Jump to topic:

A Change of Perspective.

Lee001
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2015 11:57:50 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
So, today for class, I had the opportunity to go and help mentor down syndrome children in a "Amazing Race". To be honest, the night before, I was dreading going. I was like "Ugh, Friday is my day off and I don't want to have to wake up early" I felt really selfish for thinking this..

Today, I have a whole new perspective on life. Honestly, I've always been uncomfortable around children whom have down syndrome. It's just that I'm not sure how to react around them and because they are so easily affected by your actions, one slightest move could upset them, and I was afraid I was going to do just that.

I arrived at the park, and wasn't afraid at all. These children are so loving, and all they want to do is have a good time like everyone else. They knew they couldn't preform activities like a non-disabled person, but they didn't care. They did everything with a smile on their face, and that made me smile.

I have to admit, I did cry when I saw children in the wheelchairs. To think they're so young, and so limited on what they can do in life just broke my heart. But they still completed the games just like all the other kids.

This made me realize, that I need to volunteer more often. I mostly see the bad side of society and all the negative things they say and do. But today, I was happier then what I had over been. These children made me smile more than I have in these last few months, they warmed my heart, and brought tears to my eyes. Words cant even explain how I felt today..

I do have a changed perspective on my life. I need to STOP feeling sorry for myself because I cant do this, or do that, because honestly, there is a difference between what I want, and what I need. These children are so limited to what they can do in life, and worst of all, they are looked at by society as some kind of monster made by god. They are JUST like everyone else..
"Condoms are societal constructs created by the government to restrain 'Murican freedom!"-SolonKR

"But I jest and digress (sick rhymes, yo); every boob is equal in the eyes of the Lord."- SolonKR

"Oh Hey, Seeing Artichokes Makes Me Want to Have Sex."- SolonKR

"Yep, but anyone who touches my hair immediately ascends to the heavens..You're already an angel, so touching my hair can do nothing <3" -SolonKR

My hubby Hayd <3 <3
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2015 2:15:28 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 10/23/2015 11:57:50 PM, Lee001 wrote:
So, today for class, I had the opportunity to go and help mentor down syndrome children in a "Amazing Race". To be honest, the night before, I was dreading going. I was like "Ugh, Friday is my day off and I don't want to have to wake up early" I felt really selfish for thinking this..

Today, I have a whole new perspective on life. Honestly, I've always been uncomfortable around children whom have down syndrome. It's just that I'm not sure how to react around them and because they are so easily affected by your actions, one slightest move could upset them, and I was afraid I was going to do just that.

I arrived at the park, and wasn't afraid at all. These children are so loving, and all they want to do is have a good time like everyone else. They knew they couldn't preform activities like a non-disabled person, but they didn't care. They did everything with a smile on their face, and that made me smile.

I have to admit, I did cry when I saw children in the wheelchairs. To think they're so young, and so limited on what they can do in life just broke my heart. But they still completed the games just like all the other kids.

This made me realize, that I need to volunteer more often. I mostly see the bad side of society and all the negative things they say and do. But today, I was happier then what I had over been. These children made me smile more than I have in these last few months, they warmed my heart, and brought tears to my eyes. Words cant even explain how I felt today..

I do have a changed perspective on my life. I need to STOP feeling sorry for myself because I cant do this, or do that, because honestly, there is a difference between what I want, and what I need. These children are so limited to what they can do in life, and worst of all, they are looked at by society as some kind of monster made by god. They are JUST like everyone else..

It is good to see that you have experienced something in your life that has erased the stereotypes you may or may not have had before towards people different than you.
Yes, stop feeling sorry for yourself. You are blessed with talents, and creativity that has yet to be tapped into as time goes on. We are all humans, and people come in all shapes, sizes, and colors. Hopefully you will be able to take this experience and let it inspire you when you doubt yourself again.