Jump to topic:

Need Some Help

Hayd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2015 1:53:16 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
So today my Biology teacher ordered us all to pub back our humongous biology back to school so try could rip out a couple pages. Since the school board is all Christian and conservative, they forced the district to have all biology ripped of the page talking about abortions. All the pages do is give us information such as side affects of certain abortion pills. They say it's against Christian religion. I want to go all activist on them and go Fahrenheit 451 on them, but I'm not sure how. I feel like sayin it's against my religion cuz I'm pastafarian but Idk, help plz! It first hour now and biology is 4 hour!
mishapqueen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2015 2:14:04 PM
At 8/26/2015 1:53:16 PM, Hayd wrote:
So today my Biology teacher ordered us all to pub back our humongous biology back to school so try could rip out a couple pages. Since the school board is all Christian and conservative, they forced the district to have all biology ripped of the page talking about abortions. All the pages do is give us information such as side affects of certain abortion pills. They say it's against Christian religion. I want to go all activist on them and go Fahrenheit 451 on them, but I'm not sure how. I feel like sayin it's against my religion cuz I'm pastafarian but Idk, help plz! It first hour now and biology is 4 hour!

I'm a Christian Conservative against abortion, but I think we needed to be aware of the world around us. We can't just go in a little bubble and shelter ourselves from the world. You might say something to that affect. It might be persuasive to them that if students learn how it works then they will be better equipped to fight it.
You cannot choose whether or not you will live by rules, but you can choose which rules you will live by. --Me

"I was wrong. Squirrels are objectively superior to bunnies in every conceivable dimension."
--Joey

"Silence is golden, duct tape is silver" --PetersSmith

Nunc aut Numquam
August_Burns_Red
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2015 10:39:17 PM

I don't believe a word of your story. No school would have you rip out pages i a textbook they didn't agree with. They would just have different books in the first place.
You need to also Study more English as well as Biology since your post was almost incomprehensible. At first I thought it was one of the Spambot posts like over on the lame Health Forum that are garbled on purpose to get past the firewalls. LOL.

God Bless, kid.
Tomorrow's forecast: God reigns and the Son shines!
Hayd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2015 12:46:04 AM
At 8/27/2015 10:39:17 PM, August_Burns_Red wrote:

I don't believe a word of your story. No school would have you rip out pages i a textbook they didn't agree with. They would just have different books in the first place.
You need to also Study more English as well as Biology since your post was almost incomprehensible. At first I thought it was one of the Spambot posts like over on the lame Health Forum that are garbled on purpose to get past the firewalls. LOL.

God Bless, kid.

Its true. I got my book back with the page ripped out about abortion and my friend found that a few pages of the evolution part had been ripped out as well.

As far as the grammar, I apologize but I was speed typing on a bus going to school and I didnt read it over, Annie already got on my case about that. I dont know what the purpose of your post was exactly except point out I had grammar mistakes and imply I'm stupid.

God Bless!
n7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2015 12:49:05 AM

Do you go to a private Christian school?
404 coherent debate topic not found. Please restart the debate with clear resolution.

Uphold Marxist-Leninist-Maoist-Sargonist-n7ism.
Hayd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2015 12:49:45 AM
At 8/28/2015 12:49:05 AM, n7 wrote:

Public school
n7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2015 12:54:52 AM
At 8/28/2015 12:49:45 AM, Hayd wrote:

Public school

I don't know where you live, but if you're in the US you may want to contact the freedom from religion foundation.
http://ffrf.org...
404 coherent debate topic not found. Please restart the debate with clear resolution.

Uphold Marxist-Leninist-Maoist-Sargonist-n7ism.
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2015 7:04:31 PM
So today my Biology teacher ordered us all to [pull] back our humongous biology [book] to school so try could rip out a couple pages. ...

There is nothing practical you can do directly as a student, and nothing you can do in four hours. I think what you should do is alert someone outside of the school system who can go bare knuckles with them. The Freedom from Religion organization is a good idea, but someone local would better. Maybe you know of someone in the town who's notorious for fighting these issues, or you might ask the local Democratic Party organization. You might find a facebook page for a local group that's interested in such issues. The reason that someone local is better is that they can argue that they are personally affected. But don't fight directly, you'll just get stomped with no positive effect.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2015 7:56:38 PM
At 8/28/2015 7:04:31 PM, RoyLatham wrote:
So today my Biology teacher ordered us all to [pull] back our humongous biology [book] to school so try could rip out a couple pages. ...

There is nothing practical you can do directly as a student, and nothing you can do in four hours. I think what you should do is alert someone outside of the school system who can go bare knuckles with them. The Freedom from Religion organization is a good idea, but someone local would better. Maybe you know of someone in the town who's notorious for fighting these issues, or you might ask the local Democratic Party organization. You might find a facebook page for a local group that's interested in such issues. The reason that someone local is better is that they can argue that they are personally affected. But don't fight directly, you'll just get stomped with no positive effect.

This is very good advice.
Tsar of DDO
fazz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2015 2:12:57 AM

Public school

What did you end up doing?

FYI here is the ffrf's phone number: 608-256-8900
Hayd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2015 2:40:58 AM
At 8/29/2015 2:12:57 AM, fazz wrote:

Public school

I ended up contacting the media, I have not gotten a reply back yet from any.
UtherPenguin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2015 3:24:29 AM

How does learning about abortion go against Christianity? It's not like the textbook is endorsing abortion, they're just educating people about it.

I'm not sure how you could contact the media in the US. But you could try and conteact the CBC by "going public" http://www.cbc.ca... Just submit the information of the incident below the column saying "submit your story"
"Praise Allah."
~YYW
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2015 1:10:29 PM

Do your local education authorities have some sort of system that handles complaints? If the school is shying away from teaching stuff that the government clearly stated as necessary in the curriculum, they may be happy to handle your complaint...
The thing is, I hate relativism. I hate relativism more than I hate everything else, excepting, maybe, fibreglass powerboats... What it overlooks, to put it briefly and crudely, is the fixed structure of human nature. - Jerry Fodor

Don't be a stat cynic:
http://www.debate.org...

Response to conservative views on deforestation:
http://www.debate.org...

Topics I'd like to debate (not debating ATM): http://tinyurl.com...
fazz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2015 2:43:53 PM
At 8/29/2015 2:40:58 AM, Hayd wrote:

Public school

Which state are you in?
Hayd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2015 3:00:11 PM
At 8/29/2015 1:10:29 PM, Diqiucun_Cunmin wrote:

Do your local education authorities have some sort of system that handles complaints? If the school is shying away from teaching stuff that the government clearly stated as necessary in the curriculum, they may be happy to handle your complaint...

The government is in on it. They passed a law about it and the school took it a step further. I doubt the government would help.
Hayd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2015 3:00:36 PM
At 8/29/2015 2:43:53 PM, fazz wrote:

Public school

Which state are you in?

AZ
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2015 1:12:52 AM
At 8/29/2015 3:00:36 PM, Hayd wrote:
At 8/29/2015 2:43:53 PM, fazz wrote:

Public school

Which state are you in?

AZ

"The board did so after urging by a religious group called Alliance Defending Freedom. The group complained that pages in the book that discussed contraception and abortion violated the law. The board said it would alter the textbook by either ripping the offending pages out or pasting new images in."

"Soon after, the board changed their minds. Kishimoto told MSNBC that she worked with the board to come to a compromise, and that is how the sticker idea was born."

http://www.buzzfeed.com...
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12