Jump to topic:

Immortality as a cyborg

Sapphique
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2015 8:35:27 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
As the title says. If human technology became advanced enough, would you be willing to live forever as a cyborg?
DDO Beginners' Mafia Moderator -- PM me if you'd like to learn how to play mafia!

"We wondered what happiness would look like if we could give it a physical form...the shape of happiness might resemble glass...even though you don't usually notice it, it's still definitely there. You merely have to change your point of view slightly, and then that glass will sparkle when it reflects the light. I doubt that anything else could argue its own existence more eloquently." ~Lelouch
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2015 9:10:58 PM
At 9/11/2015 8:35:27 PM, Sapphique wrote:
As the title says. If human technology became advanced enough, would you be willing to live forever as a cyborg?

Would that really be living, though?
If there is a soul, would you not be detached from it?
My work here is, finally, done.
Sapphique
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2015 9:21:36 PM
At 9/11/2015 9:10:58 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
Would that really be living, though?
I guess it depends on your definition of "living." Assuming that thoughts, emotions, and memories can still be experienced with some sort of computerized brain (don't ask me how because I have no idea about the technicalities) I would say it might not be so different. What do you think about the concept itself though? Being able to live forever, except not in a natural body.
If there is a soul, would you not be detached from it?
Does a soul have to be attached to the flesh?
DDO Beginners' Mafia Moderator -- PM me if you'd like to learn how to play mafia!

"We wondered what happiness would look like if we could give it a physical form...the shape of happiness might resemble glass...even though you don't usually notice it, it's still definitely there. You merely have to change your point of view slightly, and then that glass will sparkle when it reflects the light. I doubt that anything else could argue its own existence more eloquently." ~Lelouch
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2015 9:56:00 PM

Whenever people think of "cyborgs", they typically think of humanoid robots. However, more likely either human bodies will be cloned en masse so that people can just switch bodies every few decades to avoid death or people"s minds will be transferred to a simulated reality, where literally new levels of reality are available to the person in question and less resources are used up.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2015 3:49:43 PM
Only if I could still kill myself somehow. I could imagine that having an artificially extended life could be cool in many ways, but I'd never want immortality. Imagine being trapped on Earth for eternity...
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2015 3:57:26 PM

If you'd be my other half <3
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
ClashnBoom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2015 4:16:48 PM
At 9/12/2015 3:49:43 PM, bsh1 wrote:
Only if I could still kill myself somehow. I could imagine that having an artificially extended life could be cool in many ways, but I'd never want immortality. Imagine being trapped on Earth for eternity...

The curse of immortality is not effective if everyone else will live forever, so why die? Assuming of course that animals are immortal too and that we have enough resources to maintain this Earth forever. Why die?
I will change my sig weekly. Week 4.

Fun fact of the week
Clumsy alien Jar Jar Binks was introduced in The Phantom Menace for comic relief, but he was initially a two-faced mercenary who was to betray Qui-Gon Jinn, a Jedi Master played by Liam Neeson.

Joke of the week:
Nerd 1: "Why can't you trust atoms?"
Nerd 2: : "Cause they make everything up!"
ClashnBoom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2015 4:21:27 PM

I'd much rather have my conciseness switch from body to body so 1. I can seemingly teleport by wirelessly transferring my mind into a body in the destination I want to go to 2. You can die, by way of virus. Of course only you can put the virus into your mind.. 3. You can have multiple bodies at once.

I'd use this power to answer two questions 1. Is God real?\Is Heaven real? And 2. Is there really a mutiverse\aliens? After I answer these questions I will effect myself depending on my answers.

Fun fact of the week
Clumsy alien Jar Jar Binks was introduced in The Phantom Menace for comic relief, but he was initially a two-faced mercenary who was to betray Qui-Gon Jinn, a Jedi Master played by Liam Neeson.

