Jump to topic:

Ore_Ele's Ask Me Anything AMA

Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2015 11:10:00 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Alright everyone. This is the Ore_Ele "Ask Me Anything." I was thinking of putting this in the politics section because I hope it is more than just "what"s your favorite color?" and simple things like that. Of course, there will be limits to what I will answer. I"m not answering "What is your home address?" or things like that, though I will be open with almost all personal questions. While I will try to answer questions, I will not engage in debates, we can do that in other threads. But let"s do a little background into some of my beliefs.

I have not brought it up recently, but when it comes to morals and ethics, I subscribe to meta-ethics and hold on to both subjectivism and non-cognitivist. I think the closest ethical stance if you wanted the exact for me, would be emotivism.

Political belief is Sophosarchia totalitarianism, but not in the standard sense. It is not so much that I believe an ideal government "should" have total control over the economy and society, but that no aspect of either should be "out of bounds." I am adamantly against a constitution or anything that limits what a government can do (again, in an ideal situation). If a situation arises and the government is evaluating what the best course of action is, if logic says doing X is best for society, then X should be done, regardless if a piece of paper says you can or cannot do it.

One of my biggest beliefs is that belief is not a conscious choice. Now, I"m not talking just about religion here but in regards to anything you believe. Your morals, your faith, your opinions of others, your memories, etc, you don"t consciously control any of it. You only recognize what you believe. Religion is the easiest example. I don"t choose to believe in God. I simply do. I cannot, right now, stop believing in God any more than an atheist can start believing in God. I can say "I don"t believe" but I still do, just like and atheist can say "I believe" even though inside, they still don"t. We also see with kids as they grow up and grow out of belief. They don"t choose to stop believing, they merely come across new ways of thinking and no longer believe. But once you learn a new piece of evidence or new line of reasoning, you cannot un-learn it. You may find a better piece of evidence or better line of reasoning later in life that changes your beliefs again, but you cannot just remove that stuff from my mind.

This applies to everything we believe. If you believe that freedom is ultimately good, even with some of the pitfalls it may have, you cannot just stop believing that because you want to. I mostly see this when someone is presented with a new argument against their stance and they fight it and fight it. You"ll see them disappear for a while as they process it and they will come back with a different point of view because that piece of evidence changed their belief and they tried to consciously resist, but once they accepted it, they first felt shame for not wanting to admit that they were wrong (thus they disappear).

Anyway, there are a few things to start on. Also, I"m color blind, so I don"t have a favorite color, and for the love of all that is good on DDO, do not ask "what"s that like?" (I"m timing for the first troll to still ask that).
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2015 3:01:05 AM
At 10/16/2015 11:10:00 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
Alright everyone. This is the Ore_Ele "Ask Me Anything." I was thinking of putting this in the politics section because I hope it is more than just "what"s your favorite color?" and simple things like that. Of course, there will be limits to what I will answer. I"m not answering "What is your home address?" or things like that, though I will be open with almost all personal questions. While I will try to answer questions, I will not engage in debates, we can do that in other threads. But let"s do a little background into some of my beliefs.

I have not brought it up recently, but when it comes to morals and ethics, I subscribe to meta-ethics and hold on to both subjectivism and non-cognitivist. I think the closest ethical stance if you wanted the exact for me, would be emotivism.

Political belief is Sophosarchia totalitarianism, but not in the standard sense. It is not so much that I believe an ideal government "should" have total control over the economy and society, but that no aspect of either should be "out of bounds." I am adamantly against a constitution or anything that limits what a government can do (again, in an ideal situation). If a situation arises and the government is evaluating what the best course of action is, if logic says doing X is best for society, then X should be done, regardless if a piece of paper says you can or cannot do it.

One of my biggest beliefs is that belief is not a conscious choice. Now, I"m not talking just about religion here but in regards to anything you believe. Your morals, your faith, your opinions of others, your memories, etc, you don"t consciously control any of it. You only recognize what you believe. Religion is the easiest example. I don"t choose to believe in God. I simply do. I cannot, right now, stop believing in God any more than an atheist can start believing in God. I can say "I don"t believe" but I still do, just like and atheist can say "I believe" even though inside, they still don"t. We also see with kids as they grow up and grow out of belief. They don"t choose to stop believing, they merely come across new ways of thinking and no longer believe. But once you learn a new piece of evidence or new line of reasoning, you cannot un-learn it. You may find a better piece of evidence or better line of reasoning later in life that changes your beliefs again, but you cannot just remove that stuff from my mind.

