Jump to topic:

So I live near the Scientologist HQ

ShabShoral
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2015 12:27:10 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
For those that don't know, Clearwater, Florida is one of the main hubs of Scientologists, who call it the "Spiritual Headquarters" of Scientology.

They own a LOT of the city (they essentially planned to take it over in the '70s: http://www.antisectes.net...), and one of the buildings on the main street is a "Scientologist Information Center".

Needless to say, I went inside to see how batshit crazy it could be.

I was immediately greeted by literally one of the most beautiful and charismatic women I've ever seen (I'm not exaggerating). She was friendly to the point where I was instantly disturbed by the atmosphere. I looked around, and in this place were stacks of LRH books and DVDs, along with a damn touchscreen interface that I assume plays informational videos about Scientology (when it wasn't in use, it literally just had the Scientology symbol hovering on loop like something straight out of a dystopian sci-fi movie).

I bought a copy of Dianetics (I feel kind of bad for giving these people money, but A), I wanted a good comedy to read, and B), I plan on writing down every piece of BS in it and coming back to grill these people), and then the woman starts to hold a personal conversation with me. She was using incredibly good rapport-building techniques to the point where I wanted to run out of the building because I was so skeeved out.

This place actually really unnerved me. The whole thing just felt so insidious and cult-like, and that's coming from an Objectivist, for God's sake. I can't wait to go back and actually discuss this BS with them.
"This site is trash as a debate site. It's club penguin for dysfunctional adults."

~ Skepsikyma <3

"Your idea of good writing is like Spinoza mixed with Heidegger."

~ Dylly Dylly Cat Cat

"You seem to aspire to be a cross between a Jewish hipster, an old school WASP aristocrat, and a political iconoclast"

~ Thett the Mighty

"fvck omg ur face"

~ Liz
ShabShoral
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2015 12:28:38 AM
I'm not kidding about how charismatic these people are. I've never seen anything like it.
"This site is trash as a debate site. It's club penguin for dysfunctional adults."

~ Skepsikyma <3

~ Dylly Dylly Cat Cat

"You seem to aspire to be a cross between a Jewish hipster, an old school WASP aristocrat, and a political iconoclast"

~ Thett the Mighty

"fvck omg ur face"

~ Liz
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2015 12:51:10 AM
At 9/21/2015 12:27:10 AM, ShabShoral wrote:
This place actually really unnerved me. The whole thing just felt so insidious and cult-like, and that's coming from an Objectivist, for God's sake. I can't wait to go back and actually discuss this BS with them.

I hope you recover.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
YamaVonKarma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2015 2:11:13 AM
At 9/21/2015 12:28:38 AM, ShabShoral wrote:
I'm not kidding about how charismatic these people are. I've never seen anything like it.

It takes some doing but you can get so charismatic that you essentially become hypnotic. It usually works better when you're someone already physically attractive to the other sex too. I can do it with some women but this girl sounds like she's inhuman.
People who I've called as mafia DP1:
TUF, and YYW
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2015 2:35:58 AM
For those that don't know, Clearwater, Florida is one of the main hubs of Scientologists, who call it the "Spiritual Headquarters" of Scientology.

They own a LOT of the city (they essentially planned to take it over in the '70s: http://www.antisectes.net...), and one of the buildings on the main street is a "Scientologist Information Center".

I was immediately greeted by literally one of the most beautiful and charismatic women I've ever seen (I'm not exaggerating). She was friendly to the point where I was instantly disturbed by the atmosphere. I looked around, and in this place were stacks of LRH books and DVDs, along with a damn touchscreen interface that I assume plays informational videos about Scientology (when it wasn't in use, it literally just had the Scientology symbol hovering on loop like something straight out of a dystopian sci-fi movie).

I bought a copy of Dianetics (I feel kind of bad for giving these people money, but A), I wanted a good comedy to read, and B), I plan on writing down every piece of BS in it and coming back to grill these people), and then the woman starts to hold a personal conversation with me. She was using incredibly good rapport-building techniques to the point where I wanted to run out of the building because I was so skeeved out.

They have answers to everything. Don't go back.
YamaVonKarma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2015 2:39:51 AM
At 9/21/2015 2:35:58 AM, Wylted wrote:

^Truth
These people could honestly sell you your own soul for a ridiculous profit.
People who I've called as mafia DP1:
TUF, and YYW
ShabShoral
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2015 2:43:44 AM

It's an overwhelming sense of morbid curiosity that's driving me back, and I doubt that I can suppress it.

~ Skepsikyma <3

~ Dylly Dylly Cat Cat

~ Thett the Mighty

"fvck omg ur face"

~ Liz
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2015 8:01:02 AM
At 9/21/2015 2:43:44 AM, ShabShoral wrote:

It's an overwhelming sense of morbid curiosity that's driving me back, and I doubt that I can suppress it.

It will be extremely uncomfortable to leave, and they may follow you, stand in your way etc. they're not known for being overly coercive but it's really something hard to fight. You can watch all types of documentaries on them and get an insiders perspective in other ways. I have a morbid curious it's for cults as well.
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2015 12:59:41 PM
At 9/21/2015 12:51:10 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

I hope you recover.

+1.

I would never even consider entering a Scientology HQ...
The thing is, I hate relativism. I hate relativism more than I hate everything else, excepting, maybe, fibreglass powerboats... What it overlooks, to put it briefly and crudely, is the fixed structure of human nature. - Jerry Fodor

Don't be a stat cynic:
http://www.debate.org...

Response to conservative views on deforestation:
http://www.debate.org...

Topics I'd like to debate (not debating ATM): http://tinyurl.com...
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2015 7:54:31 AM

Get well soon :P
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass