Jump to topic:

Sexual Harassment and the Internet

Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2015 2:45:23 AM
Posted: 12 months ago
For this thread I'm going to (try to) put away my normal MRA-ness.

Of what I've heard, the average woman (or female account) on the internet will be subjected to considerable amounts of sexual harassment. I've actually heard that on certain websites the average profile of a 13 year old girl will receive several sexually suggestive messages within the first hour.

So I want to hear it from the perspective of female users here on DDO. Have you been subjected to sexual harassment on DDO? If so, could you please relay your experience and describe how that made you feel?
Thanks in advance. :)
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
SM2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2015 4:31:03 AM
At 12/14/2015 2:45:23 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
I've actually heard that on certain websites the average profile of a 13 year old girl will receive several sexually suggestive messages within the first hour.

I'm suddenly reluctant to ever let my daughter use social media.
Emilrose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2015 5:18:46 AM
*cough Drim cough*

Here I think there's been about one instance--but it still doesn't correspond with my idea of 'sexual harassment'...which is mainly a physical one. In real life there's been *many* experiences. Just this Friday I was out and a guy (who was around 50, AND with his daughter), called me 'sweet cheeks' and grabbed my a_ss...it can be as common outside the Internet as it is on.
Commentator on a picture with David Cameron and a Cat: 'Amazing what you can achieve with photoshop these days. I'm sure that used to be a pig.'

Commentator on Hillary Clinton: 'If Clinton is now what passes for progressive, maybe this country deserves Trump.'

Commentator on British parliament: 'All that talent in one place, where is Ebola when you need it?'

John Kerry on words: 'These aren't just words, folks.'
XLAV
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2015 1:15:50 PM

Of what I've heard, the average woman (or female account) on the internet will be subjected to considerable amounts of sexual harassment. I've actually heard that on certain websites the average profile of a 13 year old girl will receive several sexually suggestive messages within the first hour.

So I want to hear it from the perspective of female users here on DDO. Have you been subjected to sexual harassment on DDO? If so, could you please relay your experience and describe how that made you feel?

LOL yes.

During my days of being a girl, I've received tons of messages and some of them are very weird.

From my perspective, it made me feel wanted and a little bit creep'd out, but I liked it. Though then again, I did want the attention.
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2015 12:56:55 AM
I once switched my account gender to female and almost immediately started receiving more messages and friend requests. It made me feel validated in my belief that this website, specifically, and the internet, more generally, are not where I should be spending my time.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2015 2:10:42 AM

Though I'm not a female I've had some things thrown my way. Though I think this comes down to the semantics of what is sexual harassment.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
TheChristian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2015 2:29:54 AM

So I'm not female, nor have I ever claimed to be (But bish if I wanted to I'd be a fabulous woman) But from some gay guys I have been "Sexually harassed" in that some gay guys I've met have harassed me and tried to get me to have sex with them or do this or do that, online. I have received steamy messages from gay boys/men as well as straight girls. And I am blasted when I turn them down.