Jump to topic:

Being a Muslim on DDO...

ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2015 2:01:03 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Earlier today, I got this message, from whose name I'll remove for his anonymity:
"Everyone knows Mohammed massacre innocent people, how can you be a part of that religion."

About a year ago, I'd have argued down with this person, futilely, because once Islamophobic, always Islamophobic.

I'm at the point now, ... where I just find it funny... I'm like, yup. DOWN WITH THE NON-BELIEVERS! BOOM!
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2015 2:34:09 AM
<3 nac
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2015 12:53:47 PM
At 9/21/2015 2:01:03 AM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
Earlier today, I got this message, from whose name I'll remove for his anonymity:
"Everyone knows Mohammed massacre innocent people, how can you be a part of that religion."

About a year ago, I'd have argued down with this person, futilely, because once Islamophobic, always Islamophobic.

I'm at the point now, ... where I just find it funny... I'm like, yup. DOWN WITH THE NON-BELIEVERS! BOOM!

I feel yah, about every now and then I get a PM by some idiot telling me that I'm a F@gg and deserve to burn because I'm an abomination. I tell them to go fvck themselves. I also get weird PMs from people disliking my political beliefs, but I don't think it's as weird as the guy who PM'd me and YYW about our opinions on Gay torture.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2015 12:53:58 PM
At 9/21/2015 2:34:09 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
<3 nac

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

Porkloin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2015 1:20:28 PM
.... once Islamophobic, always Islamophobic.

I'd say that's an incorrect generalization. However, it's going to be true for many people, enough that I think this is a good topic.

Okay, you are a Muslim. Honest question here - are you 100% separate from the more radical elements of your faith? Isn't it expected of all Muslims that they will act against those who do not share their beliefs?

No question that there are plenty of uninformed if not downright silly people that will be disparaging of you just because you're Muslim. The flip side of this is that for huge numbers of people, world-wide, when they look around and ask what is the main problem the world currently has, as far as terrorism, rape, murder, etc., their answer will be radical Islam.

While I know nothing of you, personally, I do think the U.S. and many countries should be doing more to combat radical Islam, and I think there are serious questions about how to ensure that Muslims in one's home country do not contribute to the harmful, radical actions.

Here is my opinion, that I've previously written about:

Radical Islam is an evident, and growing danger. While I don't go in for 'conspiracy theories," what I do see is that there is usually pressure, within the Muslim community, toward things which our country, in the end, will not tolerate, and which we should probably, in my opinion, be taking steps to curtail.

There"s a range of mosques in the US that are more or less radical. Some, perhaps, are not radical at all. Some definitely are, like The Islamic Society of Boston " where the Tsarnaev brothers (of the Boston bombing) went " and which has many proven ties to terrorism.

The mosque"s founder, Abdurahman Alamoudi, got 23 years in prison, in 2004, for raising money for Al Qaeda and for plotting terrorism.

Other mosque officials have tried to send millions of Dollars to Palestinian suicide bombers, have been banned from the U.S. for issuing orders to kill U.S. soldiers, and, in the case of Aafia Siddiqui, "sentenced to 86 years in prison in 2010 for planning a New York chemical attack."

So, there is no reasonable doubt, at all, that this mosque has an agenda against the U.S., against the west, and that it teaches people to attack and kill.

For all Muslims, there is the duty of Jihad " to struggle and resist all who are non-Muslims, and to struggle and resist all policies and institutions that are non-Muslim. I have never seen any real renouncing of this, from any Muslim organization. I also think that if there was, severe action would be taken against them by the majority of Muslim organizations.

Seems to me that "we" (Americans) are letting it all slide, in the name of tolerance, multi-culturalism, religious freedom and Political Correctness.

We do have examples of "home-grown terrorists" and Muslim leaders who are preaching not just "struggling and resisting," but outright killing of non-Muslims and acts of terrorism, and they are at work right now, within the U.S.

As for the majority of U.S. Muslims, I think there is always pressure toward being more radical. Perhaps it is slight and subtle, or in some mosques it"s more active and virulent. Sometimes it only takes one mullah, speaking in private with one other person, to convince them that it is their "Islamic duty" to engage in outright terrorism.

