funny! talk about as O'Reilly would say, "pithy." God Bless.

I get that allot... /.\
"Condoms are societal constructs created by the government to restrain 'Murican freedom!"-SolonKR

"But I jest and digress (sick rhymes, yo); every boob is equal in the eyes of the Lord."- SolonKR

"Oh Hey, Seeing Artichokes Makes Me Want to Have Sex."- SolonKR

"Yep, but anyone who touches my hair immediately ascends to the heavens..You're already an angel, so touching my hair can do nothing <3" -SolonKR

My hubby Hayd <3 <3
August_Burns_Red
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2015 11:48:00 PM
At 8/13/2015 11:43:40 PM, Lee001 wrote:
At 8/13/2015 11:40:20 PM, August_Burns_Red wrote:

If so, how?

Cause you suck.

I get that allot... /.\

"Caution (spins fingers) you are now entering a No Spin Zone!"
Otokage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2015 10:01:04 PM
At 8/13/2015 4:42:00 PM, The-Voice-of-Truth wrote:

It is not genetic -- if if was, my handwriting would be flawless -- it is how you develop your style over the course of time

Yes.... Practice. That is what I am doing right now; my handwriting has gotten a lot better.

If so, how?

Answered above.

Ok, it may not be genetic, entirely. But my handwriting is an exact mix of my parents. Creepy, because they both have horrible handwriting!
August_Burns_Red
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2015 6:28:47 PM

If so, how?

How? same way ya get to Carnegie Hall from here.

"practice practice practice!"

God Bless.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2015 4:12:25 PM
I have terrible handwriting. It can be frustrating, but is not that big a hindrance.

As for what you can do. Try this. Get a fountain pen. Bigger the better. Some decent ones on eBay for ~20$. It will slow you down, make you more careful. They also have a much different tactical feel. You are "laying down ink". It works for me, helps some.
XLAV
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2015 4:13:34 PM
At 8/26/2015 4:12:25 PM, TBR wrote:
I have terrible handwriting. It can be frustrating, but is not that big a hindrance.
It is if you're gonna be an engineer.

As for what you can do. Try this. Get a fountain pen. Bigger the better. Some decent ones on eBay for ~20$. It will slow you down, make you more careful. They also have a much different tactical feel. You are "laying down ink". It works for me, helps some.

So I pretty much just have to write slow?
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2015 4:25:15 PM

Well, I can only speak to what has helped me. Slowing down has helped more than anything else. For me, I just assumed everyone was as frustrated as I was trying to get thoughts to a page when writing. If you watch someone with good handwriting, they are in no hurry.

I have all crap pens like a plague at this point. When I pickup the biggest of my fountain pens, the feel is better and it triggers my brain to "write" not just scribble.

I have several Jinhao pens (very cheep, but decent quality.)
http://www.ebay.com...
DisKamper
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2015 5:04:57 AM
Are there particular letters or numbers that are difficult to decipher in your handwriting?

I also have pretty bad handwriting, but I tried to change the way I write certain letters to make my math writing readable. For instance, I changed from cross-style t's to curved t's to avoid confusion with the plus sign. I also added a dash in my 7, closed my 4, and wrote my 8 with 2 circles instead of a single curve.
ShabShoral
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2015 5:19:56 AM
At 8/26/2015 4:25:15 PM, TBR wrote:

Well, I can only speak to what has helped me. Slowing down has helped more than anything else. For me, I just assumed everyone was as frustrated as I was trying to get thoughts to a page when writing. If you watch someone with good handwriting, they are in no hurry.

I have all crap pens like a plague at this point. When I pickup the biggest of my fountain pens, the feel is better and it triggers my brain to "write" not just scribble.

I have several Jinhao pens (very cheep, but decent quality.)
http://www.ebay.com...

I've heard good things about Jinhao pens for beginners - I'm really tempted to buy one just to stick a Zebra flex dip nib on it.

Also, if you're willing to spend a bit more, you could get a Lamy Safari (http://www.gouletpens.com...), Pilot Metropolitan (http://www.gouletpens.com...=), or, as I did, go vintage with an Esterbrook J (a very common and reliable pen - http://www.ebay.com...).

Check out the Fountain Pens subreddit if you're interested:https://www.reddit.com...

(As an interesting aside, I have the second-highest-rated post in that subreddit, for whatever godforsaken reason :))
"This site is trash as a debate site. It's club penguin for dysfunctional adults."

~ Skepsikyma <3

~ Dylly Dylly Cat Cat

"You seem to aspire to be a cross between a Jewish hipster, an old school WASP aristocrat, and a political iconoclast"

~ Thett the Mighty

"fvck omg ur face"

~ Liz
ShabShoral
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2015 5:27:17 AM
To be fair, my handwriting (when I'm writing fast, at least) is barely legible to anyone but myself, so you probably shouldn't take any of my advice, lol. Pics: http://imgur.com...

~ Skepsikyma <3

~ Dylly Dylly Cat Cat

~ Thett the Mighty

"fvck omg ur face"

~ Liz
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2015 5:29:54 AM

I've heard good things about Jinhao pens for beginners - I'm really tempted to buy one just to stick a Zebra flex dip nib on it.

If you have none, buy a couple. For the insane low price, they are great! I have bought and given away a number of them. People always ask about my pens, and having one around to give out at most times is nice.

I have turned my own pens. Love them most of all. You can get whatever nibs you want, and the tube kits. Fun as he11 and better pens than you would spend hundreds on.

By the way. Worst pen I have used? Mont Blanc. I know my expectations were high, but it feels like nothing (no weight) and the nibs are not as good as other.
ShabShoral
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2015 6:20:25 AM
At 8/27/2015 5:29:54 AM, TBR wrote:

If you have none, buy a couple. For the insane low price, they are great! I have bought and given away a number of them. People always ask about my pens, and having one around to give out at most times is nice.

I have turned my own pens. Love them most of all. You can get whatever nibs you want, and the tube kits. Fun as he11 and better pens than you would spend hundreds on.

By the way. Worst pen I have used? Mont Blanc. I know my expectations were high, but it feels like nothing (no weight) and the nibs are not as good as other.

There's a Montblanc store near me and I've tried out their pens when choosing an ink to buy, and I was much less impressed than I thought I would be. The nibs were very smooth, but it was almost to the detriment of the pen - the weightlessness, like you noted, in conjunction with the lack of physical feedback from a non-scratchy (at all) nib made me feel like I was literally just writing with air. I would choose a vintage Waterman, Eversharp, or a modern Pilot (out of the pens I've used) over a Montblanc in most circumstances.

It wouldn't be so bad if they didn't cost an obscene amount of money. You could get a legitimate custom pen for around the price of a 149.

~ Skepsikyma <3

~ Dylly Dylly Cat Cat

~ Thett the Mighty

"fvck omg ur face"

~ Liz
XLAV
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2015 2:53:20 AM
At 8/27/2015 5:27:17 AM, ShabShoral wrote:
To be fair, my handwriting (when I'm writing fast, at least) is barely legible to anyone but myself, so you probably shouldn't take any of my advice, lol. Pics: http://imgur.com...

r u a doctor?