I'm Back! Sort of.... AMA

ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2015 6:14:04 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Well, it's been an interesting month.

Anyway, hello there, mere mortals! I hope you all -- with the exception of a few -- have been doing well and are stomaching Donald Trump as well as I (don't get any wrong ideas from that phraseology).

I could answer questions -- about me, about what I've been up to, about my view on this, that, or the other, etc. -- or I suppose give you my "honest opinion of you." I'm not the biggest fan of the paradigm, I'll admit, because it hints at an underlying passive aggression: are you supposed to be *unaware* of my honest opinion of you is? Have I been concealing such information from you, only to let it out at some silly benchmark post level (which is entirely arbitrary and time-varying)? I prefer to be upfront, so I assure you no one at all will be surprised by my responses.

That rant aside... ask away!
~ResponsiblyIrresponsible

DDO's Economics Messiah
cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2015 6:17:31 PM
At 10/17/2015 6:14:04 PM, ResponsiblyIrresponsible wrote:

Anyway, hello there, mere mortals! I hope you all -- with the exception of a few -- have been doing well and are stomaching Donald Trump as well as I (don't get any wrong ideas from that phraseology).

I could answer questions -- about me, about what I've been up to, about my view on this, that, or the other, etc. -- or I suppose give you my "honest opinion of you." I'm not the biggest fan of the paradigm, I'll admit, because it hints at an underlying passive aggression: are you supposed to be *unaware* of my honest opinion of you is? Have I been concealing such information from you, only to let it out at some silly benchmark post level (which is entirely arbitrary and time-varying)? I prefer to be upfront, so I assure you no one at all will be surprised by my responses.

eh sure honest opinion
Epsilon: There are so many stories where some brave hero decides to give their life to save the day, and because of their sacrifice, the good guys win, the survivors all cheer, and everybody lives happily ever after. But the hero... never gets to see that ending. They'll never know if their sacrifice actually made a difference. They'll never know if the day was really saved. In the end, they just have to have faith.
ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2015 6:23:35 PM
At 10/17/2015 6:17:31 PM, cybertron1998 wrote:
eh sure honest opinion

Sure. I would like to preface this by saying that you knew what you were getting yourself into by asking for this.

I think you know what I'm going to say. We've been on good terms in the past -- the turbulence aside -- though I would hardly consider that the case now. In particular, that's because you've tossed my name around recklessly, without regard for reality, in order to leverage whatever gains you thought you might be able to muster from distorting my words and actions and falsely assigning blame. Then, when I contacted you *in private* upwards of three times, you continuously dodged me, only to pull your signature "don't make me mad, because I'll go full hulk on you" sh1t in public -- a conversation that *you yourself* started. I don't like passive aggressiveness, cowardice, or deception, all three of which you exhibited in spades.

With that said, I don't have a particularly strong aversion for you because I don't think about you all that often (as you can tell, I have other things on my mind to which I attach a whole lot more importance, which is a key difference in myself relative to where I was a year ago). I think you're an immature kid who often misunderstands the ramifications of his actions, and speaks before he acts, but you're not a "bad person" by any means -- which is more than I can say for a whole lot of people on this website.

DDO's Economics Messiah
ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2015 6:24:47 PM
*acts/speaks before he thinks

I need to get back into the habit of proofreading.

DDO's Economics Messiah
cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2015 6:25:24 PM
At 10/17/2015 6:23:35 PM, ResponsiblyIrresponsible wrote:
At 10/17/2015 6:17:31 PM, cybertron1998 wrote:
eh sure honest opinion

Sure. I would like to preface this by saying that you knew what you were getting yourself into by asking for this.

I think you know what I'm going to say. We've been on good terms in the past -- the turbulence aside -- though I would hardly consider that the case now. In particular, that's because you've tossed my name around recklessly, without regard for reality, in order to leverage whatever gains you thought you might be able to muster from distorting my words and actions and falsely assigning blame. Then, when I contacted you *in private* upwards of three times, you continuously dodged me, only to pull your signature "don't make me mad, because I'll go full hulk on you" sh1t in public -- a conversation that *you yourself* started. I don't like passive aggressiveness, cowardice, or deception, all three of which you exhibited in spades.

With that said, I don't have a particularly strong aversion for you because I don't think about you all that often (as you can tell, I have other things on my mind to which I attach a whole lot more importance, which is a key difference in myself relative to where I was a year ago). I think you're an immature kid who often misunderstands the ramifications of his actions, and speaks before he acts, but you're not a "bad person" by any means -- which is more than I can say for a whole lot of people on this website.