Recently, I heard a radio interview with the parent of a young man who had been persuaded to become a suicide bomber, and who fulfilled that mission. It does not take many bombings to make real trouble. The parent was no different than anybody else " they loved their son and was tremendously sad at what had happened. The son had fallen in with the wrong people at a mosque, and the first thing told to the son was that it was his Islamic duty to lie to his parents, to disguise what was happening.

I do wonder where it"s all going, where it will end up. I wonder how much stuff is being disguised right now. For sure, it"s not "nothing."
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2015 2:04:22 PM
You shouldn't take a guy who's incapable of using proper grammar seriously. (Unless he's not a native of the English language, in which case...)
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2015 2:06:17 PM
At 9/21/2015 12:53:47 PM, lannan13 wrote:

I feel yah, about every now and then I get a PM by some idiot telling me that I'm a F@gg and deserve to burn because I'm an abomination. I tell them to go fvck themselves. I also get weird PMs from people disliking my political beliefs, but I don't think it's as weird as the guy who PM'd me and YYW about our opinions on Gay torture.

I don't know why you would be receiving such messages, considering that your profile states you're interested in women. It must be a fairly older user.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2015 2:10:27 PM

I think just being a general theist on this site is accompanied by being attacked by the non-believers.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2015 2:46:57 PM
At 9/21/2015 2:06:17 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

I don't know why you would be receiving such messages, considering that your profile states you're interested in women. It must be a fairly older user.

Indeed.

1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2015 3:23:47 PM
At 9/21/2015 2:04:22 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
You shouldn't take a guy who's incapable of using proper grammar seriously. (Unless he's not a native of the English language, in which case...)

Lol I was thinking the same thing.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
ClashnBoom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2015 4:29:54 PM

I feel yah, about every now and then I get a PM by some idiot telling me that I'm a F@gg and deserve to burn because I'm an abomination.
Yup. I was there in your little depressed phase. Rumor has it you considered taking your own life. (I'm serious.)
But why? Your beliefs are a little odd but why?

I tell them to go fvck themselves. I used to entertain them and roast them but now I just say well I don't give damn. Lol.

I also get weird PMs from people disliking my political beliefs, but I don't think it's as weird as the guy who PM'd me and YYW about our opinions on Gay torture.

Wait what? Gay torture people support that?
I will change my sig weekly. Week 4.

Fun fact of the week
Clumsy alien Jar Jar Binks was introduced in The Phantom Menace for comic relief, but he was initially a two-faced mercenary who was to betray Qui-Gon Jinn, a Jedi Master played by Liam Neeson.

Joke of the week:
Nerd 1: "Why can't you trust atoms?"
Nerd 2: : "Cause they make everything up!"
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2015 6:24:31 PM

I never get any nasty PM. I feel very neglected. I mean, I am plenty insulting, why can't I get a stalker?
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2015 9:31:11 PM
At 9/21/2015 6:24:31 PM, TBR wrote:

I never get any nasty PM. I feel very neglected. I mean, I am plenty insulting, why can't I get a stalker?

Well if you were more public I feel like more people would target you, but you're kinda unknown.

TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2015 9:52:34 PM
Well if you were more public I feel like more people would target you, but you're kinda unknown.

I have been as offensive as YOU!
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2015 9:53:22 PM
At 9/21/2015 9:52:34 PM, TBR wrote:

Wait, what have I done?

TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2015 10:02:56 PM

Wait, what have I done?

Well.... That is a good question. Perhaps it is my truly offensiveness that scares them away to bother the sublime members like yourself.
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2015 10:04:17 PM
At 9/21/2015 10:02:56 PM, TBR wrote:

Wait, what have I done?

Well.... That is a good question. Perhaps it is my truly offensiveness that scares them away to bother the sublime members like yourself.

Thanks for the complament, though I doubt I'm that good.

Varrack
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2015 11:11:31 PM
Ok. I will admit that I have been that guy who PM'd someone about his beliefs. But that was a one-timer, and I was less mature then. As for myself, I haven't really been sent anything derogatory.
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2015 11:23:12 PM

Yeah, I'm a total bitch at times, I'm gay, I'm an atheist, and I defend Islam. I should be getting A LOT more hate than I do. Am I too scary? ='( forevaralone
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2015 11:25:56 PM
@Lannan - I've never gotten anti-gay PMs...which is odd I think. Most people mistake me for a girl...

@Esocial - *massive hugs* Let the h8trs h8, and don't get ir8. We luv you.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2015 11:29:40 PM

There going to believe what they want anyway. Nothing you can do,. Glad you've learned a healthy way to deal with it.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2015 11:30:56 PM
Occasionally I get a PM from Max Wallace calling me an idiot, which kind of amuses me, so I just humor him and then press the stop thread button
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2015 11:32:43 PM
At 9/21/2015 11:25:56 PM, bsh1 wrote:
@Lannan - I've never gotten anti-gay PMs...which is odd I think. Most people mistake me for a girl...

LANNAN spends a lot of time in the polls, so you see the sort of mentality he has to deal with, that we don't.

@Esocial - *massive hugs* Let the h8trs h8, and don't get ir8. We luv you.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2015 11:34:30 PM
At 9/21/2015 11:11:31 PM, Varrack wrote:
Ok. I will admit that I have been that guy who PM'd someone about his beliefs. But that was a one-timer, and I was less mature then. As for myself, I haven't really been sent anything derogatory.

Would you like to be sent something derogatory ;)
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2015 11:34:42 PM
Only one member has ever sent me a PM with negative regards to me being gay. He is no longer with us, so whatever.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2015 11:35:15 PM
At 9/21/2015 11:32:43 PM, Wylted wrote:

LANNAN spends a lot of time in the polls, so you see the sort of mentality he has to deal with, that we don't.

Ah...I see.

"that we don't." It almost sounds as if you're coming out of the closet Wylted. I always suspected...

Yeah...Though, it does get under my skin when people mistake me for a girl...
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

Follow the DDOlympics

1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2015 11:38:06 PM
At 9/21/2015 11:23:12 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:

Yeah, I'm a total bitch at times, I'm gay, I'm an atheist, and I defend Islam. I should be getting A LOT more hate than I do. Am I too scary? ='( forevaralone

They just don't feel like getting a wall of text on why they're wrong and stupid.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2015 11:41:14 PM
At 9/21/2015 11:35:15 PM, bsh1 wrote:

Ah...I see.

"that we don't." It almost sounds as if you're coming out of the closet Wylted. I always suspected...

I thought you were a black chick who was really into whoopi Goldberg at first, then when I found out you were a guy and gay, I just thought you were a black guy who wanted to be whoopi Goldberg.

I meant we'll all catch more crap about who we are as individuals if we were frequenters of the poll section, I usually joke back, but I had a feeling if Indid there, people would get the wrong impression about me.
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2015 11:43:38 PM
At 9/21/2015 11:41:14 PM, Wylted wrote:
At 9/21/2015 11:35:15 PM, bsh1 wrote:

Ah...I see.

I thought you were a black chick who was really into whoopi Goldberg at first, then when I found out you were a guy and gay, I just thought you were a black guy who wanted to be whoopi Goldberg.

Nope, lol. White, blonde, blue-eyed gay guy. And I don't want to be Whoopi Goldberg...just...no...

I meant we'll all catch more crap about who we are as individuals if we were frequenters of the poll section, I usually joke back, but I had a feeling if Indid there, people would get the wrong impression about me.

Ah...okay.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

Yassine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2015 11:52:46 PM

- I once got like 30 messages of all sorts of hate comments. Didn't even bother to read them.

- I found that to be almost always true. I wouldn't generalise though. I remember ChristianPunk had a attitude against Islam, but after some discussions he has changed his opinions a lot. This can also be said about Zarroette, who was an outspoken anti-Islamist, but now she is pro-Islam.

- Indeed. It becomes amusing.
Current Debates:

Islam is not a religion of peace vs. @ Lutonator:
* http://www.debate.org...