Jump to topic:

Lie about my beliefs

XLAV
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2015 3:52:11 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Most of you know that I am actually an agnostic atheist, but most people I know in real life don't.

The Philippines has a high percentage of Chriatian population, like around 90%+. The atheists/no religion are around 1-2%. Being a Catholic in a Catholic country will give me a lot of benefits like old people won't think I'm a devil, religious chicks, more networking, family won't disown me, good public image, etc. Now being an atheist in a Catholic country will only give me self enligtenment and maybe also good atheist friends that I can relate with.

Now I know some of you might think that being an Atheist won't be a big deal, but it is a big deal in my country. If I out as an Atheist then it will affect me a lot socially.

So, should I just lie that I'm a Catholic, or be truthful and say I'm an atheist?

At the moment, I decided to just go with being a Catholic so I can enjoy the benefits and make no drama. What do you guys think?
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2015 6:18:57 PM
Just say you're a Catholic. There's no benefit from saying otherwise.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2015 6:25:32 PM
I'd say, unless it severely hurts you inside to do otherwise, or you feel like your living a lie, have a inner conflict about it, ect. To just lie and go with it.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2015 9:06:17 PM
Do what you need to do. Atheists in most highly religious countries are the most distrusted group of the population. In America, even a rapist or child molester would be elected to a government office before anyone openly admitting they were an atheist.
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2015 11:20:40 PM
At 8/16/2015 3:52:11 PM, XLAV wrote:
Most of you know that I am actually an agnostic atheist, but most people I know in real life don't.

The Philippines has a high percentage of Chriatian population, like around 90%+. The atheists/no religion are around 1-2%. Being a Catholic in a Catholic country will give me a lot of benefits like old people won't think I'm a devil, religious chicks, more networking, family won't disown me, good public image, etc. Now being an atheist in a Catholic country will only give me self enligtenment and maybe also good atheist friends that I can relate with.

Now I know some of you might think that being an Atheist won't be a big deal, but it is a big deal in my country. If I out as an Atheist then it will affect me a lot socially.

So, should I just lie that I'm a Catholic, or be truthful and say I'm an atheist?

At the moment, I decided to just go with being a Catholic so I can enjoy the benefits and make no drama. What do you guys think?

I think you should convert to Catholicism.

However, since I doubt that you'll convert based on that comment. You have to be honest with yourself. How can you be fair to a Catholic girl by pretending to be a Catholic. You'd be deceiving someone you are trying to build the most trusting relationship with.

Now that doesn't mean that you have to let everyone know. I would say not to lie, but silence or non-committal is fine.

That being said you should convert to Catholicism.
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2015 12:38:01 AM
At 8/20/2015 11:20:40 PM, Geogeer wrote:

However, since I doubt that you'll convert based on that comment. You have to be honest with yourself. How can you be fair to a Catholic girl by pretending to be a Catholic. You'd be deceiving someone you are trying to build the most trusting relationship with.

Now that doesn't mean that you have to let everyone know. I would say not to lie, but silence or non-committal is fine.

Just a "by the way"- XLAV is a guy.
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2015 12:39:18 AM
At 8/16/2015 6:18:57 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
Just say you're a Catholic. There's no benefit from saying otherwise.

^

And you don't have to 'directly' lie if lying bothers you... You can just manipulate the truth or hide certain things.
"I come from a Catholic family. What do you think?" Stuff like that :P
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2015 12:42:07 AM
At 8/20/2015 9:06:17 PM, dhardage wrote:
Do what you need to do. Atheists in most highly religious countries are the most distrusted group of the population. In America, even a rapist or child molester would be elected to a government office before anyone openly admitting they were an atheist.

This is a bit of an overexaggeration, but I understand your general point.
Nolite Timere
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2015 12:45:34 AM

Say you're a Muslim, praise Osama.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2015 1:23:14 AM
At 8/21/2015 12:38:01 AM, ESocialBookworm wrote:

I know, I asked how he could be fair to a Catholic girl... Maybe it was phrased poorly?
Nac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2015 1:50:24 AM
It would depend on your situation:

1. How much do you need to release this burden?
2. Are you sure that your parents will disown you, or do you think they will accept you?
3. Does letting your true self out on the internet make you feel better?
4. Is there anyone you can tell this to IRL who you are confident will accept you, no matter what.
5. How much will you need to endure if you keep this a secret.

I would say that, in general, you should just simply maintain a vague manner. Don't directly lie, but lead them to infer that lie. That may make this easier.
Amore-mystery-et-Verite-2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2015 3:33:51 AM

Dude, where do you live?? I live in the Philippines too and everyone knows I'm agnostic but they're cool with it and I get special treatments cause the Christian people think that if they give gifts then I'll convert. I say tell them the truth.
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2015 12:14:33 PM
You live in the Philipeans? I thought you lived in Tiwan.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
XLAV
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2015 12:22:43 PM
At 8/21/2015 3:33:51 AM, Amore-mystery-et-Verite-2 wrote:

Dude, where do you live?? I live in the Philippines too and everyone knows I'm agnostic but they're cool with it and I get special treatments cause the Christian people think that if they give gifts then I'll convert. I say tell them the truth.

Lol wtf. When I hinted that I was an atheist people thought I was a demon, lol.
Also I live in Manila.
XLAV
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2015 12:23:29 PM
At 8/21/2015 12:14:33 PM, lannan13 wrote:

What is TIWAN?
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2015 12:23:29 PM

Depends on the Social norms and the abstract of the anomaly phemonimon. We'd have to observe the societal impacts and weigh it with the light of your overall emotional state. I guess the only thing that can be relatable to this, in my mind, would be children telling their parents they're gay.

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2015 12:24:01 PM
At 8/21/2015 12:23:29 PM, XLAV wrote:
At 8/21/2015 12:14:33 PM, lannan13 wrote:

What is TIWAN?

Taiwan, I can't spell worth sh*t this early in the morning.

XLAV
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2015 12:25:37 PM

^ I'll probably do this.

No thanks. My mind is pretty set on agnostic atheism.
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2015 1:11:32 PM
At 8/21/2015 12:42:07 AM, xXCryptoXx wrote:

Not an exaggeration at all. There have been surveys done and the majority of Americans so surveyed put atheists at the bottom of the list below the aforementioned scum.
Amore-mystery-et-Verite-2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2015 1:38:49 PM
At 8/21/2015 12:22:43 PM, XLAV wrote:
At 8/21/2015 3:33:51 AM, Amore-mystery-et-Verite-2 wrote:

Lol wtf. When I hinted that I was an atheist people thought I was a demon, lol.
Also I live in Manila.

Poor part or rich part?? I live in Bulacan tho Catholics are very judgmental here but don't say extreme things like that. Lol. Actually almost all Protestants are giving me special treatments in a good way
The-Voice-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2015 1:49:32 PM
At 8/21/2015 1:04:57 AM, XLAV wrote:
At 8/21/2015 12:38:01 AM, ESocialBookworm wrote:

I'M A GIRL!!!

Yet your profile advocates otherwise.....
Suh dude

"Because we all know who the most important snowflake in the wasteland is... It's YOU, champ! You're a special snowflake." -Vaarka, 01:30 in the hangouts

"Screw laying siege to Korea. That usually takes an hour or so." -Vaarka

"Crap, what is my religion again?" -Vaarka

I'm Rick Harrison and this is my pawn shop. I work here with my old man and my son, Big Hoss, and in 23 years I've learned one thing. You never know what is gonna come through that door.
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2015 2:56:37 PM

