Bossy got into NYU

ShabShoral
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2015 10:24:43 PM
Posted: 12 months ago
Time for debt!
"This site is trash as a debate site. It's club penguin for dysfunctional adults."

~ Skepsikyma <3

"Your idea of good writing is like Spinoza mixed with Heidegger."

~ Dylly Dylly Cat Cat

"You seem to aspire to be a cross between a Jewish hipster, an old school WASP aristocrat, and a political iconoclast"

~ Thett the Mighty

"fvck omg ur face"

~ Liz

"No aspect of your facial structure suggests Filipino descent."
~ YYW
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2015 10:52:48 PM
At 12/15/2015 10:24:43 PM, ShabShoral wrote:
Time for debt!

Congratulations!

Be sure to check with the university to see if they have any student loan options that would be better than any offers from the local banks. Play it smart. Also, applying for grants and work-for-credits options are available too.

What are you going to major in?
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2015 10:58:53 PM
Time for debt!

Congrats Bossy! I think DetectableNinja, if you remember him, also goes to NYU.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2015 11:02:54 PM
Go Bossy! Here's some college advice:

-Take out as much student loan money as possible--it's like having free cash!

-Make sure to pick a soft major, preferably something like gender or ethnic studies. Companies are turning away from STEM majors and the job market for liberal arts has never been better.

-When drinking, if you can still effectively move your fingers you haven't had enough. The general rule is one shot for each year of your age, plus five more to prove you're a man.

-Also when drinking, try not to drink too much water, otherwise you'll be peeing all night!

-If you feel like doing drugs, make sure to do them in your dorm. Since there are less cops, you're less likely to get caught there than if you do them at a friends house.

-C's get degrees.

-If you disagree with the way a professor has graded an assignment, it's always best to publicly confront them in front of everyone out of class and no matter what do not take no for an answer.

-During each class make sure to have your cell phone handy so that you can swiftly add anything you need to to your calendar or look up anything that needs clarification.

-When studying it's best to have as many distractions as possible so that your brain has more ques to remember something. The ideal is to be listening to music with one ear bud while the TV is on and you're chatting on Facebook with a half open book on your lap.

-Make sure you always buy your textbooks new. They could've lost some information if they were previously used.

-In terms of the opposite sex, be as direct and blunt as possibly. College girls will do anything so courtship is really dead. If you're walking on campus and you see a pretty girl, just take her by the hand, give her your business card containing your address, and say "Meet me at my place after class" with a wink before slinking off.

-Whatever you do, don't join any clubs or organizations. Those are for try hards.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
ShabShoral
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2015 11:09:41 PM
At 12/15/2015 10:52:48 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
Time for debt!

Congratulations!

Be sure to check with the university to see if they have any student loan options that would be better than any offers from the local banks. Play it smart. Also, applying for grants and work-for-credits options are available too.
I'm getting about 47k in grants + scholarships and the rest is covered by work study + the loans they're offering me. I'm not going to have to take out any outside loans, which is really nice.
I applied to Gallatin, which is a school in NYU which lets you "create" your own major. You graduate with a bachelor's in "Individualized Study" with a concentration in whatever you cobble together.

I'm planning on doing a philosophy/psych/sociology/politics/linguistics type thing.
"This site is trash as a debate site. It's club penguin for dysfunctional adults."

~ Skepsikyma <3

~ Dylly Dylly Cat Cat

"You seem to aspire to be a cross between a Jewish hipster, an old school WASP aristocrat, and a political iconoclast"

~ Thett the Mighty

"fvck omg ur face"

~ Liz

~ YYW
ShabShoral
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2015 11:10:10 PM
At 12/15/2015 10:58:53 PM, 000ike wrote:
Time for debt!

Congrats Bossy! I think DetectableNinja, if you remember him, also goes to NYU.

I'm coming for him.

~ Skepsikyma <3

~ Dylly Dylly Cat Cat

~ Thett the Mighty

"fvck omg ur face"

~ Liz

~ YYW
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2015 11:12:38 PM
At 12/15/2015 11:09:41 PM, ShabShoral wrote:
Time for debt!

Congratulations!

I'm getting about 47k in grants + scholarships and the rest is covered by work study + the loans they're offering me. I'm not going to have to take out any outside loans, which is really nice.
I applied to Gallatin, which is a school in NYU which lets you "create" your own major. You graduate with a bachelor's in "Individualized Study" with a concentration in whatever you cobble together.

I'm planning on doing a philosophy/psych/sociology/politics/linguistics type thing.

Oh my God that sounds like heaven. Enjoy it, man
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2015 11:14:16 PM
At 12/15/2015 11:02:54 PM, thett3 wrote:

-Make sure to pick a soft major, preferably something like gender or ethnic studies. Companies are turning away from STEM majors and the job market for liberal arts has never been better.

-When drinking, if you can still effectively move your fingers you haven't had enough. The general rule is one shot for each year of your age, plus five more to prove you're a man.

-Also when drinking, try not to drink too much water, otherwise you'll be peeing all night!

-If you feel like doing drugs, make sure to do them in your dorm. Since there are less cops, you're less likely to get caught there than if you do them at a friends house.

-C's get degrees.

-If you disagree with the way a professor has graded an assignment, it's always best to publicly confront them in front of everyone out of class and no matter what do not take no for an answer.

-During each class make sure to have your cell phone handy so that you can swiftly add anything you need to to your calendar or look up anything that needs clarification.

-When studying it's best to have as many distractions as possible so that your brain has more ques to remember something. The ideal is to be listening to music with one ear bud while the TV is on and you're chatting on Facebook with a half open book on your lap.

-Make sure you always buy your textbooks new. They could've lost some information if they were previously used.

-In terms of the opposite sex, be as direct and blunt as possibly. College girls will do anything so courtship is really dead. If you're walking on campus and you see a pretty girl, just take her by the hand, give her your business card containing your address, and say "Meet me at my place after class" with a wink before slinking off.

-Whatever you do, don't join any clubs or organizations. Those are for try hards.

Best. Advice. Ever.
Tsar of DDO
ShabShoral
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2015 11:15:18 PM

Ooh, I like free money. That's why I convinced my mother to give me five of her credit cards!
"individualized study" fits the bill!
Wow, I already do more than that. I should ease back!
Vodka's basically water, right?
Greenwich Village
-C's get degrees.
Def.
Out of class? I always do it in the middle of the lecture.
+ I can stream the Mets game!
I can personally confirm this tip.
And always buy them before the first day of class! You never want to come unprepared!
I've already ordered my calling cards. This works best in red bermuda-shorts and a pink polo (with the collar popped, of course).

#TurntUp

~ Skepsikyma <3

~ Dylly Dylly Cat Cat

~ Thett the Mighty

"fvck omg ur face"

~ Liz

~ YYW
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2015 11:18:50 PM

-C's get degrees.

This is, like, literally my college survival guide.
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
lamerde
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2015 11:44:32 PM
Congrats!
Why I ignore YYW:
http://www.debate.org...
Calling someone a bitch multiple times while claiming you're taking the high road is an art form, I suppose: http://www.debate.org...
FourTrouble
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2015 2:15:33 AM

-C's get degrees.

lmao
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2015 3:42:24 AM
Time for debt!

And political correctness.

Be ready.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
ShabShoral
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2015 3:47:43 AM
At 12/16/2015 3:42:24 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
Time for debt!

Be ready.

I'll be the only straight guy in a sea of artsy women. It's so worth it.

~ Skepsikyma <3

~ Dylly Dylly Cat Cat

~ Thett the Mighty

"fvck omg ur face"

~ Liz

~ YYW
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2015 3:49:34 AM
At 12/16/2015 3:47:43 AM, ShabShoral wrote:
At 12/16/2015 3:42:24 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
Time for debt!

Be ready.

I'll be the only straight guy in a sea of artsy women. It's so worth it.

Fair enough.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2015 6:29:14 AM
Time for debt!

Congratulations!

Wait, this is quite fascinating. I looked into it a little bit on the website but still don't really "get" it. So, essentially under this program you can attend basically any class you want from any school on the campus? That's the impression I received.

Also, what is the actual weight that a individualized study degree carry? Are there masters programs that would recognize that degree as having any sort of higher or lower value than other competing graduates with specific degrees?
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
ShabShoral
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2015 7:03:47 AM
At 12/16/2015 6:29:14 AM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
Time for debt!

Congratulations!

Wait, this is quite fascinating. I looked into it a little bit on the website but still don't really "get" it. So, essentially under this program you can attend basically any class you want from any school on the campus? That's the impression I received.
Essentially, assuming the class isn't locked to a specific school/major (most aren't, as far as I know, as long as you have the prereqs for it).

I dunno if you've read this, but it explains it pretty well: http://gallatin.nyu.edu...
Also, what is the actual weight that a individualized study degree carry? Are there masters programs that would recognize that degree as having any sort of higher or lower value than other competing graduates with specific degrees?

Well, I mean, it depends on the school. The program is great if you know exactly what you want to study in grad school, as it shows that you're focused, and, moreover, passionate about specifics, not just something vague and generic. It's kind of similar to what schools like Hampshire college do, and Hampshire is noted to produce an outstanding number of students who go to grad school, so it must have some positive correlation, and, in addition to the fact that NYU is a much stronger school than Hampshire, it should be fine.

Plus, NYU for grad school is my top choice at the moment (it's tops in the world in philosophy), so it shouldn't be a problem.

~ Skepsikyma <3

~ Dylly Dylly Cat Cat

~ Thett the Mighty

"fvck omg ur face"

~ Liz

~ YYW
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2015 4:57:27 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
Congrats bossy :)

Time for debt!

Congratulations!

Excellent idea!
The thing is, I hate relativism. I hate relativism more than I hate everything else, excepting, maybe, fibreglass powerboats... What it overlooks, to put it briefly and crudely, is the fixed structure of human nature. - Jerry Fodor

Don't be a stat cynic:

Response to conservative views on deforestation:

Topics I'd like to debate (not debating ATM): http://tinyurl.com...
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2015 5:02:52 AM
Time for debt!

Congrats!
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2015 5:04:55 AM
At 12/16/2015 7:03:47 AM, ShabShoral wrote:
At 12/16/2015 6:29:14 AM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
Time for debt!

Congratulations!

Essentially, assuming the class isn't locked to a specific school/major (most aren't, as far as I know, as long as you have the prereqs for it).

I dunno if you've read this, but it explains it pretty well: http://gallatin.nyu.edu...

Well, I mean, it depends on the school. The program is great if you know exactly what you want to study in grad school, as it shows that you're focused, and, moreover, passionate about specifics, not just something vague and generic. It's kind of similar to what schools like Hampshire college do, and Hampshire is noted to produce an outstanding number of students who go to grad school, so it must have some positive correlation, and, in addition to the fact that NYU is a much stronger school than Hampshire, it should be fine.

Plus, NYU for grad school is my top choice at the moment (it's tops in the world in philosophy), so it shouldn't be a problem.

Some undergrad programs frown upon students continuing on for their grad degree in the same institutions. Some even (unofficially) ban it, so do your best to form connections with a handful of professors and ask them for some insights in that regard.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...