Total Posts:28|Showing Posts:1-28
Jump to topic:

Advice? HELP!

katie.snappy
Posts: 108
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2015 10:49:17 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I do Public Forum debate and I recently got ditched by my partner (as of 2 days ago) because apparently he found someone who is "20x better" than me. Aside from the fact that he ditched me after I spent my whole summer researching in preparation for debating with him, he decides to get a new partner.

So I am without a partner. And I don't know what to do. Our team is very small and there is no one else who doesn't have a partner and I don't know anyone who isn't in debate who would be willing to be my partner. So what should I do? At this point I am considering leaving the team as I seem to always get ditched at the last minute and end up having to watch everyone else debate which is hard for me because it is literally the one thing that I look forward to about going back to school.

Do I quit? Switch to something else? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
OberHerr
Posts: 13,062
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2015 3:17:49 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Well, if you can't find anyone for said topic, at least in Public Forum, then your only options are to quit or swap to a different debate group, like LD or AP?

If you really wanna stick with it, and stay on the team, then I'd swap to a different debate style/group/whatever, or change what you need to change to stay in public forum if that's possible.

But if you can't do that, or don't want to, I'd ask yourself if you want to stay on a debate team where these things happen, from what I can tell from your story, constantly. Judging by your age your likely either a Sophomore or a Junior. You got at least two years left. If it doesn't look like anyone on the team wants to help you out or make it work, it might not be worth it.

Or, you could swap to a different style, like LD, where you don't need a partner.

TL;DR I'd decide if you want to swap to a different style, or quit.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
katie.snappy
Posts: 108
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2015 3:45:44 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/17/2015 3:17:49 PM, OberHerr wrote:
TL;DR I'd decide if you want to swap to a different style, or quit.

I did a debate camp last summer because I wanted to try LD because my partner (the same one) decided to ditch me. I couldn't stand it. After the first day I switched back to PF. I would like to stay on the team if possible because I was supposed to be team captain this year, but I don't know if it is worth it. I could always try OO but it doesn't involve any actual debating or research (which is what I enjoy about PF).
thett3
Posts: 14,338
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2015 4:12:02 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/17/2015 3:45:44 PM, katie.snappy wrote:
At 8/17/2015 3:17:49 PM, OberHerr wrote:
TL;DR I'd decide if you want to swap to a different style, or quit.

I did a debate camp last summer because I wanted to try LD because my partner (the same one) decided to ditch me. I couldn't stand it. After the first day I switched back to PF. I would like to stay on the team if possible because I was supposed to be team captain this year, but I don't know if it is worth it. I could always try OO but it doesn't involve any actual debating or research (which is what I enjoy about PF).

What did you hate about LD?
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
katie.snappy
Posts: 108
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2015 4:23:08 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/17/2015 4:12:02 PM, thett3 wrote:
At 8/17/2015 3:45:44 PM, katie.snappy wrote:
At 8/17/2015 3:17:49 PM, OberHerr wrote:
TL;DR I'd decide if you want to swap to a different style, or quit.

I did a debate camp last summer because I wanted to try LD because my partner (the same one) decided to ditch me. I couldn't stand it. After the first day I switched back to PF. I would like to stay on the team if possible because I was supposed to be team captain this year, but I don't know if it is worth it. I could always try OO but it doesn't involve any actual debating or research (which is what I enjoy about PF).

What did you hate about LD?

I didn't like the focus on morality. It seemed super values-oriented and I prefer fact-based debates.
PetersSmith
Posts: 5,819
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2015 4:24:33 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/16/2015 10:49:17 PM, katie.snappy wrote:
I do Public Forum debate and I recently got ditched by my partner (as of 2 days ago) because apparently he found someone who is "20x better" than me. Aside from the fact that he ditched me after I spent my whole summer researching in preparation for debating with him, he decides to get a new partner.

So I am without a partner. And I don't know what to do. Our team is very small and there is no one else who doesn't have a partner and I don't know anyone who isn't in debate who would be willing to be my partner. So what should I do? At this point I am considering leaving the team as I seem to always get ditched at the last minute and end up having to watch everyone else debate which is hard for me because it is literally the one thing that I look forward to about going back to school.

Do I quit? Switch to something else? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Prove your partner wrong.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
katie.snappy
Posts: 108
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2015 4:26:32 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/17/2015 4:24:33 PM, PetersSmith wrote:
At 8/16/2015 10:49:17 PM, katie.snappy wrote:
I do Public Forum debate and I recently got ditched by my partner (as of 2 days ago) because apparently he found someone who is "20x better" than me. Aside from the fact that he ditched me after I spent my whole summer researching in preparation for debating with him, he decides to get a new partner.

