Total Posts:21|Showing Posts:1-21
Jump to topic:

Rate me 2.0

kasmic
Posts: 1,324
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2015 8:45:39 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
This is the second time I have done something like this.

General Assessment: Please rate me on the following from 1-5

A: Skill as a debater

1. Ability to present an argument ( )
2. Ability to present strong rebuttals ( )
3. Ability to sway voters ( )
4. Ability to be convincing ( )

B: Character

1. Ability to be a good sport
2. Ability to take a loss graciously

What are two things that I should focus on to improve as a debater?

1:
2:

What is my strongest category? i.e. politics, philosophy, religion etc.

What is my weakest category?

Thanks for the feedback!
"Liberalism Defined" http://www.debate.org...
"The Social Contract" http://www.debate.org...
"Intro to IR An Open Discussion" http://www.debate.org...

Check out my website, the Sensible Soapbox http://www.sensiblesoapbox.com...
My latest article: http://www.sensiblesoapbox.com...
Kozu
Posts: 381
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2015 10:36:07 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/3/2015 8:45:39 PM, kasmic wrote:
This is the second time I have done something like this.

General Assessment: Please rate me on the following from 1-5

A: Skill as a debater

Not that I really believe in giving 5's. I look at it more like, 0-4. You say 1-5, but I'm going to give a 0 if I feel like it.

1. Ability to present an argument (3)
2. Ability to present strong rebuttals (3)
3. Ability to sway voters (2)
4. Ability to be convincing (2)

B: Character

1. Ability to be a good sport
2. Ability to take a loss graciously

I guess I'd give you a 5 for these. You take it so well it's worrisome. It's okay to complain.

What are two things that I should focus on to improve as a debater?

1: Take your opinion out. Sometime you'll mention how hilarious your opponents argument is. That's not really necessary. Really anything that isn't directly linking to your arguments isn't needed.

You should sound like a soulless robot.

2: Don't tell your opponent what they need to do. Kinda like what I did to you in our debate.


What is my strongest category?

Religion

What is my weakest category?

Fashion

Thanks for the feedback!
Ye
lannan13
Posts: 23,111
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2015 10:49:46 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/3/2015 8:45:39 PM, kasmic wrote:
This is the second time I have done something like this.

General Assessment: Please rate me on the following from 1-5

A: Skill as a debater

1. Ability to present an argument (8 )
2. Ability to present strong rebuttals (6 )
3. Ability to sway voters (7 )
4. Ability to be convincing ( 6)

B: Character

1. Ability to be a good sport 9
2. Ability to take a loss graciously 7

What are two things that I should focus on to improve as a debater?

1: Grammar skills.
2: Use better sources.

What is my strongest category? i.e. politics, philosophy, religion etc.
Politics

What is my weakest category?
Cars

Thanks for the feedback!
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
kasmic
Posts: 1,324
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2015 10:57:46 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
What is my weakest category?

Fashion


Haha...
"Liberalism Defined" http://www.debate.org...
"The Social Contract" http://www.debate.org...
"Intro to IR An Open Discussion" http://www.debate.org...

Check out my website, the Sensible Soapbox http://www.sensiblesoapbox.com...
My latest article: http://www.sensiblesoapbox.com...
kasmic
Posts: 1,324
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2015 10:59:07 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
What are two things that I should focus on to improve as a debater?

1: Grammar skills.
2: Use better sources.

I kinda feel like its the copy paste from word that messes up most of my grammar. Is the sources thing about my willingness to use Wikipedia? haha

Thanks for the feedback.
"Liberalism Defined" http://www.debate.org...
"The Social Contract" http://www.debate.org...
"Intro to IR An Open Discussion" http://www.debate.org...

Check out my website, the Sensible Soapbox http://www.sensiblesoapbox.com...
My latest article: http://www.sensiblesoapbox.com...
kasmic
Posts: 1,324
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2015 11:01:57 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
What are two things that I should focus on to improve as a debater?

1: Take your opinion out. Sometime you'll mention how hilarious your opponents argument is. That's not really necessary. Really anything that isn't directly linking to your arguments isn't needed.

You should sound like a soulless robot.

Noted, great feedback.
"Liberalism Defined" http://www.debate.org...
"The Social Contract" http://www.debate.org...
"Intro to IR An Open Discussion" http://www.debate.org...

Check out my website, the Sensible Soapbox http://www.sensiblesoapbox.com...
My latest article: http://www.sensiblesoapbox.com...
Kozu
Posts: 381
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2015 11:22:51 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/3/2015 11:01:57 PM, kasmic wrote:
What are two things that I should focus on to improve as a debater?

