Jump to topic:

To Quit Chorus, or Not to Quit

SolonKR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2015 6:16:04 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I've found myself in a dilemma when it comes to course sign-ups for next semester (I'm a college freshman). I've always been a huge chorus nerd, moving around my other classes (or, as was the case in 1 year of high school, dropping my lunch) to fit it in my schedule.

However, college chorus (I'm in two ensembles) isn't really doing it for me. I don't feel challenged to be a better musician like I used to, and attending the rehearsals has honestly become a bit of a chore.

So, here's my dilemma--I could drop my choruses to take a class that I might have more fun taking (another history class, or perhaps an econ class, or perhaps a poli sci one; there are a lot of options), or I could try to stick with it for one more semester to see if things improve. I know that my freshman year of high school, I didn't have a sense of camaraderie until the last month of classes, but I still had enjoyed singing and learning to read music and all of that. It was never a chore, and I signed up for chorus again before I had made any friends. But, now, the joy of singing has disappeared :/

tl;dr Should I stick with chorus for one more semester, or should I take a break from it (I could always sign up again next year if I find I can't live without the class)?
SO to Bailey, the love of my life <3
TheFlex
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2015 9:59:12 PM
At 12/3/2015 6:16:04 PM, SolonKR wrote:
I've found myself in a dilemma when it comes to course sign-ups for next semester (I'm a college freshman). I've always been a huge chorus nerd, moving around my other classes (or, as was the case in 1 year of high school, dropping my lunch) to fit it in my schedule.

However, college chorus (I'm in two ensembles) isn't really doing it for me. I don't feel challenged to be a better musician like I used to, and attending the rehearsals has honestly become a bit of a chore.

So, here's my dilemma--I could drop my choruses to take a class that I might have more fun taking (another history class, or perhaps an econ class, or perhaps a poli sci one; there are a lot of options), or I could try to stick with it for one more semester to see if things improve. I know that my freshman year of high school, I didn't have a sense of camaraderie until the last month of classes, but I still had enjoyed singing and learning to read music and all of that. It was never a chore, and I signed up for chorus again before I had made any friends. But, now, the joy of singing has disappeared :/

tl;dr Should I stick with chorus for one more semester, or should I take a break from it (I could always sign up again next year if I find I can't live without the class)?

It sounds to me like you might just be getting burnt out on one of your hobbies. Since you're saying you're feeling tired of chorus even after making friends, if I interpreted that correctly, it sounds to me like it's just definitely getting burnt out for you. It might be good to just take a break for a semester and reevaluate how you feel about it when going into the next one.
UtherPenguin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/4/2015 2:37:03 AM

https://www.youtube.com...
"Praise Allah."
~YYW
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/4/2015 3:00:16 AM

It sounds like a textbook case of burn-out and you should DEFINITELY take a break from it, otherwise you might come to hate it forever and never want to try it again in the future. Same thing happened with my brother and Track. He loved it, felt burnt-out from it after a while, stuck with it anyways, and now he wants nothing to do with it at all, even though he was wicked good at it.

So yeah, if this is a vote, I vote you take a semester off.
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
SolonKR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2015 6:01:44 AM
At 12/4/2015 3:00:16 AM, imabench wrote:

Thanks for the input. I realized today at my last concert of the semester what the problem is--I'm sick of traditional, classical SATB. I listen to one or sing one and it sounds like the other thousands of classical pieces out there. Jazz and gospel (I'm a dirty heretic, but hallelooyer is gospel fun) are much more appealing right now, but we don't have a jazz choir (which is really sad) and it's a bit hard to transfer into gospel halfway through the year. Maybe I'll take a break this coming semester and then do 1 of the classical choruses and the gospel choir next year instead of 2 classicals.
SO to Bailey, the love of my life <3