Jump to topic:

Snacks

Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2015 9:37:08 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Since I've started college I've been spending large amounts of money on snacks. Often I just have nothing better to do than snack (for instance, at one point during the week I have 2 hours and 50 minutes in between classes and it's too much trouble for my mom to drive me there and back multiple times during the day).
Also, just the instant availability of vending machines, a relatively nearby donut place, and the college bookstore (which sells Twix) makes it very easy for me to just blow money on snacks.
How can I stop snacking so much?
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2015 10:49:16 PM
At 10/1/2015 9:37:08 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
Since I've started college I've been spending large amounts of money on snacks. Often I just have nothing better to do than snack (for instance, at one point during the week I have 2 hours and 50 minutes in between classes and it's too much trouble for my mom to drive me there and back multiple times during the day).
Also, just the instant availability of vending machines, a relatively nearby donut place, and the college bookstore (which sells Twix) makes it very easy for me to just blow money on snacks.

http://www.salon.com...
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2015 12:34:16 AM
At 10/1/2015 9:39:22 PM, Devilry wrote:
Does your college have a gym?

Yes it does. But I've never used it.

The DDO Blog:

Devilry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2015 12:38:44 AM
At 10/2/2015 12:34:16 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
At 10/1/2015 9:39:22 PM, Devilry wrote:
Does your college have a gym?

Yes it does. But I've never used it.

You should use it then. It's much easier to replace your habits than it is to just forget about them. (And in fact, it's almost impossible to just forget about them, and the eating snacks would only be replaced by a sort of consciousness of not eating snacks, which would then essentially amount to you waiting for yourself to fail.)
: : : At 11/15/2016 6:22:17 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
: That's not racism. Thats economics.
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2015 12:42:34 AM
Eat larger meals(?)
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2015 2:34:08 AM

Don't buy them.
Tsar of DDO
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2015 2:35:15 AM
At 10/2/2015 2:34:08 AM, YYW wrote:

Don't buy them.

That would be the ideal solution. The remaining question, then, is how to accomplish this.

The DDO Blog:

ShabShoral
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2015 2:49:43 AM

On Tuesdays, I have to be at school at 12 for Student Government, I have class from 2-3:15, and then class from 7-9:40.

On Wednesdays, I have a club meeting at 12:30, class from 5:30-6:45, and then from 7-9:40.

Thursdays I have class from 11-12:15 (though I usually talk to my professor for an hour after class and there's a club thing I can go to that runs from 12:30 to 1:30, so it isn't so bad) and then class from 2-3:15.

I may or may not eat breakfast. I usually eat snacks from vending machines until dinner, occasionally eating at the campus cafe.

Recently, I've been bringing my own blackberries. Blackberries are GREAT snacks, I'll tell you what.

I've just ordered 60 bottles of this stuff: https://www.soylent.com...

I've had the powdered version before (28 meals, so a bit) and I loved it. The pre-mixed version seems even more convenient.

I'm planning on just bringing three to school each day. It should eliminate all snacking.
"This site is trash as a debate site. It's club penguin for dysfunctional adults."

~ Skepsikyma <3

"Your idea of good writing is like Spinoza mixed with Heidegger."

~ Dylly Dylly Cat Cat

"You seem to aspire to be a cross between a Jewish hipster, an old school WASP aristocrat, and a political iconoclast"

~ Thett the Mighty

"fvck omg ur face"

~ Liz
Lee001
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2015 5:22:56 AM
I use to have the same problem but if you're eating just because you're bored, replace the snacks with water.

For example, I'm at college from 8am-9:30pm. Sooo yeah, I eat allot :p but I also have a 80oz jug of water I drink during the day. It keeps me full and I'm not tempted to eat junk food. You can also add fruit or lemon juice to the water :)
"Condoms are societal constructs created by the government to restrain 'Murican freedom!"-SolonKR

"But I jest and digress (sick rhymes, yo); every boob is equal in the eyes of the Lord."- SolonKR

"Oh Hey, Seeing Artichokes Makes Me Want to Have Sex."- SolonKR

"Yep, but anyone who touches my hair immediately ascends to the heavens..You're already an angel, so touching my hair can do nothing <3" -SolonKR

My hubby Hayd <3 <3
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2015 8:21:08 AM
At 10/2/2015 2:35:15 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
At 10/2/2015 2:34:08 AM, YYW wrote:

Don't buy them.

That would be the ideal solution. The remaining question, then, is how to accomplish this.

By eating larger meals for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Does your college not have a cafeteria or corporate vendors on campus? There's surely better options then just snacks from vending machines, and I'm sure you could find something more productive to do with your long breaks between classes. The gym suggestion made by another member is a good one, I used to do that between classes and it was great.
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...