This applies to everything we believe. If you believe that freedom is ultimately good, even with some of the pitfalls it may have, you cannot just stop believing that because you want to. I mostly see this when someone is presented with a new argument against their stance and they fight it and fight it. You"ll see them disappear for a while as they process it and they will come back with a different point of view because that piece of evidence changed their belief and they tried to consciously resist, but once they accepted it, they first felt shame for not wanting to admit that they were wrong (thus they disappear).

Anyway, there are a few things to start on. Also, I"m color blind, so I don"t have a favorite color, and for the love of all that is good on DDO, do not ask "what"s that like?" (I"m timing for the first troll to still ask that).

What is the ELO formula?
"Delete your fvcking sig" -1hard

"primal man had the habit, when he came into contact with fire, of satisfying the infantile desire connected with it, by putting it out with a stream of his urine... Putting out the fire by micturating was therefore a kind of sexual act with a male, an enjoyment of sexual potency in a homosexual competition."
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2015 5:50:13 AM
At 10/17/2015 3:01:05 AM, zmikecuber wrote:
What is the ELO formula?

http://www.debate.org...

I can't say for sure what it is now. In this link is what the equation was when I first gave it to Juggle.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2015 7:40:50 AM
Do you agree with a progressive tax system? Income tax?
If so, what should be the top rate? The bottom?

Do you find racial disparities troubling? If so, is there a point where disparities are unequal, but acceptable?

Should military personnel be categorically honored and respected, or only those who join for specific purposes?
My work here is, finally, done.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2015 3:34:42 PM
At 10/17/2015 7:40:50 AM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
Do you agree with a progressive tax system? Income tax?
If so, what should be the top rate? The bottom?

Yes to both. The Laffer curve applies differently to different people, but most uniformly, it applies differently to different income ranges. As such, different ranges should be taxed differently so that you can have a higher tax revenue with a smaller impact on the desire to work.

In an ideal world, the income tax rate would only need to be from 2%-15% (of course, we are comically far from that). For today's society, I would say it needs to be from 5%-40% (though the top bracket would be for over $5,000,000 not the $400,000 it is now). Though I am a fan of doing multiple areas of tax revenue and non-tax revenue forms. The more different options government has to draw revenue, the more stable the revenue is and the better it can be managed.

Do you find racial disparities troubling? If so, is there a point where disparities are unequal, but acceptable?

No, but I do find economic disparities troubling, which are highly linked to racial disparities. Personally, I don't think it is the "difference" that is a problem, but where the bottom is. I don't really care how much better off the rich are than the poor, but rather how well off the poor are, independently of the rich. If we can help the poor so that they can get everything they need* (which is of course, subjective), then I don't care how rich the rich are (also, so long as there is not a clear chasm that makes it reasonably impossible for people to get themselves into the rich. I mean, like, no "good ol' boys clubs" and what not).

Should military personnel be categorically honored and respected, or only those who join for specific purposes?

I will take this to mean honored and respected by the government with tax payer money (but if you just want if I choose to honor and respect, please let me know).

I don't think they should be "honored" just for serving. But think we have a social responsibility to make sure that when they are done serving, that we do everything we can to properly and safely transition them back to civilian life. However, I strongly believe that it should not be just a uniform "if you serve you get all benefits." My uncle served in Vietnam, my grandfather was a Christian pacifist (meaning he didn't believe in killing, but he'd whoop your arse with a belt if you took the lord's name in vain) who voluntarily served in WW2 as a medic. My brother in law served in Iraq, spending 8 years repairing trucks and hummers. He never saw anything close to combat (though he did work on trucks with holes in them). All three served, but I don't believe that all three have the same needs when it comes to going back to society.
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2015 4:43:47 PM
When and why did you return to DDO?
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2015 5:18:13 PM
At 10/17/2015 4:43:47 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

Lol, which time? I'm guessing you mean just this most recent time. It was just a few days ago. I have an employee that is really following the election stuff (he's a Bernie fan) and he talks about it a lot, so it aggravated my itch.
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2015 6:15:26 PM
At 10/17/2015 5:18:13 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

Lol, which time? I'm guessing you mean just this most recent time. It was just a few days ago. I have an employee that is really following the election stuff (he's a Bernie fan) and he talks about it a lot, so it aggravated my itch.

