Jump to topic:

Personality Disorders.

Unbelievable.Time
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2015 2:02:49 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I wonder if anyone here has any of them? As for me, I have paranoid personality disorder. Which is quite common.
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2015 6:36:13 PM
At 8/23/2015 2:02:49 PM, Unbelievable.Time wrote:
I wonder if anyone here has any of them? As for me, I have paranoid personality disorder. Which is quite common.

Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (self-diagnosis).
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2015 8:31:25 PM

I think the psychiatric community is a joke. Why the hell are certain personalities a disorder, while others are "normal"?
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2015 9:09:16 PM
At 8/23/2015 8:31:25 PM, Wylted wrote:

I think the psychiatric community is a joke. Why the hell are certain personalities a disorder, while others are "normal"?

Sociopathic personality is normal?

The DDO Blog:

Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2015 9:13:09 PM
At 8/23/2015 9:09:16 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

Sociopathic personality is normal?

I know a lot of them are harmless, but it may be more normal than you think with anywhere between 2-4 percent of the population having it, on a side note. I don't even consider those people human.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2015 12:46:37 AM

Because the field of mental health says so.... which is, of course, bullsh!t. The DSM-5 is, in many parts, complete trash.

I'm not anti-mental health, though, because there is considerable evidence that things like antidepressants can really help people, and helping people is what I'm most concerned with. But the methods by which psychiatry exists, regulates itself, and defines disorders (something I could elaborate on more thoroughly if anyone was interested) is nothing less than a complete farce.
Tsar of DDO
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2015 1:02:46 AM
At 8/24/2015 12:46:37 AM, YYW wrote:

Because the field of mental health says so.... which is, of course, bullsh!t. The DSM-5 is, in many parts, complete trash.

I'm not anti-mental health, though, because there is considerable evidence that things like antidepressants can really help people, and helping people is what I'm most concerned with. But the methods by which psychiatry exists, regulates itself, and defines disorders (something I could elaborate on more thoroughly if anyone was interested) is nothing less than a complete farce.

I think we agree with that, some people do have legitimate problems that need to be addressed, but I think it's wrong to stigmatize people merely because of their personality, such as being autistic. Some people like the way they are. It's not a disorder, if it doesn't really hurt your quality of life and you like the way you are.

I hear in many countries they completely ignore the DSM and use other manuals, because the DSM has stupid stuff listed as mental illnesses, such as coffee addiction. It also seems that new disorders are just made up sometimes, to reflect new drugs that come out. If a drug comes out that has a side effect of making people sleepy and stop scratching their balls, magically you'll see a disorder with the symptoms of ball scratching and insomnia pop up.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2015 1:04:03 AM
At 8/24/2015 1:02:46 AM, Wylted wrote:
At 8/24/2015 12:46:37 AM, YYW wrote:

I think we agree with that, some people do have legitimate problems that need to be addressed, but I think it's wrong to stigmatize people merely because of their personality, such as being autistic. Some people like the way they are. It's not a disorder, if it doesn't really hurt your quality of life and you like the way you are.

I hear in many countries they completely ignore the DSM and use other manuals, because the DSM has stupid stuff listed as mental illnesses, such as coffee addiction. It also seems that new disorders are just made up sometimes, to reflect new drugs that come out. If a drug comes out that has a side effect of making people sleepy and stop scratching their balls, magically you'll see a disorder with the symptoms of ball scratching and insomnia pop up.

The EU thinks American psychology/psychiatry is a farce, although I think the Europeans are as bad as the Americans.

Mental health is a precarious subject, though, to be sure.
Tsar of DDO
Unbelievable.Time
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2015 9:45:04 AM
At 8/23/2015 6:36:13 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

So, what is your cause of having it?
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2015 6:19:20 PM
At 8/24/2015 9:45:04 AM, Unbelievable.Time wrote:

I don't really understand the question. Something in my brain, presumably.

The DDO Blog:

Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2015 9:52:49 PM
At 8/24/2015 6:19:20 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
At 8/24/2015 9:45:04 AM, Unbelievable.Time wrote:

I don't really understand the question. Something in my brain, presumably.

Like an alien in your brain?
kasmic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2015 10:02:58 PM

Interesting comment. I think "normal" means just that.... normal. That doesnt imply better, or worse. Just more common.

Some "disorders" are harmful, but I think others are just uncommon. Not the typical order... that is to say... disorder.
"Liberalism Defined" http://www.debate.org...
"The Social Contract" http://www.debate.org...
"Intro to IR An Open Discussion" http://www.debate.org...

Check out my website, the Sensible Soapbox http://www.sensiblesoapbox.com...
My latest article: http://www.sensiblesoapbox.com...
Unbelievable.Time
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2015 10:58:04 PM
At 8/24/2015 10:02:58 PM, kasmic wrote:

Interesting comment. I think "normal" means just that.... normal. That doesnt imply better, or worse. Just more common.

Some "disorders" are harmful, but I think others are just uncommon. Not the typical order... that is to say... disorder.

The normal is just some kind of fashion claim by the ordinary people.