So I am without a partner. And I don't know what to do. Our team is very small and there is no one else who doesn't have a partner and I don't know anyone who isn't in debate who would be willing to be my partner. So what should I do? At this point I am considering leaving the team as I seem to always get ditched at the last minute and end up having to watch everyone else debate which is hard for me because it is literally the one thing that I look forward to about going back to school.

Do I quit? Switch to something else? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Prove your partner wrong.

How?
PetersSmith
Posts: 5,819
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2015 4:29:17 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/17/2015 4:26:32 PM, katie.snappy wrote:
At 8/17/2015 4:24:33 PM, PetersSmith wrote:
At 8/16/2015 10:49:17 PM, katie.snappy wrote:
I do Public Forum debate and I recently got ditched by my partner (as of 2 days ago) because apparently he found someone who is "20x better" than me. Aside from the fact that he ditched me after I spent my whole summer researching in preparation for debating with him, he decides to get a new partner.

So I am without a partner. And I don't know what to do. Our team is very small and there is no one else who doesn't have a partner and I don't know anyone who isn't in debate who would be willing to be my partner. So what should I do? At this point I am considering leaving the team as I seem to always get ditched at the last minute and end up having to watch everyone else debate which is hard for me because it is literally the one thing that I look forward to about going back to school.

Do I quit? Switch to something else? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Prove your partner wrong.

How?

Well, dropping out would only prove his point, so either find someone who's good at following directions or do it yourself. You spent the whole summer researching, you went to debate camp, so clearly you have the capabilities and the experience. I've done it before because I do things with the expectation that the partners won't do anything.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
katie.snappy
Posts: 108
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2015 4:30:59 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/17/2015 4:29:17 PM, PetersSmith wrote:
At 8/17/2015 4:26:32 PM, katie.snappy wrote:
At 8/17/2015 4:24:33 PM, PetersSmith wrote:
At 8/16/2015 10:49:17 PM, katie.snappy wrote:
I do Public Forum debate and I recently got ditched by my partner (as of 2 days ago) because apparently he found someone who is "20x better" than me. Aside from the fact that he ditched me after I spent my whole summer researching in preparation for debating with him, he decides to get a new partner.

So I am without a partner. And I don't know what to do. Our team is very small and there is no one else who doesn't have a partner and I don't know anyone who isn't in debate who would be willing to be my partner. So what should I do? At this point I am considering leaving the team as I seem to always get ditched at the last minute and end up having to watch everyone else debate which is hard for me because it is literally the one thing that I look forward to about going back to school.

Do I quit? Switch to something else? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Prove your partner wrong.

How?

Well, dropping out would only prove his point, so either find someone who's good at following directions or do it yourself. You spent the whole summer researching, you went to debate camp, so clearly you have the capabilities and the experience. I've done it before because I do things with the expectation that the partners won't do anything.

True, but I need a partner (PF is a team). And unless I debate with a novice at the novice level, I don't know how I can find a partner who is capable enough to keep up with me.
PetersSmith
Posts: 5,819
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2015 4:33:03 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/17/2015 4:30:59 PM, katie.snappy wrote:
At 8/17/2015 4:29:17 PM, PetersSmith wrote:
At 8/17/2015 4:26:32 PM, katie.snappy wrote:
At 8/17/2015 4:24:33 PM, PetersSmith wrote:
At 8/16/2015 10:49:17 PM, katie.snappy wrote:
I do Public Forum debate and I recently got ditched by my partner (as of 2 days ago) because apparently he found someone who is "20x better" than me. Aside from the fact that he ditched me after I spent my whole summer researching in preparation for debating with him, he decides to get a new partner.

So I am without a partner. And I don't know what to do. Our team is very small and there is no one else who doesn't have a partner and I don't know anyone who isn't in debate who would be willing to be my partner. So what should I do? At this point I am considering leaving the team as I seem to always get ditched at the last minute and end up having to watch everyone else debate which is hard for me because it is literally the one thing that I look forward to about going back to school.

Do I quit? Switch to something else? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Prove your partner wrong.

How?

Well, dropping out would only prove his point, so either find someone who's good at following directions or do it yourself. You spent the whole summer researching, you went to debate camp, so clearly you have the capabilities and the experience. I've done it before because I do things with the expectation that the partners won't do anything.

