Jump to topic:

I am short

Gingeral3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2015 9:44:43 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I am a short male. My height is so short that most women are either my height or taller. I was treated as a kid in high school despite the fact i was growing facial hair before 90% of my school. Being short is a curse. People don't realize it but being short means people will think you are weak, uninteresting, stupid or just unimportant. Nobody takes you seriously. Even kids treat you like a kid. Seeing 6th graders that are as tall as me is discouraging. Height gives you importance and meaning. The taller you are, the more important you are, the more people look up to you (literally and metaphorically), the more people think you are worth something. Short people are not worth anything. That is why short people must prove themselves in other ways. Short people must work out to gain muscle, they must be intimidating and cannot be too care free or else they will seem like kids. To the short people on this site, especially the males, there is still hope to reclaim your authority. Don't lose hope.
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2015 11:44:49 PM
At 9/19/2015 9:44:43 PM, Gingeral3 wrote:
I am a short male. My height is so short that most women are either my height or taller. I was treated as a kid in high school despite the fact i was growing facial hair before 90% of my school. Being short is a curse. People don't realize it but being short means people will think you are weak, uninteresting, stupid or just unimportant. Nobody takes you seriously. Even kids treat you like a kid. Seeing 6th graders that are as tall as me is discouraging. Height gives you importance and meaning. The taller you are, the more important you are, the more people look up to you (literally and metaphorically), the more people think you are worth something. Short people are not worth anything. That is why short people must prove themselves in other ways. Short people must work out to gain muscle, they must be intimidating and cannot be too care free or else they will seem like kids. To the short people on this site, especially the males, there is still hope to reclaim your authority. Don't lose hope.

Height doesn't necessarily give you significance. I know this one *really* tall guy. Everyone who I know thinks he's a bum.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Emilrose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2015 12:32:26 PM
Unless you're 1 ft, this post is really unnecessary.

And just date a dwarf if you're worried about not being taller.
Commentator on a picture with David Cameron and a Cat: 'Amazing what you can achieve with photoshop these days. I'm sure that used to be a pig.'

Commentator on Hillary Clinton: 'If Clinton is now what passes for progressive, maybe this country deserves Trump.'

Commentator on British parliament: 'All that talent in one place, where is Ebola when you need it?'

John Kerry on words: 'These aren't just words, folks.'
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2015 8:39:28 PM
At 9/20/2015 1:07:00 PM, XLAV wrote:
Stalin was 5.4 ft.

What is your excuse?

I'm taller than Stalin.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
FourTrouble
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2015 3:01:47 AM

The problem is sexism, not your height. The workings of patriarchy impose certain gender roles on men and women, and the system oppresses anyone who doesn't comply with those gender stereotypes. Trying to compensate by building muscles and whatnot isn't the solution because that just perpetuates the same sexist gender stereotypes. You're never gonna feel comfortable in your own skin if you're constantly trying to attain a masculine ideal imposed by the patriarchy.

I think a short dude who embraces his shortness is infinitely better off than a short dude who spends his whole life trying to comply with a sexist gender stereotype. You can't control how others treat you, but you certainly can control how you respond to others. If you want people to look up to you, if you want to reclaim your authority, you need to challenge the underlying workings of patriarchy - talk to some feminists, engage them in discussion, think about ways to subvert patriarchal hegemony. There's lots of folks out there who relate with your struggles - lots of short men but also lots of short women, women who feel oppressed in different ways, and men who feel oppressed in different ways - and those people will respect you for who you are.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2015 3:16:15 AM

Nothing wrong with being short, dude. People are what they are... don't worry about what you can't control.
Tsar of DDO
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2015 11:41:52 AM
I'm short also. There is no patriarchy holding me down. I'm not sure what Ft is talking about. You can be short yet extremely masculine. I know some short people like to put on a lot of muscles to make up for it, and that's fine, though it won't fix the low self esteem you have. You should know that being short has some huge advantages though. I'm 33 and have no problem sleeping with 18 year old girls because they aren't intimidated by me or my size for example.

Being short means people will let their guard up more around you, and you can build closer rapport with them. This allows closer friendships and more opportunities for sex. Another advantage is that you'll be forgiven easier if you push the lines. I can say whatever I want and people just aren't intimidated by me. People are actually quicker to fight you, and go too far with it, when they're intimidated by you. This is why you hear of NFL players and body builders getting killed when they have beef with people.