Jump to topic:

Help me prove to my GF that New York exists

Ato
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2015 2:59:23 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
So this started when I told my girlfriend that she was being unreasonable in an argument we had the previous night. She countered saying it was just an opinion, that every opinion, every argument, is equally reasonable. All opinions, all beliefs are equally reasonable/valid.

I countered with, "Oh really? What about people who still believe the Earth is flat?" She not only said that it's equally reasonable to believe in a flat Earth, but also that it would be equally reasonable for someone to place a bet that the Earth is flat.

So I took it a step further and asked about the existence of China. And even New York. She said the same thing. Since she hasn't been there and experienced it herself, she says she can't know for sure it exists. Therefore it's equally reasonable for someone to believe New York doesn't exist, but only if that person hasn't seen direct proof of New York, in person. If the person has been to New York and personally witnessed its existence, only then would that person be unreasonable to believe it doesn't exist.

She says that if one of these New York deniers were to bet a million dollars that it doesn't exist, that if they took a plane to New York and bet that they wouldn't actually arrive there, she says that it would be equally reasonable to bet that. That it wouldn't be stupid or wrong of that person to make that bet. But when that person lands in New York and realizes he was wrong, then she would say that person was wrong, but she wouldn't say he was stupid to make that bet.

It's really frustrating me that she's being so stubborn and will not admit she's wrong about this, which makes me want to be even more stubborn and not let her think this argument ended in a tie. What arguments can I use or questions can I ask to refute what she's saying? To prove to her that it's unreasonable or invalid or dumb or wrong to believe that New York doesn't exist? She is not trolling.
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2015 5:06:54 AM
At 12/6/2015 2:59:23 AM, Ato wrote:
So this started when I told my girlfriend that she was being unreasonable in an argument we had the previous night. She countered saying it was just an opinion, that every opinion, every argument, is equally reasonable. All opinions, all beliefs are equally reasonable/valid.

I countered with, "Oh really? What about people who still believe the Earth is flat?" She not only said that it's equally reasonable to believe in a flat Earth, but also that it would be equally reasonable for someone to place a bet that the Earth is flat.

So I took it a step further and asked about the existence of China. And even New York. She said the same thing. Since she hasn't been there and experienced it herself, she says she can't know for sure it exists. Therefore it's equally reasonable for someone to believe New York doesn't exist, but only if that person hasn't seen direct proof of New York, in person. If the person has been to New York and personally witnessed its existence, only then would that person be unreasonable to believe it doesn't exist.

She says that if one of these New York deniers were to bet a million dollars that it doesn't exist, that if they took a plane to New York and bet that they wouldn't actually arrive there, she says that it would be equally reasonable to bet that. That it wouldn't be stupid or wrong of that person to make that bet. But when that person lands in New York and realizes he was wrong, then she would say that person was wrong, but she wouldn't say he was stupid to make that bet.

It's really frustrating me that she's being so stubborn and will not admit she's wrong about this, which makes me want to be even more stubborn and not let her think this argument ended in a tie. What arguments can I use or questions can I ask to refute what she's saying? To prove to her that it's unreasonable or invalid or dumb or wrong to believe that New York doesn't exist? She is not trolling.

Maybe she's not the "best" girlfriend for you.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
ShabShoral
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2015 5:51:10 AM
She's right, actually. Sorry, but hearsay is not empirical verification of NY.
"This site is trash as a debate site. It's club penguin for dysfunctional adults."

~ Skepsikyma <3

"Your idea of good writing is like Spinoza mixed with Heidegger."

~ Dylly Dylly Cat Cat

"You seem to aspire to be a cross between a Jewish hipster, an old school WASP aristocrat, and a political iconoclast"

~ Thett the Mighty

"fvck omg ur face"

~ Liz
Ato
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2015 5:21:33 PM
At 12/6/2015 5:51:10 AM, ShabShoral wrote:
She's right, actually. Sorry, but hearsay is not empirical verification of NY.

Hearsay- information received from other people that one cannot adequately substantiate; rumor.

So all of the overwhelmingly consistent evidence of New York, all the videos, maps, plane tickets, all the people that live there, websites, businesses, etc... that's all information from other people that does not adequately substantiate the claim that New York exists? That's absurd.
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2015 9:04:53 PM

You are being deceived. There is no such place as "New York City".
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Midnight1131
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2015 12:26:57 AM
Posted: 12 months ago

I would seriously doubt the mental capacities of someone who would say this. But I mean, just take her to New York. The fact that there is a fairly easy way to prove it's existence that has been done before already puts it higher than other claims in terms of reasonableness
#GaryJohnson2016
#TaxationisTheft
#TheftisTaxation
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2015 5:04:26 PM
She actually sounds like a fascinating person. I think that her grasp of philosophy is pretty advanced if she can casually make a claim like that. May be a good addition to the site. I would welcome her warmly. Living life purely based on a posteriori knowledge? Remarkable.

If you want to have an interesting conversation with her, tell her we're all living in the matrix, or that we're all brains in vats living a fake existence.

By the way, the answer to your question is with logic and the balance of probability. First, no one can learn everything they need to learn in a lifetime, and the only reason why humanity has progressed beyond hunting and gathering is by assuming the experiences of other people are true. If, for example, you were to pull up a website showing there are flights to New York City, she would have to explain why they would waste the time and effort to put that material up if New York City did not exist. She would also have to explain what would happen if a person went on that flight and it didn't end up going to New York City.

If a person refuses to accept evidence, reduce the argument to absurdity. If New York City doesn't exist, then it would logically follow that X,Y,Z. Make sure your argument connects properly and you can pretty much prove anything that has enough evidence to begin with.
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2015 6:48:38 PM
At 12/7/2015 1:59:42 AM, SM2 wrote:
Take her there. Or just dump her. Your choice.

I laughed.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2015 8:04:04 PM

Solipsists think that New York does not exist, and have good arguments to back it up.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2015 8:06:10 PM
This poor buffoon. She wants a romantic getaway to NewHork and this guy isn't picking up on it. This is like when I tell mentally disabled chicks, that I don't think vaginas exist, so they sleep with me
zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2015 8:43:05 PM

The myth of New York has long been perpetuated by those who control the universe, and by those of lesser intelligence who are, by their nature, teleologically directed towards being gullible sheep.
"Delete your fvcking sig" -1hard

"primal man had the habit, when he came into contact with fire, of satisfying the infantile desire connected with it, by putting it out with a stream of his urine... Putting out the fire by micturating was therefore a kind of sexual act with a male, an enjoyment of sexual potency in a homosexual competition."
THsea
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2015 7:55:03 AM
At 12/9/2015 8:06:10 PM, Wylted wrote:
This poor buffoon. She wants a romantic getaway to NewHork and this guy isn't picking up on it. ....

This was my original thought on reading this. She sounds pissed about not getting that NYC trip.

Not touching the last part of Wylted's post XD
Smithereens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2015 11:13:02 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/29/2015 6:27:18 AM, xXCryptoXx wrote:
http://www.debate.org...

64% of polled DDO users say that Australia does not exist.

Just saying.

It's a contentious issue for a reason. Have you ever been to Australia? No. I didn't think so. Ergo it's unreasonable to assert that such a place exists.
Music composition contest: http://www.debate.org...