Ok joey i have no fire with you and never will
Epsilon: There are so many stories where some brave hero decides to give their life to save the day, and because of their sacrifice, the good guys win, the survivors all cheer, and everybody lives happily ever after. But the hero... never gets to see that ending. They'll never know if their sacrifice actually made a difference. They'll never know if the day was really saved. In the end, they just have to have faith.
ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2015 6:29:02 PM
At 10/17/2015 6:25:24 PM, cybertron1998 wrote:

Your past actions suggest otherwise. That aside, this is obviously asymmetric. I think a lot of people think that, insofar as one party to an altercation "gets over it," the other should merely suck it up and follow suit. It doesn't work like that, especially when the blame rests mostly or entirely (as it does here) on one side (i.e., the one that "got over it," because they less -- or nothing -- to get over, which is why ignorant third parties who laud that side for their "maturity" are uniquely incompetent).

That said, if you want to discuss this further, I'd suggest that you PM me (unless, of course, you want me to continue to speak candidly in public, which is really your choice at this point).

DDO's Economics Messiah
cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2015 6:30:21 PM
At 10/17/2015 6:29:02 PM, ResponsiblyIrresponsible wrote:

Your past actions suggest otherwise. That aside, this is obviously asymmetric. I think a lot of people think that, insofar as one party to an altercation "gets over it," the other should merely suck it up and follow suit. It doesn't work like that, especially when the blame rests mostly or entirely (as it does here) on one side (i.e., the one that "got over it," because they less -- or nothing -- to get over, which is why ignorant third parties who laud that side for their "maturity" are uniquely incompetent).

That said, if you want to discuss this further, I'd suggest that you PM me (unless, of course, you want me to continue to speak candidly in public, which is really your choice at this point).

We can speak in public or pm's it doesn't matter to me
ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2015 6:33:40 PM
At 10/17/2015 6:30:21 PM, cybertron1998 wrote:

I'm likewise indifferent, except that this obviously involves other people. I'm not enough of an arshole to embroil them in this.

Not to mention, a public discourse invites commentary and sanctimonious editorials from the peanut gallery. I'm uninterested in both.

DDO's Economics Messiah
cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2015 6:35:58 PM
At 10/17/2015 6:33:40 PM, ResponsiblyIrresponsible wrote:

I'm likewise indifferent, except that this obviously involves other people. I'm not enough of an arshole to embroil them in this.

Not to mention, a public discourse invites commentary and sanctimonious editorials from the peanut gallery. I'm uninterested in both.

We are on the same page then. I hope you understand that I feel nothing right now. No anger hate or frustation, sadness loss or guilt, nor do i feel excitement or cheer, i am at a neutral zen state of being in this conversation.
ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2015 6:37:19 PM
At 10/17/2015 6:35:58 PM, cybertron1998 wrote:

We are on the same page then. I hope you understand that I feel nothing right now. No anger hate or frustation, sadness loss or guilt, nor do i feel excitement or cheer, i am at a neutral zen state of being in this conversation.

I'm likewise neutral, though more disengaged and uninterested than much else (which is to say that even having this conversation is a drag).

DDO's Economics Messiah
cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2015 6:37:57 PM
At 10/17/2015 6:37:19 PM, ResponsiblyIrresponsible wrote:

I'm likewise neutral, though more disengaged and uninterested than much else (which is to say that even having this conversation is a drag).

yes this conversation is quite a drag
ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2015 6:38:31 PM
At 10/17/2015 6:37:57 PM, cybertron1998 wrote:

Then it was probably a bad idea to initiate it.

DDO's Economics Messiah
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2015 6:39:39 PM

How've you been?
How's school?
Have your exams started yet?
If so, how're they going? (As if I have to ask... you've probably aced them all already :P)
Has any more episodes of Unreal come out?
Do you think you'll ever permanently leave DDO?
Do you miss hangouts?
Do you think you'll join them more often?
What're your plans for Christmas?
Are you thinking of proposing to your girlfriend yet?
Have you let her watch Unreal?
Is she a pegasister?
What's your favourite Pokemon?
Favourite book?
Do you believe people can change?
Have you ever broken a bone?
What's your aspiration in life?
Why doesn't fuzzy wuzzy have hair?

Sure, give me your honest opinion of me. :) I'm fairly certain I know it, and know what I'm getting myself into. Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me.
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2015 6:39:42 PM
At 10/17/2015 6:38:31 PM, ResponsiblyIrresponsible wrote:

Ehh the future was clouded at the moment i asked but yes now it seems it would not have been in my best interest
ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2015 6:47:41 PM
At 10/17/2015 6:39:39 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
How've you been?

I've been fantastic, thanks for asking.

How's school?

Fantastic.

Have your exams started yet?

About to start.

If so, how're they going? (As if I have to ask... you've probably aced them all already :P)

That probably will be the case, notwithstanding my horrid study habits.

Haven't been keeping up with it.

I hope so.

Do you miss hangouts?

Naw, hangouts have an extraordinarily high opportunity cost. I used to enjoy modding mafia, but (a) that never happens and (b) as a mod I was forced to endure an unmitigated load of gratuitous sh1t, which often wasn't my fault: i.e., if some incompetent fck *forgets* about a night action, or investigates a dead person, or misreads his or her role, and thus extends the night phase, it's hardly fair to cast blame *on me.*

Do you think you'll join them more often?

Probably not, if only out of opportunity cost (read: I'm busy).

What're your plans for Christmas?

I don't do much for Christmas.

Are you thinking of proposing to your girlfriend yet?

I don't have a girlfriend.

Have you let her watch Unreal?

See above.

Is she a pegasister?

Above.

Good question..... i like Squirtle.

Favourite book?

Keynes's General Theory, obviously.

No, I don't. The caveat is that good people can be misguided and act in a way contrary to what their character might dictate. The flip side is that sh1tty people can *appear* likeable, such that a turn for the worse appears aberrant, when in reality it's a measure of their underlying persona.

But can a *person* change, as in, can someone can who they are? No, I've seen no evidence to that effect.

Yup -- my elbow and, as of a few weeks ago, probably my toe.

I'd love to win a Nobel, or at least be widely cited in my field. The ultimate measure, though, is whether I'm satisfied in the environment I'm in. I've found that in academia, and I've never felt as fulfilled.

Don't know who that is.

Sure, give me your honest opinion of me. :) I'm fairly certain I know it, and know what I'm getting myself into. Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me.

The mere insinuation that *I* would levy a personal insult comparable to a stick or a stone is extremely offensive, and ironically it underscores my current view of you: you're extremely wishy-washy, and love to selectively levy blame where it isn't due.

I refuse to say more.

DDO's Economics Messiah
ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2015 6:48:14 PM
At 10/17/2015 6:39:42 PM, cybertron1998 wrote:
At 10/17/2015 6:38:31 PM, ResponsiblyIrresponsible wrote:

Ehh the future was clouded at the moment i asked but yes now it seems it would not have been in my best interest

Confirms all the research I've seen on backward-looking agents.

DDO's Economics Messiah
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2015 7:00:24 PM
At 10/17/2015 6:47:41 PM, ResponsiblyIrresponsible wrote:

Unfortunately, neither have I.

I hope so.

Agreed. One of these good days...

Favourite book?

No, I don't.

I believe they can, given the right incentive. I just wished sometimes they would realize faster, so they wouldn't lose things that could be important to them, like my cousin for instance.

Hope it heals soon!

I'd love to win a Nobel, or at least be widely cited in my field. The ultimate measure, though, is whether I'm satisfied in the environment I'm in. I've found that in academia, and I've never felt as fulfilled.

Ooooh! Good luck!

Don't know who that is.

https://www.youtube.com...

The mere insinuation that *I* would levy a personal insult comparable to a stick or a stone is extremely offensive, and ironically it underscores my current view of you: you're extremely wishy-washy, and love to selectively levy blame where it isn't due.

I refuse to say more.

There was the possibility that you could've insulted me, yes. But I thought you'd have given me an honest criticism. Either way, okay, I understand. We can drop this here.
Solonkr~

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2015 7:04:20 PM
At 10/17/2015 7:00:24 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
The mere insinuation that *I* would levy a personal insult comparable to a stick or a stone is extremely offensive

lol
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2015 7:08:24 PM
At 10/17/2015 7:04:20 PM, bsh1 wrote:
The mere insinuation that *I* would levy a personal insult comparable to a stick or a stone is extremely offensive

lol

"I prefer to be upfront, so I assure you no one at all will be surprised by my responses."

Mhhmm. Ah well... it's a pity really... some friendships are like flowers: they die all too soon. *shrugs*
Solonkr~

Ken~

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY

ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2015 7:09:47 PM

Unfortunately, neither have I.

I hope so.

Agreed. One of these good days...

Favourite book?

No, I don't.

I believe they can, given the right incentive.

I think that's incredibly naive, but we can agree to disagree on this.

I just wished sometimes they would realize faster, so they wouldn't lose things that could be important to them, like my cousin for instance.

Hope it heals soon!

It has.

Ooooh! Good luck!

ty

Don't know who that is.

https://www.youtube.com...

lol

I refuse to say more.

There was the possibility that you could've insulted me, yes.

And I didn't, and I hope you can both appreciate that and understand why I responded as I did.

But I thought you'd have given me an honest criticism.

