Jump to topic:

To find your purpose.

lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2015 11:55:48 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Many people try to go out there and find out what are they to do in life. Why are we here? What's our purpose. Many people write millions of books on the subject that are deep and philosophical. This is not the case though. When people look back at your life or at your funeral, what do you want them to say? Here are some questions that can help you answer that question.

Who am I (referring to the person asking the question)?

What do I like to do?

Who do I do it for?

Why do you do it?

How does it affect other people?

Say for example I wanted to be a doctor. So the finial answer would be "I save people's lives to make the world a better place." That sounds a lot better than just saying "I'm a doctor." You want to find purpose in life, ask yourself these questions.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2015 12:37:35 PM
I don't like imagining your funeral, because I think it forces you to focus on accolades instead of what you actually enjoy. I'll get more into the purpose of life later, but it's very illusive and every year I learn more of what it's not as opposed to what it is, and I can tell you the funeral visualization is good for helping you appreciate the moment, but bad if it forces you to go after accolades.
Lee001
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2015 6:26:19 PM
For me, there really is no purpose. I mean, you're here to endure heartache and pain, occasionally happiness. You grow older, do what you want in life, then you die. That's it.
"Condoms are societal constructs created by the government to restrain 'Murican freedom!"-SolonKR

"But I jest and digress (sick rhymes, yo); every boob is equal in the eyes of the Lord."- SolonKR

"Oh Hey, Seeing Artichokes Makes Me Want to Have Sex."- SolonKR

"Yep, but anyone who touches my hair immediately ascends to the heavens..You're already an angel, so touching my hair can do nothing <3" -SolonKR

My hubby Hayd <3 <3
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2015 6:34:59 PM
At 8/28/2015 12:37:35 PM, Wylted wrote:
I don't like imagining your funeral, because I think it forces you to focus on accolades instead of what you actually enjoy. I'll get more into the purpose of life later, but it's very illusive and every year I learn more of what it's not as opposed to what it is, and I can tell you the funeral visualization is good for helping you appreciate the moment, but bad if it forces you to go after accolades.

It's simple. For example, I like computers, so it would be.

I'm Lannan13, I fix computers for other people to help them out and improve their success. So overall my purpose would be, "I maximize computer capability for the maximum possible excess for all." That sounds better than just saying, I'm lannan13 and I'm an IT guy.

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2015 6:35:30 PM
At 8/28/2015 5:28:04 PM, XLAV wrote:
Biologically, a human's purpose is to survive and to reproduce.

Well biologically and religiously, yes, but philosophically no.

Lee308
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2015 9:40:09 PM

LOL, I managed to not reproduce, I'm very proud of that, the world is a terrible place.
Why bring more people into a terrible place?
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2015 10:36:29 PM
At 8/28/2015 9:40:09 PM, Lee308 wrote:

LOL, I managed to not reproduce, I'm very proud of that, the world is a terrible place.

Then why are you here then? By that standard YOU are a terrible person.

Lee308
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2015 11:02:11 PM
At 8/28/2015 10:36:29 PM, lannan13 wrote:

I may be a terrible person, but I have the very proud life achevment of not causing pain on another person.
My parents caused me HUGE amounts of pain by birthing me, who do I blame, god or them?
Lee308
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2015 11:03:41 PM
At 8/28/2015 11:02:11 PM, Lee308 wrote:

I may be a terrible person, but I have the very proud life achevment of not causing pain on another person.
My parents caused me HUGE amounts of pain by birthing me, who do I blame, god or them?
PS, I wish I had never been born.
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2015 11:07:07 PM

Wrong, you see that would be direct pain. You are forgetting about indirect pain.

You would have born regardless.

Varrack
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2015 11:13:43 PM
I think "who am I?" is the biggest philosophical question of all time. Finding one's purpose attributes to that a lot, which is why I think it is an important thing to ponder on.

I don't think I can adequately answer this question without it being from a religious standpoint, since it would focus on life on earth as one tiny part of all eternity, and that this life would be a step in the process of progression that expands outside of earth. However, if we were to focus on our life here alone, one's purpose could probably be found by what one is good at and what they can accomplish. Whether it be through relationships, a career, or some sort of opportunity. Some sort of contribution to society would probably be sufficient.
Lee308
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2015 12:15:38 AM
At 8/28/2015 11:07:07 PM, lannan13 wrote:

Wrong, you see that would be direct pain. You are forgetting about indirect pain.

You would have born regardless.

???????????????????????????????????????????????? please try again, that makes no sense.
I wish I had never been born, who is to blame? god or my parents, both dead now.
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2015 5:22:42 AM
A person's only purpose is to live. I think that to limit that to being a doctor or a computer worker is horribly suffocating. Like the sudden extinction of a thousand possibilities glistening on the horizon. In defining life, in ordering in, in entrapping it in rigid forms and set modes of action, we rob it of this entrancing sense of vitality that throbs beneath the surface. I think that in taking some limited 'purpose' into our hands, we lift our finger from the pulse of this world, and become deaf to the grand scheme of things, to the wonder. In a sense, delineation is a precursor to alienation.

"Query: How to contrive not to waste one's time?
Answer: By being fully aware of it all the while.
Ways in which this can be done: By spending one's days on an uneasy chair in a dentist's waiting room; by remaining on one's balcony all a Sunday afternoon; by travelling by the longest and least-convenient train routes, and of course standing all the way; by queueing at the box-office of theatres and then not booking a seat."
- Tarrou's Notebook, The Plague -
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
Sapphique
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2015 5:42:10 AM
At 8/29/2015 5:22:42 AM, Skepsikyma wrote:

O_o I think you might be one of the most eloquent people on the site.
DDO Beginners' Mafia Moderator -- PM me if you'd like to learn how to play mafia!

"We wondered what happiness would look like if we could give it a physical form...the shape of happiness might resemble glass...even though you don't usually notice it, it's still definitely there. You merely have to change your point of view slightly, and then that glass will sparkle when it reflects the light. I doubt that anything else could argue its own existence more eloquently." ~Lelouch
fromantle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2015 8:00:31 AM
I think you will find for most people that have sufficient their purpose is to enjoy life and be good to their family and friends. The problem that many have is the grass is greener .
They feel , no matter what their station in life , they need more money.
I have yet to meet anyone who has enough. They see money as a major key to enjoyment and dream of what they could do with more.
This struggle for more is what runs the world and it is a reflection of survival of the fittest Some manage to escape by dedication , perhaps to medicine or religion but these pursuits are also tainted with the brush of reward.
Great thinkers have pointed the finger at the self or the ego and sought by all sorts of methods to eliminate it. Let me say while you live it is housed within .
JMcKinley
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2015 4:51:52 PM

If you're mentally sound then I blame you for being a downer about everything, and not appreciating the good that life does have to offer.

If you're not, then I blame a chemical imbalance in your brain for ruining your outlook.
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2015 12:53:38 PM
At 8/31/2015 4:51:52 PM, JMcKinley wrote:

If you're mentally sound then I blame you for being a downer about everything, and not appreciating the good that life does have to offer.

If you're not, then I blame a chemical imbalance in your brain for ruining your outlook.

Please try not to feed the trolls.