Is this temporary or do you plan on staying?
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2015 6:29:56 PM
At 10/17/2015 6:15:26 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

Currently, I'm planning on only staying temporarily. Of course, that could change.
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2015 6:38:21 PM
At 10/17/2015 6:29:56 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

Currently, I'm planning on only staying temporarily. Of course, that could change.

How temporary is temporary?
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2015 6:40:21 PM
At 10/17/2015 6:38:21 PM, bsh1 wrote:

A few weeks. Depends on how long the site remains interesting. If it gets boring, I'll leave. If it stays entertaining, I'll stay. Right now, it feels like it will last a few weeks. But I've signed up for a debate and mafia game, so we'll see if those can perk anything up.
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2015 6:41:28 PM
At 10/17/2015 6:40:21 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 10/17/2015 6:38:21 PM, bsh1 wrote:

A few weeks. Depends on how long the site remains interesting. If it gets boring, I'll leave. If it stays entertaining, I'll stay. Right now, it feels like it will last a few weeks. But I've signed up for a debate and mafia game, so we'll see if those can perk anything up.

Cool beans!
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2015 1:44:37 AM

- Which presidential candidate do you prefer?
- What are your views on the minimum wage and/or raising it?
"The right to 360 noscope noobs shall not be infringed!!!" -- tajshar2k
"So, to start off, I've never committed suicide." -- Vaarka
"I eat glue." -- brontoraptor
"I mean, at this rate, I'd argue for a ham sandwich presidency." -- ResponsiblyIrresponsible
"Overthrow Assad, heil jihad." -- 16kadams when trolling in hangout
"Hillary Clinton is not my favorite person ... and her campaign is as inspiring as a bowl of cottage cheese." -- YYW
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2015 1:56:48 AM
At 10/23/2015 1:44:37 AM, ColeTrain wrote:

I don't have one. I have not researched into any of them enough for me to "prefer" one.

It should be raised, then tied to a minimum cost of living metric. Basically, we need to first ask, what is the purpose of minimum wage? What is it trying to accomplish? Is it meant for a single mother of two to have a 3 bedroom apartment, daycare for 2, and extra amenities? No. While we can say people in that situation need help so that their children don't suffer and get caught in a poverty loop, there are other means of doing that which would target just those in those circumstances.

Really, it should just be that a single person, working full time, is able to provide basic necessities to live and opportunity to grow. A single bedroom apartment, internet and phone and a simple car (this way, they have the opportunity to go to school or try and find a better job). This will vary from place to place, but it is generally between $9 - $13 an hour.
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2015 1:59:01 AM
At 10/23/2015 1:56:48 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 10/23/2015 1:44:37 AM, ColeTrain wrote:

I don't have one. I have not researched into any of them enough for me to "prefer" one.

Okay. :)

It should be raised, then tied to a minimum cost of living metric. Basically, we need to first ask, what is the purpose of minimum wage? What is it trying to accomplish? Is it meant for a single mother of two to have a 3 bedroom apartment, daycare for 2, and extra amenities? No. While we can say people in that situation need help so that their children don't suffer and get caught in a poverty loop, there are other means of doing that which would target just those in those circumstances.

Really, it should just be that a single person, working full time, is able to provide basic necessities to live and opportunity to grow. A single bedroom apartment, internet and phone and a simple car (this way, they have the opportunity to go to school or try and find a better job). This will vary from place to place, but it is generally between $9 - $13 an hour.

Okay. :)
"The right to 360 noscope noobs shall not be infringed!!!" -- tajshar2k
"So, to start off, I've never committed suicide." -- Vaarka
"I eat glue." -- brontoraptor
"I mean, at this rate, I'd argue for a ham sandwich presidency." -- ResponsiblyIrresponsible
"Overthrow Assad, heil jihad." -- 16kadams when trolling in hangout
"Hillary Clinton is not my favorite person ... and her campaign is as inspiring as a bowl of cottage cheese." -- YYW