1: Take your opinion out. Sometime you'll mention how hilarious your opponents argument is. That's not really necessary. Really anything that isn't directly linking to your arguments isn't needed.

You should sound like a soulless robot.

Noted, great feedback.

Yea that part about being a soulless robot. Pro tip.
kasmic
Posts: 1,324
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2015 11:30:21 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/3/2015 11:22:51 PM, Kozu wrote:
At 9/3/2015 11:01:57 PM, kasmic wrote:
What are two things that I should focus on to improve as a debater?

1: Take your opinion out. Sometime you'll mention how hilarious your opponents argument is. That's not really necessary. Really anything that isn't directly linking to your arguments isn't needed.

You should sound like a soulless robot.

Noted, great feedback.

Yea that part about being a soulless robot. Pro tip.

Often people tell me the opposite... that I am very boring to read because it is like a text book haha.
"Liberalism Defined" http://www.debate.org...
"The Social Contract" http://www.debate.org...
"Intro to IR An Open Discussion" http://www.debate.org...

Check out my website, the Sensible Soapbox http://www.sensiblesoapbox.com...
My latest article: http://www.sensiblesoapbox.com...
Kozu
Posts: 381
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2015 11:42:39 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/3/2015 11:30:21 PM, kasmic wrote:
At 9/3/2015 11:22:51 PM, Kozu wrote:
At 9/3/2015 11:01:57 PM, kasmic wrote:
What are two things that I should focus on to improve as a debater?

1: Take your opinion out. Sometime you'll mention how hilarious your opponents argument is. That's not really necessary. Really anything that isn't directly linking to your arguments isn't needed.

You should sound like a soulless robot.

Noted, great feedback.

Yea that part about being a soulless robot. Pro tip.

Often people tell me the opposite... that I am very boring to read because it is like a text book haha.

That's their problem.
FourTrouble
Posts: 12,777
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2015 1:15:28 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
I strongly disagree with the soulless robot thing - I think you could even do with adding more soul to your arguments.

I think the top debaters on this site generally give their arguments lots of character.
ColeTrain
Posts: 4,325
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2015 4:04:03 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/3/2015 8:45:39 PM, kasmic wrote:
This is the second time I have done something like this.

General Assessment: Please rate me on the following from 1-5

A: Skill as a debater

1. Ability to present an argument (3)
2. Ability to present strong rebuttals ( 2.75)
3. Ability to sway voters (3)
4. Ability to be convincing (3.25)

B: Character

1. Ability to be a good sport (5)
2. Ability to take a loss graciously (5)
(Excellent job here)

What are two things that I should focus on to improve as a debater?

1: Utilize longer character limits to expand and enforce your points/rebuttals
2: Idk

What is my strongest category? i.e. politics, philosophy, religion etc.
Definitely philosophy

What is my weakest category?
Sports. :P Idk

Thanks for the feedback!
No prob. :)

Would you consider PM'ing the same about me, to me? ;P
"The right to 360 noscope noobs shall not be infringed!!!" -- tajshar2k
"So, to start off, I've never committed suicide." -- Vaarka
"I eat glue." -- brontoraptor
"I mean, at this rate, I'd argue for a ham sandwich presidency." -- ResponsiblyIrresponsible
"Overthrow Assad, heil jihad." -- 16kadams when trolling in hangout
"Hillary Clinton is not my favorite person ... and her campaign is as inspiring as a bowl of cottage cheese." -- YYW
ClashnBoom
Posts: 886
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2015 5:14:23 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/3/2015 8:45:39 PM, kasmic wrote:
This is the second time I have done something like this.

General Assessment: Please rate me on the following from 1-5

A: Skill as a debater

1. Ability to present an argument ( 4 )
2. Ability to present strong rebuttals ( 3 )
3. Ability to sway voters ( 2 )
4. Ability to be convincing ( 3 )

B: Character

1. Ability to be a good sport
2. Ability to take a loss graciously

What are two things that I should focus on to improve as a debater?

1: Sources
2: convincing skills

What is my strongest category? i.e. politics, philosophy, religion etc.
politics and religion

What is my weakest category?
sometimes politics and religion
Thanks for the feedback!
I will change my sig weekly. Week 4.

Fun fact of the week
Clumsy alien Jar Jar Binks was introduced in The Phantom Menace for comic relief, but he was initially a two-faced mercenary who was to betray Qui-Gon Jinn, a Jedi Master played by Liam Neeson.

Joke of the week:
Nerd 1: "Why can't you trust atoms?"
Nerd 2: : "Cause they make everything up!"
Kozu
Posts: 381
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2015 3:08:04 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/4/2015 1:15:28 AM, FourTrouble wrote:
I strongly disagree with the soulless robot thing - I think you could even do with adding more soul to your arguments.

I think the top debaters on this site generally give their arguments lots of character.

Do any specific examples come to mind?
FourTrouble
Posts: 12,777
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2015 4:57:54 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/4/2015 3:08:04 PM, Kozu wrote:
At 9/4/2015 1:15:28 AM, FourTrouble wrote:
I strongly disagree with the soulless robot thing - I think you could even do with adding more soul to your arguments.

I think the top debaters on this site generally give their arguments lots of character.

Do any specific examples come to mind?

Specific debates? Yes.
Kozu
Posts: 381
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2015 9:32:15 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/4/2015 4:57:54 PM, FourTrouble wrote:
At 9/4/2015 3:08:04 PM, Kozu wrote:
At 9/4/2015 1:15:28 AM, FourTrouble wrote:
I strongly disagree with the soulless robot thing - I think you could even do with adding more soul to your arguments.

I think the top debaters on this site generally give their arguments lots of character.

Do any specific examples come to mind?

Specific debates? Yes.

Or debaters, I just wanted an example of character benefiting arguments.
Romanii
Posts: 4,868
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2015 10:10:43 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/3/2015 10:36:07 PM, Kozu wrote:
At 9/3/2015 8:45:39 PM, kasmic wrote:

B: Character

1. Ability to be a good sport
2. Ability to take a loss graciously

I guess I'd give you a 5 for these. You take it so well it's worrisome. It's okay to complain.

LOL... 100% agred
kasmic
Posts: 1,324
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2015 10:18:39 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/4/2015 10:10:43 PM, Romanii wrote:
At 9/3/2015 10:36:07 PM, Kozu wrote:
At 9/3/2015 8:45:39 PM, kasmic wrote:

B: Character

1. Ability to be a good sport
2. Ability to take a loss graciously

I guess I'd give you a 5 for these. You take it so well it's worrisome. It's okay to complain.

LOL... 100% agred

Perhaps you two could give me an example of when I took it "so well it's worrisome" and how I might have gone about complaining....
"Liberalism Defined" http://www.debate.org...
"The Social Contract" http://www.debate.org...
"Intro to IR An Open Discussion" http://www.debate.org...

Check out my website, the Sensible Soapbox http://www.sensiblesoapbox.com...
My latest article: http://www.sensiblesoapbox.com...
Romanii
Posts: 4,868
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2015 10:20:21 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/3/2015 11:22:51 PM, Kozu wrote:
At 9/3/2015 11:01:57 PM, kasmic wrote:
What are two things that I should focus on to improve as a debater?

1: Take your opinion out. Sometime you'll mention how hilarious your opponents argument is. That's not really necessary. Really anything that isn't directly linking to your arguments isn't needed.

You should sound like a soulless robot.

Noted, great feedback.

Yea that part about being a soulless robot. Pro tip.

I don't think that's always true. Debaters like Bluesteel and Thett3 have very human writing styles. That's not to say that sounding like a soulless robot is a bad thing, though; there are plenty of top debaters who do have that sort of tone, especially Raisor.
FourTrouble
Posts: 12,777
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2015 10:58:46 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/4/2015 9:32:15 PM, Kozu wrote:
Or debaters, I just wanted an example of character benefiting arguments.

Almost every good debate. For a couple recent examples:

http://www.debate.org...

http://www.debate.org...
FourTrouble
Posts: 12,777
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2015 11:01:07 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Danielle is a particularly good example of someone who debates with a lot of style, but basically everyone at the top of the debate leaderboard has lots of character -- Mikal, Roy, bluesteel, whiteflame, thett, Wylted, Logical-Master, Yraelz, and so on.
tejretics
Posts: 6,094
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2015 5:57:36 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/3/2015 8:45:39 PM, kasmic wrote:
This is the second time I have done something like this.

General Assessment: Please rate me on the following from 1-5

This is entirely judging from our God debate, though I'm sure it isn't an accurate representation of your skills.

SKILL

1. Ability to present an argument (2.5)
2. Ability to present strong rebuttals (2)
3. Ability to sway voters (3)
4. Ability to be convincing (3.5)

CHARACTER

1. Being a good sport (5)
2. Taking a loss graciously (5)

Places to improve:

1. Read opponent's links entirely. You often drop links and label arguments as no-link arguments, et cetera. Closely follow on the links.
2. End all debates with an impact calculus, analyzing probability and magnitude, and show the voters why you won.

Weakest: Rebuttals with regards to links
Strongest: Presenting a constructive case
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass