Cermank
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2015 8:36:15 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/11/2015 8:23:10 PM, Mirza wrote:
Who has the best avatar here?

I loved maikurus spiderman one. Mostly because nobody really understood what his avatar was on teh first sight. It was like abstract art.

I also liked garbanzas breast feeding avatar, because if how much discussion it generated.

Favourite fruit?

Lichis. Love them. They are the perfect balance of sweet wo hour being sickening. They're perfect.

Favourite HP character?

That's a difficult one. I'd say I identified with Ron the most, his insecurity tinged with self doubt and pride was extremely real. But as a character, Snape and malfoy were a joy to watch.

I still don't think Snape can be just forgiven just because he had a one sided crush on lily, but he's an interesting grey character. Malfoy is a sad lil character.

Where would you like to live in the future?

India haha. I really can't live anywhere else. I'd love to travel to a lot of places though.
Cermank
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2015 8:41:11 PM
At 12/11/2015 8:23:36 PM, Mirza wrote:
Most hated member of the site?

Hate is a really strong word. But I find YYW obnoxious and conceited.

Kill, marry, hookup (from DDO)?

Kill: No one really. Maybe wrich.
Marry: Thett3. <3
Hook up: Hmm. Beverly. Or Jenny. It's a toss up.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2015 9:28:20 PM
At 12/11/2015 9:24:51 PM, Mirza wrote:
What do you think about the Roma/gypsy people?
Have you heard them speak their language, and can you understand any of it?
Cermank
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2015 9:49:38 PM
At 12/11/2015 9:28:20 PM, Mirza wrote:
At 12/11/2015 9:24:51 PM, Mirza wrote:
What do you think about the Roma/gypsy people?
Have you heard them speak their language, and can you understand any of it?

Not gonna lie, had to google the teh history of Roma people. I knew they originated in India, but as far as I know once they migrated they were known as Romas. I haven't really met any gypsy.

However, gypsies are called kanjars in Hindi, and although i associate both of them to different kinds of people, I have met people some people would identify as kanjars. (Although kanjar is a horrible caste-ist slur). They were really urbanized though, so although they had an accent, (a really strong accent at that), its understandable.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2015 9:52:59 PM
At 12/11/2015 9:49:38 PM, Cermank wrote:
Not gonna lie, had to google the teh history of Roma people. I knew they originated in India, but as far as I know once they migrated they were known as Romas. I haven't really met any gypsy.

However, gypsies are called kanjars in Hindi, and although i associate both of them to different kinds of people, I have met people some people would identify as kanjars. (Although kanjar is a horrible caste-ist slur). They were really urbanized though, so although they had an accent, (a really strong accent at that), its understandable.
They are really interesting. It's very sad that they don't identify with any country, but I like the fact that they are proud of their identity. Also, I find their language to be the best sounding of all the ones from the South-Asian area. :P
Cermank
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2015 9:59:51 PM
At 12/11/2015 9:52:59 PM, Mirza wrote:
At 12/11/2015 9:49:38 PM, Cermank wrote:

They are really interesting. It's very sad that they don't identify with any country, but I like the fact that they are proud of their identity. Also, I find their language to be the best sounding of all the ones from the South-Asian area. :P

haha its not considered the most , well, pleasant sounding in India at least. I prefer Hindi but I'm biased. :P It IS kinda exotic though.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2015 10:07:44 PM
At 12/11/2015 9:59:51 PM, Cermank wrote:
haha its not considered the most , well, pleasant sounding in India at least. I prefer Hindi but I'm biased. :P It IS kinda exotic though.
I really like it. This is a Romani version of a popular song in Yugoslavia: https://www.youtube.com... Maybe you get some of it, lol. The singer is Albanian I think, though.
Cermank
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2015 10:17:27 PM
At 12/11/2015 10:07:44 PM, Mirza wrote:
At 12/11/2015 9:59:51 PM, Cermank wrote:
I really like it. This is a Romani version of a popular song in Yugoslavia: https://www.youtube.com... Maybe you get some of it, lol. The singer is Albanian I think, though.

Haha I really didn't. She was repeating 'naina' a lot though, which means eyes in Hindi, but I'm not even sure if taht was what it was. That did sound really beautiful though.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2015 11:25:36 PM
At 12/11/2015 10:17:27 PM, Cermank wrote:
Haha I really didn't. She was repeating 'naina' a lot though, which means eyes in Hindi, but I'm not even sure if taht was what it was. That did sound really beautiful though.
It did. :)
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2015 1:04:49 PM
Kejriwal vs Modi -- who do you support? (I remember reading a blog post of yours that said you supported the former...)

Favorites: music, food, fruit, television show?

Opinion on beef ban?
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
lamerde
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2015 6:32:07 PM
How has DDO changed (or not changed) since you joined?
How have you changed (or not changed) since you joined DDO?
Why I ignore YYW:
http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...
Calling someone a bitch multiple times while claiming you're taking the high road is an art form, I suppose: http://www.debate.org...
Cermank
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2015 3:59:46 AM
At 12/12/2015 2:15:27 AM, mc9 wrote:
At 12/11/2015 8:07:28 PM, Cermank wrote:
I'm bored.

Honest opinion of me?

You're a new member, so automatically are less cooler since yiu didn't witness the golden age of DDO
Cermank
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2015 4:16:43 AM
At 12/13/2015 1:04:49 PM, tejretics wrote:
Kejriwal vs Modi -- who do you support? (I remember reading a blog post of yours that said you supported the former...)

Bath suck balls.

I honestly don't know though, I'd say I prefer modi because regardless of everything: he's still bringing in investment and trying to build brand india, which is something monumentally important right now. And Kejriwal is too much of a drama queen. I'd be on a dharna right now if I wasn't a broke college student with no cars, like his odd even car thing is actually dumb.

But regardless, if I could I'd prefer to mix modis bent of mind with Kejriwals personality. The only reason I don't like modi is because of the hindutva brand he represents, and the effects that has on people's expectations. Kejriwal phenomenon, when it was thete, actually brought about a change, something I experienced in person. Such a shame his policies are dumb.

Music: Depends on my mood. I used to listen to a lot of Eminem during finals. Generally I prefer pop/ indie pop.

My all time fav is breathless by shankar mahadevan.

Food: dal makhni. Just came from mumbai and mumbai doesn't know how to cook dal makhni. At all. Delhi thali>>>>> mumbai thali.

Fruit: Lichis

I don't watch TV :( although sarabhai was amazing.

Opinion on beef ban?

Hate. Forcing other people to follow your principles is reflective of weak morals.
Cermank
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2015 4:36:23 AM
At 12/13/2015 6:32:07 PM, lamerde wrote:
How has DDO changed (or not changed) since you joined?
How have you changed (or not changed) since you joined DDO?

I don't think DDO has changed as much as I have gone over the median age. There was always drama, and even though it seems like it was much less juvenile and more fun than what it is today - it might just be a case of rosy retrospection.

I definitely have changed a lot, although it is mostly just growing up. I made really strong friendships on here, had conversations that changed my views on certain topics, learned to be understanding and coherent while arguing. Just lots of stuff. It is a closely knit community, even if it's juvenile.
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2015 4:50:58 AM
At 12/14/2015 4:16:43 AM, Cermank wrote:

Bath suck balls.

I honestly don't know though, I'd say I prefer modi because regardless of everything: he's still bringing in investment and trying to build brand india, which is something monumentally important right now. And Kejriwal is too much of a drama queen. I'd be on a dharna right now if I wasn't a broke college student with no cars, like his odd even car thing is actually dumb.

But regardless, if I could I'd prefer to mix modis bent of mind with Kejriwals personality. The only reason I don't like modi is because of the hindutva brand he represents, and the effects that has on people's expectations. Kejriwal phenomenon, when it was thete, actually brought about a change, something I experienced in person. Such a shame his policies are dumb.

Kejriwal is too much of an idealist. Modi would be awesome if he wasn't surrounded by too much of the far-right, lol.

Music: Depends on my mood. I used to listen to a lot of Eminem during finals. Generally I prefer pop/ indie pop.

I should listen to that

Food: dal makhni. Just came from mumbai and mumbai doesn't know how to cook dal makhni. At all. Delhi thali>>>>> mumbai thali.

It has been a while since I tried that, lol...

They're also my grandma's favorite fruit (I discovered that yesterday)

Opinion on beef ban?

Hate. Forcing other people to follow your principles is reflective of weak morals.

Regardless of the sh!tty conservative reasons that the politicians use to justify a beef ban, to me it's one step towards eradicating speciesism and protecting the environment. I'm way too far-left :P
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2015 5:23:44 AM
At 12/11/2015 8:36:15 PM, Cermank wrote:
At 12/11/2015 8:23:10 PM, Mirza wrote:
Who has the best avatar here?

I loved maikurus spiderman one. Mostly because nobody really understood what his avatar was on teh first sight. It was like abstract art.

https://49.media.tumblr.com...
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Cermank
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2015 5:29:46 AM
At 12/14/2015 4:50:58 AM, tejretics wrote:

Bath suck balls.

Kejriwal is too much of an idealist. Modi would be awesome if he wasn't surrounded by too much of the far-right, lol.

haha yes.

I should listen to that

do you know Hindi?

You need to try the Delhi one. I used to refuse the Mumbai one on principal. Dal makhni is like, the best dish evar.

Opinion on beef ban?

Regardless of the sh!tty conservative reasons that the politicians use to justify a beef ban, to me it's one step towards eradicating speciesism and protecting the environment. I'm way too far-left :P

haha that was a friends argument too. But if you want to ban beef because you want everyone to go vegetarian, a cow is the worst place to start. You're banning its meat because it goes against your religion, while allowing pig and chickens and fishes and all of them. It wont convert anyone.
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2015 5:33:43 AM
At 12/14/2015 5:29:46 AM, Cermank wrote:

Bath suck balls.

haha yes.

I should listen to that

do you know Hindi?

A bit. But English is my best language :p

You need to try the Delhi one. I used to refuse the Mumbai one on principal. Dal makhni is like, the best dish evar.

I'll keep that in mind lol

Opinion on beef ban?

haha that was a friends argument too. But if you want to ban beef because you want everyone to go vegetarian, a cow is the worst place to start. You're banning its meat because it goes against your religion, while allowing pig and chickens and fishes and all of them. It wont convert anyone.

You ban pigs, chickens, and fishes being slaughtered, you destroy the economy. It's just impractical. Start somewhere practical. Furthermore, like I said, the cattle slaughter industry harms the environment most in India, and the abuse is . . . just . . . horrendous. I cringe at the idea. I don't want anyone suffering so much pain.

I don't want to ban beef so "everyone . . . go[es] vegetarian," I'm saving a few cattle. Since it's practical enough (Indian economy doesn't depend on beef, etc), the more animals saved, the better.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com...
Cermank
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2015 5:58:43 AM
At 12/14/2015 5:33:43 AM, tejretics wrote:
At 12/14/2015 5:29:46 AM, Cermank wrote:

haha you might not understand it then, it is pure hindi. The kind of pure Hindi that almost resembles Urdu. Absolutely beautiful though.

I'll keep that in mind lol

You ban pigs, chickens, and fishes being slaughtered, you destroy the economy. It's just impractical. Start somewhere practical. Furthermore, like I said, the cattle slaughter industry harms the environment most in India, and the abuse is . . . just . . . horrendous. I cringe at the idea. I don't want anyone suffering so much pain.

I understand that, but the government is banning beef because it goes against the Hindu convictions, not because they care about the slaughter. Its furthering the religious agenda, signalling the bent of the government more than anything else. The kind of groundwork it lays for future policies is the worst thing ever.

I mean, I'm a vegetarian. I understand the cognitive dissonance of defending killing animals, but this isnt about animals. People who *would* support beef ban (or at least, the support base of the policy) are the ones who lead the dadri lynch. I dont want to encourage them.

I don't want to ban beef so "everyone . . . go[es] vegetarian," I'm saving a few cattle. Since it's practical enough (Indian economy doesn't depend on beef, etc), the more animals saved, the better.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com...

Beef is a cheap source of protein. The people its affecting are the people we should be protecting. Plus India is teh 5th largest producer of beef, an all India ban would definitely have a pretty huge impact on the livelihood of people. In terms of export, its the largest exported product and generates huge revenues. Banning it is going to have huge impact on the economy.
Cermank
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2015 6:02:43 AM

I should listen to that

do you know Hindi?

you should still listen to it haha. Its lovely.
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2015 6:11:53 AM
At 12/14/2015 6:02:43 AM, Cermank wrote:

I should listen to that

do you know Hindi?

(a) OMG that was awesome. It perfectly fits his style too. (b) It doesn't seem like the Hindi was very "pure" -- I understood most of it . . . unless all I know is pure Hindi and I won't be able to survive half a day in Mumbai or Delhi :P
Cermank
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2015 6:19:15 AM
At 12/14/2015 6:11:53 AM, tejretics wrote:

I should listen to that

do you know Hindi?

(a) OMG that was awesome. It perfectly fits his style too. (b) It doesn't seem like the Hindi was very "pure" -- I understood most of it . . . unless all I know is pure Hindi and I won't be able to survive half a day in Mumbai or Delhi :P

Haha oh Delhi and Mumbai hindi is absolutely not pure. 'Dard ki ranjh ki baatein' sorta hindi is kinda purer than the 'kahan hai chutiye' i'm used to listening :P
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2015 6:20:19 AM
At 12/14/2015 6:19:15 AM, Cermank wrote:

I should listen to that

do you know Hindi?

Haha oh Delhi and Mumbai hindi is absolutely not pure. 'Dard ki ranjh ki baatein' sorta hindi is kinda purer than the 'kahan hai chutiye' i'm used to listening :P

I know, that's why I said -- "unless all I know is pure Hindi and I won't be able to survive half a day in Mumbai or Delhi"
Cermank
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2015 6:25:10 AM
At 12/14/2015 6:20:19 AM, tejretics wrote:

I should listen to that

do you know Hindi?

I know, that's why I said -- "unless all I know is pure Hindi and I won't be able to survive half a day in Mumbai or Delhi"

oh damn. yep.

pure hindi is social suicide in delhi
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2015 6:26:40 AM
At 12/14/2015 6:25:10 AM, Cermank wrote:
At 12/14/2015 6:20:19 AM, tejretics wrote:

I should listen to that

do you know Hindi?

oh damn. yep.

pure hindi is social suicide in delhi

I have no idea if my hindi is "pure." Best alternative - talk in english. How good is the common person in Delhi with english?