What some people fail to understand -- and this isn't directed at you necessarily -- is that there's a difference between being candid and just being an arshole. I prefer the former, not the latter.

Either way, okay, I understand. We can drop this here.

Good.

DDO's Economics Messiah
ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2015 7:16:02 PM
At 10/17/2015 7:08:24 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:

lol

"I prefer to be upfront, so I assure you no one at all will be surprised by my responses."

Mhhmm. Ah well... it's a pity really... some friendships are like flowers: they die all too soon. *shrugs*

You should really take this passive aggression elsewhere. I'm uninterested. In fact, this underscores why I left this website -- and probably will again, if it truly has amounted to this sh1t.

DDO's Economics Messiah
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2015 7:27:31 PM
At 10/17/2015 7:16:02 PM, ResponsiblyIrresponsible wrote:

lol

You should really take this passive aggression elsewhere. I'm uninterested. In fact, this underscores why I left this website -- and probably will again, if it truly has amounted to this sh1t.

I was just, at first, trying to welcome you back, and be nice. I'll take my leave now. I know when I'm not needed somewhere.
Solonkr~

Ken~

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY

ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2015 7:28:55 PM
At 10/17/2015 7:27:31 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:

lol

I was just, at first, trying to welcome you back, and be nice. I'll take my leave now. I know when I'm not needed somewhere.

No, that wasn't the case, and we both know it -- nor did the side comments work toward that end.

Here's my motto: if you have something to say, say it. Don't beat around the bush or passive-aggressively and esoterically insert yourself out of fear of backlash. I haven't the slightest scintilla of respect for that type of behavior.

DDO's Economics Messiah
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2015 7:30:44 PM
At 10/17/2015 7:28:55 PM, ResponsiblyIrresponsible wrote:

lol

No, that wasn't the case, and we both know it -- nor did the side comments work toward that end.

I was being nice at first. You and I both know why my mood changed.

Here's my motto: if you have something to say, say it. Don't beat around the bush or passive-aggressively and esoterically insert yourself out of fear of backlash. I haven't the slightest scintilla of respect for that type of behavior.

I'm not desirous of insulting you publicly. I don't wish to get banned.
Solonkr~

Ken~

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY

ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2015 7:31:50 PM
At 10/17/2015 7:30:44 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:

lol

The "sticks and stones" comment *was not* "nice." If you think otherwise, we've reached an impasse, because you're blind to reality.

Lol.

Yes, fear of being banned is why.

DDO's Economics Messiah
SamStevens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2015 7:33:40 PM

Opinion of me.
---

What have you been up too during your hiatus?
"This is the true horror of religion. It allows perfectly decent and sane people to believe by the billions, what only lunatics could believe on their own." Sam Harris
Life asked Death "Why do people love me but hate you?"
Death responded: "Because you are a beautiful lie, and I am the painful truth."
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2015 7:34:27 PM
At 10/17/2015 7:31:50 PM, ResponsiblyIrresponsible wrote:

lol

The "sticks and stones" comment *was not* "nice." If you think otherwise, we've reached an impasse, because you're blind to reality.

"At first"
The sticks and stones comment was after our lovely chat.

Lol.

Mhmm, of course it is. I have friends on DDO that I plan to keep in contact with, and I'd rather not get banned.
Solonkr~

Ken~

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY

ShabShoral
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2015 7:35:21 PM

What're the best sources for stats on the US and Canadian CPI, PPI, and unemployment? I need like 10 sources total.
"This site is trash as a debate site. It's club penguin for dysfunctional adults."

~ Skepsikyma <3

"Your idea of good writing is like Spinoza mixed with Heidegger."

~ Dylly Dylly Cat Cat

"You seem to aspire to be a cross between a Jewish hipster, an old school WASP aristocrat, and a political iconoclast"

~ Thett the Mighty

"fvck omg ur face"

~ Liz
ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2015 7:36:49 PM
At 10/17/2015 7:34:27 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
At 10/17/2015 7:31:50 PM, ResponsiblyIrresponsible wrote:

lol

"At first"
The sticks and stones comment was after our lovely chat.

No, that's just demonstrably untrue. It was in your first post on this thread, prior to our "chat."

Lol.

Mhmm, of course it is. I have friends on DDO that I plan to keep in contact with, and I'd rather not get banned.

Sure.

DDO's Economics Messiah
ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2015 7:37:40 PM
At 10/17/2015 7:35:21 PM, ShabShoral wrote:

What're the best sources for stats on the US and Canadian CPI, PPI, and unemployment? I need like 10 sources total.

US data is easy:

https://research.stlouisfed.org...

You can search for what you need in that. I haven't the faintest idea of how to pull Canadian data.

DDO's Economics Messiah