True, but I need a partner (PF is a team). And unless I debate with a novice at the novice level, I don't know how I can find a partner who is capable enough to keep up with me.

He/she doesn't necessarily need to keep up with you if you could write out a "script". Otherwise, if you truly do enjoy the PF, then it would be silly for you to drop out. And now you have this "goal" for once to prove to your partner that you're the superior one.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
katie.snappy
Posts: 108
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2015 4:35:21 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/17/2015 4:33:03 PM, PetersSmith wrote:
At 8/17/2015 4:30:59 PM, katie.snappy wrote:
At 8/17/2015 4:29:17 PM, PetersSmith wrote:
At 8/17/2015 4:26:32 PM, katie.snappy wrote:
At 8/17/2015 4:24:33 PM, PetersSmith wrote:
At 8/16/2015 10:49:17 PM, katie.snappy wrote:
I do Public Forum debate and I recently got ditched by my partner (as of 2 days ago) because apparently he found someone who is "20x better" than me. Aside from the fact that he ditched me after I spent my whole summer researching in preparation for debating with him, he decides to get a new partner.

So I am without a partner. And I don't know what to do. Our team is very small and there is no one else who doesn't have a partner and I don't know anyone who isn't in debate who would be willing to be my partner. So what should I do? At this point I am considering leaving the team as I seem to always get ditched at the last minute and end up having to watch everyone else debate which is hard for me because it is literally the one thing that I look forward to about going back to school.

Do I quit? Switch to something else? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Prove your partner wrong.

How?

Well, dropping out would only prove his point, so either find someone who's good at following directions or do it yourself. You spent the whole summer researching, you went to debate camp, so clearly you have the capabilities and the experience. I've done it before because I do things with the expectation that the partners won't do anything.

True, but I need a partner (PF is a team). And unless I debate with a novice at the novice level, I don't know how I can find a partner who is capable enough to keep up with me.

He/she doesn't necessarily need to keep up with you if you could write out a "script". Otherwise, if you truly do enjoy the PF, then it would be silly for you to drop out. And now you have this "goal" for once to prove to your partner that you're the superior one.

Do you think that it is realistic to partner with someone who has never debated before and expect them to survive in varsity? If I write a script it would minimize the problem but judges tend to frown upon written speeches.
PetersSmith
Posts: 5,819
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2015 4:39:37 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/17/2015 4:35:21 PM, katie.snappy wrote:
At 8/17/2015 4:33:03 PM, PetersSmith wrote:
At 8/17/2015 4:30:59 PM, katie.snappy wrote:
At 8/17/2015 4:29:17 PM, PetersSmith wrote:
At 8/17/2015 4:26:32 PM, katie.snappy wrote:
At 8/17/2015 4:24:33 PM, PetersSmith wrote:
At 8/16/2015 10:49:17 PM, katie.snappy wrote:
I do Public Forum debate and I recently got ditched by my partner (as of 2 days ago) because apparently he found someone who is "20x better" than me. Aside from the fact that he ditched me after I spent my whole summer researching in preparation for debating with him, he decides to get a new partner.

So I am without a partner. And I don't know what to do. Our team is very small and there is no one else who doesn't have a partner and I don't know anyone who isn't in debate who would be willing to be my partner. So what should I do? At this point I am considering leaving the team as I seem to always get ditched at the last minute and end up having to watch everyone else debate which is hard for me because it is literally the one thing that I look forward to about going back to school.

Do I quit? Switch to something else? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Prove your partner wrong.

How?

Well, dropping out would only prove his point, so either find someone who's good at following directions or do it yourself. You spent the whole summer researching, you went to debate camp, so clearly you have the capabilities and the experience. I've done it before because I do things with the expectation that the partners won't do anything.

True, but I need a partner (PF is a team). And unless I debate with a novice at the novice level, I don't know how I can find a partner who is capable enough to keep up with me.

He/she doesn't necessarily need to keep up with you if you could write out a "script". Otherwise, if you truly do enjoy the PF, then it would be silly for you to drop out. And now you have this "goal" for once to prove to your partner that you're the superior one.

Do you think that it is realistic to partner with someone who has never debated before and expect them to survive in varsity? If I write a script it would minimize the problem but judges tend to frown upon written speeches.

Whatever you think is best. But we're going by the worst case scenario. I'm sure you can find a partner who has more experience.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
OberHerr
Posts: 13,062
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2015 4:41:03 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/17/2015 4:23:08 PM, katie.snappy wrote:
At 8/17/2015 4:12:02 PM, thett3 wrote:
At 8/17/2015 3:45:44 PM, katie.snappy wrote:
At 8/17/2015 3:17:49 PM, OberHerr wrote:
TL;DR I'd decide if you want to swap to a different style, or quit.

