Jump to topic:

How can I handle Heated Arguments?

SongHaGin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2015 5:05:00 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I know that Being on this website can lead to heated arguments, but how can I handle them without being mean or rude?
Also..... If you're you're looking for a friend, You are more than welcome to friend me.
SongHaGin
Emilrose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2015 5:49:58 PM
Hm, I don't necessarily see why an argument has to get 'heated' as such. You can disagree and voice your (differing) viewpoints clearly enough without it becoming too impassioned--that can potentially ruin a debate, unless you can present yourself calmly and be articulate with it.
Commentator on a picture with David Cameron and a Cat: 'Amazing what you can achieve with photoshop these days. I'm sure that used to be a pig.'

Commentator on Hillary Clinton: 'If Clinton is now what passes for progressive, maybe this country deserves Trump.'

Commentator on British parliament: 'All that talent in one place, where is Ebola when you need it?'

John Kerry on words: 'These aren't just words, folks.'
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2015 5:50:30 PM
At 10/16/2015 5:05:00 PM, SongHaGin wrote:
I know that Being on this website can lead to heated arguments, but how can I handle them without being mean or rude?
Also..... If you're you're looking for a friend, You are more than welcome to friend me.

Agree to disagree. Alternatively, wait a few minutes before responding to give yourself time to calm down.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
OneNationUnderGod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2015 7:50:24 PM
It's largely a matter of not taking anything on this site personally. People have all kinds of opinions which will be different than yours, but they have the right to their opinion. It has nothing to do with you personally at all, they don't even know you. They are just trying to win others over to their way of thinking in whatever way they think works and they sometimes try to provoke anger to make it happen. It's important to remember that. Often, they are simply trying to get a knee-jerk response from you that has not been well thought out so they can in turn attack that reactionary response. When you find yourself feeling personally attacked by something someone has said, it is a good idea to wait and give plenty of time before you respond to them. Some people are best not to respond to at all because they are not really wanting a genuine exchange. There is no requirement that you respond to every person who says something.
SM2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2015 9:00:09 PM
The solution to heated arguments? Don't have them. This is an internet forum; you have literally nothing to gain by arguing with the other people here.
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2015 9:34:12 PM

Just relax. I always listen to music when I'm on this site and it helps calm my nerves. I have a great deal of anger issues where I will rage at certain points, but music helps quite a lot.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
SongHaGin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2015 10:03:37 PM
Amazing! Thank you.
At 10/16/2015 9:34:12 PM, lannan13 wrote:

Just relax. I always listen to music when I'm on this site and it helps calm my nerves. I have a great deal of anger issues where I will rage at certain points, but music helps quite a lot.
SongHaGin
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2015 11:01:44 PM
At 10/16/2015 10:03:37 PM, SongHaGin wrote:
Amazing! Thank you.
Welcome.
At 10/16/2015 9:34:12 PM, lannan13 wrote:

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2015 1:00:59 AM

Detach yourself and the other person from the arguments being presented. Analyze the arguments put forth only, and do not look at any response as a personal attack. In other words, try to keep emotion totally out of the equation, and analyze everything said logically. If you find yourself becoming heated, take a break from the website and come back when you have cooled down.
Nolite Timere
ironslippers
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2015 8:00:23 PM

I'm trying a new approach:
Imagine that it is your favorite comedian responding, They say many derogatory things without offence
Everyone stands on their own dung hill and speaks out about someone else's - Nathan Krusemark
Its easier to criticize and hate than it is to support and create - I Ron Slippers
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2015 10:38:10 AM

You can found common ground.