Total Posts:17|Showing Posts:1-17
Jump to topic:

Advice from Joey

ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Posts: 12,398
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2015 7:12:41 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
This post is geared toward people who have either yet to enter college, are about to enter, or are still in the earlier stages.

Watch your course requirements like a fcking hawk.

I didn't do this; I stopped caring for three years, only to have a pseudo panic attack *now* that I'd need a seventh course in my upcoming semester (which, of course, wouldn't permit me to graduate on time).

Thankfully, a few stupid Lit classes -- all of which will give me cancer, btw, because I'm a data wonk who shouldn't be required to take humanities (though I excelled in them in high school, ironically) -- count for dual requirements, so in addition to my honors thesis, I can get by taking 19 credits in the Spring, including a lab science which will, yes, be very cancerous.

Don't be like me. Don't take Econ electives to your heart's content. Get the bloody Gen Eds out of the way. Hell, my high school has very few AP's. If I could've, I would've wiped out an entire year with AP classes. If you can do it, I strongly urge you to do it.
~ResponsiblyIrresponsible

DDO's Economics Messiah
ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Posts: 12,398
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2015 7:21:42 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
One more thing:

Academic advisors tend to be uniquely incompetent buffoons who will steer you in the wrong direction not because they're malicious savages, but because they're highly unqualified for the position they're in. If you have a good advisor, I highly suggest sticking with him or her throughout your four years. Get the person's name, and e-mail him or her -- don't go through your school's portal -- to set up appointments and to regularly ask questions. Don't rely on the mix-and-match system which might pair you with some moron who doesn't know his ars from his elbow.

If you're sufficiently astute, though, you could just avoid academic advising all together. Of course, that requires a lot of discipline.
~ResponsiblyIrresponsible

DDO's Economics Messiah
lannan13
Posts: 23,111
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2015 9:07:46 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/4/2015 7:21:42 PM, ResponsiblyIrresponsible wrote:
One more thing:

Academic advisors tend to be uniquely incompetent buffoons who will steer you in the wrong direction not because they're malicious savages, but because they're highly unqualified for the position they're in. If you have a good advisor, I highly suggest sticking with him or her throughout your four years. Get the person's name, and e-mail him or her -- don't go through your school's portal -- to set up appointments and to regularly ask questions. Don't rely on the mix-and-match system which might pair you with some moron who doesn't know his ars from his elbow.

If you're sufficiently astute, though, you could just avoid academic advising all together. Of course, that requires a lot of discipline.

You're telling me.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
thett3
Posts: 14,382
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2015 9:11:29 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/4/2015 7:12:41 PM, ResponsiblyIrresponsible wrote:
This post is geared toward people who have either yet to enter college, are about to enter, or are still in the earlier stages.

Watch your course requirements like a fcking hawk.

I didn't do this; I stopped caring for three years, only to have a pseudo panic attack *now* that I'd need a seventh course in my upcoming semester (which, of course, wouldn't permit me to graduate on time).

Thankfully, a few stupid Lit classes -- all of which will give me cancer, btw, because I'm a data wonk who shouldn't be required to take humanities (though I excelled in them in high school, ironically) -- count for dual requirements, so in addition to my honors thesis, I can get by taking 19 credits in the Spring, including a lab science which will, yes, be very cancerous.

Don't be like me. Don't take Econ electives to your heart's content. Get the bloody Gen Eds out of the way. Hell, my high school has very few AP's. If I could've, I would've wiped out an entire year with AP classes. If you can do it, I strongly urge you to do it.

So much this. I got a ton of stupid classes out of the way due to AP and now only have to take 4 classes a semester the rest of my college career. My life rules, and yours can too
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Posts: 12,398
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2015 9:17:07 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/4/2015 9:11:29 PM, thett3 wrote:
At 9/4/2015 7:12:41 PM, ResponsiblyIrresponsible wrote:
This post is geared toward people who have either yet to enter college, are about to enter, or are still in the earlier stages.

Watch your course requirements like a fcking hawk.

I didn't do this; I stopped caring for three years, only to have a pseudo panic attack *now* that I'd need a seventh course in my upcoming semester (which, of course, wouldn't permit me to graduate on time).

Thankfully, a few stupid Lit classes -- all of which will give me cancer, btw, because I'm a data wonk who shouldn't be required to take humanities (though I excelled in them in high school, ironically) -- count for dual requirements, so in addition to my honors thesis, I can get by taking 19 credits in the Spring, including a lab science which will, yes, be very cancerous.

Don't be like me. Don't take Econ electives to your heart's content. Get the bloody Gen Eds out of the way. Hell, my high school has very few AP's. If I could've, I would've wiped out an entire year with AP classes. If you can do it, I strongly urge you to do it.

So much this. I got a ton of stupid classes out of the way due to AP and now only have to take 4 classes a semester the rest of my college career. My life rules, and yours can too

I'm so fcking envious, lol.
~ResponsiblyIrresponsible

DDO's Economics Messiah
ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Posts: 12,398
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2015 9:17:29 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/4/2015 9:07:46 PM, lannan13 wrote:
At 9/4/2015 7:21:42 PM, ResponsiblyIrresponsible wrote:
One more thing:

Academic advisors tend to be uniquely incompetent buffoons who will steer you in the wrong direction not because they're malicious savages, but because they're highly unqualified for the position they're in. If you have a good advisor, I highly suggest sticking with him or her throughout your four years. Get the person's name, and e-mail him or her -- don't go through your school's portal -- to set up appointments and to regularly ask questions. Don't rely on the mix-and-match system which might pair you with some moron who doesn't know his ars from his elbow.

If you're sufficiently astute, though, you could just avoid academic advising all together. Of course, that requires a lot of discipline.

You're telling me.

Lol, yes, because you just started.
~ResponsiblyIrresponsible

DDO's Economics Messiah
lannan13
Posts: 23,111
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2015 9:18:42 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/4/2015 9:17:29 PM, ResponsiblyIrresponsible wrote:
At 9/4/2015 9:07:46 PM, lannan13 wrote:
At 9/4/2015 7:21:42 PM, ResponsiblyIrresponsible wrote:
One more thing:

Academic advisors tend to be uniquely incompetent buffoons who will steer you in the wrong direction not because they're malicious savages, but because they're highly unqualified for the position they're in. If you have a good advisor, I highly suggest sticking with him or her throughout your four years. Get the person's name, and e-mail him or her -- don't go through your school's portal -- to set up appointments and to regularly ask questions. Don't rely on the mix-and-match system which might pair you with some moron who doesn't know his ars from his elbow.

If you're sufficiently astute, though, you could just avoid academic advising all together. Of course, that requires a lot of discipline.

You're telling me.

Lol, yes, because you just started.

I have two level 300 classes.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Posts: 12,398
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2015 9:23:13 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/4/2015 9:18:42 PM, lannan13 wrote:
At 9/4/2015 9:17:29 PM, ResponsiblyIrresponsible wrote:
At 9/4/2015 9:07:46 PM, lannan13 wrote:
At 9/4/2015 7:21:42 PM, ResponsiblyIrresponsible wrote:
One more thing:

Academic advisors tend to be uniquely incompetent buffoons who will steer you in the wrong direction not because they're malicious savages, but because they're highly unqualified for the position they're in. If you have a good advisor, I highly suggest sticking with him or her throughout your four years. Get the person's name, and e-mail him or her -- don't go through your school's portal -- to set up appointments and to regularly ask questions. Don't rely on the mix-and-match system which might pair you with some moron who doesn't know his ars from his elbow.

If you're sufficiently astute, though, you could just avoid academic advising all together. Of course, that requires a lot of discipline.

You're telling me.

Lol, yes, because you just started.

I have two level 300 classes.

Nice! AP's or what?
~ResponsiblyIrresponsible

DDO's Economics Messiah
SamStevens
Posts: 3,819
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2015 9:23:23 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/4/2015 7:12:41 PM, ResponsiblyIrresponsible wrote:
This post is geared toward people who have either yet to enter college, are about to enter, or are still in the earlier stages.

Watch your course requirements like a fcking hawk.

I didn't do this; I stopped caring for three years, only to have a pseudo panic attack *now* that I'd need a seventh course in my upcoming semester (which, of course, wouldn't permit me to graduate on time).

Thankfully, a few stupid Lit classes -- all of which will give me cancer, btw, because I'm a data wonk who shouldn't be required to take humanities (though I excelled in them in high school, ironically) -- count for dual requirements, so in addition to my honors thesis, I can get by taking 19 credits in the Spring, including a lab science which will, yes, be very cancerous.

Don't be like me. Don't take Econ electives to your heart's content.
So people shouldn't avoid other electives before taking the general classes? They should only avoid econ?

Get the bloody Gen Eds out of the way. Hell, my high school has very few AP's. If I could've, I would've wiped out an entire year with AP classes. If you can do it, I strongly urge you to do it.

Regarding AP classes: http://www.npr.org...
"This is the true horror of religion. It allows perfectly decent and sane people to believe by the billions, what only lunatics could believe on their own." Sam Harris
Life asked Death "Why do people love me but hate you?"
Death responded: "Because you are a beautiful lie, and I am the painful truth."
ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Posts: 12,398
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2015 9:24:39 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Oh, but the one rub from this thread: if you know what you're doing (or you're an arshole like thett), piling on electives you enjoy may be a good way to pump up your GPA.

For instance, my in-major GPA is a 4.0. My overall GPA is a 3.96 or something. Marketing had nothing to do with that, I assure you.
~ResponsiblyIrresponsible

DDO's Economics Messiah
ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Posts: 12,398
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2015 9:26:05 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/4/2015 9:23:23 PM, SamStevens wrote:
At 9/4/2015 7:12:41 PM, ResponsiblyIrresponsible wrote:
This post is geared toward people who have either yet to enter college, are about to enter, or are still in the earlier stages.

Watch your course requirements like a fcking hawk.

I didn't do this; I stopped caring for three years, only to have a pseudo panic attack *now* that I'd need a seventh course in my upcoming semester (which, of course, wouldn't permit me to graduate on time).

Thankfully, a few stupid Lit classes -- all of which will give me cancer, btw, because I'm a data wonk who shouldn't be required to take humanities (though I excelled in them in high school, ironically) -- count for dual requirements, so in addition to my honors thesis, I can get by taking 19 credits in the Spring, including a lab science which will, yes, be very cancerous.

Don't be like me. Don't take Econ electives to your heart's content.
So people shouldn't avoid other electives before taking the general classes? They should only avoid econ?

Lol, naw -- just in-major electives. Save them for later.

Get the bloody Gen Eds out of the way. Hell, my high school has very few AP's. If I could've, I would've wiped out an entire year with AP classes. If you can do it, I strongly urge you to do it.

Regarding AP classes: http://www.npr.org...

Oh, really now?

Can you give me the tl;dr?
~ResponsiblyIrresponsible

DDO's Economics Messiah
SamStevens
Posts: 3,819
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2015 9:35:43 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/4/2015 9:26:05 PM, ResponsiblyIrresponsible wrote:
At 9/4/2015 9:23:23 PM, SamStevens wrote:
At 9/4/2015 7:12:41 PM, ResponsiblyIrresponsible wrote:
This post is geared toward people who have either yet to enter college, are about to enter, or are still in the earlier stages.

Watch your course requirements like a fcking hawk.

I didn't do this; I stopped caring for three years, only to have a pseudo panic attack *now* that I'd need a seventh course in my upcoming semester (which, of course, wouldn't permit me to graduate on time).

Thankfully, a few stupid Lit classes -- all of which will give me cancer, btw, because I'm a data wonk who shouldn't be required to take humanities (though I excelled in them in high school, ironically) -- count for dual requirements, so in addition to my honors thesis, I can get by taking 19 credits in the Spring, including a lab science which will, yes, be very cancerous.

Don't be like me. Don't take Econ electives to your heart's content.
So people shouldn't avoid other electives before taking the general classes? They should only avoid econ?

Lol, naw -- just in-major electives. Save them for later.

Get the bloody Gen Eds out of the way. Hell, my high school has very few AP's. If I could've, I would've wiped out an entire year with AP classes. If you can do it, I strongly urge you to do it.

Regarding AP classes: http://www.npr.org...

Oh, really now?

Can you give me the tl;dr?

sure:

"Hundreds of thousands of high school students enroll in Advanced Placement classes each year, with hopes to strengthen high school transcript and earn college credit. In a piece for the Atlantic, former college professor and high school teacher John Tierney argues that AP courses don't deliver their promised benefits."

Is that true? Are they worth taking?
"This is the true horror of religion. It allows perfectly decent and sane people to believe by the billions, what only lunatics could believe on their own." Sam Harris
Life asked Death "Why do people love me but hate you?"
Death responded: "Because you are a beautiful lie, and I am the painful truth."
ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Posts: 12,398
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2015 9:42:30 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/4/2015 9:35:43 PM, SamStevens wrote:
At 9/4/2015 9:26:05 PM, ResponsiblyIrresponsible wrote:
At 9/4/2015 9:23:23 PM, SamStevens wrote:
At 9/4/2015 7:12:41 PM, ResponsiblyIrresponsible wrote:
This post is geared toward people who have either yet to enter college, are about to enter, or are still in the earlier stages.

Watch your course requirements like a fcking hawk.

I didn't do this; I stopped caring for three years, only to have a pseudo panic attack *now* that I'd need a seventh course in my upcoming semester (which, of course, wouldn't permit me to graduate on time).

Thankfully, a few stupid Lit classes -- all of which will give me cancer, btw, because I'm a data wonk who shouldn't be required to take humanities (though I excelled in them in high school, ironically) -- count for dual requirements, so in addition to my honors thesis, I can get by taking 19 credits in the Spring, including a lab science which will, yes, be very cancerous.

Don't be like me. Don't take Econ electives to your heart's content.
So people shouldn't avoid other electives before taking the general classes? They should only avoid econ?

Lol, naw -- just in-major electives. Save them for later.

Get the bloody Gen Eds out of the way. Hell, my high school has very few AP's. If I could've, I would've wiped out an entire year with AP classes. If you can do it, I strongly urge you to do it.

Regarding AP classes: http://www.npr.org...

Oh, really now?

Can you give me the tl;dr?

sure:

"Hundreds of thousands of high school students enroll in Advanced Placement classes each year, with hopes to strengthen high school transcript and earn college credit. In a piece for the Atlantic, former college professor and high school teacher John Tierney argues that AP courses don't deliver their promised benefits."


Is that true? Are they worth taking?

I mean, I don't know what specifically he's referring to. Are the promised benefits strengthening one's high school transcript and earning college credit? Because AP classes *definitely* deliver on those, provided that your grades/AP scores were good enough. Getting to skip those classes in college and move onto more advanced materials -- either to take electives, as Thett was able to, or to graduate early -- sounds great as well.
~ResponsiblyIrresponsible

DDO's Economics Messiah
SamStevens
Posts: 3,819
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2015 9:44:37 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/4/2015 9:42:30 PM, ResponsiblyIrresponsible wrote:
At 9/4/2015 9:35:43 PM, SamStevens wrote:
At 9/4/2015 9:26:05 PM, ResponsiblyIrresponsible wrote:
At 9/4/2015 9:23:23 PM, SamStevens wrote:
At 9/4/2015 7:12:41 PM, ResponsiblyIrresponsible wrote:
This post is geared toward people who have either yet to enter college, are about to enter, or are still in the earlier stages.

Watch your course requirements like a fcking hawk.

I didn't do this; I stopped caring for three years, only to have a pseudo panic attack *now* that I'd need a seventh course in my upcoming semester (which, of course, wouldn't permit me to graduate on time).

Thankfully, a few stupid Lit classes -- all of which will give me cancer, btw, because I'm a data wonk who shouldn't be required to take humanities (though I excelled in them in high school, ironically) -- count for dual requirements, so in addition to my honors thesis, I can get by taking 19 credits in the Spring, including a lab science which will, yes, be very cancerous.

Don't be like me. Don't take Econ electives to your heart's content.
So people shouldn't avoid other electives before taking the general classes? They should only avoid econ?

Lol, naw -- just in-major electives. Save them for later.

Get the bloody Gen Eds out of the way. Hell, my high school has very few AP's. If I could've, I would've wiped out an entire year with AP classes. If you can do it, I strongly urge you to do it.

Regarding AP classes: http://www.npr.org...

Oh, really now?

Can you give me the tl;dr?

sure:

"Hundreds of thousands of high school students enroll in Advanced Placement classes each year, with hopes to strengthen high school transcript and earn college credit. In a piece for the Atlantic, former college professor and high school teacher John Tierney argues that AP courses don't deliver their promised benefits."


Is that true? Are they worth taking?

I mean, I don't know what specifically he's referring to. Are the promised benefits strengthening one's high school transcript and earning college credit? Because AP classes *definitely* deliver on those, provided that your grades/AP scores were good enough. Getting to skip those classes in college and move onto more advanced materials -- either to take electives, as Thett was able to, or to graduate early -- sounds great as well.

okay
"This is the true horror of religion. It allows perfectly decent and sane people to believe by the billions, what only lunatics could believe on their own." Sam Harris
Life asked Death "Why do people love me but hate you?"
Death responded: "Because you are a beautiful lie, and I am the painful truth."
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Posts: 2,710
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2015 11:54:22 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/4/2015 7:12:41 PM, ResponsiblyIrresponsible wrote:
This post is geared toward people who have either yet to enter college, are about to enter, or are still in the earlier stages.

Watch your course requirements like a fcking hawk.

I didn't do this; I stopped caring for three years, only to have a pseudo panic attack *now* that I'd need a seventh course in my upcoming semester (which, of course, wouldn't permit me to graduate on time).
That sucks :O I was talking to someone today and she said she had to take an architecture class (as a Chinese major) because of the stupid requirements. She did graduate on time, though she screwed up that course.
Thankfully, a few stupid Lit classes -- all of which will give me cancer, btw, because I'm a data wonk who shouldn't be required to take humanities (though I excelled in them in high school, ironically) -- count for dual requirements, so in addition to my honors thesis, I can get by taking 19 credits in the Spring, including a lab science which will, yes, be very cancerous.
Good luck :) I've managed to avoid all lab and lit stuff this year, thank goodness (we do enrolling for both semesters in summer). Though I still have a law course...
Don't be like me. Don't take Econ electives to your heart's content. Get the bloody Gen Eds out of the way. Hell, my high school has very few AP's. If I could've, I would've wiped out an entire year with AP classes. If you can do it, I strongly urge you to do it.
Hey, in Hong Kong AP classes don't even exist... -_- But in my faculty, we're required to finish up that stuff before our fourth year, so it doesn't really affect our graduation.

Academic advisors tend to be uniquely incompetent buffoons who will steer you in the wrong direction not because they're malicious savages, but because they're highly unqualified for the position they're in. If you have a good advisor, I highly suggest sticking with him or her throughout your four years. Get the person's name, and e-mail him or her -- don't go through your school's portal -- to set up appointments and to regularly ask questions. Don't rely on the mix-and-match system which might pair you with some moron who doesn't know his ars from his elbow.
LOL. The mix-and-match system paired me up with a history professor who is famous for his work on modern Chinese history (he has a Wikipedia entry). I'm sure he's extremely competent at teaching and researching history, but the stuff I plan to study has nothing whatsoever to do with modern Chinese history...
If you're sufficiently astute, though, you could just avoid academic advising all together. Of course, that requires a lot of discipline.
I've heard academic advisers just listen to what you say and go, 'ooh, that's interesting...' But I'll see him next week, so I'll see.
The thing is, I hate relativism. I hate relativism more than I hate everything else, excepting, maybe, fibreglass powerboats... What it overlooks, to put it briefly and crudely, is the fixed structure of human nature. - Jerry Fodor

Don't be a stat cynic:
http://www.debate.org...

Response to conservative views on deforestation:
http://www.debate.org...

Topics I'd like to debate (not debating ATM): http://tinyurl.com...
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Posts: 2,710
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2015 12:55:48 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/5/2015 12:46:37 PM, XLAV wrote:
wtf is AP

In the US, people take AP courses, which bear credit and will grant them exemptions for courses at university.
The thing is, I hate relativism. I hate relativism more than I hate everything else, excepting, maybe, fibreglass powerboats... What it overlooks, to put it briefly and crudely, is the fixed structure of human nature. - Jerry Fodor

Don't be a stat cynic:
http://www.debate.org...

Response to conservative views on deforestation:
http://www.debate.org...

Topics I'd like to debate (not debating ATM): http://tinyurl.com...