I did a debate camp last summer because I wanted to try LD because my partner (the same one) decided to ditch me. I couldn't stand it. After the first day I switched back to PF. I would like to stay on the team if possible because I was supposed to be team captain this year, but I don't know if it is worth it. I could always try OO but it doesn't involve any actual debating or research (which is what I enjoy about PF).

What did you hate about LD?

I didn't like the focus on morality. It seemed super values-oriented and I prefer fact-based debates.

You and 16k should get together.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
katie.snappy
Posts: 108
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2015 4:41:49 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/17/2015 4:39:37 PM, PetersSmith wrote:
Whatever you think is best. But we're going by the worst case scenario. I'm sure you can find a partner who has more experience.

Our debate team only has 6 PF debaters. 1 novice team, 1 JV team, and then my ex-partner and I. The only way for me to find a partner with any experience would be for me to break up the JV team, but I don't want to separate an already existing team (and I've worked with them before and we don't work well together).
PetersSmith
Posts: 5,819
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2015 4:43:22 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/17/2015 4:41:49 PM, katie.snappy wrote:
At 8/17/2015 4:39:37 PM, PetersSmith wrote:
Whatever you think is best. But we're going by the worst case scenario. I'm sure you can find a partner who has more experience.

Our debate team only has 6 PF debaters. 1 novice team, 1 JV team, and then my ex-partner and I. The only way for me to find a partner with any experience would be for me to break up the JV team, but I don't want to separate an already existing team (and I've worked with them before and we don't work well together).

Okay, well, I tried.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
katie.snappy
Posts: 108
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2015 4:43:38 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/17/2015 4:41:03 PM, OberHerr wrote:
At 8/17/2015 4:23:08 PM, katie.snappy wrote:
At 8/17/2015 4:12:02 PM, thett3 wrote:
At 8/17/2015 3:45:44 PM, katie.snappy wrote:
At 8/17/2015 3:17:49 PM, OberHerr wrote:
TL;DR I'd decide if you want to swap to a different style, or quit.

I did a debate camp last summer because I wanted to try LD because my partner (the same one) decided to ditch me. I couldn't stand it. After the first day I switched back to PF. I would like to stay on the team if possible because I was supposed to be team captain this year, but I don't know if it is worth it. I could always try OO but it doesn't involve any actual debating or research (which is what I enjoy about PF).

What did you hate about LD?

I didn't like the focus on morality. It seemed super values-oriented and I prefer fact-based debates.

You and 16k should get together.

YES
katie.snappy
Posts: 108
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2015 4:46:42 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/17/2015 4:43:22 PM, PetersSmith wrote:
At 8/17/2015 4:41:49 PM, katie.snappy wrote:
At 8/17/2015 4:39:37 PM, PetersSmith wrote:
Whatever you think is best. But we're going by the worst case scenario. I'm sure you can find a partner who has more experience.

Our debate team only has 6 PF debaters. 1 novice team, 1 JV team, and then my ex-partner and I. The only way for me to find a partner with any experience would be for me to break up the JV team, but I don't want to separate an already existing team (and I've worked with them before and we don't work well together).

Okay, well, I tried.

No, your advice is actually really good. I think I might bounce them off the coach and see what she says.
Zaradi
Posts: 14,125
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2015 6:31:50 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/17/2015 4:23:08 PM, katie.snappy wrote:
At 8/17/2015 4:12:02 PM, thett3 wrote:
At 8/17/2015 3:45:44 PM, katie.snappy wrote:
At 8/17/2015 3:17:49 PM, OberHerr wrote:
TL;DR I'd decide if you want to swap to a different style, or quit.

I did a debate camp last summer because I wanted to try LD because my partner (the same one) decided to ditch me. I couldn't stand it. After the first day I switched back to PF. I would like to stay on the team if possible because I was supposed to be team captain this year, but I don't know if it is worth it. I could always try OO but it doesn't involve any actual debating or research (which is what I enjoy about PF).

What did you hate about LD?

I didn't like the focus on morality. It seemed super values-oriented and I prefer fact-based debates.

