Jump to topic:

Islamic Name Change

Oreo222
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2015 12:37:09 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
This is a question to my Muslim brothers and sisters. I'm interested in changing my name to something Islamic, but I'm not certain what it should be. Any suggestions?
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2015 1:23:22 AM
I don't understand why so many Muslim converts change their name. I think it makes them look overzealous.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2015 2:29:33 AM
At 8/23/2015 1:59:51 AM, tajshar2k wrote:
At 8/23/2015 1:24:31 AM, Mirza wrote:
Mirza. :)

I see you came back from your ban...
Very good observational skills there. :)
Yassine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2015 2:41:03 AM
At 8/23/2015 12:37:09 AM, Oreo222 wrote:

This is a question to my Muslim brothers and sisters. I'm interested in changing my name to something Islamic, but I'm not certain what it should be. Any suggestions?

- You can go with Yassine. ;)

- Why would you wanna change your original name?! Instead you can chose a nickname for yourself known to your muslim brothers, & leave your original name as is.
Current Debates:

Islam is not a religion of peace vs. @ Lutonator:
* http://www.debate.org...
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2015 2:44:18 AM
At 8/23/2015 2:41:03 AM, Yassine wrote:
A perfect suggestion has already been made, but I'm sure he appreciates your input.
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2015 2:46:26 AM

Muhammad.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
Yassine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2015 2:54:27 AM
At 8/23/2015 2:44:18 AM, Mirza wrote:
At 8/23/2015 2:41:03 AM, Yassine wrote:
A perfect suggestion has already been made, but I'm sure he appreciates your input.

- I get the joke. However, an Islamic name would either be from the Qur'an or belong to a companion of the Prophet. & that's what OP was asking about. Mirza is neither, whereas Yassine is obviously Qur'anic, given that it's a name of a Surah, & a varian name of the Prophet (pbuh). :-)
Current Debates:

Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2015 3:03:05 AM
At 8/23/2015 2:54:27 AM, Yassine wrote:
- I get the joke. However, an Islamic name would either be from the Qur'an or belong to a companion of the Prophet. & that's what OP was asking about. Mirza is neither, whereas Yassine is obviously Qur'anic, given that it's a name of a Surah, & a varian name of the Prophet (pbuh). :-)
It's a variant of Amir/Emir, which was a title of the Prophet. Does it count?
Yassine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2015 3:06:48 AM
At 8/23/2015 3:03:05 AM, Mirza wrote:

It's a variant of Amir/Emir, which was a title of the Prophet. Does it count?

- I did not know that, even though I still don't see how Mirza is a variant of Amir! Either way, Amir is not an Islamic name, it's an Arabic name as it simply means "ruler" or "prince".
Current Debates:

Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2015 3:15:51 AM
At 8/23/2015 3:06:48 AM, Yassine wrote:
- I did not know that, even though I still don't see how Mirza is a variant of Amir! Either way, Amir is not an Islamic name, it's an Arabic name as it simply means "ruler" or "prince".
"Mirza" comes from "Amirzade", meaning "Child of the Prince/ruler", and is a royal name. But, Amirzade itself has Arabic/semitic roots in Amir/amr. Anyway, if the title was used for the Prophet, why doesn't it count as an Islamic name? The titles for God are also names.
Yassine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2015 3:45:10 AM
At 8/23/2015 3:15:51 AM, Mirza wrote:
At 8/23/2015 3:06:48 AM, Yassine wrote:
"Mirza" comes from "Amirzade", meaning "Child of the Prince/ruler", and is a royal name. But, Amirzade itself has Arabic/semitic roots in Amir/amr.

- Alright, nice.

Anyway, if the title was used for the Prophet, why doesn't it count as an Islamic name?

- Amir means "ruler", it's not a personal title or a sobriquet. The prophet was also Q'adi (judge), Q'a'id (leader)...

The titles for God are also names.

