Jump to topic:

My Brain Disorders

ZacGraphics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2015 9:29:23 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Hello DDO! I'm not quite sure in what forum this should go in, and I'm very sorry if I am putting this in the wrong section. Anyways, moving on.

I've had some questions about ADHD and ADD, but more specifically to ADD. I've been diagnosed with it since birth, and as a result, I've been gifted with the world's shortest attention span known to man. I struggle in school due to various factors that clash with my ADD, I cannot do simple tasks efficiently (such as simple math equations), and many other things unrelated to school. Less importantly, I have a very difficult time debating and having discussion on this site, because of this. My text/speech is very difficult to understand sometimes. For example, I might be going on about one thing, then suddenly switch to another. It drives me crazy when I read over my past writings.

So, I only raise one question to you guys/gals. What can I do? If anyone out there may understand my struggles, or has brain issues themselves, please tell me how you might do certain things more efficiently. Sorry if this just sounds like a really dumb question, and I might be asking the wrong people, but a good amount of you seem to be miles more intelligent than I am, so I only ask for help from anyone who might be knowledgeable in this area. If I'm wrong, please correct me. Thanks. :)
Have you ever heard the story about the hero dying for the villain?
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2015 9:59:57 PM
At 11/21/2015 9:29:23 PM, ZacGraphics wrote:
Hello DDO! I'm not quite sure in what forum this should go in, and I'm very sorry if I am putting this in the wrong section. Anyways, moving on.

I've had some questions about ADHD and ADD, but more specifically to ADD. I've been diagnosed with it since birth, and as a result, I've been gifted with the world's shortest attention span known to man. I struggle in school due to various factors that clash with my ADD, I cannot do simple tasks efficiently (such as simple math equations), and many other things unrelated to school. Less importantly, I have a very difficult time debating and having discussion on this site, because of this. My text/speech is very difficult to understand sometimes. For example, I might be going on about one thing, then suddenly switch to another. It drives me crazy when I read over my past writings.

So, I only raise one question to you guys/gals. What can I do? If anyone out there may understand my struggles, or has brain issues themselves, please tell me how you might do certain things more efficiently. Sorry if this just sounds like a really dumb question, and I might be asking the wrong people, but a good amount of you seem to be miles more intelligent than I am, so I only ask for help from anyone who might be knowledgeable in this area. If I'm wrong, please correct me. Thanks. :)

Four things you can do:
1. Take drugs, homepathic cures, or meditate or practice focusing to fix it yourself
2. Be aware of this and take precautions (e.g. limit distraction as best you can)
3. Nothing and be happy and distracted
4. Try to use it to your advantage and multitask. By being distracted by alternating items, you may be able to do two things.
My work here is, finally, done.
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2015 7:35:18 PM

Nothing. Your parents and teachers have let you use ADD as an excuse to be weak.
johnlubba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2015 5:08:55 PM

Be as happy as you can and don't let things bother you. I wish you well.
ZacGraphics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2015 5:12:19 PM
At 11/24/2015 7:35:18 PM, Mhykiel wrote:

Nothing. Your parents and teachers have let you use ADD as an excuse to be weak.

Hey! Thanks for your very insightful perspective!

I actually struggle with attention, thus creating a domino effect into my school life. Also, If I didn't mention, my teachers have no idea I have ADD. They treat me just the same as the other students, I just fall behind faster than the other students. No need to call me "weak" without backing it up, because that's quite rude.
Have you ever heard the story about the hero dying for the villain?
miloisqueer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2015 6:38:45 PM

I have ADHD as well (along with a myriad of other brain issues). I find that medication helps me deal with it, as I am on a low dose of aderall. However, meds aren't a cure-all, and I've had to sort of allow myself to accept that this is a part of me that I have to deal with. It feels unfair every day because I have to work doubly hard to get the same amount done it seems, but I have become more or less accustomed to it. Attitude is a huge part of it. Allow yourself to be happy, even when all looks bleak. You'll be alright.
Religion is capable of driving people to such dangerous folly that faith seems to me to qualify as a kind of mental illness. -Richard Dawkins
johnlubba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2015 3:53:53 PM
At 11/30/2015 6:38:45 PM, miloisqueer wrote:

I have ADHD as well (along with a myriad of other brain issues). I find that medication helps me deal with it, as I am on a low dose of aderall. However, meds aren't a cure-all, and I've had to sort of allow myself to accept that this is a part of me that I have to deal with. It feels unfair every day because I have to work doubly hard to get the same amount done it seems, but I have become more or less accustomed to it. Attitude is a huge part of it. Allow yourself to be happy, even when all looks bleak. You'll be alright.

I do sympathize, especially when it becomes more difficult to fulfil everyday tasks, but for the record, there are many people who would be considered sane on the surface, but below it, they are completely insane, with all types of disorders mental or otherwise, and most are self inflicted, such as gambling, drug abuse, alcoholism, anger issues ,or just down being right dumb.

In other words, we all have our cracks. so don't ever think anybody else is much better. :)