LD debater here. 90% of basic LD cases have their "moral frameworks" of utilitarianism and then just spew facts all over the place. There's definitely room for what you like to run in LD.
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
katie.snappy
Posts: 108
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2015 6:34:15 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/17/2015 6:31:50 PM, Zaradi wrote:
At 8/17/2015 4:23:08 PM, katie.snappy wrote:
At 8/17/2015 4:12:02 PM, thett3 wrote:
At 8/17/2015 3:45:44 PM, katie.snappy wrote:
At 8/17/2015 3:17:49 PM, OberHerr wrote:
TL;DR I'd decide if you want to swap to a different style, or quit.

I did a debate camp last summer because I wanted to try LD because my partner (the same one) decided to ditch me. I couldn't stand it. After the first day I switched back to PF. I would like to stay on the team if possible because I was supposed to be team captain this year, but I don't know if it is worth it. I could always try OO but it doesn't involve any actual debating or research (which is what I enjoy about PF).

What did you hate about LD?

I didn't like the focus on morality. It seemed super values-oriented and I prefer fact-based debates.

LD debater here. 90% of basic LD cases have their "moral frameworks" of utilitarianism and then just spew facts all over the place. There's definitely room for what you like to run in LD.

So would you say LD is more fact-based than values-based? The NSDA website says it is values oriented but I tend to go with whatever people with experience say.
Zaradi
Posts: 14,125
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2015 6:45:04 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/17/2015 6:34:15 PM, katie.snappy wrote:
At 8/17/2015 6:31:50 PM, Zaradi wrote:
At 8/17/2015 4:23:08 PM, katie.snappy wrote:
At 8/17/2015 4:12:02 PM, thett3 wrote:
At 8/17/2015 3:45:44 PM, katie.snappy wrote:
At 8/17/2015 3:17:49 PM, OberHerr wrote:
TL;DR I'd decide if you want to swap to a different style, or quit.

I did a debate camp last summer because I wanted to try LD because my partner (the same one) decided to ditch me. I couldn't stand it. After the first day I switched back to PF. I would like to stay on the team if possible because I was supposed to be team captain this year, but I don't know if it is worth it. I could always try OO but it doesn't involve any actual debating or research (which is what I enjoy about PF).

What did you hate about LD?

I didn't like the focus on morality. It seemed super values-oriented and I prefer fact-based debates.

LD debater here. 90% of basic LD cases have their "moral frameworks" of utilitarianism and then just spew facts all over the place. There's definitely room for what you like to run in LD.

So would you say LD is more fact-based than values-based? The NSDA website says it is values oriented but I tend to go with whatever people with experience say.

What it generally means by "values-based" is that the generic LD case has a value and a criterion for a framework. Contention-level arguments are still just like contentions from PF.
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
medv4380
Posts: 200
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2015 8:18:06 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/16/2015 10:49:17 PM, katie.snappy wrote:
Do I quit? Switch to something else? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Depends on your end goal. If you're goal is to have fun and get to know people then finding a new partner won't be too difficult. You just need to find a newbie. If you're using debate to get used to a future in Law or Politics then you should also stay since it's an easy way to get your feet wet to know if that's something you want to do.

You might have some friends who've never even considered debate, so you might ask around.

If you really do enjoy debate then you'll regret giving up. My HS didn't have a debate team for some unknown reason. A teacher of mine tried to start the ground work to reestablish a team, but due to other commitments that were forced upon me I personally wasn't able to help with the push to recruit so we never had enough members. Had I put in the effort I know I wouldn't have made many gains since it would have been my senior year with no one to learn from other than being an occasional spectator. But it would have been worth it to just have the fun.
thett3
Posts: 14,338
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2015 8:39:41 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/17/2015 4:23:08 PM, katie.snappy wrote:
At 8/17/2015 4:12:02 PM, thett3 wrote:
At 8/17/2015 3:45:44 PM, katie.snappy wrote:
At 8/17/2015 3:17:49 PM, OberHerr wrote:
TL;DR I'd decide if you want to swap to a different style, or quit.

I did a debate camp last summer because I wanted to try LD because my partner (the same one) decided to ditch me. I couldn't stand it. After the first day I switched back to PF. I would like to stay on the team if possible because I was supposed to be team captain this year, but I don't know if it is worth it. I could always try OO but it doesn't involve any actual debating or research (which is what I enjoy about PF).

What did you hate about LD?

I didn't like the focus on morality. It seemed super values-oriented and I prefer fact-based debates.