- I am not sure what you mean by this. But, it's prohibited to name a person by God's names!
Current Debates:

Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2015 3:50:57 AM
At 8/23/2015 3:45:10 AM, Yassine wrote:
- Amir means "ruler", it's not a personal title or a sobriquet.
It's a title.

- I am not sure what you mean by this. But, it's prohibited to name a person by God's names!
Kabeer, Hakeem, etc., are all names of God, and applicable to humans.
Yassine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2015 3:59:24 AM
At 8/23/2015 3:50:57 AM, Mirza wrote:

It's a title.

- A title meaning "ruler", yes. The Prophet was also referred to as: Q'adi (judge), Qa'id (leader), 'Arabi (arab), Q'uarashi (from Quraysh), Hashimi (from Hashim), Malik (king)... though none of these are sobriquets.

Kabeer, Hakeem, etc., are all names of God, and applicable to humans.

- The names of Allah go like this: al-Kabeer, al-Hakeem... & it's absolutely prohibited to name creatures by these names. Instead, we generally add a 'Abd (slave) before the name, ex. 'Abd-Allah (slave of Allah), 'Abd-ar-Rahman (slave of ar-Rahman).
Current Debates:

Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2015 4:16:05 AM
At 8/23/2015 3:59:24 AM, Yassine wrote:
- The names of Allah go like this: al-Kabeer, al-Hakeem... & it's absolutely prohibited to name creatures by these names. Instead, we generally add a 'Abd (slave) before the name, ex. 'Abd-Allah (slave of Allah), 'Abd-ar-Rahman (slave of ar-Rahman).
The prefix is not allowed before a name like Kabeer, but the name itself is. Your example is poor, since Rahman is unique to God (it means "Most Merciful"), and thus cannot apply to a person. For instance, "King" in Arabic would be an appropriate name for a person; "King of Kings" would not, as its name implies a status that cannot be achieved by a human being.
shalal12
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2015 4:45:52 AM

Salam

Choose Muhammad or Yaseen they are both good names. Sajjad (the person who bows down a lot to his God) is also a good name. I will chose it for my son insha'allah. :)
Yassine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2015 4:46:03 AM
At 8/23/2015 4:16:05 AM, Mirza wrote:

The prefix is not allowed before a name like Kabeer, but the name itself is.

- Wat?!

Your example is poor, since Rahman is unique to God (it means "Most Merciful"), and thus cannot apply to a person.

- My example is perfectly fine. The difference in use comes from 'Sigha', it could be 'Sifa', 'Alam', 'Muafa9'a'... etc.

- What you were referring to are those names that are so unique & precise in meaning that they could not fit, even in description, other than Allah. Such as: Allah, or al-Ahad, or ar-Rahman... Ahad, for instance, is a particular derivative format that means: one, unique & uncountable, which coincidently can not be applied for any object, only to God. For that, it can only be used ordinarily as a negative format, such as in saying "la ahad" ('no one').

For instance, "King" in Arabic would be an appropriate name for a person; "King of Kings" would not, as its name implies a status that cannot be achieved by a human being.

- Not true. & I guessing you did some google research before you posted that. Don't worry, what I said is incontestable.
Current Debates:

Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2015 4:57:38 AM
At 8/23/2015 4:46:03 AM, Yassine wrote:
- Wat?!
If you use the definite article in front of "Karim", for instance, which would make it "al-Karim", you are transgressing the rules. Without the prefix, it is just "Karim", which is permissible.

- My example is perfectly fine. The difference in use comes from 'Sigha', it could be 'Sifa', 'Alam', 'Muafa9'a'... etc.
No, your example is stupid. A name like "King" is not the same as "King of Kings." A name like "the Merciful" is not the same as "the Most Merciful".

- What you were referring to are those names that are so unique & precise in meaning that they could not fit, even in description, other than Allah. Such as: Allah, or al-Ahad, or ar-Rahman... Ahad, for instance, is a particular derivative format that means: one, unique & uncountable, which coincidently can not be applied for any object, only to God. For that, it can only be used ordinarily as a negative format, such as in saying "la ahad" ('no one').
That's what I said. Those names are forbidden to use; other names are not. If you disagree, please provide a source. Danke sch"n. :)

For instance, "King" in Arabic would be an appropriate name for a person; "King of Kings" would not, as its name implies a status that cannot be achieved by a human being.

