Jump to topic:

Workplace Advice

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2015 3:27:35 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
I can't say what prompts my saying this, and I think it's fairly obvious, but idk... maybe not.

If you have a job, in that job you are going to make mistakes. When you do, do not blame other people for those mistakes. Accept responsibility for them, and own them, and apologize to the people who your bad judgment hurt. I say this because it will happen, and when you do, people forgive those who accept responsibility. People severely judge people who blame other people, all the time, for their problems.

The thing is that professional communities are usually pretty small worlds. Everybody knows everybody; or everybody who matters knows everybody else, and if you do that enough times, people will talk, and if you blame someone else for your incompetence, negligence, or whatever... that will come back to bite you when the enemies you make are in a position to help you or hurt you.

You never want to burn bridges like that, but today, someone burned a bridge with me that will be very hard for them to rebuild. They may be in a position of power relative to me today, but in a year I could be his boss... or at least his equal. When he comes to me and asks me for help... I will have no help to give.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2015 3:39:52 AM
I will echo this. Own mistakes. There is NO ONE who expects you to make the right choice every time. They know when a mistake was made. When you OWN it you gain so much more than dodging it.

"I f**ked up. Let me fix it" will get you lots of good opportunities.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2015 3:40:46 AM
At 9/25/2015 3:39:52 AM, TBR wrote:
"I f**ked up. Let me fix it" will get you lots of good opportunities.

Truth, if ever it was spoken.