Joke of the week:
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2015 4:22:56 PM
At 9/12/2015 4:16:48 PM, ClashnBoom wrote:

The curse of immortality is not effective if everyone else will live forever, so why die? Assuming of course that animals are immortal too and that we have enough resources to maintain this Earth forever. Why die?

Firstly, just because I am an immortal cyborg doesn't mean everyone else is. Secondly, the curse of immortality, as you term it, is not merely the loss of loved ones. Eventually, if you do anything long enough, you get tired of it. I think the same would apply to life. Give a thousand years, and I am pretty sure I would just be drained. I am also not so sure that the human psyche has fortitude enough to withstand that long of a lifespan (even if one dies, you have arguments, break ups, etc., which all take their toll). You may also lose loved ones in ways other than death--while it is conceivable to spend a lifetime with a partner, to spend all eternity with them on Earth would be implausible. Same with friends.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

Follow the DDOlympics

ClashnBoom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2015 4:29:54 PM
At 9/12/2015 4:22:56 PM, bsh1 wrote:

Firstly, just because I am an immortal cyborg doesn't mean everyone else is.
The question was if human technology would be advanced enough, so I assume most people would say yes.

Secondly, the curse of immortality, as you term it, is not merely the loss of loved ones. Eventually, if you do anything long enough, you get tired of it. I think the same would apply to life.

Same thing applies to death. Die once no respawn. No hurt, no pain, no love, no laughter, nothing. Depending on your beliefs course. Besides, life cannot get boring as long as humans have brains. Innovation. With that long of lifespan, you can search entire galaxies! Go through the mountains and oceans! Even if your space ship is faster than light it would take 1 billion plus years and counting to see everything. Plus read ever book, play every game etc.

Give a thousand years, and I am pretty sure I would just be drained. I am also not so sure that the human psyche has fortitude enough to withstand that long of a lifespan (even if one dies, you have arguments, break ups, etc., which all take their toll). You may also lose loved ones in ways other than death--while it is conceivable to spend a lifetime with a partner, to spend all eternity with them on Earth would be implausible. Same with friends.

Deep.

Fun fact of the week

Joke of the week:
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2015 4:39:15 PM
At 9/12/2015 4:29:54 PM, ClashnBoom wrote:
Secondly, the curse of immortality, as you term it, is not merely the loss of loved ones. Eventually, if you do anything long enough, you get tired of it. I think the same would apply to life.

Same thing applies to death. Die once no respawn. No hurt, no pain, no love, no laughter, nothing. Depending on your beliefs course.

Not really. If you are nothing, you cannot be bored or interested. It's an end, whereas life is a continuance. If you're more religious, then you start afresh with reincarnation (clean slate = not bored) or you go to heaven, which is eternal bliss (i.e. not like real life at all).

Besides, life cannot get boring as long as humans have brains. Innovation. With that long of lifespan, you can search entire galaxies! Go through the mountains and oceans! Even if your space ship is faster than light it would take 1 billion plus years and counting to see everything. Plus read ever book, play every game etc.

I would disagree with this. Intuitively, it's what we want to say, but I don't think it pans out. Even if you can add sparkle here and there to your life, even if you can try new things which aren't boring, you may get bored of life itself, which is distinct from the things that happen during it. If you get that kind of existential boredom, it's not something any particular activity or set of activities is going to solve; you're done with the state of affairs (i.e. living).

To use an example: I used to play pokemon when I was younger. It was interesting, and there were always new things I could do on every game. But, even though I didn't do everything left on the games that I could (so there were still new things to interest me on them) I got bored of pokemon and moved on. So, with life, sure, you may be able to have lots of new experiences, but you may eventually just get fed up with the condition of being alive, and want to move on, even if there may still be interesting activities available.

And, look at it another way, since we just don't know how the human person will react to immortality, including a suicide switch as a safeguard is a good idea...just in case we don't like it.

Give a thousand years, and I am pretty sure I would just be drained. I am also not so sure that the human psyche has fortitude enough to withstand that long of a lifespan (even if one dies, you have arguments, break ups, etc., which all take their toll). You may also lose loved ones in ways other than death--while it is conceivable to spend a lifetime with a partner, to spend all eternity with them on Earth would be implausible. Same with friends.

Deep.

Facetious...or not?
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

ClashnBoom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2015 4:58:45 PM
At 9/12/2015 4:39:15 PM, bsh1 wrote:

Same thing applies to death. Die once no respawn. No hurt, no pain, no love, no laughter, nothing. Depending on your beliefs course.

Not really. If you are nothing, you cannot be bored or interested. It's an end, whereas life is a continuance. If you're more religious, then you start afresh with reincarnation (clean slate = not bored) or you go to heaven, which is eternal bliss (i.e. not like real life at all).
I guess that's one thing even an immortal scientist can't answer. What happens after death? Will you experience anything? Reincarnation in religion usually means becoming an animal or a flower so I don't know how thier minds work but it sounds boring and a little scary.

Besides, life cannot get boring as long as humans have brains. Innovation. With that long of lifespan, you can search entire galaxies! Go through the mountains and oceans! Even if your space ship is faster than light it would take 1 billion plus years and counting to see everything. Plus read ever book, play every game etc.

I would disagree with this. Intuitively, it's what we want to say, but I don't think it pans out. Even if you can add sparkle here and there to your life, even if you can try new things which aren't boring, you may get bored of life itself, which is distinct from the things that happen during it. If you get that kind of existential boredom, it's not something any particular activity or set of activities is going to solve; you're done with the state of affairs (i.e. living).

To use an example: I used to play pokemon when I was younger. It was interesting, and there were always new things I could do on every game. But, even though I didn't do everything left on the games that I could (so there were still new things to interest me on them) I got bored of pokemon and moved on. So, with life, sure, you may be able to have lots of new experiences, but you may eventually just get fed up with the condition of being alive, and want to move on, even if there may still be interesting activities available.

Pokemon is awesome today, Pokemon is awesome tomorrow. I mean did you hear about Pokemon Go? The hype is real!
But back to the topic. After Pokemon you weren't scarried of want happens next but death is the second (or tied to first depending on you basis) most feared thing of all. Can you really get bored with life if there are literally infinite possibilities? We can genetically modify small animals to turn them into Pokemon. Create ligh sabers, Acquire super human abilities etc. If it's possible it will be done within enough time.Granted your right, we don't know how humans will react and a safeguard is needed but can't we simulate our own heaven? A cyborg is controlled by a microchip, make a program that simulates heaven.

And, look at it another way, since we just don't know how the human person will react to immortality, including a suicide switch as a safeguard is a good idea...just in case we don't like it.

Deep.

Facetious...or not?

Not.

Fun fact of the week

Joke of the week:
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2015 5:07:54 PM
I always wonder if our minds could take the stress of living multiple hundreds or thousands of years. Excluding actual diseases, I imagine mental issues would develop.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2015 7:08:49 PM
At 9/12/2015 4:58:45 PM, ClashnBoom wrote:

Pokemon is awesome today, Pokemon is awesome tomorrow. I mean did you hear about Pokemon Go? The hype is real!

Lol...But you get my point nonetheless :P

But back to the topic. After Pokemon you weren't scarried of want happens next but death is the second (or tied to first depending on you basis) most feared thing of all.

Yes, it is fear, but if it is *so* feared why do people seek to end their lives in suicide or sacrifice themselves for others. Clearly, some things matter more than the fear of death. I would hypothesize that--eventually--the condition of existential boredom would be enough to push someone towards embracing that fear, rather than running from it, for all the reasons I just mentioned. Purposelessness is a kind of slow-building torture, and anguish that will eventually feel worse than the desire to stay alive.

Can you really get bored with life if there are literally infinite possibilities? We can genetically modify small animals to turn them into Pokemon. Create ligh sabers, Acquire super human abilities etc. If it's possible it will be done within enough time.

It doesn't matter if there are infinite possibilities. I get bored with unexhausted finite possibilities. Most people are no different.

Granted your right, we don't know how humans will react and a safeguard is needed but can't we simulate our own heaven? A cyborg is controlled by a microchip, make a program that simulates heaven.

Or not. Read up on Nozick's Pleasure Machine. What your suggesting is...just wrong...

Deep.

Facetious...or not?

Not.

Cool :) Thanks.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

ClashnBoom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2015 7:19:11 PM
At 9/12/2015 7:08:49 PM, bsh1 wrote:

Lol...But you get my point nonetheless :P

But back to the topic. After Pokemon you weren't scarried of want happens next but death is the second (or tied to first depending on you basis) most feared thing of all.

Yes, it is fear, but if it is *so* feared why do people seek to end their lives in suicide or sacrifice themselves for others. Clearly, some things matter more than the fear of death. I would hypothesize that--eventually--the condition of existential boredom would be enough to push someone towards embracing that fear, rather than running from it, for all the reasons I just mentioned. Purposelessness is a kind of slow-building torture, and anguish that will eventually feel worse than the desire to stay alive.
Cause they have a mental disorder.

Can you really get bored with life if there are literally infinite possibilities? We can genetically modify small animals to turn them into Pokemon. Create ligh sabers, Acquire super human abilities etc. If it's possible it will be done within enough time.

It doesn't matter if there are infinite possibilities. I get bored with unexhausted finite possibilities. Most people are no different.
I'm different than.

Granted your right, we don't know how humans will react and a safeguard is needed but can't we simulate our own heaven? A cyborg is controlled by a microchip, make a program that simulates heaven.

Or not. Read up on Nozick's Pleasure Machine. What your suggesting is...just wrong...
What's that? I'll read it anyway.

Deep.

Facetious...or not?

Not.

Cool :) Thanks.

Fun fact of the week

Joke of the week:
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2015 7:24:13 PM
At 9/12/2015 7:19:11 PM, ClashnBoom wrote:

That's not true at all. Why is desiring death necessarily irrational? It's also totally unhelpful and rather crude/offensive to label all suicidal people as mentally ill.

I'm different than.

I am pretty sure your not. There are going to be cases in your life where you've not pursued something to the ultimate conclusion because you got bored along the way, whether or not you can identify them and whether or not they were significant. It's just how people operate.

Eh...Too lazy to explain. Read it; it's interesting.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

ClashnBoom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2015 7:31:27 PM
At 9/12/2015 7:24:13 PM, bsh1 wrote:

That's not true at all. Why is desiring death necessarily irrational? It's also totally unhelpful and rather crude/offensive to label all suicidal people as mentally ill.
Really? Is there a completely sane and happy suicidal person?

I'm different than.

I am pretty sure your not. There are going to be cases in your life where you've not pursued something to the ultimate conclusion because you got bored along the way, whether or not you can identify them and whether or not they were significant. It's just how people operate.
You don't know me. Lol. Yeah, I'm prob the same.

Okay. Any book is good for me to read. I'll read it.

Fun fact of the week

Joke of the week:
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2015 7:33:54 PM
At 9/12/2015 7:31:27 PM, ClashnBoom wrote:

You're conflating sadness with insanity. Obviously, people who kill themselves are sad, but that doesn't make them insane.

It's not a book...It's a situation posited by Nozick in his book "Anarchy, State, and Utopia."
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

ClashnBoom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2015 7:35:29 PM
At 9/12/2015 7:33:54 PM, bsh1 wrote:

You're conflating sadness with insanity. Obviously, people who kill themselves are sad, but that doesn't make them insane.
Then they are depressed which means they need a psychologist.

It's not a book...It's a situation posited by Nozick in his book "Anarchy, State, and Utopia."

Oh, where do I find it then?

Fun fact of the week

Joke of the week:
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2015 7:38:40 PM
At 9/12/2015 7:35:29 PM, ClashnBoom wrote:
At 9/12/2015 7:33:54 PM, bsh1 wrote:

Then they are depressed which means they need a psychologist.

Right, you're just continuing to conflate the issues. Sadness =/= insanity. Sure, it's better to make sad people un-sad, but that they are sad and kill themselves is not inherently an irrational act, and thus, it doesn't imply mental illness.

Oh, where do I find it then?

In A, S, & U. Or, google it.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

Sapphique
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2015 7:42:28 PM
At 9/12/2015 3:57:26 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:

Love you too <3
I appreciate the sentiment, but if it were literal...wouldn't that be a bit creepy? Like conjoined twins =O

ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2015 7:43:33 PM
At 9/12/2015 7:42:28 PM, Sapphique wrote:
At 9/12/2015 3:57:26 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:

Love you too <3
I appreciate the sentiment, but if it were literal...wouldn't that be a bit creepy? Like conjoined twins =O

It'd mean we'd have to work together for everything. :D

AND SHARE CHOCOLATE CAKE OOOHH AAHHH
AND COOKIE DOUGH ICE-CREAM TOO :'D
Solonkr~

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY

Sapphique
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2015 7:43:46 PM

^ That's pretty much my personal opinion on this.

Sapphique
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2015 7:45:12 PM
At 9/12/2015 7:43:33 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:

Lol. I prefer chocolate ice cream cake :P

ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2015 7:45:52 PM
At 9/12/2015 7:45:12 PM, Sapphique wrote:
At 9/12/2015 7:43:33 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:

Lol. I prefer chocolate ice cream cake :P

OOOOH YESSSSSSSSS
Solonkr~

Ken~

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY

SamStevens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2015 10:00:13 PM
At 9/11/2015 4:22:56 PM, bsh1 wrote:

Firstly, just because I am an immortal cyborg doesn't mean everyone else is. Secondly, the curse of immortality, as you term it, is not merely the loss of loved ones. Eventually, if you do anything long enough, you get tired of it.

If a person lives for eternity, wouldn't the constant development of new technology give them something new to do?

I think the same would apply to life. Give a thousand years, and I am pretty sure I would just be drained. I am also not so sure that the human psyche has fortitude enough to withstand that long of a lifespan (even if one dies, you have arguments, break ups, etc., which all take their toll). You may also lose loved ones in ways other than death--while it is conceivable to spend a lifetime with a partner, to spend all eternity with them on Earth would be implausible. Same with friends.
"This is the true horror of religion. It allows perfectly decent and sane people to believe by the billions, what only lunatics could believe on their own." Sam Harris
Life asked Death "Why do people love me but hate you?"
Death responded: "Because you are a beautiful lie, and I am the painful truth."
ClashnBoom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2015 5:56:51 AM
At 9/12/2015 10:00:13 PM, SamStevens wrote:

Firstly, just because I am an immortal cyborg doesn't mean everyone else is. Secondly, the curse of immortality, as you term it, is not merely the loss of loved ones. Eventually, if you do anything long enough, you get tired of it.

If a person lives for eternity, wouldn't the constant development of new technology give them something new to do?
That's exactly what I said.

I think the same would apply to life. Give a thousand years, and I am pretty sure I would just be drained. I am also not so sure that the human psyche has fortitude enough to withstand that long of a lifespan (even if one dies, you have arguments, break ups, etc., which all take their toll). You may also lose loved ones in ways other than death--while it is conceivable to spend a lifetime with a partner, to spend all eternity with them on Earth would be implausible. Same with friends.

Fun fact of the week

Joke of the week:
SamStevens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2015 5:59:25 AM
At 9/13/2015 5:56:51 AM, ClashnBoom wrote:
At 9/12/2015 10:00:13 PM, SamStevens wrote:

That's exactly what I said.

Sorry about that.

"This is the true horror of religion. It allows perfectly decent and sane people to believe by the billions, what only lunatics could believe on their own." Sam Harris
Life asked Death "Why do people love me but hate you?"
Death responded: "Because you are a beautiful lie, and I am the painful truth."