Jump to topic:

A personal rant of mine

SNP1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2015 1:13:17 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Why are so many feminists arguing that there should be a women on a dollar (the 10 or 20) in the US? Those that are on the dollars are there (or supposed to be there) because they did things to help out a MAJORITY of this nation. All the female figures these feminists want on the 10 or 20 helped a MINORITY of this nation. Were there some important female figures in our nation? YES! Are there any that deserve to be on the money (while keeping the theme of the money the way it is), no (except special edition coins).
#TheApatheticNihilistPartyofAmerica
#WarOnDDO
Fkkize
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2015 1:35:48 PM
Yeah...it's stupid.
: At 7/2/2016 3:05:07 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
:
: space contradicts logic
Sarra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2015 4:28:13 PM
At 9/18/2015 1:13:17 PM, SNP1 wrote:
Why are so many feminists arguing that there should be a women on a dollar (the 10 or 20) in the US? Those that are on the dollars are there (or supposed to be there) because they did things to help out a MAJORITY of this nation. All the female figures these feminists want on the 10 or 20 helped a MINORITY of this nation. Were there some important female figures in our nation? YES! Are there any that deserve to be on the money (while keeping the theme of the money the way it is), no (except special edition coins).

I have no idea who started the concept of a female on the $10. With the plan of Hamilton appearing on the back instead of the front, meh, really kills any excitement I would have. Plus $10s are rarely used. If the people in control want significant change, then the $20 is much more used in circulation and would have a greater impact for its symbolism. I believe the most deserving women to be on the $10/$20 to be either Lady Liberty or the first female President (whenever that happens).
ClashnBoom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2015 4:39:44 PM
At 9/18/2015 4:28:13 PM, Sarra wrote:

I have no idea who started the concept of a female on the $10. With the plan of Hamilton appearing on the back instead of the front, meh, really kills any excitement I would have. Plus $10s are rarely used. If the people in control want significant change, then the $20 is much more used in circulation and would have a greater impact for its symbolism. I believe the most deserving women to be on the $10/$20 to be either Lady Liberty or the first female President (whenever that happens).

Hillary Clinton? Jk. She can't win.
I will change my sig weekly. Week 4.

Fun fact of the week
Clumsy alien Jar Jar Binks was introduced in The Phantom Menace for comic relief, but he was initially a two-faced mercenary who was to betray Qui-Gon Jinn, a Jedi Master played by Liam Neeson.

Joke of the week:
Nerd 1: "Why can't you trust atoms?"
Nerd 2: : "Cause they make everything up!"
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2015 5:18:25 PM
Hillary Clinton? Jk. She can't win.

Don't tempt fate. :P
"The right to 360 noscope noobs shall not be infringed!!!" -- tajshar2k
"So, to start off, I've never committed suicide." -- Vaarka
"I eat glue." -- brontoraptor
"I mean, at this rate, I'd argue for a ham sandwich presidency." -- ResponsiblyIrresponsible
"Overthrow Assad, heil jihad." -- 16kadams when trolling in hangout
"Hillary Clinton is not my favorite person ... and her campaign is as inspiring as a bowl of cottage cheese." -- YYW
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2015 4:01:50 AM

Ummm, females make up the majority.
SNP1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2015 3:24:45 PM
At 9/19/2015 4:01:50 AM, Wylted wrote:

First wave feminism was only for white women. White women are not a majority. Because of this, each wave of feminism dealt with a different minority and never the majority.
#WarOnDDO
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2015 6:04:28 PM
At 9/19/2015 3:24:45 PM, SNP1 wrote:

First wave feminism was only for white women. White women are not a majority. Because of this, each wave of feminism dealt with a different minority and never the majority.

what about women's suffrage? Was that for a minority of people or the majority? Doesn't Susan B Anthony deserve to be on currency.
SNP1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2015 6:09:34 PM
At 9/19/2015 6:04:28 PM, Wylted wrote:

what about women's suffrage? Was that for a minority of people or the majority? Doesn't Susan B Anthony deserve to be on currency.

You realize that the "women's suffrage" you are referring to only applied to WHITE women, right (1920)? Universal women's suffrage didn't happen for a while later (MLK wasn't even born until 1929).

Again, white women are a minority of the total amount of people within the nation. IF women's suffrage in 1920 included women of all color, then that would be a different story.
#WarOnDDO
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2015 6:43:54 PM
At 9/19/2015 6:09:34 PM, SNP1 wrote:

You realize that the "women's suffrage" you are referring to only applied to WHITE women, right (1920)? Universal women's suffrage didn't happen for a while later (MLK wasn't even born until 1929).

Again, white women are a minority of the total amount of people within the nation. IF women's suffrage in 1920 included women of all color, then that would be a different story.

African Americans received the right to vote in the 1800s. Black and white women got the right to vote as a result of the women's suffrage movement.
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2015 6:47:37 PM

Susan B. Anthony appeared on the US dollar coin. https://en.wikipedia.org... The Anthony dollar was replaced by the Sacagawea dollar in 2000. Sacagawea was the American Indian woman who served as guide to the Lewis and Clark expedition.

I don't see a good reason to change the paper currency, but it's hard to get worked up about the issue. Every change brings a spate of counterfeiting and confusion, especially to foreign users of US currency.
SNP1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2015 6:48:51 PM
At 9/19/2015 6:43:54 PM, Wylted wrote:

African Americans received the right to vote in the 1800s. Black and white women got the right to vote as a result of the women's suffrage movement.

They had the right, but many counties and states had ways to prevent African Americans from voting until the Voting Rights Act of 1965. Before that act the 14th and 15th Amendments were near useless in the matter of African American Suffrage.
#WarOnDDO
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2015 6:54:12 PM
At 9/19/2015 6:48:51 PM, SNP1 wrote:
At 9/19/2015 6:43:54 PM, Wylted wrote:

They had the right, but many counties and states had ways to prevent African Americans from voting until the Voting Rights Act of 1965. Before that act the 14th and 15th Amendments were near useless in the matter of African American Suffrage.

Sure there is also barriers to voting now, he system isn't perfect, but essentially Susan B Anthony led a movement that gave the majority of Americans (women) the right to vote.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2015 7:00:45 PM
Okay, let's take African American women out of it. Women make up 52% of the population or about that and African American women probably made up like 4% of the total population. So Susan BAnthony still did an impressive job, helping out almost 50% of all Americans.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2015 7:03:58 PM
At 9/19/2015 6:47:37 PM, RoyLatham wrote:

Susan B. Anthony appeared on the US dollar coin. https://en.wikipedia.org... The Anthony dollar was replaced by the Sacagawea dollar in 2000. Sacagawea was the American Indian woman who served as guide to the Lewis and Clark expedition.

I don't see a good reason to change the paper currency, but it's hard to get worked up about the issue. Every change brings a spate of counterfeiting and confusion, especially to foreign users of US currency.

I don't see any point in changing it either. I don't support it, but on the other hand there are probably tons of people who are certainly equivalent to the people currently on currency.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2015 7:06:39 PM
I didn't want to go into that much detail Roy, because it takes the whole thread in an unintended direction, but I oppose state issued currency. So I'd say don't put anybody's face on it. If you want to exchange some goods for bank issued currency, fine. Maybe the founder of Bank of America can be on my money or something.
Lee001
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2015 7:23:53 PM

Would that necessarily be a bad thing?

I mean, I don't think we should go back and change it. Susan B. Anthony is on the silver dollar coin and Circulating Coins:
" Helen Keller on the reverse of the Alabama quarter: 2003
" Sacagawea on the dollar coin: 1999-Present
" Susan B. Anthony on the dollar coin: 1979-1981

Commemorative Coins:
" Queen Isabella of Spain on the Columbian Exposition Quarter Dollar: 1893
" Eunice Kennedy Shriver Silver Dollar: 1995
" Virginia Dare, with her mother Eleonor Dare, on the Roanoke Island, North Carolina Half Dollar: 1937

I mean, at least we have women on some coins, its just the idea that its money we don't necessarily use.
"Condoms are societal constructs created by the government to restrain 'Murican freedom!"-SolonKR

"But I jest and digress (sick rhymes, yo); every boob is equal in the eyes of the Lord."- SolonKR

"Oh Hey, Seeing Artichokes Makes Me Want to Have Sex."- SolonKR

"Yep, but anyone who touches my hair immediately ascends to the heavens..You're already an angel, so touching my hair can do nothing <3" -SolonKR

My hubby Hayd <3 <3
Lee001
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2015 7:32:24 PM
I do believe there should be a women on a bill that is commonly used. But in todays society is all about patriarchy, so putting a women on a bill is completely absurd and unacceptable!
"Condoms are societal constructs created by the government to restrain 'Murican freedom!"-SolonKR

"But I jest and digress (sick rhymes, yo); every boob is equal in the eyes of the Lord."- SolonKR

"Yep, but anyone who touches my hair immediately ascends to the heavens..You're already an angel, so touching my hair can do nothing <3" -SolonKR

My hubby Hayd <3 <3
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2015 8:25:47 PM
At 9/19/2015 7:32:24 PM, Lee001 wrote:
I do believe there should be a women on a bill that is commonly used. But in todays society is all about patriarchy, so putting a women on a bill is completely absurd and unacceptable!

It's been men on the dollars for as long as we've had a paper currency. It's not because putting a woman on a dollar is unacceptable - that's overzealous. There's no reason to change it.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2015 9:00:27 PM
I fundamentally disagree with the claim in the OP that these figures did not help out a majority of the nation. Keep in mind that there are more women than men in this country. Moreover, improving the socio-economic equality of women benefited the men of this country too, by allowing women to contribute more directly to our economy and society.

You're also forgetting all the contributions that these women made for our country besides fighting for women. You're post is INCREDIBLY demeaning to them in that regard. Dorothea Dix did a lot to revolutionize our mental health system, Harriet Tubman fought slavery, Eleanor Roosevelt was a representative to the UN and fought for racial equality and important social programs, Rachel Carson was an environmental activist, Rosa Parks was a symbol of the Equal Rights movement, and I could go on. Please tell me that you think that fighting against slavery, against environmental degradation, against inequality, and against poor medical care are causes that benefitted the entire nation.

Plus, I don't get why benefiting a majority is strictly necessary. Isn't that a bit narrow-minded? Some of the worlds most renowned advocates fought for minorities. Oftentimes it requires greater bravery and sacrifice to defend the oppressed minority than it does to defend the annoyed majority. Just look at MLK for an example of this. We should award people positions on our money based on the ideals they stood for and their character as a person, in addition to their contributions to this nation, but the latter ought not to be the sole criterion.

So, yes, I think it would be nice to see a woman on the dollar. My personal favorites are Eleanor Rooselvelt, Dorothea Dix, Rachel Carson, and Susan B. Anthony.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2015 9:00:54 PM

Please see my post.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2015 10:03:36 PM
We should base who gets on currency in merit, not gender. Whether or not the next person should be a woman should also depend on whether there's a more deserving male.

Eleanor Roosevelt should be the next woman on any currency.

Martin Luther King Jr. should be the next man.

But to be honest, if I had to choose between the two, I'd take the latter.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2015 10:05:02 PM
Though I think it's ironic we're taking off the first Secretary of the Treasury off of the $10 bill. I'd keep it the same.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
Lee001
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2015 10:19:54 PM
At 9/19/2015 8:25:47 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

It's been men on the dollars for as long as we've had a paper currency. It's not because putting a woman on a dollar is unacceptable - that's overzealous. There's no reason to change it.

I know, but I was saying that there's no reason to try and fix things now. But even if we did try to put a women on a bill today, it would be a big controversial topic because we live under patriarchy rule, still in the 21st century.

My hubby Hayd <3 <3
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2015 10:29:54 PM
At 9/19/2015 10:19:54 PM, Lee001 wrote:

I know, but I was saying that there's no reason to try and fix things now. But even if we did try to put a women on a bill today, it would be a big controversial topic because we live under patriarchy rule, still in the 21st century.

We don't live under a patriarchal rule in a world that a woman in the worst of scandals is at the top of the Democratic Primary polling for the office of the Presidency.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
Lee001
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2015 10:33:31 PM
At 9/19/2015 10:29:54 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

We don't live under a patriarchal rule in a world that a woman in the worst of scandals is at the top of the Democratic Primary polling for the office of the Presidency.

That's very rare though. We don't see many women high up there in rankings. I forget who said it, but it was a presidential candidate he said "There is not a war on women, there I a war inside of a women" what does that tell you? Sexism still exist to a high extent.

My hubby Hayd <3 <3
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2015 10:38:41 PM
Historical figures should not appear on currency. Bring back Lady Liberty. It's depressing to compare the designs of old coins such as the walking liberty half dollar with the terribly ugly coins that followed. Compare the standing Liberty quarter to the Washington quarter. The only coin in circulation with a decent design is the dime
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2015 10:41:15 PM
At 9/19/2015 10:33:31 PM, Lee001 wrote:
At 9/19/2015 10:29:54 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

That's very rare though. We don't see many women high up there in rankings. I forget who said it, but it was a presidential candidate he said "There is not a war on women, there is a war inside of a women" what does that tell you? Sexism still exist to a high extent.

There's just less women in federal politics - of course we see more men on the stage.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
XLAV
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2015 1:07:42 PM
At 9/20/2015 11:41:23 AM, Wylted wrote:
I hope to see Donald Trump get his face on some currency or Mount Rushmore.

I want his face carved on the moon.