- Not true. & I guessing you did some google research before you posted that. Don't worry, what I said is incontestable.
Not a good way to showcase your inferiority complex, Ma'am. :) I don't Google my answers, nor is it necessary when addressing you. :D

Now go back to school. :)
Yassine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2015 5:01:50 AM
At 8/23/2015 4:57:38 AM, Mirza wrote:

- Mirza, I am afraid this is the end of this conversation. You're either trolling me (which would fit your usual sarcastic character, & that would be funny), or being insanely ridiculous about very Very VERY VEEERRYYYYY obvious things, to a 7 yo. Either way, I can't continue. Good luck naming your kid al-Hakeem.
Current Debates:

Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2015 5:05:10 AM
At 8/23/2015 5:01:50 AM, Yassine wrote:
At 8/23/2015 4:57:38 AM, Mirza wrote:

- Mirza, I am afraid this is the end of this conversation. You're either trolling me (which would fit your usual sarcastic character, & that would be funny), or being insanely ridiculous about very Very VERY VEEERRYYYYY obvious things, to a 7 yo. Either way, I can't continue. Good luck naming your kid al-Hakeem.
Oh God, you're so dumb it's incredible. AL-HAKEEM HAS A PREFIX IN FRONT OF IT, ERGO IT IS IMPERMISSIBLE. However, *Hakeem* is permissible, because it doesn't imply UNIQUENESS, which is God's only.

You're the first person to suggest that naming a child after one of Allah's names, which aren't by nature unique to him, is impermissible. Please provide a legitimate Islamic source backing up your position, and if you cannot - have fun. :)
Yassine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2015 5:16:00 AM
At 8/23/2015 5:05:10 AM, Mirza wrote:

Oh God, you're so dumb it's incredible. AL-HAKEEM HAS A PREFIX IN FRONT OF IT, ERGO IT IS IMPERMISSIBLE. However, *Hakeem* is permissible, because it doesn't imply UNIQUENESS, which is God's only.

- Oh! In that case we agree, I must have misunderstood you then. Though your reasoning is incorrect, I do get what're trying to say.

- This
"No, your example is stupid. A name like "King" is not the same as "King of Kings." A name like "the Merciful" is not the same as "the Most Merciful""
, however, is nonsense.

You're the first person to suggest that naming a child after one of Allah's names, which aren't by nature unique to him, is impermissible.
Please provide a legitimate Islamic source backing up your position, and if you cannot - have fun. :)

- That's ma'lum mina din biddarura, which means it's obligatory to know that.
Current Debates:

Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2015 5:21:40 AM
At 8/23/2015 5:16:00 AM, Yassine wrote:
- Oh! In that case we agree, I must have misunderstood you then.
Oh did you now? :(

Though your reasoning is incorrect, I do get what're trying to say.
It isn't. You not getting it is really just your issue.

- This
"No, your example is stupid. A name like "King" is not the same as "King of Kings." A name like "the Merciful" is not the same as "the Most Merciful""
, however, is nonsense.
No, it isn't. A King can be less powerful than other Kings, hence the title does not imply a status higher than that of all other men. King of Kings, however, does. It's simple. If you have such a status, you are unrivalled; but, only God is unrivalled.

- That's ma'lum mina din biddarura, which means it's obligatory to know that.
Obligatory to know what? The thing you just misunderstood? :( Or the thing you cannot provide a source for? :O
Yassine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2015 5:31:40 AM
At 8/23/2015 5:21:40 AM, Mirza wrote:

Oh did you now? :(

-_-

It isn't. You not getting it is really just your issue.

- I am not gonna argue with you about Arabic. I feel like a physicist trying to argue with a 5 yo about the his poor understanding of Quantum Physics. No offence to you, I too know nothing about the Bosnian language.