Yeah I hate moral debates, too...in Texas a lot of LD topics just turned into quasi-policy evidence based debate. Is it not like that in your district?
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
katie.snappy
Posts: 108
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2015 8:58:20 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/17/2015 8:39:41 PM, thett3 wrote:
At 8/17/2015 4:23:08 PM, katie.snappy wrote:
At 8/17/2015 4:12:02 PM, thett3 wrote:
At 8/17/2015 3:45:44 PM, katie.snappy wrote:
At 8/17/2015 3:17:49 PM, OberHerr wrote:
TL;DR I'd decide if you want to swap to a different style, or quit.

I did a debate camp last summer because I wanted to try LD because my partner (the same one) decided to ditch me. I couldn't stand it. After the first day I switched back to PF. I would like to stay on the team if possible because I was supposed to be team captain this year, but I don't know if it is worth it. I could always try OO but it doesn't involve any actual debating or research (which is what I enjoy about PF).

What did you hate about LD?

I didn't like the focus on morality. It seemed super values-oriented and I prefer fact-based debates.

Yeah I hate moral debates, too...in Texas a lot of LD topics just turned into quasi-policy evidence based debate. Is it not like that in your district?

I don't think so. From what the LD debaters on our team have said, it's super moral and invokes a lot of philosophical schools of thought.
katie.snappy
Posts: 108
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2015 9:01:44 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/17/2015 8:18:06 PM, medv4380 wrote:
At 8/16/2015 10:49:17 PM, katie.snappy wrote:
Do I quit? Switch to something else? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Depends on your end goal. If you're goal is to have fun and get to know people then finding a new partner won't be too difficult. You just need to find a newbie. If you're using debate to get used to a future in Law or Politics then you should also stay since it's an easy way to get your feet wet to know if that's something you want to do.

You might have some friends who've never even considered debate, so you might ask around.

If you really do enjoy debate then you'll regret giving up. My HS didn't have a debate team for some unknown reason. A teacher of mine tried to start the ground work to reestablish a team, but due to other commitments that were forced upon me I personally wasn't able to help with the push to recruit so we never had enough members. Had I put in the effort I know I wouldn't have made many gains since it would have been my senior year with no one to learn from other than being an occasional spectator. But it would have been worth it to just have the fun.

I've considered giving up before (since my current ex-partner had been my ex-partner before) but I just couldn't get myself to leave. I love PF debate. It occupies my mind and research is my favorite thing to do. So I really don't want to quit. I don't think I could stand by and watch. I've tried to find a partner. I've literally asked everyone I know (and that I would work well with) but they all are doing a fall sport, hate public speaking, and/or have a course load that means they wouldn't have the time.
Sarra
Posts: 288
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2015 3:26:48 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/17/2015 3:45:44 PM, katie.snappy wrote:
At 8/17/2015 3:17:49 PM, OberHerr wrote:
TL;DR I'd decide if you want to swap to a different style, or quit.

I did a debate camp last summer because I wanted to try LD because my partner (the same one) decided to ditch me. I couldn't stand it. After the first day I switched back to PF. I would like to stay on the team if possible because I was supposed to be team captain this year, but I don't know if it is worth it. I could always try OO but it doesn't involve any actual debating or research (which is what I enjoy about PF).

What does LD, PF, and OO stand for? Are you allowed to be a team of one?
katie.snappy
Posts: 108
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2015 12:58:02 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 8/18/2015 3:26:48 AM, Sarra wrote:
At 8/17/2015 3:45:44 PM, katie.snappy wrote:
At 8/17/2015 3:17:49 PM, OberHerr wrote:
TL;DR I'd decide if you want to swap to a different style, or quit.

I did a debate camp last summer because I wanted to try LD because my partner (the same one) decided to ditch me. I couldn't stand it. After the first day I switched back to PF. I would like to stay on the team if possible because I was supposed to be team captain this year, but I don't know if it is worth it. I could always try OO but it doesn't involve any actual debating or research (which is what I enjoy about PF).

What does LD, PF, and OO stand for? Are you allowed to be a team of one?

LD stands for Lincoln Douglas which is a single person debate event that is values-based. PF stands for Public Forum which is a fact-based team (2-person) debate event. OO stands for Original Oratory which is a speech event in which you (a single person) give a speech.
Lovetheworld4real
Posts: 25
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2015 6:35:35 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Well, first, look up "someone twenty times better than me" then hope nothing shows up. Show them the empty search page via screen shot or text. I would recommend you don't give up or quit. Show them what your made of. You're not twenty times worse after all that research! Don't give up and prove that your relentless and can pull this off. Put up a fight and don't back down! This is debate! You can do this!!
Live Love Laugh