You should talk to Madcornishbiker who is a JW living in the UK and plans to settle in the Philippines so he can be with exotic Asians. He won't have any problems with you lying about your faith. He has been doing the same for many years after he was disfellowshipped and shunned by the JW.
MCB has been looking for a 50 year old virgin on Mingle2 a free Christian dating service. And for some reason he is convinced he might get lucky in the Philippines. Are there really that many 50 year old virgins in the Philippines. Or are the women too lying about their beliefs.
fromantle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2015 3:42:04 PM
Catholic is about best of the religions of convienence. I recently heard an Australian Vatholic bishop say atheists can go to heaven. It was a debate with Richard Dawkins.
I expect there are many silent non believers among the population people in general don't rock the boat. Ask around , question a few aquaintances you may be surprised.
Sometimes those who profess the deepest beliefs behave as if they habe none.
ClashnBoom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2015 3:52:43 PM
At 8/21/2015 3:42:04 PM, fromantle wrote:
Catholic is about best of the religions of convenience. I recently heard an Australian Catholic bishop say atheists can go to heaven. It was a debate with Richard Dawkins.

You mean George Pell?? I watched it too. I was a good Q and A episode but I think Catholics are more strict than most forms of Protestantism.

I expect there are many silent non believers among the population people in general don't rock the boat. Ask around , question a few aquaintances you may be surprised.
Sometimes those who profess the deepest beliefs behave as if they habe none.
I will change my sig weekly. Week 4.

Fun fact of the week
Clumsy alien Jar Jar Binks was introduced in The Phantom Menace for comic relief, but he was initially a two-faced mercenary who was to betray Qui-Gon Jinn, a Jedi Master played by Liam Neeson.

Joke of the week:
Nerd 1: "Why can't you trust atoms?"
Nerd 2: : "Cause they make everything up!"
fromantle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2015 4:59:50 PM
I'm surprised to hear you say that. Catholics are not required to knock on doors and witness, nor to hand out tracts and they can confess without problem. The Pope has oked the big bang and evolution is no stumbling block. Many ignore church teaching on contraception and secret immorality does take place. They can neglect attending mass and associate with anybody. Naturally there are Catholics who take it all very seriously but that applies to the high Church of England.In fact the c
Catholic church is very up to date in many ways.
Otokage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2015 8:35:31 PM

well if I were you, I wouldn't go out with a t-shirt saying "im an atheist" in big letters. But if the topic of religion appears on a conversation, I wouldn't lie either if asked directly. Why would I lie? It can be a big deal to "come out" as an atheist, ok, but not that big to make you live a lie. It's not like you are saying you are a jew on the nazi germany or something like that...
August_Burns_Red
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2015 9:41:35 PM

Hmm..it doesnt really sound to me like it matters what you say about yourself. Since you obviously don't Love God or Jesus or do good works in their Names your not in God's Grace, so who cares what you lable yourself as. Take the easy way out and do what you been doing. Atheism is also the easy way out, so it fits for you. Just remember that your choosing the easy path and well God sees that we all get what we deserve and work for. Nothing ventured = noting Gained. Like Heaven and the Empowerment from God's Grace. If your satisfied with all that then by all means, keep hiding. He Who Kneels Before the Lord can Stand Before ANY man."
God Bless.
Tomorrow's forecast: God reigns and the Son shines!
all-in-one
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2015 11:26:22 PM

At the moment, I decided to just go with being a Catholic so I can enjoy the benefits and make no drama. What do you guys think? : :

President George W. Bush became a born-again Christian so he could gather support from the born-agains before attacking Iraq. Ex-president Bush is no more a born-again Christian than you saying you're a Catholic knowing you're an atheist.
xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2015 12:19:19 AM
At 8/21/2015 1:11:32 PM, dhardage wrote:
At 8/21/2015 12:42:07 AM, xXCryptoXx wrote:

Not an exaggeration at all. There have been surveys done and the majority of Americans so surveyed put atheists at the bottom of the list below the aforementioned scum.

I find that hard to believe, but I also have grown up around very open minded, intelligent, and accepting people so I have really never personally witnessed such a stigma against atheists. And that speaks a lot because I go to the Catholic school, attend a Catholic Church, and live in a Catholic community.
Nolite Timere