No, it isn't. A King can be less powerful than other Kings, hence the title does not imply a status higher than that of all other men. King of Kings, however, does. It's simple. If you have such a status, you are unrivalled; but, only God is unrivalled.

- As I said, I am fairly sure you're looking this up, because I know where it's coming from. Unfortunately, it's not what you think.

Obligatory to know what? The thing you just misunderstood? :( Or the thing you cannot provide a source for? :O

- Mirza, you're making a mountain out of a molehill. The issue is so basic & simple, it's not even worth arguing about. You're not gonna argue with me how many daily prayers are there next, are you?! I surely hope not.
Current Debates:

Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2015 5:39:43 AM
At 8/23/2015 5:31:40 AM, Yassine wrote:
- I am not gonna argue with you about Arabic. I feel like a physicist trying to argue with a 5 yo about the his poor understanding of Quantum Physics. No offence to you, I too know nothing about the Bosnian language.
This isn't an argument about the general structure of the Arabic language, but one about the specific Islamic rules concerning the names of God and their applicability to humans. And it's an argument you're losing. :)

- As I said, I am fairly sure you're looking this up, because I know where it's coming from. Unfortunately, it's not what you think.
I've known this for years, and other people using the same example doesn't really say anything. :)

- Mirza, you're making a mountain out of a molehill. The issue is so basic & simple, it's not even worth arguing about. You're not gonna argue with me how many daily prayers are there next, are you?! I surely hope not.
It's so simple that a) you misunderstood it and admitted to it, and b) cannot back your claim up with a single source. It doesn't really matter what you know about Arabic when you are so ignorant about this simple rule (or non-rule) concerning names.

Anyway, a one-way ticket from Europe to somewhere you belong: http://global.cheapflights.com... I'll pay. :)
ShabShoral
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2015 5:41:13 AM
At 8/23/2015 5:39:43 AM, Mirza wrote:

Anyway, a one-way ticket from Europe to somewhere you belong: http://global.cheapflights.com... I'll pay. :)

This was incredibly clever. Bravo, Sir.
"This site is trash as a debate site. It's club penguin for dysfunctional adults."

~ Skepsikyma <3

"Your idea of good writing is like Spinoza mixed with Heidegger."

~ Dylly Dylly Cat Cat

"You seem to aspire to be a cross between a Jewish hipster, an old school WASP aristocrat, and a political iconoclast"

~ Thett the Mighty

"fvck omg ur face"

~ Liz

"No aspect of your facial structure suggests Filipino descent."
~ YYW
Yassine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2015 5:46:49 AM
At 8/23/2015 5:39:43 AM, Mirza wrote:
At 8/23/2015 5:31:40 AM, Yassine wrote:
This isn't an argument about the general structure of the Arabic language, but one about the specific Islamic rules concerning the names of God and their applicability to humans. And it's an argument you're losing. :)

I've known this for years, and other people using the same example doesn't really say anything. :)

It's so simple that a) you misunderstood it and admitted to it, and b) cannot back your claim up with a single source. It doesn't really matter what you know about Arabic when you are so ignorant about this simple rule (or non-rule) concerning names.

- The smilies tho! Long story short, I think you got an OK grasp on the issue, & that's enough for me. No need to argue on nothing, it's pitiful. :-)
Current Debates:

Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2015 5:52:12 AM
At 8/23/2015 5:46:49 AM, Yassine wrote:
- The smilies tho! Long story short, I think you got an OK grasp on the issue, & that's enough for me. No need to argue on nothing, it's pitiful. :-)
Remember to e-mail the plane number to me so I can follow the trip. :) http://www.flightradar24.com...
Yassine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2015 5:57:58 AM
At 8/23/2015 5:52:12 AM, Mirza wrote:

Remember to e-mail the plane number to me so I can follow the trip. :) http://www.flightradar24.com...

- Sure, it's the yellow one.
Current Debates: