Jump to topic:

Building my own computer

Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2015 9:50:49 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I want to do it, but have never done it before.

Here's the deal, I like gaming and my laptop just can't keep up anymore. Unfortunately, being a laptop - it isn't upgradable in the slightest graphics card wise.

Has anyone here ever done it before? What am I looking at price-wise if I want to build a decent gaming computer?

Lastly, I know I can find all this info out on the web, but I am hoping someone here has personal experience with this stuff so I can get a more trustworthy opinion.

(I did make the same post in the tech thread, but being the tech thread I figured I should re-post this somewhere with signs of life).
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
triangle.128k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2015 11:08:07 PM
At 9/26/2015 9:50:49 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:

Here's the deal, I like gaming and my laptop just can't keep up anymore. Unfortunately, being a laptop - it isn't upgradable in the slightest graphics card wise.

Has anyone here ever done it before? What am I looking at price-wise if I want to build a decent gaming computer?

Lastly, I know I can find all this info out on the web, but I am hoping someone here has personal experience with this stuff so I can get a more trustworthy opinion.

(I did make the same post in the tech thread, but being the tech thread I figured I should re-post this somewhere with signs of life).

https://www.youtube.com...
This video helped me build my computer.

If you need help with parts, can you answer these questions for me?

1. What's your budget on buying a PC? If you need a monitor, keyboard, speakers and etc. How much money are you willing to dedicate to each?
2. Are there any specifications you would like?
3. Do you have a Monitor? If not, do you care much about the display quality of a monitor?
Devilry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2015 11:14:59 PM
Go find the appropriate reddit. But as far as I know, anyone spending over 1000 bucks on a homemade computer is just throwing money away.
: : : At 11/15/2016 6:22:17 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
: That's not racism. Thats economics.
ShabShoral
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2015 4:41:53 AM

Newegg is your friend.

If you give me a budget and expectations, I can throw together some parts for you. The actual physical "building" is fairly straightforward.
"This site is trash as a debate site. It's club penguin for dysfunctional adults."

~ Skepsikyma <3

"Your idea of good writing is like Spinoza mixed with Heidegger."

~ Dylly Dylly Cat Cat

"You seem to aspire to be a cross between a Jewish hipster, an old school WASP aristocrat, and a political iconoclast"

~ Thett the Mighty
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2015 8:43:47 AM
At 9/26/2015 11:08:07 PM, triangle.128k wrote:

https://www.youtube.com...
This video helped me build my computer.

Thanks for the link. I added that video to my 'favorites' playlist on youtube for future reference.

If you need help with parts, can you answer these questions for me?

1. What's your budget on buying a PC? If you need a monitor, keyboard, speakers and etc. How much money are you willing to dedicate to each?

I would like to spend between $500 - $800 in total. I already have a monitor, keyboard, speakers, etc. all the basics are covered - all I need now is the actual computer.

2. Are there any specifications you would like?

Nothing in particular. Just something that can run the latest games and then some. I'd like it to run a windows OS, but besides that, no.

3. Do you have a Monitor? If not, do you care much about the display quality of a monitor?

I do have a monitor atm, it's capable of 1080p. Currently using it for my laptop via HDMI cable.
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2015 8:46:49 AM
At 9/26/2015 11:14:59 PM, Devilry wrote:
Go find the appropriate reddit. But as far as I know, anyone spending over 1000 bucks on a homemade computer is just throwing money away.

Yeah I'm looking to spend between $500 - $800 on it. I can't justify spending anything more than that. I'm also familiar with the community here, thus I naturally trust the opinions here more, hence why I came here first. I will, without a doubt, do further research after gaining what I can from here.
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2015 9:04:02 AM
At 9/27/2015 4:41:53 AM, ShabShoral wrote:

Newegg is your friend.

Wow man, thank you for that site! I'll certainly utilize it.

If you give me a budget and expectations, I can throw together some parts for you. The actual physical "building" is fairly straightforward.

My budget would be between $500 - $800, preferably closer to the lower end of that range. I just want something for gaming. Everything else comes second since I still have a solid laptop that I can use for anything else.

My only issue in all this is that I know nothing about the differences in graphics cards, etc. I do think I'd like an Intel Core i7, since that seems to be in alot of newer builds. Would like 8GB of ram, with room to upgrade to 16 or even 32. I already have a monitor, keyboard, and speakers. I know little-to-nothing about motherboards or tower cases but in regards to the latter I don't need anything fancy.
Ted_Kord_Pokemon_Master
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2015 11:56:19 AM

I made a gaming PC just last week.

There alot of sites and vids actually. Like TomsHardware forum and Linustechtips and this video. http://www.google.com...

Btw. It's best to use an Nvidia graphics cars an Intel I5 or I7,
Look at my sig.
ShabShoral
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2015 6:20:05 PM
At 9/27/2015 9:04:02 AM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
At 9/27/2015 4:41:53 AM, ShabShoral wrote:

Newegg is your friend.

Wow man, thank you for that site! I'll certainly utilize it.

My budget would be between $500 - $800, preferably closer to the lower end of that range. I just want something for gaming. Everything else comes second since I still have a solid laptop that I can use for anything else.

My only issue in all this is that I know nothing about the differences in graphics cards, etc. I do think I'd like an Intel Core i7, since that seems to be in alot of newer builds. Would like 8GB of ram, with room to upgrade to 16 or even 32. I already have a monitor, keyboard, and speakers. I know little-to-nothing about motherboards or tower cases but in regards to the latter I don't need anything fancy.

What games do you want to run and do you have a preference for the graphics settings?

i5s are really just about as good for gaming as i7s - the only real advantage of i7s comes if you're doing video rendering and stuff like that. I would get an i5 and put the saved money towards a gpu.
"This site is trash as a debate site. It's club penguin for dysfunctional adults."

~ Skepsikyma <3

"Your idea of good writing is like Spinoza mixed with Heidegger."

~ Dylly Dylly Cat Cat

"You seem to aspire to be a cross between a Jewish hipster, an old school WASP aristocrat, and a political iconoclast"

~ Thett the Mighty
n7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2015 11:14:12 PM

Price-wise, this website lets you choose.

http://choosemypc.net...

There's also a list of builds here
https://www.reddit.com...
404 coherent debate topic not found. Please restart the debate with clear resolution.

Uphold Marxist-Leninist-Maoist-Sargonist-n7ism.