Total Posts:15|Showing Posts:1-15
Jump to topic:

Should I punish myself to pay for my sins?

Mobutu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2015 11:37:55 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I have been pondering the issue for some time now but should I punish myself for my sins. Occasionally when watching tv the adverts are obscene and contain much lewdness. And yet I still look and I lust for it. Am I a wicked person? Should I hurt myself for it?
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2015 12:31:07 AM
At 9/1/2015 11:37:55 PM, Mobutu wrote:
I have been pondering the issue for some time now but should I punish myself for my sins. Occasionally when watching tv the adverts are obscene and contain much lewdness. And yet I still look and I lust for it. Am I a wicked person? Should I hurt myself for it?

No, you are not an gostnic. That's the thing that people commonly mistake about Christians. They don't give two sh*ts about your soul. They care about your body. Just look to Ireanus.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Mobutu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2015 12:35:23 AM
At 9/2/2015 12:31:07 AM, lannan13 wrote:

No, you are not an gostnic. That's the thing that people commonly mistake about Christians. They don't give two sh*ts about your soul. They care about your body. Just look to Ireanus.

I was never considering gnosticism. Infact I had never heard of it before now.
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2015 12:40:45 AM
At 9/2/2015 12:35:23 AM, Mobutu wrote:

Gnosticism is generally the Christian Heritic view that God has enlightentend you and given you abilities, but you need to get them to your soul and your body is in the way. So every time you do something bad or any time in general you punish your body so that God's enlightenment might seep into your soul.

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

Mobutu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2015 12:41:58 AM
At 9/2/2015 12:40:45 AM, lannan13 wrote:

Gnosticism is generally the Christian Heritic view that God has enlightentend you and given you abilities, but you need to get them to your soul and your body is in the way. So every time you do something bad or any time in general you punish your body so that God's enlightenment might seep into your soul.

It's more to try to stop me doing the sin than anything else.
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2015 12:45:11 AM
At 9/2/2015 12:41:58 AM, Mobutu wrote:
At 9/2/2015 12:40:45 AM, lannan13 wrote:

It's more to try to stop me doing the sin than anything else.

Well it depends on the sin and the punishment that you are concidering. One can realize that no matter what you do to yourself it won't really make a difference. That's like a criminal hurting themselves so they can show the judge they've punished themselves.

TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2015 11:34:18 PM

Don't do this. At first I thought you were trolling, but I looked at some of your posts and think you are being sincere.

Despite my personal religious... Feelings, I seriously can't accept that God wants you to hurt yourself because of what you watch on tv. Does this really make any sense to you?
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2015 12:24:00 AM

Punishment is for God. It is written many times in the bible that God has commanded "Let vengeance be mine". Forgive yourself, and ask for forgiveness. You'll be forgiven if you're sincere and actually move on from your behavior.

Also, Lannan is generalizing gnostic beliefs and for the most part, is wrong.
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2015 2:08:52 PM
At 9/3/2015 12:24:00 AM, Wylted wrote:

Punishment is for God. It is written many times in the bible that God has commanded "Let vengeance be mine". Forgive yourself, and ask for forgiveness. You'll be forgiven if you're sincere and actually move on from your behavior.

I'm referring to 5th century Gnosticism. I have no idea what it is today.

Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2015 2:59:21 PM
At 9/3/2015 2:08:52 PM, lannan13 wrote:
At 9/3/2015 12:24:00 AM, Wylted wrote:

I'm referring to 5th century Gnosticism. I have no idea what it is today.

I'm referring to 1st century Gnostics.
Todd0611
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2015 3:30:09 PM

I'm not a bible scholar, but from what I've learned over the years, is that forgiveness of sins is one of the greatest gifts God can give you. We were born with a sin nature (Read what Paul says in the bible about sin), Paul states something like, "I do the things I don't want to do, and don't do the things I should". I believe in Romans, it says, "all have sinned, and fallen short of the glory of God". In our society today, we are bombarded with sexual images, and lustful advertising, however, sex in of itself is not wrong. Meaning for me, since I am a Christian, I have, and enjoy sex tremendously with my wife, and only my wife. Do I think other women are sexy and beautiful, of course, but I am committed to my marriage, and so I do not act on lustful impulses. I seriously don't believe that God condones inflicting pain on yourself, even if the intent is to dissuade you from future sin. Pray, and ask for forgiveness, and He will give it, recognize that you struggle with lust, and ask for the strength to not give in to your fleshly desires. That's how/what I believe.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2015 4:11:07 PM

It is your religion that is causing all the grief, nothing more. Give up your religion and you'll be fine.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
Mobutu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2015 5:43:53 PM
At 9/4/2015 4:11:07 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

It is your religion that is causing all the grief, nothing more. Give up your religion and you'll be fine.

Dreaded atheist! Be gone I say!
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2015 5:52:06 PM
At 9/4/2015 5:43:53 PM, Mobutu wrote:
At 9/4/2015 4:11:07 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

Dreaded atheist! Be gone I say!

Fine, be miserable.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
Huntress
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2015 2:38:01 AM
Ooo, kinky!

In all seriousness though, I don't subscribe the medieval Catholic traditions of hair-shirts and punishments. I don't recall Jesus ever making anyone pay some kind of penance. He said, "Go and sin no more." If you believe something is immoral, then try your best to avoid it in the future. And as 1 John 1:7 tell us, "his blood cleanses us from all sin", so what further redemptive act is necessary?

Otherwise, I see you're an Anglican, if you're still struggling with these issues talk to your parents and/or priest.